2012-2013 Social Thread!! Let's start networking!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those of you who just graduate congrats and for those with pending graduation congrats to you! What are you doing to celebrate this life occasion?

Good luck to everyone completing a med school application this cycle! Submit early! This is very important considering the competitiveness but MAKE SURE what you submit is PLATINUM! It hurts you to submit early if it isn't worth anything. Like others mentioned, make sure the PS is a piece of art because it will take your application a long way. In addition, I had an overarching theme for my application, so I think if you have good stats and your app has a theme that ties every piece together like a puzzle, it will carry you a long way too. I wish my numbers were better but hey it did get me an interview at UTMB as an OOSer. Good luck and you're welcome to ask me questions.

Members don't see this ad.

For those of you who just graduate congrats and for those with pending graduation congrats to you! What are you doing to celebrate this life occasion?

Good luck to everyone completing a med school application this cycle! Submit early! This is very important considering the competitiveness but MAKE SURE what you submit is PLATINUM! It hurts you to submit early if it isn't worth anything. Like others mentioned, make sure the PS is a piece of art because it will take your application a long way. In addition, I had an overarching theme for my application, so I think if you have good stats and your app has a theme that ties every piece together like a puzzle, it will carry you a long way too. I wish my numbers were better but hey it did get me an interview at UTMB as an OOSer. Good luck and you're welcome to ask me questions.

+1...

And make friends along the interview trail, especially other minority applicants. Apply broadly, if I hear another URM apply to less than 10 schools I am going to throw up! I was three for three in interviews and acceptances. BRAG ABOUT YOURSELF and have no FEAR. Lastly, have a plan B, whether it is a special master's program or simply retaking the MCAT . If you have any questions about Special Master's message me.

Sooo much love in this thread, I like I like :D

Members don't see this ad :)
+1...

And make friends along the interview trail, especially other minority applicants. Apply broadly, if I hear another URM apply to less than 10 schools I am going to throw up! I was three for three in interviews and acceptances. BRAG ABOUT YOURSELF and have no FEAR. Lastly, have a plan B, whether it is a special master's program or simply retaking the MCAT . If you have any questions about Special Master's message me.

Congrats dude! Whoop! Whoop! :thumbup:

Makes me think of that DJ Khalid song "All I Do is Win..."

Sooo much love in this thread, I like I like :D

Keep the positive vibes coming....I'm gonna need some luck on this MCAT haha...keep floating in the 28-31 range...really want that 33...:scared:

Yeah good luck chem.
On another note.. Just received a job interview as a supervisor for laser tag arena. This summer might not be so bad after all.

To those of you who have already slayed this MCAT beast:

Did you all find that your practice AAMC tests ended up reflecting your actual score? I guess I'm starting to freak out. Here are my tests so far:

Kaplan Free: 10/12/10 (32)
TPR Free: 10/11/8 (29)
AAMC 3: 10/12/8 (30)
AAMC 5: 10/9/9 (28)
AAMC 7: 9/11/9 (29)

I am always riiiight near that 10 line (one or two dumb mistakes away) for PS. If I were to predict my score right now I'd say 10/11/9...which isn't good :laugh: Anybody find that they did better on the real deal than the practice AAMCs?

Yeah good luck chem.
On another note.. Just received a job interview as a supervisor for laser tag arena. This summer might not be so bad after all.

Yo laser tag is bomb. COngrats :thumbup: You should suit up in that vest, grab ya laser and go out there and show the kids what's up every now and then :smuggrin:

Did you all find that your practice AAMC tests ended up reflecting your actual score? I guess I'm starting to freak out. Here are my tests so far:

I am always riiiight near that 10 line (one or two dumb mistakes away) for PS. If I were to predict my score right now I'd say 10/11/9...which isn't good :laugh: Anybody find that they did better on the real deal than the practice AAMCs?

I'm right where you are! I just want to break 30.. I did pull a 32 on AAMC 8, but those MCAT threads got me shook :scared: lol

Good job! Those scores aren't bad at all. At least you're in the range of 30. I'd find that promising.

It seems like the practice tests are pretty good predictors of real scores, but I have come across a couple cases in the MCAT discussions where people scored below their average which is just scary :(

Hey wats going on ma brothas and sistas......first off ....congrats to those who have been accepted....just seeing the signatures saying "ACCEPTED CLASS OF 2017" is already encouraging......just to fill you guys in a little because is see that you guys have had this thread active since last month....im an AA male from Delaware....studying for the MCAT this summer...and hopefully gonna kill it

Members don't see this ad :)

When I took it, I got the average of each of my sections. So for me it was pretty accurate. Id say don't freak out yet. Keep a cool head and stay focused. You got this!

Hey wats going on ma brothas and sistas......first off ....congrats to those who have been accepted....just seeing the signatures saying "ACCEPTED CLASS OF 2017" is already encouraging......just to fill you guys in a little because is see that you guys have had this thread active since last month....im an AA male from Delaware....studying for the MCAT this summer...and hopefully gonna kill it

Welcome Welcome to the social thread where the main theme is "hustling" in these cold hard college streets lol. Good luck with Mcat.

When I took it, I got the average of each of my sections. So for me it was pretty accurate. Id say don't freak out yet. Keep a cool head and stay focused. You got this!

+1

I'm right where you are! I just want to break 30.. I did pull a 32 on AAMC 8, but those MCAT threads got me shook :scared: lol

Haha just took AAMC 8 this morning...12/10/9 ...it's really looking bad for me on Bio...I'm gonna do some reading this afternoon

Good luck!!!! You can do it!

To everyone who is about to take the MCAT..... Good luck!!!

Welcome! We are all rooting for you.

Good luck guys!!!! I decided to take another year off to do research but I agree that it's so encouraging to see other minorities accepted!!

@ChemEngMD when are you taking the MCAT?

Good luck guys!!!! I decided to take another year off to do research but I agree that it's so encouraging to see other minorities accepted!!

@ChemEngMD when are you taking the MCAT?

Thursday!!! :scared: Haha scored a 32 on AAMC 9 this morning...continuing my upward trend...hopefully 33 tomorrow on 10, 34 on 11 on tuesday then 45 on thursday...that makes sense right? :laugh:

Thursday!!! :scared: Haha scored a 32 on AAMC 9 this morning...continuing my upward trend...hopefully 33 tomorrow on 10, 34 on 11 on tuesday then 45 on thursday...that makes sense right? :laugh:

You're good!

hey whats going on everyone....hope your weekends are going well......i just have question regarding MCAT preparations. this is directed for those whom have either taken the MCAT or are currently studying for it. first, what study methods have you guys chosen? What was your experience with it (good or bad)? Lastly, any tips that you guys wouldn't mind offering to a brotha who is about to embark on this study journey. Thanks

hey whats going on everyone....hope your weekends are going well......i just have question regarding MCAT preparations. this is directed for those whom have either taken the MCAT or are currently studying for it. first, what study methods have you guys chosen? What was your experience with it (good or bad)? Lastly, any tips that you guys wouldn't mind offering to a brotha who is about to embark on this study journey. Thanks

If you can follow the SN2ed schedule that's on SDN you'll probably be okay.

If you can't do that... Definitely do ALL of the AAMC practice tests and thoroughly review them.

If you can follow the SN2ed schedule that's on SDN you'll probably be okay.

If you can't do that... Definitely do ALL of the AAMC practice tests and thoroughly review them.

this

Mainly good experiences using this schedule but it can be overwhelming since you're pretty much studying 8+ hours a day for 90+ days, but I took the MCAT last september and got a 32. Good luck guys

thanks guys....actually my SN2ed books will be here in a few days and i will be studying starting the 27th....but i will have to cut my studying short because i have to move back to school early for RA training in mid august....those results sound amazing tho....if i can pull off an MCAT like a 32 i will be in heaven....or atleast in med school

You're good!

I appreciate it bruh....took AAMC 10 today and got a 29 :scared: ...8/11/10...I've never got below a 10 on PS before and I went back and looked at it and I made some dumb, dumb, dumb mistakes...mis-clicking answers and misreading questions...there were about 5 I had correct on paper and messed up inputting...which would have gave me a 10...I'm getting paranoid as hell now about Thursday :laugh: I gotta tiptoe thru that mug and make sure I don't lose gimme points.

To homie just getting started studying....do lots and lots of practice passages and practice tests...knowing the material is important, but I honestly feel that you can jump from a 26 to 32 off of just test taking skills. I literally no 0 OChem and still manage to only get a couple wrong per test (mainly the discrete questions) off of process of elimination and using the passage.

The skills you use for verbal are just as helpful for PS and BS, remember that!

To homie just getting started studying....do lots and lots of practice passages and practice tests...knowing the material is important, but I honestly feel that you can jump from a 26 to 32 off of just test taking skills. I literally no 0 OChem and still manage to only get a couple wrong per test (mainly the discrete questions) off of process of elimination and using the passage.

The skills you use for verbal are just as helpful for PS and BS, remember that![/QUOTE]

Thanks big guy...i will definitely apply your advise....O CHEM is my weakest part for sure.....i saw before that you had gotten a 32 or something like that on #9 or something....you know what you are doing....you may be getting stressed and its just compiling and altering your scores......just try to KEEP KALM AND KILL IT...and you will be getting interview letters in about 5-6 months....you got this man...dont trip

i definitely messed up quoting...but you get the point

Thanks big guy...i will definitely apply your advise....O CHEM is my weakest part for sure.....i saw before that you had gotten a 32 or something like that on #9 or something....you know what you are doing....you may be getting stressed and its just compiling and altering your scores......just try to KEEP KALM AND KILL IT...and you will be getting interview letters in about 5-6 months....you got this man...dont trip

I appreciate the vote of confidence bruh. I'm trying to hit that 30-33 range. I just gotta keep my head in the game! Despite that test being lower I don't feel terrible about it because PS really hasn't bothered me much...if it hadn't been for those dumb mistakes I woulda had a 31 so I just gotta keep it together...

And Im trying to be accepted in 6 months :cool: I'm submitting mid-June and if that MCAT comes out in the range I want I'll be sending it to all my schools...going to pre-write secondaries too so I can be complete everywhere by mid-late July :thumbup: I recommend everyone else that can do this to as well...

I appreciate the vote of confidence bruh. I'm trying to hit that 30-33 range. I just gotta keep my head in the game! Despite that test being lower I don't feel terrible about it because PS really hasn't bothered me much...if it hadn't been for those dumb mistakes I woulda had a 31 so I just gotta keep it together...

And Im trying to be accepted in 6 months :cool: I'm submitting mid-June and if that MCAT comes out in the range I want I'll be sending it to all my schools...going to pre-write secondaries too so I can be complete everywhere by mid-late July :thumbup: I recommend everyone else that can do this to as well...

My bad for jumping in lol but if you submit before you get your mcat scores, once your scores are released all schools listed on your app will see the scores the same day they are released

My bad for jumping in lol but if you submit before you get your mcat scores, once your scores are released all schools listed on your app will see the scores the same day they are released

I know bruh, that's why I'm going to only submit to 1 school initially for verification purposes. Then I'll add schools afterwards :thumbup:

I know bruh, that's why I'm going to only submit to 1 school initially for verification purposes. Then I'll add schools afterwards :thumbup:

That works! Good luck homie!!! Apply broadly... Try to get FAP

That works! Good luck homie!!! Apply broadly... Try to get FAP

Yo I looked into it...my personal income qualifies and I'm independent (I'm 25 years old and on my own in grad school), but the fact that they take parents into account kinda screws me (my dad is in corporate America and makes good money now, but he didn't always). I did make sure to hook one of my undergraduate mentees up with FAP though and it's a dope deal, those 14 free apps plus being able to avoid paying most secondaries is great :thumbup:

I personally will be taking out probably close to $5k in loans to help get me through the app cycle :scared:

Yo I looked into it...my personal income qualifies and I'm independent (I'm 25 years old and on my own in grad school), but the fact that they take parents into account kinda screws me (my dad is in corporate America and makes good money now, but he didn't always). I did make sure to hook one of my undergraduate mentees up with FAP though and it's a dope deal, those 14 free apps plus being able to avoid paying most secondaries is great :thumbup:

I personally will be taking out probably close to $5k in loans to help get me through the app cycle :scared:

I had only worked a few months at my current job when I applied for FAP but my income and my dads was ~$75000 and I qualified for it. I don't know what numbers they are using this year but its worth a try.

Be glad you're in school and can take out loans! I didn't qualify and that came out of my pocket/savings entirely.

I had only worked a few months at my current job when I applied for FAP but my income and my dads was ~$75000 and I qualified for it. I don't know what numbers they are using this year but its worth a try.

It's supposed to be within ~300% of the federal poverty level for your given family size...my family is 6 but I don't count so 5 is $27,570*3=$82,710

I looked into it! haha (my parents combined are prob ~200k...I'm not gonna get any damn money for med school needs either :thumbdown:, will most likely be all loans for me)

It's supposed to be within ~300% of the federal poverty level for your given family size...my family is 6 but I don't count so 5 is $27,570*3=$82,710

I looked into it! haha (my parents combined are prob ~200k...I'm not gonna get any damn money for med school needs either :thumbdown:, will most likely be all loans for me)

It's an investment nonetheless. You'll get them next time TIGER. :D

If your parents file separately, use the parent that makes the least amount of money

If your parents file separately, use the parent that makes the least amount of money

BTW congrats on the full ride to two great schools. I would lean towards morehouse over wake. When I went W.S just seemed a little too dry. Would've posted this in other thread but I was already here and am lazy :thumbup:

BTW congrats on the full ride to two great schools. I would lean towards morehouse over wake. When I went W.S just seemed a little too dry. Would've posted this in other thread but I was already here and am lazy :thumbup:

+1 on all points. Man, wake is having a hard time attracting AA's. Everyone looking for money knows where they should apply this year.

Last edited:

Yeah bruh I totally forgot to say congrats in the other thread!!!! That's beyond awesome that you'll be in such a great financial situation after medical school :thumbup:

but as stated in the previous thread Atl>>>>>>>>Winston-Salem :laugh:

+1 on all points. Man, wake is having a hard time attracting AA's. Everyone looking for money knows where they should apply this year.

Word, Wake is a great school and gives out great aid......But that city though :sleep:

Hey everyone. I didn't take the time to read EVERY post on this thread. I just wanted to introduce myself, and hopefully make some networking connections happen. You never know right?

Anyway, I'm in a Post-Bacc program at University of Kansas Medical School. I'll be starting medical school in 2014. I applied to KU, got an interview, was rejected, invited to apply for the Post-Bacc Program (for underrepresented students), got accepted, and start the program this June. It lasts a year.

I'm a non-traditional student. I'll be 26 my first year of med school. I did my undergrad in mass communications. I took all of my prereqs at my local CC after graduation. DIY style in a way. So if anyone has questions about applications, interviews, MCAT prep, prereqs, and so on, just let me know! I'd even be glad to discuss anything about KU if you're thinking about applying there. Good luck all!

Hey everyone,
I used to be really active on these boards but haven't been on in a while. I just graduated mount sinai school of medicine, start residency in a month and moving to new jersey with my fiance and his son. Looking forward to a whole lot of scary changes. Anyone living in north jersey let me know. I was the region IX secretary for SNMA so i know a good number of URMs in the area but most have graduated and moved on.

Hey everyone. I didn't take the time to read EVERY post on this thread. I just wanted to introduce myself, and hopefully make some networking connections happen. You never know right?

Welcome welcome

Hey everyone,
I used to be really active on these boards but haven't been on in a while. I just graduated mount sinai school of medicine, start residency in a month and moving to new jersey with my fiance and his son. Looking forward to a whole lot of scary changes. Anyone living in north jersey let me know. I was the region IX secretary for SNMA so i know a good number of URMs in the area but most have graduated and moved on.

Great! It always cheers me up when minority med students ( or docs in your case :cool:) come by and show some love. Care to tell us about your experience at Sinai? I know a few of us are starting this fall and would love a little insight. Congrats on graduating as well

I'm staring down the barrel of a reapp and I'm trying to decide whether to take the MCAT again. I'm leaning toward no because of the expense, but my premed advisor told me flat out that a) 3 times is too many to take the MCAT and b) it's too risky to chance scoring lower than my current composite (31). She also thought it was worth while to toss in that since I haven't taken any classes this year I haven't done anything to better prepare myself for the MCAT (even though I scored a 31 four years out from any science classes and retaught myself EVERYTHING).

This is a woman who has always had my back even when others have actively tried to discourage and sabotage me so I was really surprised by her advice. So I wanted to ask what you guys thought. Money will probably end up being the limiting factor here anyway, but is she right?

I'm staring down the barrel of a reapp and I'm trying to decide whether to take the MCAT again. I'm leaning toward no because of the expense, but my premed advisor told me flat out that a) 3 times is too many to take the MCAT and b) it's too risky to chance scoring lower than my current composite (31). She also thought it was worth while to toss in that since I haven't taken any classes this year I haven't done anything to better prepare myself for the MCAT (even though I scored a 31 four years out from any science classes and retaught myself EVERYTHING).

This is a woman who has always had my back even when others have actively tried to discourage and sabotage me so I was really surprised by her advice. So I wanted to ask what you guys thought. Money will probably end up being the limiting factor here anyway, but is she right?

Do you think the MCAT was the deciding factor in not getting in the first time? You need to show that you improved yourself in some way for the re-app, so if you didn't re-do the MCAT then you need to have other things to show how you've improved.

Unless you're not getting in the first time was purely due to mistakes with applying (i.e. applying too late and not to a broad enough school selection).

Just my $0.02 but hey what do I know...I'm just getting ready for my first application cycle :laugh: