Stocks and the Fed for 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BLADEMDA

Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a Bull for 2024- end the year at 5400-5500 on the S and P 500. I was thinking we would get a 3% pullback this month but Nvidia's earnings has supercharged the market. I would like to add Palo Alto Networks to my portfolio after the big miss. That's how i buy stocks- when the miss and go down. What's a good price to pay for 300 shares of Palo Alto? $250?

I doubt the Fed cuts more than 2 times in 2024- maybe even just 1 0.25 cut in the Fall? It all depends on the data over the next 3-4 months. This may keep the Small Caps from rallying until the summer. Japan? Has Japan finally woken up after 30 years? That market seems red hot too.

Members don't see this ad.

Palo Alto:

“We expect a typical customer entering into a platformization transaction will not pay us for our technology for a period of time,” Arora said. “As these programs ramp up over the next year, we expect a change to our billings and revenue growth for the next 12 to 18 months. As customers move into the period [with] contracts of full billing and revenue contribution, we expect to see an acceleration in our top line metrics.”
The demand picture hasn’t changed much in the past few quarters, Arora said. Higher geopolitical stress is leading nation-states to increasing wage attacks on national infrastructure, he added.
But what’s new is “we’re beginning to notice customers are facing spending fatigue in cybersecurity,” Arora said.
Loop Capital and Rosenblatt Securities downgraded the stock after the report

I don't understand why the fed keeps talking about cutting rates. Employment is low, economy is doing well, market is at all time highs.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Most of my portfolio is/was broad index funds, but bought some TSM, AMD, and NVDA recently as well as some VGT index fund. Late to the party, but hopefully not too late. I was a computer nerd as a kid and was a Nvidia and AMD fan since my first GE Force 2 and Athlon. So feels good to at least have a small stake in their success.

I guess I was also a fan of 3DFX, Aureal too though. Lol

Reactions: 1 user
I like the Cybersecurity sector. Hasn’t really taken off in a huge way like other areas in tech. With AI and such, feel it will have a big role to play In the future. With laws and regulations coming to protect citizens/society. Wisdom Tree Cybersecurity fund (WCBR) has a nice allocation with about ten stocks, and low expense ratio compared to others IMO.

Reactions: 1 users
Nividia beats earnings by $2 Billion. Its market cap shoots up $250 Billion. The stock market adds a couple of trillion in worth as a result.....

Makes perfect sense. Those who are less than 100% stock should be rebalancing. If you are an 80/20 kind of person, going 70/30 seems reasonable. Those who have won the game should be taking their chips off the table.

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 user
I don't understand why the fed keeps talking about cutting rates. Employment is low, economy is doing well, market is at all time highs.
They keep talking about it because people want low interest rates and it's an election year.

Reactions: 1 users
No way there is a significant market crash before the election. They would never let it happen. I would just keep buying NVDIA, Eli Lilly, Novo Nordisk

Reactions: 2 users
Nividia beats earnings by $2 Billion. Its market cap shoots up $250 Billion. The stock market adds a couple of trillion in worth as a result.....

Makes perfect sense. Those who are less than 100% stock should be rebalancing. If you are an 80/20 kind of person, going 70/30 seems reasonable. Those who have won the game should be taking their chips off the table.
I would do this right after the election.