Accidentally sent inappropriate email to program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think this is a fair analogy. The activity I was involved in is very hard to pull away from unless someone finds you. The only issue this time around was that because of construction, the activity was taking place in a different area than expected

Email written but by “God” somehow got sent
Not answering their email
Not accepting their meeting invite
Contact info not given
Didn’t have phone on you
Pager didn’t work
Overhead page couldn’t be heard
Not in usual place cos of construction

Series of BAD decisions, followed by lies and even worse “justifications”.

Soon it’ll be, nurse laid out meds incorrectly on cart, handed me X when I asked for Y, and I didn’t check label.
I told nurse 5 mg but they gave 50,
I told pt A but they heard B

Either the whole universe is conspiring against you, OR you have to realise the complete insanity/stupidity/absurdity of the decisions you made 🤦‍♂️

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
IF this is true you are basically screwed. People get fired for literally nothing if they manage to piss off the right people in program leadership. You can either buck up and address this or you can look forward to being fired on day 46 of your PGY 2 year. Sorry, but you're not going to get any sympathy from anyone here. Welcome to life, it's not fair and you made a really dumb mistake/decison, made it exponentially worse by lying and then trying to shift the blame away from only you. Intern of the year at TY or pre lim program isn't an accomplishment by the way. Glad you're not coming to my program

Doesn't respecting interns and recognizing their accomplishments lead to successful seniors?

Unfortunately, this is exactly what we told you several days ago. Ignoring their request was simply going to escalate the problem further.

I hinted at this earlier, but now I'll be more direct: You're being self-sabotaging. It's obvious to all of us -- that's why people are suggesting you're a troll -- that there's no way that someone would be this clueless and make these bad decisions.

You need professional help. This is a very serious issue.

I agree at this point you need to be honest with your current program. Although it wasn't your intention, ignoring their email now has wasted a bunch of your program's admin effort and time to deal with this. Your program is probably assuming that something much worse than the truth is going on.

But most importantly, you need to be honest with yourself. And it's clear you can't do that without help.

• Love
Reactions: 11 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Doesn't respecting interns and recognizing their accomplishments lead to successful seniors?
Maybe, if you get that far.
You really need to take some time and figure out what your end goal is. Is it to go to the advanced program and complete your medical education or is it to continue the behavior you have displayed over the last weeks or months. You need to know what you are going to say at your meeting and how you intend to answer questions about your email and the contents of your email. (I’m not sure how you know so much about this program that you can call it “the worst place on the planet”.)
I do think you should talk to your PD and explain what is going on. Of course it’s your right not to tell the PD what is happening but they just might have a suggestion of how you should proceed. And remember you ranked this program and unfortunately that’s where your number landed. It’s time to take responsibility for this whole mess starting way back in Jan/Feb when you ranked this place at all. For every issue you have listed you have a reason why it isn’t your fault. And as bad or strange or unprofessional many of your posts/behaviors are, I have to say the one that bothers me the most is your no response to the invite to the meeting. We have a policy that calls and e-mails are to be answered by the end of the day or at the very latest within 24 hours. To have a Program Administrator sit waiting on a phone for 30+ minutes because you didn’t respond to their request is bad form(imo).

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 4 users
I was able to find an explanation for the rest of this thread. This quote I have a hard time any intern actually believes or expects. Especially not an intern on the verge of being fired.

Reactions: 1 users
I was able to find an explanation for the rest of this thread. This quote I have a hard time any intern actually believes or expects. Especially not an intern on the verge of being fired.
Like I said, I like my prelim program. I've been treated well, and I've done well according to their terms. I'm not sure what your getting at here: should us interns be all treated lousy?

The Rock says...

ADEB380B-16BB-4070-A307-6112309EF6C4.gif

Big Hoss

Like I said, I like my prelim program. I've been treated well, and I've done well according to their terms. I'm not sure what your getting at here: should us interns be all treated lousy?
They shouldn’t be. But historically interns are made to prove themselves and start out not being so entitled.

They shouldn’t be. But historically interns are made to prove themselves and start out not being so entitled.
Seems like an atmosphere ripe for abuse. Glad times are changing. Work hour restrictions, unionization etc. I can easily say that I've been given the resources to succeed, hence I've been able do a good job this year.

Seems like an atmosphere ripe for abuse. Glad times are changing. Work hour restrictions, unionization etc. I can easily say that I've been given the resources to succeed, hence I've been able do a good job this year.
you say this yet have been given numerous replies in this thread that you seemingly have ignored? Do you only use resources that seem to tell you the response you are looking for and not what should be done?

Reactions: 1 user

I assume you haven't treated your prelim program like some gum stuck to your shoe?

You mentioned respect above. Respect is a two way street. Even ignoring the "accidental" e-mail, you have yet to show your future program even a modicum of respect. You didn't even bother to provide them your contact information when requested after you matched there. You lied to them after the e-mail. They sent you an e-mail asking for a meeting to clarify things and you ignored it. If you have any desire to be a senior with your future program you need to follow the advice in this thread, and admit your mistakes. Show them respect regardless of whatever personal biases you have because that's what a professional person does. You signed a contract to work there when you ranked them. Respect that.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
As a teaching moment for this Old Fart, what clinical venues would require a resident to NOT have their phone with them?
Doing a bedside sterile procedure with no assistance is an example. You're not going to deglove every time your phone buzzes. Ideally, someone else is holding the pager during that process. But it's a basic tenant of residency that you are always available by phone/pager or that your team knows exactly where you are at all times. Residents get fired for not following this.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can we stop falling for the troll job. They ignore 90% of the overarching advice listed over multiple pages, and only respond to very specific snippets that lend themselves to responses that are only good to further rile the crowd up.

Last edited:
Doing a bedside sterile procedure with no assistance is an example. You're not going to deglove every time your phone buzzes. Ideally, someone else is holding the pager during that process. But it's a basic tenant of residency that you are always available by phone/pager or that your team knows exactly where you are at all times. Residents get fired for not following this.
My work phone was available. My personal wasn't. All of these calls/messages sent to my personal phone. Sorry if that wasn't clear.

If you are not at troll, all you are is full of excuses. Grow up. Stop making excuse after excuse after excuse. Take responsibility for your actions as every single one of them has been not only wrong but 100% your fault.

If you continue on this pathway you will have way more than 1 year to reflect on what you did wrong. I find it really hard to believe that someone who graduated medical school can be this profoundly full of poor judgement.

• Love
I don't think this is a fair analogy. The activity I was involved in is very hard to pull away from unless someone finds you. The only issue this time around was that because of construction, the activity was taking place in a different area than expected
Holy cow the blame shifting is next level and I’ve never seen anything like it. Is it even possible for you to admit that you made a mistake? Just once, see that something along the way was your mistake? This is really the first step in rehabbing your reputation and stepping forward. You keep claiming you’re not a troll, but it’s becoming harder and harder to believe. If this truly is a real situation, listen to the advice that everyone has offered! Seek help! Seek guidance! Believe it or not, the universe isn’t out to get you.

• Love
Having new employees start out with their heads down, and working hard and trying to prove themselves rather than stir the pot is the same as an atmosphere ripe for abuse? I’d guess any new job that’s the norm. Even new managers/CMOs etc start in their role extra polite and do more listening than talking until they learn the culture and get a good handle on things before they start with bigger moves or having high expectations.

I don't see respect as having something to be earned but rather as something to be lost.

I start off giving everyone the absolute utmost respect in whatever position they are: Resident director, resident, student, patient, etc.

If they start to do things like the OP has done, then I would lose respect for very logical reasons.

• Love
Please do not invoke 2020... although the chain of described happenings is soooo 2020...

You should make it past intern year (and past day 46 of your PGY 2 year ;) ) before making any assumptions on what makes a successful senior resident

• Haha
You really need to have a heart-to-heart with your current PD; if s/he can vouch for your integrity and stellar performance as an intern it might save you.

To put things a different way for you OP: IMHO you are already in the "fire for cause" zone with your advanced program. You probably didn't start there (and could have mollified the situation), but with your repeated deflecting you've moved yourself solidly into that range. Now that it's becoming your prelim program's problem, you're in danger there too.

It's crazy to me that you can't see how close you are to having no career in medicine.

You really need to have a heart-to-heart with your current PD; if s/he can vouch for your integrity and stellar performance as an intern it might save you.
Probably the best practical advice the OP could follow right now. In addition to what's been already repeated re: being honest.

Still, assuming OP is genuine and not a troll, I think in addition to the advice above, it's important to do some deep introspection and ask yourself (OP) if you really want to be a physician. I just can't imagine any (real) budding med student/resident taking that many horribly wrong turns and ignoring the advice of so many others, and there not being something deeper going on. Professional help, friend/family, priest/pastor, trusted mentor--it really doesn't matter right now. Just talk to someone who can help you sort this stuff out.

I've decided to take everyone's advice. I'm going to be meeting with my PD/APD today to let them in on the situation and see what they would recommend doing forward. I also reached out to an old mentor at my medical school to hear from them. As frustrated as I am, I don't think this is worth jeopardizing my career over.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
I've decided to take everyone's advice. I'm going to be meeting with my PD/APD today to let them in on the situation and see what they would recommend doing forward. I also reached out to an old mentor at my medical school to hear from them. As frustrated as I am, I don't think this is worth jeopardizing my career over.

That's a good start. I'd recommend not hitting them with both barrels about how you feel about your advanced program. That would be a really bad look for you to dwell on that. Focus on what you can do moving forward, not what is already done.

Side note, who/what are you so frustrated with? Your advanced program has done nothing but offer you a chance to become a board certified physician in your area of interest and you've **** all over them every chance you've gotten. The alternative was likely not matching at all and being in an unarguably worse position. If you weren't desired by a program higher up your rank list, that's a 'you' problem. You weren't good enough on paper or were a weird interview. You should be so grateful that your advanced program is the one giving you a chance.

Honestly, zero other people involved in your situation (your advanced program, your current prelim program) give a **** if you're happy with your match result. All they need/require from you at baseline is a certain level of professionalism and for you to do your job. Happy or not, you shouldn't be letting your unhappiness/frustration bleed into your job standing. People absolutely get fired for toxic behavior/being malcontent at work.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 5 users
That's a good start. I'd recommend not hitting them with both barrels about how you feel about your advanced program. That would be a really bad look for you to dwell on that. Focus on what you can do moving forward, not what is already done.

Side note, who/what are you so frustrated with? Your advanced program has done nothing but offer you a chance to become a board certified physician in your area of interest and you've **** all over them every chance you've gotten. The alternative was likely not matching at all and being in an unarguably worse position. If you weren't desired by a program higher up your rank list, that's a 'you' problem. You weren't good enough on paper or were a weird interview. You should be so grateful that your advanced program is the one giving you a chance.

Honestly, zero other people involved in your situation (your advanced program, your current prelim program) give a **** if you're happy with your match result. All they need/require from you at baseline is a certain level of professionalism and for you to do your job. Happy or not, you shouldn't be letting your unhappiness/frustration bleed into your job standing. People absolutely get fired for toxic behavior/being malcontent at work.

Like I said, I'm willing to try and save face. I guess I was mad at a variety of different people/places.

Being mad is a normal reaction. I have friends who had to start anti-depressants because of the match.

I know no one really cares about residents happiness. Up to this point, I've been very professional. We all make mistakes (which I take responsibility for now).

You could say there's a problem with the system. The match eliminates any sort of competition between programs and hurts applicants.

Edit: There's so many factors out of an applicants control during the match. So it's not fair to say it's you weren't good enough situation.

• Dislike
You could say there's a problem with the system. The match eliminates any sort of competition between programs and hurts applicants.

Go watch Bryan Carmody’s 6 part series on The Match. You will change your tune big time

• Love
Edit: There's so many factors out of an applicants control during the match. So it's not fair to say it's you weren't good enough situation.
The match gives applicants more control than any other viable system you could come up with.

Reactions: 8 users
Like I said, I'm willing to try and save face. I guess I was mad at a variety of different people/places.

Being mad is a normal reaction. I have friends who had to start anti-depressants because of the match.

I know no one really cares about residents happiness. Up to this point, I've been very professional. We all make mistakes (which I take responsibility for now).

look I did not match to my first pick for fellowship, and it sucks but what you need to know is:

1. every program that you ranked before the one you matched had a 100% chance to have you-- if they wanted
2. every program that you ranked before the one you matched did not want you at all or at best wanted others before you
3. the program in which you matched wanted you
4. you slapped the only program that wanted you in the face
5. when the only program that wanted you reached out to see why you slapped them you lied and hid
6. you can blame the match in your head, but you need to read 1-5 over and over.

it sucks but you need to understand this
fyi I went into my fellowship with an open mind, and it turns out it was exactly where I need to be and if I could go back in time, I would rank it 1.

• Love
Reactions: 7 users

To start, I just wanna say that I really do want this to work out for you, despite my extensive clowning. But in what way does no one care about resident happiness? Malignant programs will probably always exist in some form or another, but in the last few decades, many grossly exploitive/dangerous residency practices have been explicitly disallowed. If this is specifically in reference to the match, the algorithm clearly advantages the applicant. I don't see how that would qualify as being against residents' happiness.

This overall just feels like more excuse making and a lack of willingness to take full responsibility. You need to really own these mistakes. internet strangers' input isn't cutting it. I hope your mentor and PD can help you come to a healthier, more productive frame of mind on this.

• Love
The match gives applicants more control than any other viable system you could come up with.
look I did not match to my first pick for fellowship, and it sucks but what you need to know is:

1. every program that you ranked before the one you matched had a 100% chance to have you-- if they wanted
2. every program that you ranked before the one you matched did not want you at all or at best wanted others before you
3. the program in which you matched wanted you
4. you slapped the only program that wanted you in the face
5. when the only program that wanted you reached out to see why you slapped them you lied and hid
6. you can blame the match in your head, but you need to read 1-5 over and over.

it sucks but you need to understand this
fyi I went into my fellowship with an open mind, and it turns out it was exactly where I need to be and if I could go back in time, I would rank it 1.
The problem is when you have huge batches of candidates that are interchangeable. A lot times, it just comes down to silly things when ranking people. I've actually talked to people about this very thing.

• Okay...

Actually the match provides the most control out any system. Real talk, the places higher on your list didn’t want you or wanted others more. Regardless of system you were NEVER going to work there… the match was your best chance and it didn’t work out.

Welcome to real life.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
As others, I'm glad you've decided to try to address the situation. But your framing isn't correct. You mention that "I don't think this is worth jeopardizing my career over". The actual situation is that your career is already in severe jeopardy. The best way to frame this for yourself is that "the program has already decided to fire you, so what do I need to do to change their mind?". If you had addressed this earlier in this mess, you could have simply apologized and explained the situation and it would have likely been OK. But now you've created a real problem you need to fix.

If you're honest with your current PD, I expect they will tell you the same.

You need to prepare for this meeting in January. This is not something to just "wing it". They are going to ask you very direct questions and you need to be ready to answer them honestly. The best way to do that is to practice.

I could easily imagine a program interpreting the behavior after you sent the email as this: "When opworueury makes a serious error, they decide to lie or bury the problem to make it go away. What's going to happen if they make an error in patient care?" It's a very valid question. You might say/think that you'd never do something similar if patients were involved -- but I expect you'd probably have said the same thing about this situation before it developed. The initial email is no longer the major crisis here -- it's the lying, avoidance behavior, and lack of respect you've demonstrated.

• Love
Reactions: 12 users
I agree as frustrating as the Match is for some, it's the best solution out there.

I wanted to be an architect for a long time. They have do to a similar internship/apprenticeship under a licensed architect like we do under licensed physicians. But they have no Match, so it's a dog-eat-dog, every-man for themselves situation to try and find that internship, and most are miserable because of the competition. Even the competitive applicants dislike it--imagine you get an interview at a great, but not your top choice, program, and they offer you the job. But they only give you two weeks to accept it, and you don't interview at your top choice until a month or two later.

I get it can result in frustrating results for some (who likely would've been disappointed more with the old sytem) but the Match really is a huge blessing for us. I am certainly thankful for it.

You are still blaming others. Now you are blaming the match itself. I truly feel, there is no hope here if you refuse to take 100% responsibility for what had occurred. Because I guarantee you, if you matched into your #1 choice or even the program just above this one, you would have praised the algorithm. But no. This program matched you because everyone else above them either said no to you or filled before getting to you.

This sounds like a prediction of things to come in your future as a physician: saying or sendings things before thinking —>not taking responsibility —>making excuses —>and not addressing them appropriately.

You need to reflect and come up with a plan to change things or you are in for a rude awakening.

• Love
You are still blaming others. Now you are blaming the match itself. I truly feel, there is no hope here if you refuse to take 100% responsibility for what had occurred. Because I guarantee you, if you matched into your #1 choice or even the program just above this one, you would have praised the algorithm. But no. This program matched you because everyone else above them either said no to you or filled before getting to you.

This sounds like a prediction of things to come in your future as a physician: saying or sendings things before thinking —>not taking responsibility —>making excuses —>and not addressing them appropriately.

You need to reflect and come up with a plan to change things or you are in for a rude awakening.
Indeed, being unteachable is a reason I've seen residents get fired over.

Thank you to all that have been responding.

Just an update. Like I mentioned earlier, I ended up telling my PD (and an attending I'm close with) everything that happened. They was pretty surprised I would get involved in a situation like this, but they are both glad that I came clean and explained everything as the other day was a fiasco. I showed them the email. They understand why I was frustrated, but recognize this was not the right approach. The attending I'm close with even made a joke that he would upset too if he had to go to my advanced program, but "you just can't do that." They said even with this, they believe that I have a potential to be such a great physican, and they want to do what they can to help.

After much deliberation, I gave them
verbal permission to talk to my advanced program to try to put in a good word for me . The condition for this was that I was not present for the phone call and they could
take some time verify where I was with the chiefs on the day everything that happened. The last I heard from the PC, they got a hold of them late. Despite the holiday, they will personally contact me tomorrow to let me know what happened and we'll go from there.

I also fell down my list during residency match day. I was grateful for the match but also hesitant of going there. I've since finished residency and would say that I would 100% rank them #1 even if mass general offered me a spot. I've heard multiple people with similar stories

I sincerely think this is a troll post. Nobody "accidentally" sends to their program that e-mail. Nobody gets all the advice they did here and then email saying "got hacked yo!" and proceeds to ignore a meeting. In the 0.0001% chance this is real, this dude should be dismissed. The only chance this guy has to not be fired would be to come out entirely clean and beg for forgiveness. Even then, they should expect to get all the scut work and be on call every other day and never take a single vacation

Just an update. Like I mentioned earlier, I ended up telling my PD (and an attending I'm close with) everything that happened. They was pretty surprised I would get involved in a situation like this, but they are both glad that I came clean and explained everything as the other day was a fiasco. I showed them the email. They understand why I was frustrated, but recognize this was not the right approach. The attending I'm close with even made a joke that he would upset too if he had to go to my advanced program, but "you just can't do that." They said even with this, they believe that I have a potential to be such a great physican, and they want to do what they can to help.

verbal permission to talk to my advanced program to try to put in a good word for me . The condition for this was that I was not present for the phone call and they could
take some time verify where I was with the chiefs on the day everything that happened. The last I heard from the PC, they got a hold of them late. Despite the holiday, they will personally contact me tomorrow to let me know what happened and we'll go from there.
As you said, having negative reactions is a human mistake that can happen. Where you went astray is when you started lying to try and cover up your mistake and ignoring attempts to help you. Im hopeful that this was step 1 for you to walk this back and be able to move forward. You gotta keep approaching this in as honest and forthright way possible.

Good luck

Reactions: 9 users

Good luck. But I don't quite think you are getting it.

1) Stop being mad at this program. They did not "poach you". You were rejected by places higher on your list for reasons fair or unfair. Your advanced program is your only shot right now at being a doctor in your specialty, why are you treating it like garbage?

2) Its lovely you got to commiserate with your medicine dads and they agrees with you that your advanced program sucks, but they are not the ones who are going to make you a doctor. You seem more worried about impressing your TY PD than your advance program! They need you to take call for 6 more months and you are out. Who gives a **** what they think? You need to prepare, ASAP, to talk to your advanced program director and make nice. You need to assure them you are going to show up for work and be a good resident. That is all.

You don't need to make this complicated. "I was very hurt that this place I did a sub-I at did not take me, and a lot of my plans hinged on this and I was having a rough time being away from family during the holiday. I am very grateful to be at your program, and I actually like XYZ about it..." That is pretty much all you can do to put this fire out. At least the part about insulting them.

• Love
Reactions: 10 users

You’re exhausting. Very hard to root for you, others are trying to be nice and not lay into you for being a whiny intern. YOU did this to yourself and you’re either a hardcore troll (if so seriously bravo ) or someone who needs a reality check. “Such a great physician” “personally contact me”, spare me

I hope everything works out.

I hope everything works out.
Thanks. PD didn't really tell me much about the contents of the phone call with advance. All my current PD told me the conversation concluded with my advanced program PD wants to talk to me over the phone personally before the new year and before the original meeting was suppose to take place. The circus just keeps on expanding here I barely believe what's happened. Not sure what that means, hopefully that's not a bad sign. I hope they advocated for me during the PD-PD phone call, was hoping for more insider info on what's going through their head.

These days remind me how much of a waste all my effort in med school was

Last edited:
Thanks. PD didn't really tell me much about the contents of the phone call with advance. All my current PD told me the conversation concluded with my advanced program PD wants to talk to me over the phone personally before the new year and before the original meeting was suppose to take place. The circus just keeps on expanding here I barely believe what's happened. Not sure what that means, hopefully that's not a bad sign. I hope they advocated for me during the PD-PD phone call, was hoping for more insider info on what's going through their head.

These days remind me how much of a waste all my effort in med school was
The circus isn’t getting any bigger. You remain the ringleader of this one man s***show. And we’ve all bought tickets to the end so keep the acts coming…

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Status
Not open for further replies.