Any interviews yet?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Heard from UMASS today! Thank goodness....

Members don't see this ad.

Heard from UMASS today! Thank goodness.... :D

sorry about the double. my computer's cantankerous today! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Maybe this has been covered, but most of my interviews have a dinner with the residents and faculty the night before-what are you guys going to wear to these things since this will actually be the first impression that you make on them?

minime said:
Maybe this has been covered, but most of my interviews have a dinner with the residents and faculty the night before-what are you guys going to wear to these things since this will actually be the first impression that you make on them?

Minime:
I was thinking I would do dressy casual: ie nice slacks/skirt with a blouse or sweater. I wasn't planning to dress in a suit, as I'll be wearing that the next day throughout the interview...but I wasn't going to just wear jeans either.

Hope that helps! Good luck!

Thanks for the reply. That's what I was thinking as well (well I guess no skirt since I'm a guy).
I just wanted to make sure that everyone else was doing the same.

hey all, since i've already had one interview shin-dig, i guess i have to say that it depends where you are interviewing what to wear the night before. i just recently interviewed at UNM and i wore a nicer skirt and a sweater but was a little over dressed, but its the south west. i'm going to U of Minnesota next and will wear probably something similar and will not be overdressed. Either way, my mother would tell you better over than under-dressed. If you don't know its ok, dont wear jeans (but if going to UNM, you can wear them with a nicer shirt or sweater) :cool:

jay1363 said:
I applied to 22 programs and I've gotten interviews from -

UMass
SUNY Upstate
Maine
Virginia Commonwealth
LSU-New Orleans
LSU-Shreveport
Medical College of Georgia - Augusta
Medical College of Wisconsin - Milwaukee
UAMS
Kentucky
Vanderbilt
Orlando
Cincinnati
New Mexico

Kentucky and Shreveport sent their invites by snail mail. It's starting to get tough to schedule these, all the dates seem to be the same. My invites trickled in until I got my transcript and last LOR uploaded. Good luck to everyone!

my advice cancel Medical College of Wisconsin - Milwaukee if it the Aurora Sinai program, they lost all their chiefs last year. Medical College of Georgia - Augusta and Orlando are tough programs no night floats and hard to please faculty. My advice if the program doesn't have a night float system you're life will be he-double hockey sticks. Also if the programs has fewer that 4 residents and one or two residents are off for maternity leave you life will be tough as well.

Just my 2 cents

minime said:

Girls-
nice pants with blouse and jacket.
Guys
Tie with casual dress attire kakis no jeans no tennis shoes.

I hope you don't mind my comments I interviewed at many of the same programs you too will be interviewing. I just want you to know of any major issues so you all may not reject a promising interview for an accepted interview to a program with non-desirable circumstances. Like I see many of you jumped at the first bite and accepted all your interviews and now don't want to interview any more because you've booked so many.

Ask these questions before accepting an interview.
Give me a list of your residents what yr and where they graduated from
Have you had any residents leave in the last 2 years? why
Have you had any faculty leave in the last 2 years why
How long has the Program director been in office.
**The program director should NOT also be the chair***
Diane

Also I haven't seen many people get interviews from Indiana University (Purdue) IUPI or Albert Einstein Philadelphia or Franklin Square in Baltimore these programs have a night float 2 of them have computerized charting (a BIG BONUS) and the faculty and staff are really top notch.

Diane L. Evans said:
Also I haven't seen many people get interviews from Indiana University (Purdue) IUPI or Albert Einstein Philadelphia or Franklin Square in Baltimore these programs have a night float 2 of them have computerized charting (a BIG BONUS) and the faculty and staff are really top notch.
i will be interviewing at indiana university in january. any advice would be welcomed. :)

Diane L. Evans said:
**The program director should NOT also be the chair***
why is this the case? only one program at which i will be interviewing lists the program director and the program chair as the same person.

Members don't see this ad :)
Interviews from Louisville and OU Tulsa in the past couple of days. Anybody applying to Rochester heard anything from them yet?

Adding St. Luke's Roosevelt in NYC and UMDNJ to my list of interview offers...it's starting to get a little crowded in my schedule! Starting with my first one tomorrow - LIJ. Very excited, and a little nervous!

I also applied to Rochester and haven't heard anything yet. November 1st is right around the corner though!

Any one hear anything positive or negative from Gainesville?

fuzzyerin said:
I also applied to Rochester and haven't heard anything yet. November 1st is right around the corner though!

And it can't come soon enough!

:) kem

UC Davis and Tulane today...

Good luck!

I was invited to Tulane today also.

Major dry spell lately. I guess next week should pick up again after the deans letters get submitted. I heard from Temple and Vanderbilt this week. invite from Temple, rejection from Vandy. Oh well, can't win them all. How is everybody feeling??? Getting excited??? I am!

Has anyone heard from the program in Kansas City, KS? My wife got an email two weeks ago saying that her application was in the Screening Process and it gave the interview dates. However, it said that they would notify about invites/rejections this week, since the residency coordinator was out of the office last week. As of yet, no word from them.

Applied to 29 programs, so far 12 invites, 1 rejection, and 2 waiting to hear:

INVITES FROM:
Tulane, New Orelans
LSU, New Orleans
SLU, St. Louis
St. John's Mercy, St. Louis
Advocate Illinois Masonic, Chicago
Mercy, Chicago
St. Joseph, Chicago
Morehouse, Atlanta
Atlanta Medical Center, Atlanta
Methodist, Dallas
John Peter Smith, Dallas
UTH-LBJ, Houston

REJECTED from Baylor Houston.

Heard from Emory Atlanta and UT Memphis.

Heard from Tulane a few days ago - I guess they had a busy week. How many interviews is everyone wanting to try to go on?

Tufts today!

Tufts-NEMC
Beth Israel Deaconness
UMass
Mt. Sinai
Brown

Also got some emails from Brigham, saying that they would make *all* notifications by November 10th! How are they going to sift through 600 full applications in a week and a half...?

Come on, November 1st!

blueline76 said:
Has anyone heard from the program in Kansas City, KS? My wife got an email two weeks ago saying that her application was in the Screening Process and it gave the interview dates. However, it said that they would notify about invites/rejections this week, since the residency coordinator was out of the office last week. As of yet, no word from them.

Nevermind, KUMC sent out their invites today.

Interviews so far:

U of Arizona
U of Maryland
SUNY stony brook
Washington Hosp Center
Sinai hosp Baltimore
Temple Univ
Jefferson Univ
UMDNJ-NBruns
UT Austin
Long Island Hosp
Vanderbilt Univ

Good Luck Ya'll. I hope to see some of ya'll on the trail

UConn by phone yesterday and LSU-Shreveport today.

I'm thinking of going on 15-20 interviews...I'm sure less is probably fine, but I tend to be a bit paranoid!

Okay, I've decided I need to do a consensus list, mostly for my own sake:

Interviews Done:
LIJ

Interviews Scheduled:
SUNY Upstate
Brown
North Shore
Lehigh Valley
SUNY Stony brook
UMass
Ohio State
UMDNJ
Baystate

Interviews I need to schedule (because they were offered on Friday):
Tufts
UConn
(kem, are you going to UConn? I'd love to meet you! and wasn't the phone call kinda cool?)

Interview I need to schedule because it's my school but I don't really want to:
NYMC

Interviews I'm going to decline (though I haven't yet):
St. Luke's Roosevelt - NYC
St. Luke's Bethlehem - PA

Still waiting to hear on most of my NYC Programs, like Cornell, Columbia, NYU and some reaches, like Brigham, but I'm pretty happy so far. And November 1st is just a few days away!

After a dry spell of 2 weeks, 2 interviews- UMDNJ- New Brunswick & Penn State Milton S Hersey med center.
Anyone attending the interview at Aurora sinai-Milwaukee on the 15th nov & El Paso on 19th Nov? Good Luck !

Received an e-mail invite from Loyola this afternoon!

Good luck guys....We should all be hearing more after today! :)

anyone have any insight into U of Maryland? I really like their program on paper but don't really know much about what goes on there. I'd like to find out more before I head there for an interview..thanks guys!

Finally!! I had not heard anything from programs in forever. Interview from Yale today and heard from Oregon (said they would be offering interviews soon). Good luck everyone.

Jules1231 said:
Interview from Yale today
did you hear by e-mail or did you receive a letter?

pretty much sticking to Texas (only applied to 16 programs):

offered an interview at:
- UT San Antonio
- UT Houston - Hermann
- UT Houston - LBJ
- St. Joseph's in Houston
- UT Southwestern Dallas
- Methodist in Dallas
- JPS in Fort Worth
- Scott & White in Temple
- UTMB in Austin
- Emory in Atlanta
- Atlanta Medical Center
- Exempla in Denver

haven't heard from:
- UTMB Galveston
- Baylor Houston
- Baylor Dallas
- U. Colorado in Denver

opinions/advice anyone??? good luck to all...maybe i'll see you on the interview trail!
- koro

Maryland didn't fill 5 of their spots 2 years ago, but did rebound last year. I, along with several close friends, were turned off immediately at our interviews last year by the attitude of some faculty members and residents. In their defense, they have been going through a big transition period and things may have changed for the better.

One caveat to keep in mind: the residents there have zero say in the selection process, so save your best for the interviewers (which all happened to be attendings)

Good luck!

University of South Florida today! They only have 4 interview dates, though...

Fuzzyerin, I'm hoping to be scheduled for UConn on Jan 4...when are you going to interview there? That phone call from the PD was awesome, it was a great way to make you remember their program. It would be cool to meet you!

Good luck all! Congrats on everyone's interviews!

Thanks GD!
that helps. :)

I waited and waited for November 1, and so far, all I've gotten is my Rochester interview!

still patiently waiting........

fuzzyerin said:
I waited and waited for November 1, and so far, all I've gotten is my Rochester interview!

still patiently waiting........

I don't think you're the only one. It's been VERY slow for my wife as well for about a week. Only one and it was a rejection from Wake Forest.

I also thought that the floodgates would burst open. I have only gotten one invite since Nov. 1. I guess I can't complain I've gotten 16 invites from 24 apps. Thus far: U. Kentucky, U. Louisville, UT-knoxville and Memphis, Marshall U., Wright State U., USC-Columbia, Carolinas Medical Center, Good Sam. and Bethesda in cincy, U. Indiana, St. Vincent, U. Kansas, UMKC, St. Johns, ETSU.

Interviews from yale and u of colorado this week. I heard that by mid next week, most programs will be making invite decisions.

I too am waiting patiently for post Deans Letter day invites. Today I got my first rejections from UNC and Emory.

So far 16 invitations: Phoenix Banner and Integrated, U of AZ, Exempla CO, Uof Fl-Jax, U of MO KC, Wake Forest, U of OK, Baylor Dallas, Methodist Dallas, UTMB, St. Joseph Houston, UT Houston LBJ and Memorial, UT San Antonio, A&M Temple.

jchernan said:
Interviews from yale and u of colorado this week. I heard that by mid next week, most programs will be making invite decisions.
How did you hear from univ of colorado-denver. email or snail mail. If you could also list their interview dates that would be awesome. Have a great day.

1 rejection today- Emory.

tigger said:
I too am waiting patiently for post Deans Letter day invites. Today I got my first rejections from UNC and Emory.

So far 16 invitations: Phoenix Banner and Integrated, U of AZ, Exempla CO, Uof Fl-Jax, U of MO KC, Wake Forest, U of OK, Baylor Dallas, Methodist Dallas, UTMB, St. Joseph Houston, UT Houston LBJ and Memorial, UT San Antonio, A&M Temple.

If you don't mind, can you share some info? When did you get your invitation from Phx Banner & Maricopa? Was it through snail mail or email? What are the dates they are offering? Thanks! & Good Luck on your interviews..

1 rejection today from Emory

first time on this, here's my list:

Interviews at:
LIJ
North Shore
Winthrop
Mt. Sinai
St. Luke's
Illinois Masonic
Lutheran (IL)
Kaiser Oakland
Kaiser LA
Cedars Sinai

Rejected from:
Beth Israel, Mass

Waiting patiently for other big NY programs, some chicago, and some cali. does anyone have any idea when NYU, columbia, cornell will be sending out their letters?

good luck eveyone!

oops-- forgot to add on my own home school-- also have an interview at loyola

mams19 said:
oops-- forgot to add on my own home school-- also have an interview at loyola
and yale also