Any interviews yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
obgynr2b said:
If you don't mind, can you share some info? When did you get your invitation from Phx Banner & Maricopa? Was it through snail mail or email? What are the dates they are offering? Thanks! & Good Luck on your interviews..

I got Banner on 10/5 (interview dates: November 17 & 19, December 9, 10, 15, 17, 22, 23, 29, 30, January 5, 6, 7, 13, 14, 19, 21, 26, 27 & 28) and I got Maricopa on 10/22 (interview dates: November 17, December 1, 8, & 15, and January 5, 12, & 19). Both came through email. Good luck to you too!!!

Members don't see this ad.

mams19 said:
oops-- forgot to add on my own home school-- also have an interview at loyola
hi there. i've got an interview at loyola chicago. would you mind telling me a bit about the program? maybe some things i can't get off the website? feel free to e-mail me. i'll be up there jan. 12th. thanks! :)

I got my first rejection today - UNC! :(

Also, got an email from oregon telling me I was on the "standby list" for an interview...I hope I end up getting one!

Good luck to all! I can't wait to meet you guys!

:) kem

Members don't see this ad :)
tigger said:
I too am waiting patiently for post Deans Letter day invites. Today I got my first rejections from UNC and Emory.

So far 16 invitations: Phoenix Banner and Integrated, U of AZ, Exempla CO, Uof Fl-Jax, U of MO KC, Wake Forest, U of OK, Baylor Dallas, Methodist Dallas, UTMB, St. Joseph Houston, UT Houston LBJ and Memorial, UT San Antonio, A&M Temple.

Nice to know that I am in good company, UNC sent me the old rejection letter today as well.

places I will be attending (so far)
1. U of New Mexico
2. U of Minnesota
3. U of Arizona
4. Mercer Savannah
5. Emory
6. Baystate-Tufts
7. Dartmouth-Hitchcock
8. UTMB Austin
9. Exempla/St. Joseph
10. U Massachusetts
11. U of Wisconsin
12. Rush Presbyterian
13. U of Vermont
14. KP Oakland
15. PIROG (maricopa phoenix)
16. U of Missouri Kansas City

Others most likely not attending: Aurora Sinai, University of Kansas, Medical College of Wisconsin

Any info about U of Minnesota and U of Arizona? Thanks! See you all out on the trail!! :rolleyes:

Waiting patiently for other big NY programs, some chicago, and some cali. does anyone have any idea when NYU, columbia, cornell will be sending out their letters?

Wow! Today was a banner day for interviews - I too had been expecting my inbox to be filled with glorious interview invitations by November 2nd, and had been wondering why there had been no love so far!

Today got NYU - they only have 3 interview dates and I can't make any of them, so I might take a pass as it is not one of my top choices. I'm at Columbia, and our program director says that as a general rule programs will reply by Nov 15th or so - I'm assuming she's including Columbia's own program in that generalization.

Actually, to qualify my last statement - she said that by mid-November, if you haven't heard from programs, you can generally start contacting programs directly to ask if there is a decision on your file, without incurring the wrath and annoyance of admissions committees who have only started assembling applications, etc. ;)

I received invites from NYU and Northwestern today.

Interview offers from:

U Washington, OHSU
UC Davis, Stanford, Santa Clara Valley, Kaiser Santa Clara
Kaiser Los Angeles, Cedars-Sinai, UC Irvine
U Michigan, UIC, Wash U
Brown, Yale, Beth Israel Deaconness, Tufts, Hopkins
U Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Hospital, UNC

I'm going to have to start cancelling some of these...I don't think my stamina (and my credit card!) can take it. I'll probably cancel Penn Hospital and maybe the Kaisers first, and see how it all sorts out.

wow, today i was not able to check my email until 9pm and found out I had 5 interview invites. oops. oh well, hopefully the days i picked will not be full. Here are the new ones: Northwestern, NYU, UNC, Oregon, and Univ of colorado. Good luck everyone. Let this be a lesson to everyone. Check your email a million times a day. :)

Yesterday a rejection from NYU. Also an invite from U of S. Fl -Tampa yesterday and today I got U of CO.

i gave deeq details but i wanted to tell the rest of you that if you have any interest in chicago i would definitely consider applying to loyola. some of the highlights-- community affiliate so high volume of surgical procedures, great attendings, an AWESOME chair of the dept, strong urogyne program. one draw back is that it is in the suburbs but the commute to the city if you want to live there is totally doable.

deeq said:
hi there. i've got an interview at loyola chicago. would you mind telling me a bit about the program? maybe some things i can't get off the website? feel free to e-mail me. i'll be up there jan. 12th. thanks! :)

hello there.
i am a 30 years old male, graduated from a humble medical school in manila last 1998.
i am not the best student in my class.

i did two years of residency in the philippines, and fate made me to look again in the prospect of tackling the USMLE's and matching for a residency slot in the USA.

i studied by myself for the USMLE steps 1 and 2 and the CSA.
got all the books and materials which i thought are necessary and read them. by heart.

also, i assimilated all the pieces of advice i got from everyone. littelest they may seem, but all were nuggets of gold to me.

i sought our 'elders' to write me strong letters of recommendation and asked my school's dean to make me a very good dean's letter.

my personal statement i composed for a whole week. make that two. for it to be outstanding, yet modest and true. i even asked a friend's friend to help me out.

wrote down all my academic accolades and clinical experiences for my curriculum vitae. it was a very short list.

then went to USA for the Step @ CS.
and interivewed to eight programs from the twelve calls i got.

i aimed to leave a good impression with the interviewing faculty. needless to say, that is different from impressing the interviewers.
i was eager but composed.
conveyed i am confident of what i can offer,
yet reassured them i have a lot to learn under their tutelage and care.
i was interesting as i was interested.
smiled alot. becasue i really do smile alot.

followed up my application by sending thank-you letters and letters of intention.

while waiting for the match outsome, i studied and took step 3.

i matched with a university program for ob/gyn. here in Texas.

i think this is a very likely story for people who went through the match.
but what i like to underscore is that
PREPAREDNESS, FOCUS, HARDWORK, PERSEVERANCE and BEING RESPONSIBLE for the choices we make
are the keys to success. For the Match or otherwise.

And, by the way, I always ask and seek Our Lord God's approval in every step of the way.
Surely, He will lead the way.

Members don't see this ad :)
Received invite from Cook County (Chicago) yesterday.

Can anyone recommend/direct me to a site where I can find stats for c-sections, hysterectomies, VBACs, etc. on all or most of the residency programs? Thanks in advance.

'06

Alphaman06 said:
Can anyone recommend/direct me to a site where I can find stats for c-sections, hysterectomies, VBACs, etc. on all or most of the residency programs? Thanks in advance.

'06
trying to locate that information
Biggest problem most people don't have the gyn #'s aim for at LEAST 50 Vag hyst

Alphaman06 said:

'06

http://www.apgo.org/residency/

Your school should be able to give you their user name and password if they're a member, and most schools are. There's a lot more interesting info on there too.

My wife just got word from University of Kansas Medical Center that they were getting rid of the December 3rd interview date (the date that my wife had scheduled) and created a new interview date of January 7th (along with their other previous choices). Kansas City is a town that I want to live in and that my wife wouldn't mind living in. Of course, the other dates available will not fit in her interview schedule because other interviews are already scheduled. Fortunately she finally had an invite from UMKC so Kansas City isn't a total loss, but having both schools as a possibility would have been nice. Anyone else in this boat? Is there any reasoning with programs in situations like this or is it just "tough luck"?

New interviews from NYU and USC-LA
Rejected from Bringham

Rejection from Brigham and Women's Hospital-Massachusetts General Hospital! :(

I'm sorry to those above who received bad news - I was going to write a post with an inordinate number of happy face icons, because today I got an interview from Brigham, which I am incredibly thrilled about because it's my first choice. This whole process is so arbitrary - to those who were not granted interviews, if Brigham is a place you really want to be, I would advise you to be persistent - have faculty members or the dept chair intervene on your behalf if necessary. Good luck to everyone (group hug, symbolizing the fact that we are all "good enough, and people like us") :)

Diane L. Evans said:
trying to locate that information
Biggest problem most people don't have the gyn #'s aim for at LEAST 50 Vag hyst

Diane--would the numbers you have recommended on here be as primary surgeon or does that include assist surgeries also? Just curious...thanks!

NYC Girl said:
I'm sorry to those above who received bad news - I was going to write a post with an inordinate number of happy face icons, because today I got an interview from Brigham, which I am incredibly thrilled about because it's my first choice. This whole process is so arbitrary - to those who were not granted interviews, if Brigham is a place you really want to be, I would advise you to be persistent - have faculty members or the dept chair intervene on your behalf if necessary. Good luck to everyone (group hug, symbolizing the fact that we are all "good enough, and people like us") :)

Thanks a lot! Hope you match there. All the best!

Today interviews from UCLA and Brigham/MGH both via email. Rejected last week from UNC.

Woo hoo! Brigham, Colorado, and Northwestern in recent days. Have faith, everyone! :luck:

Interview from UT Southwestern and rejection from Brigham today.

rejected from B&W (kinda bummed...but got over it)...and offers from UNC and Univ. of Colorado helped as well... as someone else mentioned...this process is entirely random...they can only interview so many people...and i am glad to hear about Emory...i'll be there this weekend...and good luck to everyone as always...also...any other insight into Emory would be helpful...thanks again

interview from B & W, and also got interviews at UCLA and Univ so Cali that I decided not to interview at.

Norbel, I'll see you at Emory this weekend. :)

I got an email today from UT Memphis basically saying why have you not responded to our offer of interview, it has been several weeks since we sent it?
Thing is I have never received anything from UT Memphis.

Anyone else get anything like this?

Should I be concerned that ERAS isn't sending stuff through?

starayamoskva said:
I got an email today from UT Memphis basically saying why have you not responded to our offer of interview, it has been several weeks since we sent it?
Thing is I have never received anything from UT Memphis.

Anyone else get anything like this?

Should I be concerned that ERAS isn't sending stuff through?

My wife heard from them a couple of weeks ago and replied immediately (On October 23rd) telling them that she could not fit them into her schedule. Yesterday she got that same email that you received saying they hadn't heard a reply from her though she had already informed them of her status. She resent an email yesterday, once again, telling them that she couldn't go.

Another big day! Received Columbia and Boston Medical Center today. Now just need to hear from Cornell, those Upper East Side slackers... :p

blueline76 said:
My wife just got word from University of Kansas Medical Center that they were getting rid of the December 3rd interview date (the date that my wife had scheduled) and created a new interview date of January 7th (along with their other previous choices). Kansas City is a town that I want to live in and that my wife wouldn't mind living in. Of course, the other dates available will not fit in her interview schedule because other interviews are already scheduled. Fortunately she finally had an invite from UMKC so Kansas City isn't a total loss, but having both schools as a possibility would have been nice. Anyone else in this boat? Is there any reasoning with programs in situations like this or is it just "tough luck"?

Blue-
I'm from Kansas City. Have your wife call there. I tried to cancel KU (not my bag) and they said I could interview when I was going to be in town next, they would set up an individual date for me... they seem really flexible.

This is my first time posting but I have been following since day one. I only applied to 12 programs because there aren't too many places I want to move to right now. I have an interview at:

University of Chicago
Rush
UT Southwestern
Baylor
UT - Houston Hermann
UT - Houston LBJ
St. Joseph's
UTMB - Galveston
UTMB - Austin

I haven't heard from Northwestern or Loyola and I got my first reject from B&W this week. :( Oh well, I guess 9 out of 12 isn't bad. And maybe there is a chance for some of the others to still come through. I won't be too hurt if they don't because I don't think I can really afford anymore interviews.

Anyway Congrats guys, you all are rocking the house with interviews! :p I hope you all get your first choice and I hope to see some of you on the interview trail. :luck:

i was just wondering if anyone has heard from the university of illinois chicago. i haven't heard a peep and am going to contact them friday if they don't contact me before then.
good luck to those who have interviews coming up!

deeq - I just heard from U of Illinois. Does anyone know anything about that program?? Thanks!

Got interviews at Harbor-UCLA, USC (LA), and got off the wait-list for an interview at Oregon.

Rejected from UCSD. (Of course, the only city I have family)
Oh well. :(

:) kem

New interviews from UCSF, UCLA, Harbor-UCLA, USC, UCSD, and Brigham & Womens.

And to deeq: I received an email interview offer from University of Illinois at Chicago near the beginning of November (maybe 11/03?), replied to schedule an interview, and received a "reminder" email from them. I replied again and have yet to hear back from them. I don't know much about the program, except now I have a hunch they might have communication issues! At any rate, I'm likely to drop my interview so that should free up a spot if they're starting to get filled up. Good luck!!

While we're at it, anyone hear from Cornell? Someone early on in the thread reportedly received an interview, but as no one else has reportedly gotten word from them, I was wondering what is freaking taking so long :p

I got an interview from Cornell. I heard from them at least 3 weeks ago, I think. They only have a few interview dates available. If you are really interested I would call them.

I just heard from Georgetown. Anyone know anything about that program? How about GWU?

thanks

not sure about them. I thought their system was near bankrupt a few years back, so I likely will cancel the georgetown interview. I figure they probubly still have financial issues. has anyone heard differently?

So after sending Cornell a "hey, remember me?" email, I received an interview 2 days later - an amazing coincidence :laugh: They basically assigned me a date (which I couldn't make!) and because it is so late in the process, their dates which I could make are filled already. However, they may be able to arrange a separate interview date without the bells and whistles of a regular interview day, etc. etc. pain in my tush...

So the moral of the story for those who still haven't heard from some last remaining places - call or email them *now*!!! :eek:

just heard from Penn. anybody know anything about their program. ivy league sounds nice...opinions???

minime said:
I also thought that the floodgates would burst open. I have only gotten one invite since Nov. 1. I guess I can't complain I've gotten 16 invites from 24 apps. Thus far: U. Kentucky, U. Louisville, UT-knoxville and Memphis, Marshall U., Wright State U., USC-Columbia, Carolinas Medical Center, Good Sam. and Bethesda in cincy, U. Indiana, St. Vincent, U. Kansas, UMKC, St. Johns, ETSU.
Carolinas Medical Center... ;) :D

Diane L. Evans said:
Anyone interviewing at IUPUI

i'll be interviewing there in january and am very much looking forward to it given all the fantastic things that have been said about it both on this forum and by people i've met who've interviewed there.

If one was to get an interview invite at this point, would you consider it as you getting an invite just because alot of the people they originally intended on interviewing cancelled on them and they now have some more open spaces or because they may actually be interested in you?