Masimo/Apple Watch

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nimbus

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
“Masimo has accused Apple of hiring away its employees, stealing its pulse oximetry technology and incorporating it into the popular Apple Watch.

A jury trial on Masimo's allegations in California federal court ended with a mistrial in May. Apple has separately sued Masimo for patent infringement in a federal court in Delaware and has called Masimo's legal actions a "maneuver to clear a path" for its own competing smartwatch.”

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office rejected Apple's requests to review the validity of the patents at issue in the ITC decision earlier this year.

Engineers at Apple are moving to make changes to algorithms in the smartwatches, adjusting how the technology determines oxygen saturation and presents the data to customers, Bloomberg reported on Monday, citing people familiar with the work.

Apple is working on a range of legal and technical options, if the ban holds. It has begun preparing stores for the change, sending new signs to its retail outlets that promote the Apple Watch without showing photos of the Series 9 and Ultra 2 — two models targeted by the ban, the report added.”

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
“Masimo has accused Apple of hiring away its employees, stealing its pulse oximetry technology and incorporating it into the popular Apple Watch.

A jury trial on Masimo's allegations in California federal court ended with a mistrial in May. Apple has separately sued Masimo for patent infringement in a federal court in Delaware and has called Masimo's legal actions a "maneuver to clear a path" for its own competing smartwatch.”

The U.S. Patent and Trademark Office rejected Apple's requests to review the validity of the patents at issue in the ITC decision earlier this year.

Engineers at Apple are moving to make changes to algorithms in the smartwatches, adjusting how the technology determines oxygen saturation and presents the data to customers, Bloomberg reported on Monday, citing people familiar with the work.

Apple is working on a range of legal and technical options, if the ban holds. It has begun preparing stores for the change, sending new signs to its retail outlets that promote the Apple Watch without showing photos of the Series 9 and Ultra 2 — two models targeted by the ban, the report added.”

I saw this yesterday (?). Couldn’t figure out what proprietary stuff…. Don’t we have many different manufacturers of oximeter? Are they all using patent from Massimo? I thought they’re a relatively young company?

At least a few years ago, Masimo had the most most advanced filters and algorithms to reduce artifacts and give accurate readings under difficult conditions. When they were selecting a device for our childrens hospital, our pediatric anesthesiologists had a strong preference for Masimo. Maybe the watch needs these features.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interesting. Our transport monitor is Masimo and does seem to pick up pulse ox on patients better than the monitor in OR, especially on unstable patients. I had one patient the other day I kept on the transport monitor pulse ox because the OR monitor wasn’t able to pick up a reading.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Last edited:
Apple should just buy Masimo. Such a weird company, medical devices and consumer audio. But Apple is in both too.

Honestly, if their focus is more on the signal processing side, then I can see how the two are related

Apple should just buy Masimo. Such a weird company, medical devices and consumer audio. But Apple is in both too.

Why buy a whole company when you can just buy their employees and trade secrets for cheaper?

• Haha
I didn't realize that most of my home audio system came from Massimo until I saw nimbus post. If I had chosen the Bowers and Wilkins speakers instead of the Sonus Faber speakers I would have all of it from them. The B&W tweeter on top design just seemed too hard to dust. I bought a Massimo multi sat when it came out and use it when hiking and skiing in CO above 10,000 feet.