Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AlteredScale

Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Space reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essay prompts when available and I will update this.

Good luck to everyone applying!

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Applicants! If anyone has any specific questions about the application process at ACOM, feel free to PM me. I JUST completed this process and will be starting at ACOM this July. Best of luck to you all!!! :)

Reactions: 7 users
Hello Applicants! If anyone has any specific questions about the application process at ACOM, feel free to PM me. I JUST completed this process and will be starting at ACOM this July. Best of luck to you all!!! :)

Can't believe it's already a new cycle. Where did the last year go!?

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Yey!!! applying here this cycle! Can't wait!! Does anyone know for this recent cycle how long the interview went until? Due to unforeseen circumstances I won't be applying until late September, hopefully this won't jeopardize my chances too much.

Reactions: 1 user
Yey!!! applying here this cycle! Can't wait!! Does anyone know for this recent cycle how long the interview went until? Due to unforeseen circumstances I won't be applying until late September, hopefully this won't jeopardize my chances too much.

I wasn't complete until late November. I recieved 7 II's and my stats weren't anything extraordinary. You'll be in good shape if you're complete in September!

I wasn't complete until late November. I recieved 7 II's and my stats weren't anything extraordinary. You'll be in good shape if you're complete in September!

What was your stats like if you don't mind me asking? Did you also had a DO letter? A friend of mine is applying this cycle too but he only has an MD letter so I don't know if that's going to be an issue?

What was your stats like if you don't mind me asking? Did you also had a DO letter? A friend of mine is applying this cycle too but he only has an MD letter so I don't know if that's going to be an issue?

My GPA was 3.82, 502 MCAT and I personally only had an MD letter and got my secondary turned in October, interviewed and accepted in January.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey fellow C/O 2020-ers! I just emailed the school about our white coat ceremony and it looks like it will be October 9th. Let your family know if they are planning on attending!

Hey fellow C/O 2020-ers! I just emailed the school about our white coat ceremony and it looks like it will be October 9th. Let your family know if they are planning on attending!
Soooooo jealous of you guys!!! Best of luck!

PM'd!

Members don't see this ad :)

Just Realized this was the 2016-2017 thread.... My bad! Best of luck to all applicants!

Hi Applicants for the Class of 2021!! I will be a rising OMS-3 at ACOM this summer. Should any of you have any questions about the school or application process, just shoot me a PM or tag me here in the post. I check in rather frequently and I will be glad to help any of you out!

Good Luck!

Reactions: 4 users
Wrong forum.

"I'm gonna have to level with you T.R, this conversation is going to break my heart wide open."

Right forum, just wrong thread. He's looking for the 2016-2017 thread.

"I'm TINY RICK!"

I love your avatar. One of my favorite episodes.

Edit: major fail on my part. Pretty sure it's the right place for him.

"I'm gonna have to level with you T.R, this conversation is going to break my heart wide open."

Right forum, just wrong thread. He's looking for the 2016-2017 thread.

"I'm TINY RICK!"

I love your avatar. One of my favorite episodes.

Edit: major fail on my part. Pretty sure it's the right place for him.

I wasn't referring to endorphins, I accidentily posted in the wrong thread/forum as well!

Haha yeah! That episode was hilarious. Can't wait for season 3!

Just submitted for this school. Does anyone happen to have last years secondary?

I would like to start pre-writing them.

Just submitted for this school. Does anyone happen to have last years secondary?

I would like to start pre-writing them.

Hey guys! I went through this process last year, and I'm excited to say that I'll be starting at ACOM this July. I'm here to answer any questions. Here are last year's questions:

• What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful Osteopathic physician?
  • What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an Osteopathic physician?
There is also a technical standards form you must sign (90% sure on this)

Good luck!!!!!

Going to be applying here. Any other places you would recommend for my stats. Going to be retaking my MCAT in August wanting around 504

But for now:

Overall GPA: 3.48
SGPA: 3.39
Masters GPA: 4.0 in Biomedical Sciences
NonScience: 3.85

MCAT:
1st attempt: 18 (yes i know it sucks, but I was an idiot and did not study)
2nd attempt: 496 (yes i know still sucks that is why i am retaking)

Thank you :)

When do secondaries go out?

The last interview was May 23.

Currently waitlisted, but I've applied again since I know I didn't do so well in the interview. Good Luck everyone!

Reapplicant as well and waitlisted at the moment. I applied very late last year due to limited funds and hoping early application submittal will help.

Last edited:
Hi! Also planning to resubmit soon also. Was waitlisted last year and still hoping to maybe hear something up until school starts! Good luck to everyone!

For those waitlisted to this school, do you mind sharing your stats?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I just got a secondary email but I don't have my MCAT scores yet. Does anyone know how I received a secondary without a MCAT score?

I just got a secondary email but I don't have my MCAT scores yet. Does anyone know how I received a secondary without a MCAT score?

Secondary received as well.

I believe they don't review your application until they receive everything, including secondary, MCAT score, etc.

Would you guys mind posting the prompt?
STEP 1. ESSAY QUESTIONS: Before starting your supplemental application, you should respond to the following questions in essay style. Your response should be no longer than one page for each question. Save both essays as a single PDF file with your name and AACOMAS ID typed at the top of all pages. You will be prompted to upload this file as part of the Supplemental Application process so the file should be ready to prevent the session from timing out on you.

a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

b. What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using SDN mobile

STEP 1. ESSAY QUESTIONS: Before starting your supplemental application, you should respond to the following questions in essay style. Your response should be no longer than one page for each question. Save both essays as a single PDF file with your name and AACOMAS ID typed at the top of all pages. You will be prompted to upload this file as part of the Supplemental Application process so the file should be ready to prevent the session from timing out on you.

a. What personal qualities do you possess that will make you a successful osteopathic physician?

b. What life experiences and people have inspired you to become an osteopathic physician?

You da MVP! Thanks!

+1 Secondary received
If your link to get into the seconary app working? Mine takes me to a login screen that says, "we are not accepting secondary applications at this time." Or something along those lines. The page also prompts me for login information but the email didn't get any username of password to enter.

Their website says they screen the primaries so what do they screen for if they give out secondaries without MCAT?

Did your link to the secondary work? Mine took me to a screen stating, "We are no longer accepting supplemental applications at this time," But if I hit the "inquire" button under the home tab it takes me to a screen to fill out personal info...I still dont see a button to upload secondaries....What did your screen look like when u clicked the link?

If your link to get into the seconary app working? Mine takes me to a login screen that says, "we are not accepting secondary applications at this time." Or something along those lines. The page also prompts me for login information but the email didn't get any username of password to enter.
Yeah just noticed that they are not accepting the secondary yet.

Secondary! My MCAT isn't in the system yet either.
Is your link working?? Mine is taking me to some random page that says they arent accepting supplemental applications....

Is your link to the secondary app working??

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile
I called the school and she assured me it should be back up today. She took down my email and would let me know when it was ready, and I will post what she says.

Side note, do you guys think "no more than a page" for each essay is single or double spaced? Because one page single space is actually a lot :(

@Alienman52 If it's possible, I think you might actually stalk this site even more than I do.

I called the school and she assured me it should be back up today. She took down my email and would let me know when it was ready, and I will post what she says.

Side note, do you guys think "no more than a page" for each essay is single or double spaced? Because one page single space is actually a lot :(
Hard to say...most essays are single spaced, though. I'm not sweating maximums or trying to reach that number. My writing tends to get a point where I recognize if I try to force anything else it will make the essay worse.

I believe it's a 500 word limit for each prompt.

Just received an email from admissions
"I apologize for the problem with the supplemental application process. There is a small technical issue we are currently resolving. The link should be active within the hour.
Thank you for your interest in ACOM."

So don't worry people :)

Also I like how this school is quick when a problem arises.