Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM) Discussion Thread 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, thanks for the heartfelt replies and good feels <3

Tonight is our night man, I'm holding us both accountable! If you're not in bed by midnight (at the latest), I WILL find you ;)

Yea It suck to feel like only external circumstances can get me up in the mornings -.- Feeling that lack of intrinsic motivation.
Keeping myself in the gym will keep me the most amount of sane, I feel like I need to go throw some weights around to keep me focused on the moment and away from thoughts. I'm glad that you found the time, gives me hope :)

Oh yea I forgot that there were other non trads like myself that havn't been in a classroom in a while! Gosh thanks for the help, sometimes I do feel like I gotta stay competitive with my classmates with the grading system (as to compared to a pass/no pass system).

Just remember this. You are not your classmates. You are skilled in some area and particular way that they are not. There will be those who breeze through things you struggle with and those who struggle through things you easily can ace. You are not in competition with them for anything other than class rank and that is not a huge determinant for much. You will be much more successful if you just figure out you and help those around you who are struggling. If you are the one that is struggling, ask for help. If you drown at ACOM it is because you didn't grab the 50 ropes that were thrown to you.
Figure out balance. You can't be a med student 100% of the time. The ones who never leave start to see their grades drop because they never rest. Don't be that person. Med school is tough but it doesn't have to be miserable. Let yourself have some time to enjoy the moment and DON'T compare yourself to anyone else. It's tempting but don't do it.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
Has anyone received their apartment assignments? And when will they be sent out? Also is that first year schedule that was posted accurate? In anatomy they begin with back, spinal cord and upper limb. Thank you and looking forward to meeting all of you in a few weeks.

Has anyone received their apartment assignments? And when will they be sent out? Also is that first year schedule that was posted accurate? In anatomy they begin with back, spinal cord and upper limb. Thank you and looking forward to meeting all of you in a few weeks.

You'll probably get your apartment assignment some time this week or next. You can email Brittney.

The first year schedule posted was probably from last year as an example of what to expect, but this year's is probably really similar. So far, anatomy lab has started off with the back/spine and upper limb.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just remember this. You are not your classmates. You are skilled in some area and particular way that they are not. There will be those who breeze through things you struggle with and those who struggle through things you easily can ace. You are not in competition with them for anything other than class rank and that is not a huge determinant for much. You will be much more successful if you just figure out you and help those around you who are struggling. If you are the one that is struggling, ask for help. If you drown at ACOM it is because you didn't grab the 50 ropes that were thrown to you.
Figure out balance. You can't be a med student 100% of the time. The ones who never leave start to see their grades drop because they never rest. Don't be that person. Med school is tough but it doesn't have to be miserable. Let yourself have some time to enjoy the moment and DON'T compare yourself to anyone else. It's tempting but don't do it.

Not going to ACOM but this is such solid advice! Should make a post with it.

Reactions: 1 users

I got my apartment assignment in the mail today!

Reactions: 3 users
random question but i heard someone talking about a Meal Plan Delivery service during my interview. is this a real thing i'm dothan? i know they have a plethora of these down where I live but i wasn't sure about them in dothan. can anyone shed light on this?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

For anyone that didn't see on the facebook page or in their email, we have been given our first assignment due on the 30th. The email seems to be going to everyone's spam folder so make sure to check that!

Reactions: 1 users
Withdrew on Monday. Best of luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Is anyone going to the poolside reception next Saturday? It's not mandatory right?

Is anyone going to the poolside reception next Saturday? It's not mandatory right?

I think there are actually quite a few people going. I will probably be going in my own vehicle since my husband will be joining me.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second year here, I know of someone that withdrew their seat Saturday so at least one more acceptance going out soon!

Second year here, I know of someone that withdrew their seat Saturday so at least one more acceptance going out soon!
I know someone who was accepted Saturday so I'm assuming that was why!

Question for current students: What's a typical weekend schedule like in terms of free time?

As free as you want it to be if you don't have a test the upcoming Monday or Tuesday. Also depends on your study preferences. Do you prefer to study several hours a day during the weekday so you can have your weekends free? Or do you prefer to not study much during the weekdays and study for majority of the day on the weekends?

Question for current students: What's a typical weekend schedule like in terms of free time?

Personally I take off 24 hours starting Friday night at dinner until Saturday night after dinner. It lets me watch college football, unwind, and just generally stay sane. Some of my classmates use the weekends to catch up. Most people take atleast one afternoon/night off a week here from what I can tell.

During a typical week is there one day lighter class-wise? Like is Friday a day where you get out earlier or are all days the same?

Whoops meant to post this on the newest thread but If anyone would like to answer from here please do!

During a typical week is there one day lighter class-wise? Like is Friday a day where you get out earlier or are all days the same?

Whoops meant to post this on the newest thread but If anyone would like to answer from here please do!

Fridays tend to be lighter on most weeks

Every day, week, and block varies. Some weeks you'll have an earlier day or two. For a few of the blocks, you may have a full day to yourself if it's just designated student assignments and if you don't have SIM/PCS scheduled for that day.

hey if anybody on here who was waitisted here AND got off of the waitlist doesnt mind messaging me as i have a couple questions i would appreciate it thanks

Anyone know if the attendance policy will change for the upcoming 2019 academic year? I'm just curious. Thanks!