Applying for 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
got this from Howard today, in case anyone else is applying there:

GREETINGS FROM HOWARD UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF MEDICINE, WASHINGTON D.C.

PLEASE DO NOT RESPOND TO THIS EMAIL.

THIS IS JUST A SHORT NOTE TO LET YOU KNOW THAT THE 2008 HUCM SECONDARY WILL BE AVAILABLE ON OR ABOUT AUGUST 15.

ALL VERIFIED AMCAS APPLICANTS WILL RECEIVE, VIA EMAIL, AN INVITATION TO COMPLETE THE HOWARD SECONDARY ALONG WITH THE LOCATION OF THE SECONDARY ON THE HUCM ADMISSIONS WEBPAGE.

THE HUCM ADMISSIONS WEBPAGE IS CURRENTLY BEING REVISED.

INTERVIEWS WILL BEGIN DURING MID-SEPTEMBER AND WILL CONTINUE THROUGH APRIL.

WE HOPE THIS ANSWERS A FEW OF YOUR QUESTIONS. ALL CORRESPONDENCE FROM HUCM WILL BE SENT TO YOUR EMAIL ADDRESS -- EXCEPT FOR THE DECISION LETTER. SO, KEEP YOUR SPAM BLOCKERS LOW AND CHECK YOUR JUNK EMAIL FREQUENTLY.

SINCERELY,

HOWARD UNIVERSITY COLLEGE OF MEDICINE OFFICE OF ADMISSIONS

Members don't see this ad.

Hey we have the same MCAT score... congrats to you too!

Filling out all these secondaries makes me wonder why I'm applying to like 20 schools...

Really? Thanks, and congrats to you also :). I am applying to 20 or so schools too - I can't imagine filling out all of the secondaries is exactly the most fun thing of all time. Hopefully the interviews will be rolling in soon enough :). Goodluck this application cycle!

Really? Thanks, and congrats to you also :). I am applying to 20 or so schools too - I can't imagine filling out all of the secondaries is exactly the most fun thing of all time. Hopefully the interviews will be rolling in soon enough :). Goodluck this application cycle!
Do them as fast as you possibly can. The sooner you get them in, the sooner you can start getting invites, and the sooner you'll get accepted. It sounds like you both will be very strong applicants anyway, but still, there is no better feeling than having your first acceptance on Oct. 15 (which is the earliest day of regular acceptance). I did my secondaries in the order received, unless one came in that wasn't very labor-intensive. (Some just gouge you for a little extra money and/or just want a form filled out without tons of essays.) If either of you is applying to Duke, here's fair warning that it's a doozy.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Q. You are going in the right direction but if you get held up with your secondaries and your LORs the process can be much more stressful and disappointing. Although it is challenging I would recommend no longer than a 3 day turn around on when you receive your 2ndary and when it is mailed with the check. Like Q said, having an acceptance on Oct. 15 is GREAT. I got one on Oct. 16 last year and the rest of my senior year was care free (lol, that can be a bad thing too :) )

I really appreciate the advice; I will definitely minimize the secondary turn around time. The only thing which could hold me back are my LORS, which will all be in by late August (waiting on my research PI). :thumbup:

I really appreciate the advice; I will definitely minimize the secondary turn around time. The only thing which could hold me back are my LORS, which will all be in by late August (waiting on my research PI). :thumbup:
Go ahead and submit the secondaries ASAP anyway. That way your files will be complete and ready to go as soon as your LORs arrive. Plus, since you're applying to 20+ schools (which I did also), you are in real danger of drowning in a secondary avalanche unless you keep up with them. It's kind of a feast or famine thing. One week I'd get nothing, and then the next week I'd get three or four of them all within the span of two days. :p

hiya...

so I am frustrated... I have been turning around the secondaries quickly... I had everything into my pre-health office by end of june... but my committee letter and packet won't be sent out until next week..and I still doubt it because she has been telling me that "next week line" since the last week in june... I am afraid i am going to be too late and i have missed the boat on "being early"

Me

hiya...

so I am frustrated... I have been turning around the secondaries quickly... I had everything into my pre-health office by end of june... but my committee letter and packet won't be sent out until next week..and I still doubt it because she has been telling me that "next week line" since the last week in june... I am afraid i am going to be too late and i have missed the boat on "being early"

Me

Go ahead and turn in everything that you can at this point. Your completed application will be a bit later but definitely not "late". Be sure to keep following up on your committee letters and packet. If necessary, since you have been getting a bit of "run around" since the end of June, drop an e-mail to the Dean and make note of the deadlines that you made but the pre-med committee did not.

Again, if you get everything done by first couple of weeks in August, you will be OK; just a bit later than the "early" folks. Good luck!

I'm sorry to hear that its your committee letter thats holding you up. If all the schools are waiting for is your LOR, you are still at the tail end of applying early. I say that you really hound your committee letter writers so it can get sent out quickly. I don't think that you will be at so much of a disadvantage; even if the schools get your LOR by the beginning of August.

With MCAT scores like you guys, I sure am glad my secondaries are in, or I wouldn't stand a CHANCE!!! :scared: :laugh:

EXCELLENT work!!! Good :luck: this cycle... agree with all the above - don't waste a second with those secondaries!

-Mbound

hiya...

so I sent an email to my pre-health advisor directly and he said... he thinks i am in good shape if all they are waiting for are my LORs and comittee packet...the reason they are going to go out next week is because he wont be around for a week to sign the letters...he doesn't think I have to express mail them and that they should get them all by mid august...this is still upsetting to me but I don't know what else to do... I WILL go to his office every day next week to make sure that they are in fact sent out by his secretary...and continue to work on secondaries this weekend....hopefully being complete at all the schools my mid august is good enough...thanks for the advice

Mel:)

hiya...

so I sent an email to my pre-health advisor directly and he said... he thinks i am in good shape if all they are waiting for are my LORs and comittee packet...the reason they are going to go out next week is because he wont be around for a week to sign the letters...he doesn't think I have to express mail them and that they should get them all by mid august...this is still upsetting to me but I don't know what else to do... I WILL go to his office every day next week to make sure that they are in fact sent out by his secretary...and continue to work on secondaries this weekend....hopefully being complete at all the schools my mid august is good enough...thanks for the advice

it sounds like you are keepin' on them as much as possible. it sucks that the LORs are what's holding you up. my pre-med advisors always said that applicants should aim to be complete by the end of august, so it sounds like you are still in great shape :D

Anyone hear anything back from Meharry or Morehouse since submitting secondaries to them?

Members don't see this ad :)
lol thanks MSTPBound :). You have the most awesome ECs of all time. I think I am going to take kung fu this semester, any advice?

lol thanks MSTPBound :). You have the most awesome ECs of all time. I think I am going to take kung fu this semester, any advice?

Depending on which style, I can offer more specific advice, but in general try this:

The Chinese characters for the term "kung fu" or "gung fu" roughly translate into something earned with a lot of "time and effort" - you might say that Tiger Woods has "kung fu" on the golf course, or Michael Jordan had great basketball "kung fu". Keep that in mind and you'll realize that the secret to mastery is the same as it is for everything else - Work hard, practice constantly, stay focused and NEVER, EVER, EVER give up.

Thanks to kung fu, I found organic chemistry, physics and calculus all remarkably easy :cool: - so my guess is you'll do quite well. ;)

-Mbound

Not yet...I am still waiting....these two schools are my only hope of getting in....I wish you the best

Anyone hear anything back from Meharry or Morehouse since submitting secondaries to them?

I have not yet....these two schools are my only hope of getting in because of my low gpa and mcat....Iwish you the best

I have not yet....these two schools are my only hope of getting in because of my low gpa and mcat....Iwish you the best
I apologize if you've already told your story and I just missed it, but I don't understand why you're applying right now if you already know that your GPA and MCAT are too low to allow you to be a competitive applicant. There are ways to raise low numbers, and it might be worth the time and effort to do it if it would greatly increase your chances of being a successful applicant. Have you considered taking a couple of years off to take extra classes and boost your GPA, then retaking the MCAT so that you can apply with stronger numbers?

I apologize if you've already told your story and I just missed it, but I don't understand why you're applying right now if you already know that your GPA and MCAT are too low to allow you to be a competitive applicant. There are ways to raise low numbers, and it might be worth the time and effort to do it if it would greatly increase your chances of being a successful applicant. Have you considered taking a couple of years off to take extra classes and boost your GPA, then retaking the MCAT so that you can apply with stronger numbers?

I actually did take some post bacc classes to raise my GPA....I actually did well. I also got my masters in sci education and graduated with a 3.9. The reason why I wrote that is because I just assumed Medical schools would only focus on my undergrad GPA....Hopefully they look at the whole package......

I actually did take some post bacc classes to raise my GPA....I actually did well. I also got my masters in sci education and graduated with a 3.9. The reason why I wrote that is because I just assumed Medical schools would only focus on my undergrad GPA....Hopefully they look at the whole package......
Ah, so you do have recent good grades. :thumbup: I can't speak for all schools, but strong upward trends do matter to at least some schools, even if your overall stats are still below the average. :luck: to you with your apps. :)

Has anyone had anymore invites for interviews.....its been kind of quite lately. Anyone heard from morehouse or meharry.....

Has anyone had anymore invites for interviews.....its been kind of quite lately. Anyone heard from morehouse or meharry.....

No. It has been really quiet! I am worried.

i got invites from Case Western and VCU last week, but nothing else in the last 7 days or so

I got an invite from Tulane last week, and another from Vanderbilt on Monday... haven't heard much from the HBCUs

No. It has been really quiet! I am worried.

Don't be worried yet, I don't think anyone has heard from Meharry or Morehouse and we know the secondary from howard does not come out until next week.... Keep up the faith, I will be praying for you.....:luck:

Any updates? How is everything coming along for you gals and guys for this admissions cycle?:confused:

Keep us abreast of your progress. Good luck!!!:luck:

Don't be worried yet, I don't think anyone has heard from Meharry or Morehouse and we know the secondary from howard does not come out until next week.... Keep up the faith, I will be praying for you.....:luck:

O.K. thanks....I need the prayer!

Lol, trust me folks, you'll defnitely wait for HU to get their stuff in order. They are a great school, but stuff just moves a little slow. You'll probably hear from Morehosue and Meharry pretty soon though because their secondary is online, and they are pretty organized (primariliy Morehouse though).

im a URM (native american) resident of Missouri. I applied to University of Nebraska and got an interview invite. After the interview invite I found out that my Indian Tribe makes me eligible for residency status in the State of Nebraska

I am pretty confident about my chances here (8PS,10BS,11V=29R and 3.63GPA)

Any reason to not be, especially now that I am an in-stater?

Good luck everyone
Blake

Lol, trust me folks, you'll defnitely wait for HU to get their stuff in order. They are a great school, but stuff just moves a little slow. You'll probably hear from Morehosue and Meharry pretty soon though because their secondary is online, and they are pretty organized (primariliy Morehouse though).

How long did it take you to hear back from morehouse and meharry, and how did they notify you....by mail or email or website.....

im a URM (native american) resident of Missouri. I applied to University of Nebraska and got an interview invite. After the interview invite I found out that my Indian Tribe makes me eligible for residency status in the State of Nebraska

I am pretty confident about my chances here (8PS,10BS,11V=29R and 3.63GPA)

Any reason to not be, especially now that I am an in-stater?

Good luck everyone
Blake

I think that the first rule in applying to medical school is to not be overly confident about your chances of acceptance. 4.0 students with 39 MCAT scores haven't gotten accepted to Harvard and JHU before. Its about you as a "whole" applicant, with grades, MCAT, ECs, etc. factored in. With that being said, instate residency just help, because most state medical schools have to reach a certain quota of interviewed and accepted instate students. I would say that you are competitive for the school, but things can always get weird when its time to apply, so stay prayerful.

How long did it take you to hear back from morehouse and meharry, and how did they notify you....by mail or email or website.....

I can't remember exactly when I got notification of a secondary or interview from those schools, but I do remember that I interviewed at Morehouse in October and at Meharry in November.

hiya...well they say that howard's secondary comes out tomorrow!!! let's hope so...almost done with all the secs now:)...I think after tomorrow I have 6 more not counting howard's...ooh I feel myself getting lazy:)...ooh and my letters were all sent last thursday:)... i should have listened when ppl told me 35 schools were too many:)

Hey guys how's it going? I'm still waiting to be verified! :scared: I feel like I am so late in the process but I'm not going to worry anymore. I have received a secondary in my portfolio and just waiting for the others to arrive. I got one secondary and I've been trying to work on it and waiting on my MCAT score from 8/9. :( It's all good thoug!!

When did you submit? You aren't really that late, especially if you have all of your secondaries in by Sept. 15. (that date isn't really set, but the earlier the better)

I submitted 8/6 and all transcripts were received by early July so that isn't an issue. How will all my secondaries be in by Sept. 15 if I haven't received most of them yet? Just trying to get as much info as possible. I guess if I do them as they come in it could be done, I mean anything can be accomplished with effort.

I submitted 8/6 and all transcripts were received by early July so that isn't an issue. How will all my secondaries be in by Sept. 15 if I haven't received most of them yet? Just trying to get as much info as possible. I guess if I do them as they come in it could be done, I mean anything can be accomplished with effort.

Hey sistahnik, to how many schools are you applying? I predict that you will be verified somewhere in the week of August 27, assuming your transcripts were in before you submitted (I wouldn't put money on my prediction though, knowing how AMCAS can be...lol). Supposing you're verified by labor day, and that you've been working on some secondary essays while waiting, you can submit a lot before Sept 15th. I was verified on 8/2, and finished 10 applications by 8/15 (and I hadn't been working on any while waiting for verification).

All of my transcripts were def in and marked as received before I submitted. I'm going to start working on those 2ndaries that I can access. I tried to access Meharry's but you have to create an account. Is this ok to do now? So far I applied to 12 schools, but plan to add about 5 more.

I finally got verified :smuggrin:...it took about 3 weeks

:laugh::laugh:where did we all go?? are we all just so bust filling out secs that we don't post here anymore?? how is everyone doing??

I finished 10 of 18 secondaries (haven't received 3 of the 18), but over the past week I have barely accomplished anything... I think I'm starting to experience secondary burnout :laugh:. Some of the remaining schools are top choices, so I need to get on this, for real!

On a positive note, I did receive some sort of auto-invite from Michigan. :D
I say sort of because I hadn't yet turned in my secondary or LOR's, but at the same time I received it 15 days after I got the secondary, which leads me to believe that they reviewed the rest of my AMCAS app.

Hey everybody!

Just a status update from me, as well. I submitted 10 applications and have received 5 so far. All 5 secondaries have been returned and I'm tired....

Not really tired, but this application business really brings out the true madness to this "organized system" we call medical education. I am hoping to be graced with the rest of my secondaires, but I also realize that I was only verified 13 days ago and I added schools a week after being verified. So, I am not too worried. I wish everyone the best and hope to be hearing soon about everyone's interviews!

I finished 10 of 18 secondaries (haven't received 3 of the 18), but over the past week I have barely accomplished anything... I think I'm starting to experience secondary burnout :laugh:. Some of the remaining schools are top choices, so I need to get on this, for real!

On a positive note, I did receive some sort of auto-invite from Michigan. :D
I say sort of because I hadn't yet turned in my secondary or LOR's, but at the same time I received it 15 days after I got the secondary, which leads me to believe that they reviewed the rest of my AMCAS app.

congratulations!!! I don't think you will have any trouble with your stats...they just have to get your application:)

I am starting to understanding your burnout... I have submitted...17/25 MD secs and 5/10 DO secs... I am losing steam but I replaced my printer yesterday I have two days off from work... I am doing the rest of them today.... I started to finally get the emails saying that I am complete at the schools last week:)... and I have three/four interviews.... 1 MD, 3 DO...so this is quite exciting...:)

good luck everyone!!!

p.s. wutwinb I just glanced at your md apps!!! you go girl!! good luck and congratulations on all your interviews!!!!!!!

congratulations!!! I don't think you will have any trouble with your stats...they just have to get your application:)

I am starting to understanding your burnout... I have submitted...17/25 MD secs and 5/10 DO secs... I am losing steam but I replaced my printer yesterday I have two days off from work... I am doing the rest of them today.... I started to finally get the emails saying that I am complete at the schools last week:)... and I have three/four interviews.... 1 MD, 3 DO...so this is quite exciting...:)

good luck everyone!!!

p.s. wutwinb I just glanced at your md apps!!! you go girl!! good luck and congratulations on all your interviews!!!!!!!

thanks so much!!! congrats on your interviews as well! i'm nervous to get them started, but hopefully we'll be posting about acceptances soon :luck:

Drowning in secondaries here :scared:. I guess I know what I'll be doing all labor day weekend :D.

i'm still trying to get LORs, I should have done that at the beginning of June while I was getting my transcripts taken care of :rolleyes: ... I have 3 done, 1 is being written, and I'm still trying to get in touch with one person to write one....good times :thumbdown: ....

anyhoo, I'm going to work on these secondaries over the weekend:hardy:

Drowning in secondaries here :scared:. I guess I know what I'll be doing all labor day weekend :D.

Likewise! I have 4 more to do, and haven't received 3 others... I'm hoping my burnout doesn't lead to haphazardly done secondaries... But I really don't want to spend TOO much more time on secondaries, as I'd like to have sufficient time to prepare for my Michigan interview.

Speaking of my interview, what are you guys doing to prepare for interviews? I feel like mine came so suddenly that I'm confused because I'm still in secondary mode..

btw, Congrats to wutwin & dancinRN on your interviews as well! here's to hoping we all have at least one acceptance around Oct 15th :luck: