Which of these programs should I signal to?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

User1802

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi. Apparently a very important part of application is choosing appropriate programs to signal which might improve chances of matching immensely. We have 7 signals, and my strategy was to choose 3 or 4 programs that are relatively around my league and 2 or 3 programs above my league, but still approachable.

My stats: YOG:2021, Steps 237/250, 2 months USCE (2 US LOR, 1 elective, 1 externship), no research, 2.5 years of active patient care as a GP in a busy urban hospital, visa requiring.

The thing is, it's pretty difficult to choose which programs are above my league BUT still worth signaling. Considering my lack of research and clinical heavy work experience, I'm especially interested in places such as Cook county, Albert Einstein Philly, Allegheny, Medstar Washington or Baltimore.

Is signaling two or three of these places worth it, or my scores (esp. step1) would be considered too low despite signaling? Or should go full YOLO and signal all of these programs???
Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.