Any interviews yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hmm.... our Dean's Office does not release transcripts until the middle of October, so everyone I've spoken to here has been sitting, waiting frantically for interview offers. (At least, I will blame the missing transcripts for the quiteness on the interview front, in order to prevent myself from freaking out and thinking that all programs are taking so long because they are trying to come up with gentle ways to reject me...)

!!! So Beth Israel Deaconess *is* starting to offer interviews, yikes... :scared:

Members don't see this ad.

2nd Rejection- u of New Mexico! :( Am getting scared now. Hope to get atleast a couple more interviews. :scared:

Heard from U of Florida Pensacola. Still nothing from the other Florida schools or Georgia... has anyone heard anything from Gainesville or Jax or MCOG?

Members don't see this ad :)
Best of luck everyone. I remember the nail bitting frenzy myself.

Some TIPS for you to print out to stay remembered by programs and get RANKED!

[1] If you really want to go to a program email them and confirm your interest, especially if you have not heard from them for an interview.

[2] The spots fill early so get those letters in, etc...

[3] #'s to apply to my advice, waste the money now (see reason above) I applied to 35 position and ending up interviewing 17 and canceling 6.

[4]send thank you letters as soon as you leave the interview. Mail them that day. Postcards to the residents will stay up on the corkboard longer.

[5] Write the program directors a letter this will stay in your file.

[6] If you really like a program get the interview later rather than sooner. Applicants who interview in Dec/Jan have a better chance of ranking because the programs remember you.

[7] GO FOR A SECOND LOOK. This means go back another time preferably at the end of interviewing and ask to do a night on call for a couple hours or to remeet with the residents and faculty.

[8] BONUS points after you have secured your interview ask for a list of graduates from that program call some of them up who may be in a nearby city and talk with them. This is always a good way to make conversation during an interview and a good thing to mention in your letter to the program director.

[9] SUPER BONUS POINTS. Look up the faculty and puruse medline under the faculty last name see if they have published. For example a MFM (Maternal Fetal Medicine) doctor may have an interest in diabetes and likely will have published. If you don't meet this person during the interview you can always ask the program director what he knows about the research and ask if during a second look you can talk with this person.

[10] SMILE. Appear happy even if your nervous.

[11] When someone is asking you a question LOOK them in the eyes. When you speak you can look around but looking away when someone is speaking to you can be construed as disrespectful. Believe me it is difficult to do after interview 5. :sleep:

[12] Space out interviews if you can. If not take a whole month off to interview. Good months to do this Dec./Jan. Mainly because then you can talk about the holidays, elections, etc...

[13] Feel free to email me if you have any questions [email protected]

A word of advice if you have not gotten all you material in yet STOP READING THIS POST AND GET MOVING!!!!!
:eek:

Great advice Diane, Thanks alot!!

My invites so far, Tx Tech Amarillo, El Paso, and Creighton Omaha

Just found out I got interviews at Mercer in Savannah (cool city) and Emory in Atlanta. Starting to feel like everything is gonna be ok but maybe expensive. Thanks Diane Evans for your advice. Any good advice for people who are going to their first interview in one week? starting to get nervous. Thanks!!

interview from UCSF but haven't heard from U Mich or U Wash in seattle.

Thanks for the advice, Diane.
I especially like the idea of going back after the interview and remeeting everyone and doing a night on call. I had never thought of doing that before. Did you do that? How did you set it up, did you just ask the PD?
Thanks.

This is my first post.....I've been obsessively reading but hadn't yet posted. I'm a little nervous :scared: ....only 2 interviews so far (SIU & Tx A&M)...my transcript is not in yet and I'm also hoping that's the reason I don't have a few more yet. :idea: It is great that this thread is going....none of my close friends are applying to Ob/gyn so its nice to know how others are doing. :)

Got Lehigh Valley (PA) earlier this week, and got my first choice - Women & Infants in RI (Brown) yesterday - just called to schedule the interview! :)

That's up to a whopping 6...I'm pretty excited. I can't wait til the Dean's letter comes out to see if I actually get any NYC interviews. All I've gotten is LI ones so far.

just to keep the talk going...i heard from vandy, emory and cincy recently...

I've been on about a week dry spell of no interviews. Finally, 2 more. Brown and Univ of washington. I thought maybe my ERAS stuff was deleted or something. :laugh: Everyone keep posting. I love reading about everyone getting interviews. It's so great.

I had an enormous dry spell, after getting Mt. Sinai a week after my ERAS application was submitted, I didn't hear *anything* (except for Brigham's fake-out email stating that they had received my application) for weeks!

Today the dry spell was broken by the kind-hearted folks at Brown, who it looks like sent a wave of invites this afternoon by email. :love:

This also coincided with Columbia *finally* submitting my transcript yesterday!! Hopefully this was the reason that I hadn't heard anything for such a long time. But it seems that most NYC and Boston programs are waiting for Dean's Letters too.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Pennsylvania, Pennsylvania Hospital, and Brown!

Hi!
Great thread guys! keep it going. Thanks Diane for the great advice.

I've been reading this post since it started, but got a few questions guys and gals. how long after you sent your applications have these interview offers been coming for most of you? also, has most of these offers come after your school's transcript has been out? Did ya'll send out emails to the PDs or the residency coordinators expressing interest?
thanks in advance! Its only been six days since I sent my eras in :rolleyes: , but i'm anxious , and my school said they only post transcripts all at once and they haven't even gotten to it yet *sigh*

later

mshealer said:
Hi!
I've been reading this post since it started, but got a few questions guys and gals. how long after you sent your applications have these interview offers been coming for most of you? also, has most of these offers come after your school's transcript has been out? Did ya'll send out emails to the PDs or the residency coordinators expressing interest?
later

I submitted my ERAS 2 weeks ago on Friday and got my first interview on the Tuesday following that. Then it's been a slow trickle, every few days. The majority of the other programs that I applied to are NYC programs and I don't expect to hear anything anytime before Dean's Letter. A few (3) came before the transcript was released, the rest have come since then (3 more). I haven't emailed any PD/residency coordinators, but I did do an away rotation at Women & Infants (Brown), so they know of me and my interest.

Those of you who got Brown interviews - when are you interviewing? I called Elle today and I'm Nov 10 in the morning. Anyone else?

Its been a very dry spell for me too! :( I am interested in Brown & Emory too. But haven't heard from them at all.
Anyone heard from Phoenix, Florida, WI?
Wishing you all the very best of luck..

I got my first two before my transcript was posted. My transcript was posted this Friday and that afternoon I got another (CWR/Metro Health). Hopefully this coming week will bring more....Luck to all! :luck:

thanks for the input people. its a hellish wait eh? anyways. good luck to all those that've got interviews coming up!
later

Hi! This is my first post in this thread. I have received interview offers from Emory, Orlando, Palmetto, St Louis, San Antonio, Oschner, and Medical College of Georgia.

mshealer said:
thanks for the input people. its a hellish wait eh? anyways. good luck to all those that've got interviews coming up!
later

mshealer--I couldn't agree more!

I just learned about this forum and signed up. It's exciting to see where everyone is going. It's nice to be at this point in our lives, isn't it?!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has applied to the University of Alabama at Birmingham. If so, has anyone heard from this program yet? I have not heard either way about the status of my application, so I thought I would see what your thoughts are.

Much luck to all of you! Take care! :D

OBGYN2B2005 said:
mshealer--I couldn't agree more!

I just learned about this forum and signed up. It's exciting to see where everyone is going. It's nice to be at this point in our lives, isn't it?!

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has applied to the University of Alabama at Birmingham. If so, has anyone heard from this program yet? I have not heard either way about the status of my application, so I thought I would see what your thoughts are.

Much luck to all of you! Take care! :D

Applied but haven't heard anything either. I don't know if they are one of the programs that wait until dean's letters or not.

After a very boring week, got an invite to Emory on Friday...

Is anyone else going crazy with scheduling/finding flights, etc? I guess it's my own fault for applying all over the country, though.

Good luck to all! :D

-kem

Heard from Baystate-Tufts. Anyone heard from UW Madison or any Kansas City programs? I agree with KEM, the sceduling is expensive for flights...I applied all over too. Oh well, put it on my tab... :p

Hi everyone, Just wanted to add to the list of places...
recently heard from wayne state, ut southwestern, bayfront medical, etsu, and beaumont.
Good luck to everyone:)

pretty much only applied in tx cause i want to stay here:
san antonio, temple, dallas southwestern, houston hermann, houston st. joseph's, denver exempla (don't really know anything about that program, but skiing, oh i mean interviewing, in colorado in dec. doesn't sound too bad!!)

UTSW today! Hopefully they will let me schedule while I'm already planning to be in Texas...what are the odds?

Good luck!

:) kem

Got an interview offer from Stanford today!! Does anybody have any idea when UCSF has interview dates? If I could only be so lucky, I would love to coordinate those two...

Got an interview with Beth Israel D. Boston today. I don't know about you guys, but I can't wait until Nov 1st. I think our interview offers will really pick up then :oops: Have a great day everyone.

Another today - Baystate! That's 7 now....

I know, I can't wait until Nov 1st! Our Dean's Letters are finally complete and we can now read them to see what they say...but I just want them to send it so I can get more interviews!

Got one from East Tennesse University program. But came to know that its under probationary accreditation. Any idea what this means and how it will affect me if I match there?

I applied to 26 and I've got 6 interviews so far.

UT-San Antonio
UT-Houston
Med. Coll. of GA
South Carolina
Greenville, SC
Texas A&M

I'm still hoping for some of my big ones. I don't think UAB has offered interviews yet. I got one rejection from Mayo (wasn't shocked). Anyone heard from Kentucky schools yet? Good luck everyone!

dudeob said:
I applied to 26 and I've got 6 interviews so far.

UT-San Antonio
UT-Houston
Med. Coll. of GA
South Carolina
Greenville, SC
Texas A&M

I'm still hoping for some of my big ones. I don't think UAB has offered interviews yet.

Thanks for the input...especially about UAB. I'm going to Greenville, SC also! :)

I applied to 11 programs. Others I've heard from: Wash U, UT Memphis, UNC Chapel Hill, Duke, Wake Forest, Atlanta Medical Center, Emory. I'm like everyone else and still hoping to hear from a couple of more. It's great hearing where everyone is going....at least we can have an idea what to expect.

Good luck everyone...have a great week!

i got an invite from indiana university last week....anyone have any thoughts on this program, heard how it is there or maybe rotated there? thanks.

I applied to 29 schools. Got invites from:
John Peter Smith-Dallas
Mercy-Chicago
Mt. Sinai-Chicago
Atlanta Medical Center

Heard from and awaiting invite from:
Emory-Atlanta
UT Memphis

Rejection from:
Baylor-Houston

St. Louis University

Have recently received interview offers from Cornell and University of Michigan.

koro said:
pretty much only applied in tx cause i want to stay here:
san antonio, temple, dallas southwestern, houston hermann, houston st. joseph's, denver exempla (don't really know anything about that program, but skiing, oh i mean interviewing, in colorado in dec. doesn't sound too bad!!)
Colorado Exempla Saint Josheph's is a good program from what I here. I did my IM sub-I at the hospital and talked to some OB-GYN residents. They all really like it. It is known for being a program that will really work you hard. Probably more demanding then many programs was my impression. A lot of Kaiser patients.
David
PS Oh, I got interviews from U of Maryland and Albany so far. I'm also applying to IM as I am still trying to decide what I want to do. I have 7 IM interviews.

Heard today from Carolinas Medical Center in Charlotte! :luck:

I happened to look at the UAB web site earlier today. It states on there that they wait until the dean's letter is submitted before inviting students for interviews. (Just FYI for those of us applying to SE schools.)

Congrats to everyone on recent interviews!

UT Houston-LBJ

UAB...shortly after my other post today. :D

13 interviews so far. Heard from U. of Kentucky(snail mail), Louisville, Carolinas Medical Center, St. Vincent in indy recently.
Anyone heard from any of the Univ. of TN schools yet?

minime said:
Anyone heard from any of the Univ. of TN schools yet?
i'm still waiting to hear from ut-chattanooga and ut-knoxville

Minime - When did you hear from Louisville and St. Vincent? Thanks.

A couple more this week:

VCU SOM
Fort Worth Hospitals Program
Baylor COM (Houston)
East Carolina University

Good luck everyone! I can't wait to meet you all at interviews!

:) kem

This is my first time posting...this site is a great idea. I'm a DO, graduated in June, doing my internship in Philadelphia. I'm from Phila. and went to most of undergrad and med school here. BUT, I've applied all over the country. I'm ready for a change. I'd love to head out west/SW. Although I'm finding that it's much easier to get interviews in my neck of the woods. I'm not sure if it's bc I'm a DO and the programs around here are more friendly and familiar with DO's, or that I'm from the area?? Anyhow, hello to everyone. If anyone has any questions about programs in Phila, maybe I can help.
So far...
Lakenau, PA
Einstein, PA
Maimonides, NY
Christiana, DE
Atlanta med., GA

Rejected by Portland Maine and UNM. Oh well. I was bummed about UNM.

This is also my first post. I applied to 17 programs and have received 9 invites?
Henry Ford (Detroit)
Beaumont (Detroit)
Wayne State/DMC
Case University Hospital
Case MetroHealth
University of Cincinnati
University of Maryland
Duke
Baylor (Houston)
If anyone is going to Michigan for interviews and has any questions about some of the local programs here feel free to ask and I can tell you what I know-

Good Luck!!

Goonie-

I heard from Louisville on 9/23 and St. Vincent on 10/12 both by email and ERAS mail.

I have 4 interviews alreday, it thought it wasnt much but after readsing this it seems like a lot,,plus i am an IMG, my step 1 score is pretty decent but i still have to wait 2 more weeks for the step 2 score,,
I got bridgeport in CT - NY Methodist - NJ st Joseph and Atlanta medical center,,,,does anyone know something specific about this porgrams???

Oh and i got rejected from baylor - cleveland - virginia and austin

minime said:
Just wondered if anyone has gotten an invite for an interview yet. I just finished my app up last night, and checked on the progress and most have downloaded it.
One of my friends already got an invite (for IM). He sent his app in the first day.
:) :) :thumbdown: :thumbdown: