Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have a list of the rotation sites? I can't seem to find one.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
It should be in your folder during interview. They have a rotation maps.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone have a list of the rotation sites? I can't seem to find one.

ImageUploadedBySDN1490649979.045348.jpg

here you go! This is from the interview day folder

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Current ACOM students! The COA from 2016-2017 year 1 shows $5,350 for books and supplies. Does this reflect the true amount for the items/books that we will really need? I know that the medical equipment will be around $1k.

Current ACOM students! The COA from 2016-2017 year 1 shows $5,350 for books and supplies. Does this reflect the true amount for the items/books that we will really need? I know that the medical equipment will be around $1k.
I believe during the interview, they said the laptop is already loaded with text books we need. The rest is supplemental that we need to purchase for our own goods

I believe during the interview, they said the laptop is already loaded with text books we need. The rest is supplemental that we need to purchase for our own goods
I thought the laptop was loaded into the tuition, not the supplies/books?

I thought the laptop was loaded into the tuition, not the supplies/books?
Yeah, that count towards tuition. The books/supplies, I believe, are for things like notebook, folders, board preps, anki, etc, that you want to purchase on your own, maybe?

Where is the facebook page for 2017 students? Can anyone provide me the link, I know it has been asked in previous thread somewhere, could not locate. Thanks.

Nah, not for the first year. But keep in mind that you will be spending more your second year for UWorld and First Aid. Some students bought SketchyMedical their first year for a two year subscription. I spent less than $100 on books my first year.

Members don't see this ad :)
ACGME match list is out, and it looks pretty darn good.

Reactions: 2 users
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Sort of a weird question here... since the first class has officially been matched and will be graduated soon....

Any hope that the mandatory attendance and/or dress code will be loosened up a bit? I think there was some buzz about this and it would be nice to know.

Sort of a weird question here... since the first class has officially been matched and will be graduated soon....

Any hope that the mandatory attendance and/or dress code will be loosened up a bit? I think there was some buzz about this and it would be nice to know.
I mean, besides students and (potential students) not favoring it, what buzz are you talking about?

I've seen nothing to indicate it is changing.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Hi Applicants for the Class of 2021!! I will be a rising OMS-3 at ACOM this summer. Should any of you have any questions about the school or application process, just shoot me a PM or tag me here in the post. I check in rather frequently and I will be glad to help any of you out!

Good Luck!

I apply at acom for the fall 2017, i sent my secondary and sent my mcat little late because i took it again in January and my score was a little below 500, but i have healthcare background , i am a medical laboratory technologist who worked in the lab for the last 5 year. I haven't get interview yet, do you think i have a chance to get interview? and until when acom conduct interview?

Thanks

I mean, besides students and (potential students) not favoring it, what buzz are you talking about?

I've seen nothing to indicate it is changing.

I have talked to a couple of second years and one first year- soon to be second year- and they said there had been some "talk" (no idea what that means, exactly) that mandatory attendance and similar policies were in place because of 'provisional accreditation,' and that a few other schools had gone through the same process before they had graduated their first classes. To be fair, other current students didn't mention anything of the sort and I personally do not think it will change at any time during my first two years.

Since ACOM just matched all of the students in its first class and said inaugural class is soon to graduate, they ~weakly~ indicated that there was a small chance that ACOM might follow suit of other newer schools (I don't remember which ones they cited) and either get rid of or reduce some of the policies since it will now be fully accredited. The vertical extent to which this "buzz" has reached, i.e. whether it's just a person or two as low on the policy-making chain as a student who doesn't like mandatory attendance or as high up as someone on the administrative board... I have no idea. I just figured I'd ask on this board since it wasn't something that I just came up with or made up... I did hear this from current students.

I apply at acom for the fall 2017, i sent my secondary and sent my mcat little late because i took it again in January and my score was a little below 500, but i have healthcare background , i am a medical laboratory technologist who worked in the lab for the last 5 year. I haven't get interview yet, do you think i have a chance to get interview? and until when acom conduct interview?

Thanks
Hi! Perhaps calling the school or emailing Linda Goodson at [email protected] could help you get your answer. Since this page is mostly students and prospective students, we really can't give you a good answer. Good luck with everything!

Hi! Perhaps calling the school or emailing Linda Goodson at [email protected] could help you get your answer. Since this page is mostly students and prospective students, we really can't give you a good answer. Good luck with everything!

Thanks! It's not really a huge deal for me. During my graduate work, lectures were podcasted and you could watch them right after they were completed from home... speed them up, slow them down, pause them, zoom in, zoom out, etc. and it was absolutely amazing. Saved a ton of time and I could actually absorb all of the lecture instead of having to sit in a classroom for hours at a time and pray that my attention didn't wane. That would be ideal, but I also understand that most of medical school is student-directed anyway and I am going to be be studying... a lot... and my performance will not be decided by any school policy but rather how much effort I put in.

I'm not really THAT worried about it... I just recall how awesome it was to be able to watch lectures at my own pace and have the ability to freeze them if nature called... for me or my dog! I would call, but at this point I wouldn't expect any transparency on the issue from someone at the school even if, in the off chance, they were going to get rid of mandatory attendance altogether. I also don't want to go on their blacklist of potential troublemakers, lol. I'm just excited to start the path towards becoming a doc. Not having the luxury of lectures from home during the pre-clinical years is very low on my priority list. I just threw it out there because it was something I heard.

Have a good weekend, cheers~!

Reactions: 1 users
Thanks! It's not really a huge deal for me. During my graduate work, lectures were podcasted and you could watch them right after they were completed from home... speed them up, slow them down, pause them, zoom in, zoom out, etc. and it was absolutely amazing. Saved a ton of time and I could actually absorb all of the lecture instead of having to sit in a classroom for hours at a time and pray that my attention didn't wane. That would be ideal, but I also understand that most of medical school is student-directed anyway and I am going to be be studying... a lot... and my performance will not be decided by any school policy but rather how much effort I put in.

I'm not really THAT worried about it... I just recall how awesome it was to be able to watch lectures at my own pace and have the ability to freeze them if nature called... for me or my dog! I would call, but at this point I wouldn't expect any transparency on the issue from someone at the school even if, in the off chance, they were going to get rid of mandatory attendance altogether. I also don't want to go on their blacklist of potential troublemakers, lol. I'm just excited to start the path towards becoming a doc. Not having the luxury of lectures from home during the pre-clinical years is very low on my priority list. I just threw it out there because it was something I heard.

Have a good weekend, cheers~!
It'd still make the school even doper if the attendance policy was dropped.

Hope there is some truth to what you said in your earlier post.

Does anyone know when they start to look at/ starting pulling people off from the waitlist?

Does anyone know when they start to look at/ starting pulling people off from the waitlist?

It should be going on right now.

What I do know is that:

-For AMCAS, MD schools are supposed to prove that they sent out an appropriate number of offers by MARCH 15TH. I believe they have to ensure AMCAS that they have sent out a number of offers that is > or = their expected incoming class size. It is usually more.

-At or right about this date, a significant subset of aspiring doctors that have already put down their deposits at a DO school will happily discover that their state MD school (or another MD school that they prefer) has accepted them. This time usually corresponds rather adjacently to DO schools, like ACOM, losing a bunch of commits from the pool of accepted students that confirmed their spots with deposits.

-If I remember correctly from the interview, ACOM stated they expected to take ~50 off the waitlist between March 15 and July.

-This is definitely something they should be willing to tell you rather forthrightly (is that a word?) if you call or email them on Monday.

Hi Applicants for the Class of 2021!! I will be a rising OMS-3 at ACOM this summer. Should any of you have any questions about the school or application process, just shoot me a PM or tag me here in the post. I check in rather frequently and I will be glad to help any of you out!

Good Luck!

I sent acom my january mcat score but still didn't get an interview yet, and we are already in april, what should i do ? i acknowledge my mcat was a little low but i have a healthcare experience, i worked in the medical laboratory for the last 5 years.

I sent acom my january mcat score but still didn't get an interview yet, and we are already in april, what should i do ? i acknowledge my mcat was a little low but i have a healthcare experience, i worked in the medical laboratory for the last 5 years.

If you're worried, you could call and ask if they are still reviewing applications for interviews. They are very friendly and probably will give you an update.

Thanks
Was there a significant increase in your mcat?

Interviewed 3/17. Waitlisted. Anyone else from 3/17 hear anything? 3.5 m/s gpa 3.6 cum gpa. mcat 497. I feel like my mcat will keep me out.
Also 2 years of scribing for MD and DO (both of which wrote some of my rec letters) while in undergrad (I graduate in May).

Last edited:
Interviewed 3/17. Waitlisted. Anyone else from 3/17 hear anything? 3.5 m/s gpa 3.6 cum gpa. mcat 497. I feel like my mcat will keep me out.
Interviewed 3/24. Waitlisted as well. quick turnaround tho, i heard on 3/31

Interviewed 3/24. Waitlisted as well. quick turnaround tho, i heard on 3/31

Yeah thats when I heard. 3/31. Felt like interview went well but I just wish I knew how many people were on the waitlist and where I stand compared to everyone else.

Yeah thats when I heard. 3/31. Felt like interview went well but I just wish I knew how many people were on the waitlist and where I stand compared to everyone else.
Word of encouragement - a lot of Waitlist movement

Any current students know if you get a winter break in years 3 and 4 or do you have a rotation going on during that time?

TBH it's very very late in the cycle to be waiting for an interview invite with anything less than exceptional scores :/

i got 482
You aren't getting an interview anywhere brother. That's low for any professional schools (pod or carribbean). Most people score higher without any studying on their diagnostic. How or did you study?