Doctor suicide rate putting me off when applying

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

r7p3

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
There are some people who keep talking about the medicine suicide rate and it is putting me off because I have many medical problems such as eczema, IBS, bad appearance/ self esteem etc. If I don't choose medicine, I won't be doing what I am passionate about and my dreams won't come true. However, the possibility of suicide is really putting me off. Advice?

Members don't see this ad.

Get square with your mental health before you apply to medical school. Develop coping skills and self-esteem beforehand because the process is quite devastating in the manner it eviscerates all of your weak points. Tread carefully, essentially, because it is a long, hard road and there is little turning back once you start.

Reactions: 1 users
I agree, it is very important to try to be in the best mental state possible before entering medical school because medical school will definitely test you mentally. If going to medical school is your dream then you should definitely pursue it but know your limitations and seek help before you even need it. It is also very important to pick a school that emphasizes and acknowledges the mental health of its students because there are many schools that will not. Many schools will list resources that they have available on their websites so do your research as you are applying.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd strongly suggest looking into the multicultural student unions/diversity offices of the medical schools you're interested in applying to, as well.

It helps to have a strong support network of people who support, encourage, and uplift you with university resources.

Reactions: 1 user
Get square with your mental health before you apply to medical school. Develop coping skills and self-esteem beforehand because the process is quite devastating in the manner it eviscerates all of your weak points. Tread carefully, essentially, because it is a long, hard road and there is little turning back once you start.
People also keep talking about the stress involved, but I think there are other aspects in people's lives that can screw up their mental state which aren't to do with the studying or the long hours. Maybe the bad reputation for depression etc. is caused by the type of people who do medicine rather than the work involved. Perhaps people who are at greater risk of suicide join med school.
When you say devastating, could you be more specific?

I agree, it is very important to try to be in the best mental state possible before entering medical school because medical school will definitely test you mentally. If going to medical school is your dream then you should definitely pursue it but know your limitations and seek help before you even need it. It is also very important to pick a school that emphasizes and acknowledges the mental health of its students because there are many schools that will not. Many schools will list resources that they have available on their websites so do your research as you are applying.
I heard about a GP with one leg who was told that he couldn't be a doctor with his disability. He did 10 years of biochem and then applied for medical school. I do not want to be put off medicine like he was.

People also keep talking about the stress involved, but I think there are other aspects in people's lives that can screw up their mental state which aren't to do with the studying or the long hours. Maybe the bad reputation for depression etc. is caused by the type of people who do medicine rather than the work involved. Perhaps people who are at greater risk of suicide join med school.
When you say devastating, could you be more specific?
Lack of support for someone that hs relocated, long hours, intense stress of exams, insane amounts of information, etc etc. Medical school is not what the human mind evolved to handle- at no point in the whole of human history prior to the last five decades has knowledge become so dense, and to be learned in such a compressed period of time.

Reactions: 1 users
If I don't choose medicine, I won't be doing what I am passionate about and my dreams won't come true.

If you end up in a job you are not passionate about, that will impact your mental health as well, and it is mental health issues that lead to suicide.

My recommendation would be to establish a support network if you do not already have one, and to deal with the issues you list, as well as any others that may exist, and have a means of doing so through out your studies and your career.

When and if you feel depressed, talk to someone. It does not have to be a psychiatrist. It can be a trusted friend who has your back. It can be a minister of religion.