Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thanks to the folks that said waitlist movement wouldn't happen till mid-May...I can finally start sending these telemarketer calls from Alabama straight to voicemail. Best of luck to my fellow listers, it's been a very long couple months and will be an even longer month or so ahead!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
You aren't getting an interview anywhere brother. That's low for any professional schools (pod or carribbean). Most people score higher without any studying on their diagnostic. How or did you study?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

Well, I did study but I struggle with the comprehensive and the psychology part, how did you guys study?

TBH it's very very late in the cycle to be waiting for an interview invite with anything less than exceptional scores :/

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I agree. I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but at this point it's best to start preparing for the next cycle. I highly recommend an SMP. ACOM loves applicants who do SMP's

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I did study but I struggle with the comprehensive and the psychology part, how did you guys study?
MCATJelly's schedule is what I used. Ends up being mostly Examkrackers study material with lots of supplementary practice (questions and full length exams). What does the rest of your app look like? GPA and health-care experience, specifically.

anyone know if there are any summer research opportunities at acom? most of my peers who got in last cycle were able to find some 1-1.5 month research studies at their schools with affiliated hospitals. this means they get a name credit on a publishing and a nice $1-2k in the bank as well. as far as i know there are none at acom but i know the school is quickly evolving so i thought i'd ask.

MCATJelly's schedule is what I used. Ends up being mostly Examkrackers study material with lots of supplementary practice (questions and full length exams). What does the rest of your app look like? GPA and health-care experience, specifically.

I am a medical laboratory scientist and have been working in a 400 hospital bed lab for the last 5 years, and my GPA is 3.6. I also apply at vcom auburn by the way.

thanks to the folks that said waitlist movement wouldn't happen till mid-May...I can finally start sending these telemarketer calls from Alabama straight to voicemail. Best of luck to my fellow listers, it's been a very long couple months and will be an even longer month or so ahead!
I've got my fingers crossed for you!

I am a medical laboratory scientist and have been working in a 400 hospital bed lab for the last 5 years, and my GPA is 3.6. I also apply at vcom auburn by the way.
Gotta retake your MCAT and apply early for next cycle. 100%.
What is SMP?
Special Master's program. You don't need one. You need a 500+ MCAT. SMPs are good for GPA primarily (if that's an issue).

Gotta retake your MCAT and apply early for next cycle. 100%.

Special Master's program. You don't need one. You need a 500+ MCAT. SMPs are good for GPA primarily (if that's an issue).

I agree with this. Your mcat score increase will get you in no problem. Check out the MCAT forum for additional help. It's a gold mine.

Any movement off of the waitlist so far or are they still interviewing?

Has anyone heard of an acceptance since February?? Seems like they should definitely have plenty of seats to pull from waitlist since I know many people have dropped acceptances since then

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
So, I got waitlisted on March 31st here, anyone knows how big is their current waitlist? During the interview, they stated that last year they had close to 40+ seats open?

So, I got waitlisted on March 31st here, anyone knows how big is their current waitlist? During the interview, they stated that last year they had close to 40+ seats open?
Patience is a virtue

Reactions: 1 users
I've got my fingers crossed for you!

thanks! been at this for 3 years now, another month won't kill me

Has anyone heard of an acceptance since February?? Seems like they should definitely have plenty of seats to pull from waitlist since I know many people have dropped acceptances since then

I flipped back through this thread and the most recent acceptance I saw was from the last couple days of Feb. Everyone else since then has been waitlisted. This website doesn't have the entire applicant pool obviously but it seems like a pretty good cross-section.

I could be wrong but I don't think they disclose that. They said during the interview that they keep pretty tight lips about the waitlist, and I have snuck in a couple questions that weren't answered in grade update emails so who knows.

Bittersweet. Withdrawing. Staying closer to home but at one point was extremely excited to attend this school.

Won't go wrong by investing your future in this school.

Reactions: 9 users
Bittersweet. Withdrawing. Staying closer to home but at one point was extremely excited to attend this school.

Won't go wrong by investing your future in this school.

I'm so sad to hear this my friend. But I wish you success on your future academic endeavors. Hope to see you soon

I'm so sad to hear this my friend. But I wish you success on your future academic endeavors. Hope to see you soon
Thank bud! Good luck with everything. Your Chick Fil A antics were the perfect icebreaker on interview day .

thanks! been at this for 3 years now, another month won't kill me

I flipped back through this thread and the most recent acceptance I saw was from the last couple days of Feb. Everyone else since then has been waitlisted. This website doesn't have the entire applicant pool obviously but it seems like a pretty good cross-section.

I could be wrong but I don't think they disclose that. They said during the interview that they keep pretty tight lips about the waitlist, and I have snuck in a couple questions that weren't answered in grade update emails so who knows.
They did not during official interview day, but while we were doing the tour Mr.Willis was talking about how fluid their waitlist was, which gave me some words of encouragement, even thou this is like the 3rd waitlist I have had.

They did not during official interview day, but while we were doing the tour Mr.Willis was talking about how fluid their waitlist was, which gave me some words of encouragement, even thou this is like the 3rd waitlist I have had.

Thanks for the info. Just flipped through last years thread and saw the first "accepted off the waitlist" post was March 28th, waitlist acceptance posts were pretty sporadic for a while and then ramped up in May/June/July. I also went full internet detective and found on the MD side, April 30th seems to be the magic day for forcing applicants to decide on a school. DO side shows a May 15th date. You can google "[AMCAS/AACOMAS] traffic guidelines" for more info. With that in mind the idea of more waitlist movement in May seems to make sense.

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for the info. Just flipped through last years thread and saw the first "accepted off the waitlist" post was March 28th, waitlist acceptance posts were pretty sporadic for a while and then ramped up in May/June/July. I also went full internet detective and found on the MD side, April 30th seems to be the magic day for forcing applicants to decide on a school. DO side shows a May 15th date. You can google "[AMCAS/AACOMAS] traffic guidelines" for more info. With that in mind the idea of more waitlist movement in May seems to make sense.
Thank you for your helpful insight, Yeah I am hoping some movement comes on during the end of April, to May time. I do know that in general MD schools are required to lock up their student rosters by May 1st, so maybe that is why

JUST GOT TAKEN OFF THE WAITLIST....ACCEPTED! EXPECT A PHONE CALL PEOPLE

Reactions: 9 users
Also just got the acceptance call! Interviewed 3/17; waitlisted 3/31.

Reactions: 4 users
I interviewed Feb 24th, waitlisted March 13th

I interviewed April 7th and haven't heard an initial decision yet. I saw that most people had quick turnarounds so I'm confused.

I interviewed April 7th and haven't heard an initial decision yet. I saw that most people had quick turnarounds so I'm confused.
It takes around 2 weeks and you will hear back from them, if accepted you get a phone call, if rejected or waitlisted you get an email than a letteer in the mail

Does anyone know if the dress code allows for Scrubs OR business casual, or are the scrubs only meant for OMM lab days? If i could choose to wear scrubs over business casual everyday I'd surely do that lol

Does anyone know if the dress code allows for Scrubs OR business casual, or are the scrubs only meant for OMM lab days? If i could choose to wear scrubs over business casual everyday I'd surely do that lol

Business causal includes scrubs. You can wear basketball shorts/tanks for OMM lab days. I wear scrubs almost everyday to school, except for when we have guest lecturers, which requires white coats.

Business causal includes scrubs. You can wear basketball shorts/tanks for OMM lab days. I wear scrubs almost everyday to school, except for when we have guest lecturers, which requires white coats.
I don't think I can express how amazing that is. Getting dressed up in a button down w/ a tie everyday is just time consuming and annoying vs throwing on a pair of scrubs and heading to class. Just curious as to your source? Are you a current OMSI? I'll be attending this July so I'm just trying to fill myself in. Thanks for the answer.

Edit: After re-reading your post I assume you're an OMS-I/II haha

Also, can one buy scrubs from the school store??

Last edited:
For those who were accepted from the waitlist today, do you mind sharing your stats please? Thanks! I interviewed on Feb 24th and have been waitlisted since March 13th :/

I don't think I can express how amazing that is. Getting dressed up in a button down w/ a tie everyday is just time consuming and annoying vs throwing on a pair of scrubs and heading to class. Just curious as to your source? Are you a current OMSI? I'll be attending this July so I'm just trying to fill myself in. Thanks for the answer.

Edit: After re-reading your post I assume you're an OMS-I/II haha

Also, can one buy scrubs from the school store??

OMS-II. Not sure if they stock up on ACOM logo scrubs at the school store, but they are probably expensive because of the branding. Most of us buy ours online, or if you can find scrubs at Walmart that fits you, they're like $5-$8ish per top or bottom. Cherokee is a good brand that's on the cheaper end, about $25 for a set. If you're looking for super comfy, soft, and form fitting, I hear Figs, All Hearts, and Maevn Uniforms have really nice scrubs. Don't forget to buy a pair dedicated just for anatomy lab. You won't be using those again after first semester, unless you can get the smell out.

Reactions: 4 users
OMS-II. Not sure if they stock up on ACOM logo scrubs at the school store, but they are probably expensive because of the branding. Most of us buy ours online, or if you can find scrubs at Walmart that fits you, they're like $5-$8ish per top or bottom. Cherokee is a good brand that's on the cheaper end, about $25 for a set. If you're looking for super comfy, soft, and form fitting, I hear Figs, All Hearts, and Maevn Uniforms have really nice scrubs. Don't forget to buy a pair dedicated just for anatomy lab. You won't be using those again after first semester, unless you can get the smell out.
Screenshotted your reply and will be storing it in my ACOM folder for further use haha thanks again.

For scrubs, anyone know if there's a specific color we have to wear? Current OMS, any particular brand you really like for scrubs?

Also, has anyone received anything by email about the federal student loan application instructions yet?

Any current students know when schedules typically get posted or sent out? Also, when can we expect to hear back about our reward notices for financial aid? Thank you in advance!

FWIW I talked to admissions recently and the waitlist is not ranked and most movement will occur between 5/1 and 6/1. Good luck! Try to chill out people

Reactions: 3 users
Any current students know when schedules typically get posted or sent out? Also, when can we expect to hear back about our reward notices for financial aid? Thank you in advance!

Schedules are usually sent/posted mid-July. Mid-May/early June for financial aid depending on when you were accepted.

Does scrub pant + T shirt count as wearing scrubs? Scrub tops tend to be pretty "papery" to me, if that's a word.

FWIW I talked to admissions recently and the waitlist is not ranked and most movement will occur between 5/1 and 6/1.

I'm still curious how a non-ranked waitlist works. For example, I've been on the list since late last year and folks are getting pulled off after only a couple weeks. Doesn't that imply there's some sort of ranking going on?