Apple Stock

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When should I sell this stock? I've got huge gains in Apple and was wondering when to sell this position. Apple seems at the pinnacle of its achievements right now. Is there really any way this company can keep up the growth rate?

I figure Jobs left a few products in the wings. But, every company at some point slows down and when that happens investors sell the stock. I'd rather sell early then be left holding the bag.

I'm thinking $900 to $1,000 for an exit point. I can scale out starting around $900.

Any opinions?

The iPhone 5 will be a huge winner this year and next.

Apparently never. It worked for my brother who is now retired.

Members don't see this ad.

Apparently never. It worked for my brother who is now retired.

I still own it and am amazed what people will pay for an Iphone. $1200+

As long as consumers will shell out over $1200 every 2 years for a new phone Apple stock will keep going up. But, at what point does the consumer get tired of the iphones? Apparently, the answer may be NEVER.

Reactions: 1 user
Are they one poor launch away from a major devaluation? I don't know. I own it in my funds, however.

Members don't see this ad :)
I still own it and am amazed what people will pay for an Iphone. $1200+

As long as consumers will shell out over $1200 every 2 years for a new phone Apple stock will keep going up. But, at what point does the consumer get tired of the iphones? Apparently, the answer may be NEVER.

keep it. their phone is better. their computers are better. at this point it's like having shares in PG or JnJ. they may not make a huge move, but it will always be there because people will always buy Macs. the only thing Apple needs to figure out next is VR. When they figure out where they want to be in the world of VR that's when it'll get a significant bump, if whatever the make works. No one has mastered the VR game yet

And don't forget, there's an iMac Pro coming in Dec. I'd definitely hold until past then to see what happens. The iMac Pro will either be a huge success or a failure (hedge my statement there a bit). It's going to cost 5k which a lot of people think is crazy but apparently the machine itself is supposed to be incredible.

i converted to a Mac about 3 years ago. still working great and i have never gotten more than 2 years on my PC's. i am absolutely amazed at the quality of this thing (Macbook Air).

you know how many power cords i've broken over the years? Mac? Nope. the design of the magnet style power plug is simple, durable, and ingenious. great products.

I see Apple as a buy and hold stock. Pick up on the dips and hold forever.
I don't think I've ever sold any Apple that I have bought it in the past.
Agree with the above. The Macs are super reliable.

i converted to a Mac about 3 years ago. still working great and i have never gotten more than 2 years on my PC's. i am absolutely amazed at the quality of this thing (Macbook Air).

you know how many power cords i've broken over the years? Mac? Nope. the design of the magnet style power plug is simple, durable, and ingenious. great products.

What are you doing that you've broken so many power cords? I can understand a lot of Mac fans' praises of their devices (though, I remain a PC guy), but power plug design has got to be a first.

What are you doing that you've broken so many power cords? I can understand a lot of Mac fans' praises of their devices (though, I remain a PC guy), but power plug design has got to be a first.

The planned obsolescence of Apple's power cords is brilliant for the company. They're intentionally designed to wear out about every year, just in time for Apple's newest device to come out. Quite a few people will then buy the new computer because hey, the power cord on their old one is broken so it must be time for an upgrade. Almost everyone else will gripe about the fragile cords, but it isn't that big a deal because they can get an OEM replacement for $70 or a knockoff for $20 on eBay or Amazon, so a broken cord won't kill the sale of their next Apple bauble. Apple gets to maintain a reputation for quality based on the core device, and still push people into a fast upgrade cycle with crappy power cords. I do my best to foil them with a soldering iron and replacement core ends, but I have to admit it's a great scheme they've got going.

there's been a lot of reliability issues with PC A/C adapters/batteries. before i switch i had several stop charging the battery, have loose connections, or all out stop working period. the magnet connection on the mac was genius because if you trip on that thing it just comes off without destroying the socket. As with all the apple cords, they can fray if you're not careful with them, but they still work.

The planned obsolescence of Apple's power cords is brilliant for the company. They're intentionally designed to wear out about every year, just in time for Apple's newest device to come out. Quite a few people will then buy the new computer because hey, the power cord on their old one is broken so it must be time for an upgrade. Almost everyone else will gripe about the fragile cords, but it isn't that big a deal because they can get an OEM replacement for $70 or a knockoff for $20 on eBay or Amazon, so a broken cord won't kill the sale of their next Apple bauble. Apple gets to maintain a reputation for quality based on the core device, and still push people into a fast upgrade cycle with crappy power cords. I do my best to foil them with a soldering iron and replacement core ends, but I have to admit it's a great scheme they've got going.

i am careful about any OS upgrades with regard to the computer and iPhone/iPad because I am a conspiracy theorist that think they have code that makes older machines slow down a bit when a new machine is coming out. they made a few moves that almost made me take a drive to Cupertino but i got over it. i only update my iOS unless i know i'm in the market for new hardware.

it's the same with printers. we all know printers have a self destruct after a few years

i am careful about any OS upgrades with regard to the computer and iPhone/iPad because I am a conspiracy theorist that think they have code that makes older machines slow down a bit when a new machine is coming out. they made a few moves that almost made me take a drive to Cupertino but i got over it. i only update my iOS unless i know i'm in the market for new hardware.

it's the same with printers. we all know printers have a self destruct after a few years

Get a black and white laser printer. Toner cartridges are cheap and last forever. Inkjet printers are garbage and the replacement ink costs more than a new printer.

I still have my iPhone 5. It actually works great and I like the small size. I have no reason to upgrade. I only recently upgraded to a new MacBook after my previous 9 year old MacBook became too cumbersome for daily use (although it still works fine). I think Apple actually makes great products that are durable and easy to use. Other than having to buy a couple replacement charging cables for a few bucks off Amazon, the actual cost of ownership for Apple products is reasonably low.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with an iPhone 5. I would have kept the 4 except UpToDate stopped working on it. My laptop is even older; a 2008 MacBook Pro that still works perfectly after I replaced the battery and the trackpad. Besides giving me reliable computers, I've also got Apple to thank for paying for my premed classes and for a house. The $2000 worth of AAPL I bought in 2000 back when Apple only made computers and had narrowly escaped a takeover by Microsoft or Sony turned into quite a bit of money when I sold in 2012. I always knew they were a good company.

I went through 3 or 4 printers over the years (new one every year or two) and they just didn't connect properly, errors everywhere, whatever. Got myself a Brother laser jet all in one 4 or 5 years ago and literally have not had ONE issue since I bought it. Couldn't recommend highly enough.

I'm glad to see I'm not the only one with an iPhone 5. I would have kept the 4 except UpToDate stopped working on it. My laptop is even older; a 2008 MacBook Pro that still works perfectly after I replaced the battery and the trackpad. Besides giving me reliable computers, I've also got Apple to thank for paying for my premed classes and for a house. The $2000 worth of AAPL I bought in 2000 back when Apple only made computers and had narrowly escaped a takeover by Microsoft or Sony turned into quite a bit of money when I sold in 2012. I always knew they were a good company.

I'm all for keeping their products longer than the typical 2 year upgrade cycle but a Iphone 5 is simply too slow compared to even an Iphone 6S. I'd say 3 years is a good balance between cost and upgrade cycles.

The good news is that when you "upgrade" you can buy the cheaper models instead of their latest and greatest phone (Iphone X).

I'm all for keeping their products longer than the typical 2 year upgrade cycle but a Iphone 5 is simply too slow compared to even an Iphone 6S. I'd say 3 years is a good balance between cost and upgrade cycles.

The good news is that when you "upgrade" you can buy the cheaper models instead of their latest and greatest phone (Iphone X).

The real trick to buying iPhones especially since carriers don’t subsidized them any more is to wait for promo. I am a phone gadget guru. Have owned pretty much every android and iPhone beginning from day 1

Promo aren’t as good this year but they are coming

Sams club has $300 gift card tomorrow novmeber 11 at 7am.

Buy $800 iPhone 8 Plus 64gb. Get $300 gift card plus waived activation. Basically $850 after taxes minus the $300 gift card.

My net cost is about $550.

I buy/resell phones a lot. I can sell it pretty easy next September for $500. Just sold 2 year old 6s plus for $400.

Imagine how much a one year old iPhone 8 Plus will go for in one year.

The point I make is my cost i own an iPhone are minimum. And I pay off the installment as soon as I can to become eligible for next round of promos. It’s all a game. Carriers assume people don’t pay off installment. But we all make good money and can pay off $800-1200 easily.

Never fall for the “Monthly credit promo” where they give u $300 credits but spread it over 30 months. That’s not a good deal because it essentially locks u into the carrier to fully realize the credits for 30 months.

I never buy from the carriers directly. Always looks for Costco sams clubs or Best Buy promo. Never buy from carriers directly unless u are new customer or adding new lines.

I got lg g5 ($650 in March 2016 launch) for $5/month x 24 months promo back in March 2017. So that’s $120 plus $8 sales taxes at Best Buy. Plus I sign up for Best Buy promo for $25 gift card upgrade program.

So it literally cost me $103 for lg g5.

I just resold it for $150. So basically I made money on the phone using it for 7 months.

So there are many ways to play the cell phone games

So my point is u don’t have to buy old tech to get a discount. Lots of promo

Target has $250 gift card thanksgiving week on iPhones. Walmart $300 gift cards.

Agree, i stay 1 (at max 2) behind the latest