Advised to list MCAT and step 2 on CV which will be sent to letter writers, should I?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MDapplicant578124

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
TLDR is I am a good standardized tester and scored a 527 on the MCAT and in the 270's on step 2. Advisor said those are great achievements that I should list to make my letter writers aware of my academic ability if they care. I'm feeling like it comes off like I'm trying to brag and not sure if I want to go through with it. I guess at the end of the day the point of a CV is to show off your achievements and listing 20 pubs or an academic award would be "bragging" too. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Yes to the step 2 score, probably would not list MCAT. Obviously this should not stay on your CV after this application

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed. Step 2 yes.

MCAT seems a bit much. The whole point of that test was to show you had the chops for med school, which you clearly did.

The steps show your mastery of medical school knowledge. You can drop the scores from the CV after residency and just indicate that you’ve passed them all and list your licenses.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Great I'll go with step 2 but not MCAT, thank you both!

Reactions: 1 user
TLDR is I am a good standardized tester and scored a 527 on the MCAT and in the 270's on step 2. Advisor said those are great achievements that I should list to make my letter writers aware of my academic ability if they care. I'm feeling like it comes off like I'm trying to brag and not sure if I want to go through with it. I guess at the end of the day the point of a CV is to show off your achievements and listing 20 pubs or an academic award would be "bragging" too. Thoughts?
I wouldn’t. It’s pointless. Letter writers shouldn’t comment on your test taking skills. They should talk about your clinical skills instead.

Reactions: 1 users
I added by my STEP 1 score and estimated percentile for my letter writers. I think it helped.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
I sent em my APGAR score just to make sure that they made the letter extra strong

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users
I sent em my APGAR score just to make sure that they made the letter extra strong
And it was the 15 seconds one to stress that I was a 10/10 already at 15 seconds. Shows resilience and adaptability…

• Haha
tbh I don't think it matters, just point the score under where u listed college. It's not a big deal it's one line, you dont line to bold it draw atttention or anything ...

I have classmates who’ve left 524s etc. on their Linkedin profiles, but I don’t really think it will make a difference either way (if you leave it on or off)

You can put scores on your CV if they are directly applicable to whatever you're applying for. So, Step 2 would be OK for residency applications. That's a great MCAT score, but that's in the remote past at this point.

After you match, Step 2 score comes off the CV, as does, in my opinion, pretty much everything you did in med school. If you published in the Lancet or something, that can stay on, but honestly, much of med school CVs are fluff.

The whole point of a LOR is for the letter writer to tell me about their experiences with you. When I write one for a student, I specifically tell them I don't want their CV. There is no point to repeating what's on your CV -- it will be in your application. Including exam scores of any type in an LOR is pointless.

• Love