Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Had my interview here today. Wasn't bad, but could've probably gone better in many respects. However, the facility is amazing! Loved the atmosphere and the newness of the place. Would love to matriculate if given the opportunity

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey guys-- I know this is super late in the cycle but I applied around February and just received an e-mail saying a missing document is needed (advisor/ committee letter or science faculty 2). I haven't been able to obtain another science faculty letter as they either 1) don't remember me or 2) won't be able to submit before the deadline. I submitted two other recommendations as well (but they were from psychology profs). However, one was from a psychopharmacology prof and I feel like it could somewhat be considered a science LOR? Idk..

Have any of you encountered this problem? should I call admissions and talk to them? Or are they super super strict on this requirement?

Hey guys-- I know this is super late in the cycle but I applied around February and just received an e-mail saying a missing document is needed (advisor/ committee letter or science faculty 2). I haven't been able to obtain another science faculty letter as they either 1) don't remember me or 2) won't be able to submit before the deadline. I submitted two other recommendations as well (but they were from psychology profs). However, one was from a psychopharmacology prof and I feel like it could somewhat be considered a science LOR? Idk..

Have any of you encountered this problem? should I call admissions and talk to them? Or are they super super strict on this requirement?

They have super strict requirements on their letters. I had to contact all of my writers to resubmit for signatures/letterheads missing. They were able to tell me quickly what I needed to fix and from what I remember, everything moved pretty fast from there. Just shoot them an email.

Members don't see this ad :)
for everyone who was accepted and lives in summer field , when did you put down your $300 deposit? the leasing manager posts on the page saying that it's gonna be full by the end of this month, but idk if it's exaggeration/to get us to put down $$$$$ sooner or because it's actually full and was wondering if i could get some input. thx!

for everyone who was accepted and lives in summer field , when did you put down your $300 deposit? the leasing manager posts on the page saying that it's gonna be full by the end of this month, but idk if it's exaggeration/to get us to put down $$$$$ sooner or because it's actually full and was wondering if i could get some input. thx!
honestly i wouldn't be surprised. I put down my deposit in December. I would put it in as soon as you know you want to live there.

Also waitlisted just now from a 2/24 interview.

Waitlisted as well....interviewed on 2/24

S.O. waitlisted from 2/24. Anyone know how the waitlist is ranked/not ranked or when movement may occur? Desperately hoping to attend med school with my husband...

deleted because I solved my problem!

Last edited:
S.O. waitlisted from 2/24. Anyone know how the waitlist is ranked/not ranked or when movement may occur? Desperately hoping to attend med school with my husband...

From what others have posted after speaking with admissions, I don't believe the waitlist is ranked. Movement typically starts after interviews are complete...which I believe is May. They've accepted people as late as orientation week, though.

I have a feeling the WL actually is (more or less) ranked. I remember them saying that after a certain point in the cycle the stats for applicants really drop off to the point that they are lower than those waitlisted earlier in the cycle... This is the point when they stop making new interviews and really start re-evaluating the WL, and I'd imagine that the first thing they look at to pull from WL is stats.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who has been waitlisted, what are your stats and ECs if you guys don't mind me asking?

3.5 GPA, 3.25 sGPA, highest MCAT 497, lots of work experience/volunteer and extra science courses. Did have a couple bad science grades in undergrad that affect my app/interview

Does anyone know if there is any health insurance provided by the school (I think I remember them saying there is an option), and if so how much is it?

I interviewed last Friday at ACOM, 3/10. They were very straightforward with us, so I will share what they told us at the interview:

First, there was a smaller group interviewing on the 10th, than usual. They usually interview about 18 on an interview day, but we had only around 12-13 candidates

They basically have deposits for 160-162 seats already, so anyone interviewing at this point is doing so for a spot on the WL.

They accept students into July usually.

They don't officially rank their waitlist, but they do have preferences of certain students, especially at this point, whom they would accept if they had open spots. These students may be unofficially preferred for any opening spots that start to emerge.

They tend to have the most people drop their seats in late April and early May, so, if one the waitlist, one should expect the most movement then.

Nationally, 35-45% of those on WL come off eventually, and ACOM has a 40-45% rate of coming off the WL. Even last year, they had at least 30 dropped deposits. However, Alabama usually interviews between 400-450 students a year, but, this year, they started interviews earlier, so they expect to have interviewed over 600 this cycle. That means their waitlist could be longer this year and a WL'ed individual having a lower chance than before, unless they maintain the WL at the same size.

They are re-applicant friendly.

I hope that helped, and wish me luck to get on the WL. :)

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if there is any health insurance provided by the school (I think I remember them saying there is an option), and if so how much is it?

ACOM has student health insurance - Consolidated Health Plans. It was about $2,900 for this school year. It's probably going to go up a little this coming year.

Thank you so much for sharing!! That gives us a lot of insight into their process/status and definitely makes me feel better. Good luck!

Thank you so much for sharing!! That gives us a lot of insight into their process/status and definitely makes me feel better. Good luck!

I interviewed last Friday at ACOM, 3/10. They were very straightforward with us, so I will share what they told us at the interview:

First, there was a smaller group interviewing on the 10th, than usual. They usually interview about 18 on an interview day, but we had only around 12-13 candidates

They basically have deposits for 160-162 seats already, so anyone interviewing at this point is doing so for a spot on the WL.

They accept students into July usually.

They don't officially rank their waitlist, but they do have preferences of certain students, especially at this point, whom they would accept if they had open spots. These students may be unofficially preferred for any opening spots that start to emerge.

They tend to have the most people drop their seats in late April and early May, so, if one the waitlist, one should expect the most movement then.

Nationally, 35-45% of those on WL come off eventually, and ACOM has a 40-45% rate of coming off the WL. Even last year, they had at least 30 dropped deposits. However, Alabama usually interviews between 400-450 students a year, but, this year, they started interviews earlier, so they expect to have interviewed over 600 this cycle. That means their waitlist could be longer this year and a WL'ed individual having a lower chance than before, unless they maintain the WL at the same size.

They are re-applicant friendly.

I hope that helped, and wish me luck to get on the WL. :)
Great info! Thanks for the insight. Hoping all of those emails and updates with adcoms since August will work in my favor!

Does anyone know if ACOM is posting their match list this week? It would be interesting to see how their inaugural class did

Reactions: 2 users
Waitlisted today. Interviewed on Friday (3/10), so that was quite a fast turnaround time. Hopefully that means they really liked me if they didn't need much deliberation for my application lol

Applying here 3/24. Hearing all this talk of WL is nerve racking as this my last chance at matriculation in 2017. Any tips for the interview?

Applying here 3/24. Hearing all this talk of WL is nerve racking as this my last chance at matriculation in 2017. Any tips for the interview?
Are you interviewing or applying on 3/24?

It does sound like interviews are for waitlist positions at this point but there's always a chance you would be picked up off the waitlist. I recommend being very familiar with your application and be prepared to briefly discuss any weaknesses in your app if they ask you. Don't concentrate on weaknesses and don't even mention them unless they ask first. you may get a curveball or two but my interview was pretty straightforward. I was asked about my weak MCAT score and given a thought provoking question and everything else was personal and comfortable. My interview was very laid back but I've heard many others had more challenging interviews. it's hard to know what type of interview you'll be walking into but just try and project a calm, happy, confident mood. When in doubt, smile

Last edited:

Just relax honestly. It could be a crapshoot for the atmosphere of interview you'll walk into. All are 2 to 1 faculty to interviewee, which helps to keep your mind off of making eye contact with only one person. Mine was a mix of laid back and stressful, however erring much more on the relaxed side. Prepared to have a few thought-provoking ethical questions that you may be asked (I.e. What would you do if you caught your friend lying to another friend, etc.). There's really no "right or wrong" answer, but rather how you come to choose the answer you do select. The more confident you are overall, the better. Interviewers love to see someone who speaks clearly, loudly (not yelling though), with good eye contact, and with a certain sureness in their answers. Remember it's not what you say, it's how you say it. With that being said, the interview is only 30 min out of the entire 6-7 hour day. With that perspective, you should feel much better about the whole thing. Your best bet for calming your nerves is to talk to other interviewees there. My group just mainly joked around a bunch and talked sports for the majority of the day, which made the whole atmosphere much more relaxed. Hope I could help! Remember always ask for business cards after your interview is over!

Good luck!

Are you interviewing or applying on 3/24?

It does sound like interviews are for waitlist positions at this point but there's always a chance you would be picked up off the waitlist. I recommend being very familiar with your application and be prepared to briefly discuss any weaknesses in your app if they ask you. Don't concentrate on weaknesses and don't even mention them unless they ask first. you may get a curveball or two but my interview was pretty straightforward. I was asked about my weak MCAT score and given a thought provoking question and everything else was personal and comfortable. My interview was very laid back but I've heard many others had more challenging interviews. it's hard to know what type of interview you'll be walking into but just try and project a calm, happy, confident mood. When in doubt, smile
Interviewing, my bad lol

Does anyone know if accepted students need to fill out any financial info other than FAFSA?

GradPlus Loans or other scholarship applications.

Are we able to apply for the GRAD plus loan yet for 2017-2018? I went to do it and that was not an option yet. Maybe we have to wait until our reward notice comes?

Are we able to apply for the GRAD plus loan yet for 2017-2018? I went to do it and that was not an option yet. Maybe we have to wait until our reward notice comes?
Just completed your entrance counseling and MPN for both loans for now

I think it will be a little bit longer before the application process is open to use. Perhaps first week of April if I'm not mistaken.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it will be a little bit longer before the application process is open to use. Perhaps first week of April if I'm not mistaken.
I was told the new application is supposed to open in May

Where can I find the match list for 2017 for ACOM?

Reactions: 4 users
Anyone know if ACOM has a minimum grade requirement for the last semester if we're already accepted and paid the deposit? I've got a tough class right now and there is a possibility I might end up with a C :(

Withdrew my seat today. Good luck to all of you on the waitlist and hopefully my seat goes to one of you deserving individuals! Good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 5 users
I had a question about the equipment list on the Matriculation Package. Do we have to buy through The Medical Store? It says you can return the equipment for a refund, so does that mean even if you already have the equipment (from a different store) you have to order from The Medical Store to fulfil the matriculation checklist? Thanks!

I had a question about the equipment list on the Matriculation Package. Do we have to buy through The Medical Store? It says you can return the equipment for a refund, so does that mean even if you already have the equipment (from a different store) you have to order from The Medical Store to fulfil the matriculation checklist? Thanks!

I think someone addressed this on the C/O 2021 FB page. Pretty sure as long as it's the same equipment, you don't have to get the Medical Store package. I already had the exact same Littman Stethoscope from working as an EMT so they told me not to buy another obviously

Just for everyone on here that's on the waitlist, we have a lot of students currently that were taken off of the list and are doing exceptionally well in class. Don't let being on the list make you think that you aren't as good, a thought that I had. It just gives them a little bit more time to look at your body of work. Also, I interviewed at the end of April and didn't find out until June so the hype train rides all the way until then

Reactions: 4 users
Ah congrats! When were you complete?
I heard they're only waitlisting from here on out. I could be wrong though. The waitlist has some good movement usually around April/May and last year a couple of us, including me were taken off of it. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey guys, I received a couple of emails from ACOM about my missing LOR. I tried emailing them and called a couple of times, but no one has responded or answered the phone. Does anyone have a contact I can reach out to? Or anyone that I can talk to? Thanks!

Deleted. Got my answer

Last edited:
Hey guys, I received a couple of emails from ACOM about my missing LOR. I tried emailing them and called a couple of times, but no one has responded or answered the phone. Does anyone have a contact I can reach out to? Or anyone that I can talk to? Thanks!

[email protected]

Will be withdrawing my acceptance. It was a tough choice! Thank you to ACOM for my first acceptance, making the cycle a lot less stressful!

Hope it goes to one of you still waiting (@kovalchuk71 this would be yours if I could specify )! Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users