A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for the reply postbac87! My endorsement was reneged because of a change in CHC directors. But even without the endorsement, do you think I have a good chance?

Can't you get an endorsement from anyone on the faculty at the CHC?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there any dress code for classes, OMM, or while at school?

Is there any dress code for classes, OMM, or while at school?

Business casual for general lecture.

Shorts and t-shirt for OMM and Medical Skills (held on the same day). Women need a sports bra, because you will be required to remove your shirt for some OMM activities and for some parts of medical skills.

Reactions: 1 user
Any first years that know of a rental home with a yard under $1000 a month please let me know! My boyfriend and two large dogs will be moving with me! We have a boxer (80lbs) and a pit bull mix (50lbs) and we've been noticing some breed and size restrictions! We are open to condo or apartments as well, however we really would like a fenced in area for the dogs to exercise off leash. Any advice on where to look or properties you know of would be awesome! :) thanks!

I'm from Ohio and I received an acceptance call Wednesday afternoon!! After receiving an e-mail and following the link to enter my ranking of CHCs, the class is still full so basically we're just waiting for others to drop out of their spots... :/
Congrats! What were your stats if you don't mind me asking?

Any first years that know of a rental home with a yard under $1000 a month please let me know! My boyfriend and two large dogs will be moving with me! We have a boxer (80lbs) and a pit bull mix (50lbs) and we've been noticing some breed and size restrictions! We are open to condo or apartments as well, however we really would like a fenced in area for the dogs to exercise off leash. Any advice on where to look or properties you know of would be awesome! :) thanks!

My wife and I are in a similar situation. We have two dogs and two cats and one of our dogs is a pit mix so we are trying to find somewhere that wouldn't restrict us. We are going to take a trip down there in about a month to check things out.

Hey all. I interviewed in 3/28 at SOMA, I LOVE THE SCHOOL! I can't even tell you how much I want to attend there, and after interviewing/visiting at a few other schools ATSU-SOMA shined even more, for me...anyway. Does anyone know if the committee has met for 3/28 interview reviews yet, anyone heard anything by way of acceptances etc? Finally, I heard somewhere that if you get an interview, you have pretty much made the cut grade and MCAT wise, I know they will review everything to grant an acceptance, but does the committee mostly discuss your interview or do they go through everything again? Hopefully some good news will come soon, Love LOVE SOMA, good luck to everyone still waiting out there.

If I recall, if they invite you for an interview, they're pretty much OK with your grades. BUT, if you do have some sort of academic red flag on it, they'll probably ask you that during the interview and that would influence their decision. After all, you need to be able to convince them that you can pass the boards based on past academic history. I would assume they go over the whole package again, but they do take into consideration the interview, and how good of a fit you are at the school.

Here's my summary of events if interested -
interviewed 2/28
Committee met and discussed on 3/4, sent out admissions decisions on Tues/Wed of that week.
Apparently there was another committee meeting the following Tuesday discussing the other half of the group, sent out another batch of decisions Wed - Friday. From the 2/28 date, some people got the 'accept pending seat' call as early as 5 days, or a full 2 weeks after the interview date.

Its been ~ a month since acceptance, but I'm still waiting for a CHC. I know some people from that interview date who just got off the pending list, so there IS movement going on. Remember, after the second deposit deadline May 1st, if you get accepted, there's a good chance you'll get in this year.

Thanks for the info. I am starting to get a little bummed, I thought I did a good job on the interview. And I feel like I fit the mission of the school pretty well, I sincerely like to work in undeserved populations. That said, I did apply pretty late and I have no idea when to expect a notice. I've heard there are a lot of people moving because of the deposits coming up. Last minute drops etc...I am hoping SOMA likes me, because I couldn't get enough of the school. It's definitely where I want to be. Thanks for the timeline. I still have my fingers crossed.

Is anyone else interviewing this Friday on 4/18?

Anyone who interviewed on March 28 heard anything back?

Members don't see this ad :)
any recent acceptances from the 3/28 date? :poke:

also, has anyone from the 2/28 date gotten a CHC recently? starting to get nervous;;

I got an e-mail today.... rejected. :( Oh well, headed to KCOM this year!!

awww :(
congrats on KCOM though, at least you'll be able to stay in one state for four years!

looks like post-interview decisions are slowing down now too; also, previous years had an alternate list, seems like there isn't one for this year? :/

awww :(
congrats on KCOM though, at least you'll be able to stay in one state for four years!

looks like post-interview decisions are slowing down now too; also, previous years had an alternate list, seems like there isn't one for this year? :/
Good luck to you!

Just got an acceptance from the 4/18 interview date! Pending an open seat, but I am fine with 2015 deferment

I was reading through the catalog and noticed that preclinical grading for Class of 2017 was through a HON/Pass/Fail system while for Class of 2016, it was a numeric score. I'm guessing there was a change in grading guidelines. Can one of the current students clarify how grading will be for preclinical years?

Last edited:
Withdrew my acceptance here (with a heavy heart). A spot opened up for those waiting :) This school is very well run and the curriculum sounds great. Good luck to the rest who are waiting!

Update: as of now, there are approx 30-35 people on the 'pending open seat' list. (Apparently most of the ppl who withdraw lately are from the pending list instead of the actual class...)

It's disheartening, but I went down in terms of priority for most of the sites due to the new acceptances who have higher stats/ higher ranking than me :scared:

Let us pending accepts wait with bated breath now :xf:

Has anybody had any movement in terms of their chc site? I currently have a site that I really don't want to go to so I am curious as to when all of this movement that everybody talks about is supposed to happen.

I called and specifically deferred acceptance to 2015 as I had already signed a new lease where I live currently and didn't want to deal with the hassle of potentially being accepted, so I won't be part of the "pending" list. They told us at the interview to expect a lot of movement around May 1.

I called and specifically deferred acceptance to 2015 as I had already signed a new lease where I live currently and didn't want to deal with the hassle of potentially being accepted, so I won't be part of the "pending" list. They told us at the interview to expect a lot of movement around May 1.
I'm thinking of deferring. Did you have to sign anything or do anything specific?

I just called them and asked if it was a possibility. I was already on the list for pending acceptance. They said that people do it all the time since it's stressful to find living arrangements on such a short notice. I was told I would be class of 2019 and I wouldn't hear back until July when I was ranked for my CHC (which, let's be honest, we're basically guaranteed our #1 choice.)

Has anybody found an apartment or house rental that allows large breed dogs? The standard seems to be a 40 lb weight limit.

Has anybody found an apartment or house rental that allows large breed dogs? The standard seems to be a 40 lb weight limit.
Did you try calling all of the places on the list of schools ATSU provides?

Did you try calling all of the places on the list of schools ATSU provides?
Yeah I have called about twenty places that didn't specifically state the pet policy on their site. I have narrowed it down to about 8 places between Tempe and Chandler that don't have weight limits but only two of those don't have extensive breed restrictions and ridiculous pet fees.

Has anybody had any movement in terms of their chc site? I currently have a site that I really don't want to go to so I am curious as to when all of this movement that everybody talks about is supposed to happen.

Apparently on the class of 2018's facebook page, there has been few, if any movement in terms of switching CHCs for the month of April. (Yes its in no way official and is mostly self-reported, but it still gives you a general idea of whats going on). That's why quite a few people have been opting to defer to get their top choice CHC for next year, since at this point, it seems like you're stuck with a site you're currently at now. :(

Apparently on the class of 2018's facebook page, there has been few, if any movement in terms of switching CHCs for the month of April. (Yes its in no way official and is mostly self-reported, but it still gives you a general idea of whats going on). That's why quite a few people have been opting to defer to get their top choice CHC for next year, since at this point, it seems like you're stuck with a site you're currently at now. :(
Yeah I have been really considering deferring lately. As of now I am headed to the complete opposite side of the country that I want to be on. I'm hoping since the second deposit was due May 1st a lot of movement will occur in May. Plus most schools start taking people off the wait list in May so that will hopefully take a few people away from SOMA as well.

I deferred because I was pending an open seat. I don't know if you can defer just because you don't like your chc

Yeah I have been really considering deferring lately. As of now I am headed to the complete opposite side of the country that I want to be on. I'm hoping since the second deposit was due May 1st a lot of movement will occur in May. Plus most schools start taking people off the wait list in May so that will hopefully take a few people away from SOMA as well.
Yea if that's the reason why you are deferring they might not let you.

Oh sorry, my bad- I was very unclear when I switched my train of thought from CHC movement to the idea that it's not uncommon for pending accepts to defer because they're pretty much locked in to Ohio or SC at this point.

But I was also under the impression that currently accepted students could opt out for a year after talking to one of the student ambassadors; maybe I misinterpreted? :ninja:

In any case *rubs hands together* May 1st's here, lets hear some good news soon

Last edited:
Oh sorry, my bad- I was very unclear when I switched my train of thought from CHC movement to the idea that it's not uncommon for pending accepts to defer because they're pretty much locked in to Ohio or SC at this point.

But I was also under the impression that currently accepted students could opt out for a year after talking to one of the student ambassadors; maybe I misinterpreted? :ninja:

In any case *rubs hands together* May 1st's here, lets hear some good news soon
Any movement occur?

Withdrew my acceptance today. It was a tough decision, but I know someone deserving will get the spot! Good luck everyone.

I had some movement in my chc site yesterday. People must be withdrawing.

Hey guys! Congrats on all of the acceptances! My girlfriend was just accepted to the PA program at ATSU in Mesa! She is looking for a place to live and I was curious if anyone was in need of a roommate. All responses are greatly appreciated!

Any movement lately? or is it pretty much over...

I heard they added a May interview date, along with a 'waitlist' status, anyone know if that is true?

Last edited:
at the rate things are going now, next year's class will have around 25 people on the pending list who had to defer, which means ~90 actual open seats for interviewees.

Last edited:
What apartments do students usually live at? Any advice from current/future students?

figured it out :)

Last edited: