A.T. Still University Arizona (ATSU-SOMA) Discussion Thread 2013 - 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thecampuslegend

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Questions, comments, qualms about ATSU-SOMA for the new school year.....

I am a graduating 4th year, and there are many other users such as SLC and pinkstarr from ATSU-SOMA who are willing to drop some knowledge and help you make a solid decision for medical school.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Emergency Medicine Naval Medical Center Portsmouth Portsmouth, VA Military
Emergency Medicine St James Health Chicago, IL AOA
Emergency Medicine OSU Tulsa, OK AOA
Emergency Medicine MSU St Joseph, MI AOA
Emergency Medicine Michigan State University COM Allegiance Health Jackson, MI AOA
Emergency Medicine Western Michigan University Kalamazoo, MI ACGME
Emergency Medicine Garden City Hospital Garden City, MI AOA
Emergency Medicine John Peter Smith Fort Worth, TX ACGME
Psychiatry Albany Medical Center Albany, NY ACGME (couples)
Psychiatry University of Nevada-SOM Las Vegas, NV ACGME
Psychiatry Baystate Med Ctr/Tufts Univ SOM Springfield, MA ACGME
Psychiatry Maricopa County Phoenix, AZ ACGME
Psychiatry Maricopa County Phoenix, AZ ACGME
Diagnostic Radiology Texas Tech University (Intern Year University of Nevada) El Paso, TX ACGME
Diagnostic Radiology Larkin Community Miami, FL AOA
Diagnostic Radiology University of New Mexico Alb., NM ACGME
Diagnostic Radiology Albany Medical Center (Prelim-Med U of OK) Albany, NY ACGME (couples)
General Surgery Arnot Ogden Medical Center Elmira, NY AOA
General Surgery Naval Medical Center Portsmouth Portsmouth, VA Military
General Surgery McLaren Greater Lansing- MSU Lansing, MI AOA (couples)
General Surgery OSU Tulsa, OK AOA
General Surgery Charleston Area Med Center Charleston, WV ACGME
General Surgery Brooke Army Med Center San Antonio, TX Military
General Surgery Danbury Hospital/Univ. of Vermont Danbury, CT ACGME (couples)
Neuromusculoskeletal Medicine Mercy Health Partners Muskegon, MI AOA
Ophthalmology PCOM Philadelphia, PA AOA
Transitional Year Naval Medical Center Portsmouth Portsmouth, VA Military
Traditional Rotating Internship Good Samaritan Hospital Corvallis, OR AOA
Traditional Rotating Internship St. Barnabas Hospital Bronx, NY AOA
Family Medicine University of Wyoming Casper Casper, WY ACGME
Family Medicine Carl R. Darnall Army Medical Center Killeen, TX Military
Family Medicine Medical College of Wisconsin St. Joseph's Milwaukee, WI ACGME
Family Medicine LSU (University Medical Center) Lafayette, LA ACGME
Family Medicine MAHEC Hendersonville, NC ACGME
Family Medicine Bay Area Medical Center Corpus Christi, TX AOA
Family Medicine Utah Valley Regional Medical Center Provo, UT ACGME
Family Medicine ATSU/Wright Center Portland, OR AOA (Outside Match)
Family Medicine Mike O'Callaghan Federal Hospital - Nellis AFB Las Vegas, NV Military
Family Medicine University of California San Francisco-Fresno Fresno, CA ACGME
Family Medicine UW: Providence Sacred Heart Spokane, WA ACGME
Family Medicine White Memorial Medical Center Los Angeles, CA ACGME
Family Medicine Fam Med Res Idaho RTT - Magic Valley Boise/Twin Falls, ID ACGME
Family Medicine Providence St. Peter Hospital Olympia, WA ACGME
FM/Preventive Medicine Loma Linda University Loma Linda, CA ACGME
Family Medicine University of Texas Austin, TX ACGME
Internal Medicine Kent Hospital Warwick, RI AOA
Internal Medicine UConn Hartford, CT AOA
Internal Medicine Good Samaritan Hospital Cincinnati, OH ACGME
Internal Medicine University of Arizona- UMC Tucson, AZ ACGME (couples)
Internal Medicine Stamford Hospital/Columbia University Stamford, CT ACGME
Internal Medicine Scripps Mercy Hospital San Diego, CA ACGME
Internal Medicine Broward Health Medical Center Ft. Lauderdale, FL AOA
Internal Medicine Bay Area Medical Center Corpus Christi, TX AOA
Internal Medicine UCSF Fresno Fresno, CA ACGME
Internal Medicine University of New Mexico Abq, NM ACGME
Internal Medicine University of New Mexico Abq, NM ACGME
Internal Medicine U of Az South campus Tucson, AZ ACGME
Internal Medicine Loyola University Chicago, IL ACGME
Internal Medicine University of Hawaii Honolulu, HI ACGME
Internal Medicine Aurora/MtSinai Milwaukee, WI ACGME
Internal Medicine Baystate Med Ctr/Tufts Univ SOM ACGME
Internal Medicine University of Washington Boise VA Boise, ID ACGME
OB GYN Wright State Boonshoft SOM Dayton, OH ACGME
OB/GYN Baystate Med Ctr/Tufts Univ SOM Springfield, MA ACGME
OB GYN Garden City Hospital Garden City, MI AOA
OB/GYN Mercy Hospital Chicago, IL ACGME
OB/GYN Danbury Hospital Danbury, CT ACGME (couples)
OB/GYN Medical College of Wisconsin Milwauke, WI ACGME
OB/GYN Texas Tech University Amarillo, TX ACGME
Pediatrics University of Hawaii Honolulu, HI ACGME
Pediatrics University of New Mexico Alb., NM ACGME
Pediatrics E W Sparrow Hospital (MSU) Lansing, MI AOA (couples)
Pediatrics Loma Linda University Loma Linda, CA ACGME
Pediatrics Loma Linda University Loma Linda, CA ACGME
Pediatrics Texas Tech University El Paso, TX ACGME
Pediatrics The Ohio State University Columbus, OH ACGME
Pediatrics University of Arizona Tucson, AZ ACGME (couples)
Pediatrics USC/LAC Hosptial Los Angeles, CA ACGME
Pediatrics Medical College of Georgia Augusta, GA ACGME

Hi im a pending accept,

I was wondering how do rotations work? do you do them at a chc sites? can you please elaborate on this. Would it be possible to do them in chicago?

Third year rotations are distinctly different in the way they are scheduled from fourth year rotations. Though each CHC site will have a different flavor, you should have a healthy combination of private practice, CHC, and teaching hospital rotations scheduled during your 3rd year. Some CHCs will have more emphasis on teaching hospital rotations, while others may have more of a private practice/CHC feel to their rotations.

You must do all your core rotations in the state that your CHC is in during 3rd year. There is no CHC in Illinois, so you would not be able to do any of your core rotations in Chicago. However, you will have 2-3 elective months during your 3rd year, and you can schedule those rotations anywhere you would like (but you will need to do this on your own, your CHC will not help you obtain rotations in different states). So if you have connections and are able to set up elective rotations in Chicago, then you will be able to do so.

Your 4th year is a time to do audition rotations and you can set those up whereever you want; the majority of med students trying to obtain ACGME rotations will use the VSAS website https://www.aamc.org/students/medstudents/vsas/

You should be able to set up AOA rotations by going to the institutions' website. I set up all my 4th year rotations on my own with relative ease and wanted to be in charge of arranging my whole schedule. It worked out to where I was able to do rotations in Portland, Seattle, Fresno and Las Vegas even though I am at the PHX CHC. Your 4th year is very flexible - you can schedule everything on your own, or the CHC admin will schedule your core rotations for you. So if you wanted to do every rotation of your 4th year in Chicago....then you could do it, with the clause that you would be the captain of your ship in having to set them all up.

Members don't see this ad :)
Could a current student explain the distance learning process I've heard about? Is it your M2 year that you start at a different center and do distance learning the rest of the years?

I was looking on the school's website for the CHC locations again, and couldn't find it. I am wondering if it is the same 11 sites as before? And if anyone wouldn't mind sharing the pros/cons of the site that they chose?

Thanks

Could a current student explain the distance learning process I've heard about? Is it your M2 year that you start at a different center and do distance learning the rest of the years?

Your first year ends July 1st-ish. You get 4ish weeks to move and get settled down to whatever CHC you have been assigned to. And then it all begins.

Distance learning occurs through video podcasts. You can have anywhere from 20-40 video podcasts that you are responsible for going through. This obviously requires an individual who is independently motivated to get through all the lectures. Depending on the CHC, there will be about 8-10 hours of "class time" allocated at the CHC classroom for you to meet with your RDMEs (regional directors of medical education) to help further your education and clarify concepts that you are struggling with. You also have an OMM day at your CHC classroom.

As for years 3 and 4, you will be doing your clinical rotations during these years so there is no distance learning. The school will post some learning materials for you to read over before you start the rotation, but there are no core lectures to go over. However, there are OMM videos and quizzes that you will need to do.

Thanks for starting this thread! ATSU-SOMA is one of my top choices and I can't wait to apply:

Can you describe the "clinical presentations" curriculum? Did you find that it was very effective for boards and your clinical rotations?

I was looking on the school's website for the CHC locations again, and couldn't find it. I am wondering if it is the same 11 sites as before? And if anyone wouldn't mind sharing the pros/cons of the site that they chose?

Thanks

Alabama is no longer a CHC, there is a new one in DC which will be starting this year. Everything else should be kosher.

Thanks for starting this thread! ATSU-SOMA is one of my top choices and I can't wait to apply:

Can you describe the "clinical presentations" curriculum? Did you find that it was very effective for boards and your clinical rotations?

It's a unique curriculum and one that has had mixed reviews with my colleagues. Basically, let's just say someone comes in with blood in the urine aka hematuria....well ATSU-SOMA will teach you how to work towards the diagnosis. So there will be a scheme that begins with hematuria and then it will go down which tests you need to order and have branch decision making for you to arrive at what the proper diagnosis is. The year is broken down in to system based modules and within each system they will break it down to a clinical presentation such as cough, chest pain, etc.

Now to your second question...I will follow it up with a question of my own...do you feel that your undergraduate major prepped you for the MCAT or did you have to take out time to study on your own? The same goes for boards....no matter where you go for medical school, the curriculum will not prepare you to take your boards. You have to put in the time to go through First Aid and UWORLD question bank if you want to be successful. That's it.

As for prepping for clinical rotations, you'll need to study for those when you get there. The first two years will give you some knowledge, but the clinical world is completely different from the book world. You'll have some background knowledge of medicine when you enter rotations, but you can't rely on your first two years to succeed during your last two years. The one problem you will face is coming up with differentials. Our school does not teach differentials, so it took me awhile to become proficient with coming up with a handful of diagnoses when I saw a patient. But on the other hand, I've worked with other med students from traditional med schools who were poor at working up a diagnosis in a methodical manner, which is what you will be proficient at through our curriculum.

Just so people know, even though I won't be attending this school, I'd recommend to anyone that they go to the interview if invited. This school has their interview day figured out! I left that day knowing exactly what the school was all about from everything from lifestyle and curriculum to their purpose and goals. While, I was accepted, I felt my choosing not to attend this school was based on a better understanding of this school than my decision not to attend KCUMB or NSU. Seems like a very great school but just wasn't quite the right fit for me. Good luck to you applying this season!

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm available to answer any questions about this school, or just about applying in general.

Please don't hesitate to ask!

Members don't see this ad :)
What's the MCAT range and average of accepted students? TIA :)

Can't comment with authority on the range, I'm sure it's probably like 23/24 up to whatever the highest accepted MCAT is depending on the year. I personally knew someone who had a 38. The last published average (two years ago) was 27. It's getting more competitive every year, so the average will likely be higher now.

I just called them yesterday, according to the admissions counselor: MCAT 27, sGPA 3.30, cGPA 3.40, for co 2016

Didn't ask for the range, but I know someone got in with a 22.....

I just called them yesterday, according to the admissions counselor: MCAT 27, sGPA 3.30, cGPA 3.40, for co 2016

Didn't ask for the range, but I know someone got in with a 22.....

There's gonna be a glaring weakness in the majority of applicants to a DO program....that's just the truth. For many people it's the MCAT, but when it comes down to it - if you have a 22 and a 2.4 GPA you aren't getting in. Your whole application needs to above average if you are applying with a below avg MCAT score. And above all, there's going to be a lot of people applying with a low MCAT....what sets you apart and will get you an admittance letter will be how you respond on interview day.

There's gonna be a glaring weakness in the majority of applicants to a DO program....that's just the truth. For many people it's the MCAT, but when it comes down to it - if you have a 22 and a 2.4 GPA you aren't getting in. Your whole application needs to above average if you are applying with a below avg MCAT score. And above all, there's going to be a lot of people applying with a low MCAT....what sets you apart and will get you an admittance letter will be how you respond on interview day.

I do know the person with the 22 MCAT had a REALLY high GPA >3.90, and knowing how well the person did at SOMA, i can say the 22 was a fluke

I am also applying to ATSU-SOMA (one of my top choices). Will I be competitive as an URM African American with a 26-27 MCAT if I have a low cGPA (3.15) but an ok sGPA (3.35)?

Just wanted to let everyone know that I'm available to answer any questions about this school, or just about applying in general.

Please don't hesitate to ask!

For how much can I find a decent 2BR apartment near the school? For a family of three, how much do you think I'll need per month to survive modestly in phoenix? Will loans be enough to cover my living (family of 3) expenses all year long?

Now in regards to the school...

Is it safe to assume that I could do all of my rotations in phoenix? Is attendance mandatory? Could you describe a typical day of your 1st and 2nd year as a medical student?

Thank you,

For how much can I find a decent 2BR apartment near the school?

for 2BR apartments, less than 1K is highly possible

For a family of three, how much do you think I'll need per month to survive modestly in phoenix? Will loans be enough to cover my living (family of 3) expenses all year long?

Phoenix is pretty cheap to live in. You will have enough for your family as you can get up to $40,000 on top of tuition

Is it safe to assume that I could do all of my rotations in phoenix? Is attendance mandatory?

For most classes during 1st year and 2nd year, mostly no mandatory attendance, but expect to show up 2-3x/ week. podcasts and recorded lectures are available

Could you describe a typical day of your 1st and 2nd year as a medical student?

1st year: lectures (which are recorded) MTWF mornings 8:00 till 12:00, MF afternoons anatomy and small group discussions, Thurs 8-5 OPP and medical skills

Thank you,

Last edited:
For how much can I find a decent 2BR apartment near the school? For a family of three, how much do you think I'll need per month to survive modestly in phoenix? Will loans be enough to cover my living (family of 3) expenses all year long?

Is it safe to assume that I could do all of my rotations in phoenix? Is attendance mandatory? Could you describe a typical day of your 1st and 2nd year as a medical student?

Thank you,

I had a family of 4 (now 5) during my first year, we found a house with 3 bedrooms, 2baths, fenced yard with citrus trees, 2car garage, and a community park/pool for $1,200/month. It was in a nice neighborhood though, if you're willing to live north of the school in an older home you could easily do better than that.

I found the financial aid package sufficient.

You can do all your rotations in the Phoenix area if you match to the Phoenix site. If not, you'll move to a different city after 1st year where you'll do all your rotations. There are a handful of sites that require extensive travel (Portland, Hawaii, Flagstaff) with the rest being fairly centralized.

Hope that helps.

Reactions: 1 user
How do they decide which site to assign you? I'm assuming you provide a wish list and they make the final decision. Any idea how likely it is to get your top choice?

How do they decide which site to assign you? I'm assuming you provide a wish list and they make the final decision. Any idea how likely it is to get your top choice?

The earlier you interview and are accepted, the more likely you are to get your top choice.

They used to have a Match system, where you ranked the sites, and they tried to get everyone as high up their list as possible, but now it's more or less first-come, first served. Another reason to put your App in ASAP.

I am also applying to ATSU-SOMA (one of my top choices). Will I be competitive as an URM African American with a 26-27 MCAT if I have a low cGPA (3.15) but an ok sGPA (3.35)?

Short answer is yes. If you could prove that you were 15% Native American you would probably also get an automatic accept without having to interview.

I had a family of 4 (now 5) during my first year, we found a house with 3 bedrooms, 2baths, fenced yard with citrus trees, 2car garage, and a community park/pool for $1,200/month. It was in a nice neighborhood though, if you're willing to live north of the school in an older home you could easily do better than that.

I found the financial aid package sufficient.

You can do all your rotations in the Phoenix area if you match to the Phoenix site. If not, you'll move to a different city after 1st year where you'll do all your rotations. There are a handful of sites that require extensive travel (Portland, Hawaii, Flagstaff) with the rest being fairly centralized.

Hope that helps.

Thank you guys!

Hi everyone. It's tough to think that I was in the same position many of you are in last year with the whole application process. I hope this tidbit helps you guys out as someone once helped me out. I start here at AT STILL July 8th. Have hope and continue to believe in yourself. You did not get to this point by accident.

First my stats:
3.4 GPA overall
20 MCAT score(yes that's right a 20.)

Interviewed: December 8th. 2012
Initial Rejection: December 21st 2012(MCAT score only reason)
Overturned and Acceptance: February 8th 2013(*No I did not retake the MCAT, did not have time with family, military obligations, aworking full time since I graduated last December)

As you endure throughout this whole ordeal from the application to matriculation process. Remember. Keep your head up. You worked hard to get to this point in life. You have struggled, you have studied, you have worked your tail off. You didn't get to this point by accident. It is not a matter of if for you. It is a matter of when. Academics are an important piece for matriculation but not the only piece. Your personal statement is huge, explaining how situations best represent the qualities in you that make an excellent candidate into their program. Your life experience, your LOR's from DO's and MD's who have mentored you, your college faculty LOR's that write eloquently about you. If you make it to the secondary application. It's a great thing. they want to know more about you. Always be honest and upfront. Never lie. Remain humble throughout the process. Do not be boastful and arrogant but be confident. When you make it to the interview stage remember this medical school thinks highly enough of you to invest time into you and really get to know you. Be ready to explain any weaknesses you may have in your package and be confident in your strengths. the academic side is often a formality however it is the interview where you can show them what makes you an excellent fit for their program. Take care. Best wishes. I will be honored to work alongside you someday in the medical field. There's a big world out there to repair. It takes many, not just a few so keep your head up, don't wonder, know, know you will be there, you will go to medical school, and you will be a physician. We need more people who care enough to make a difference.

Oh also, earlier interview dates are better. you can always ask for an earlier date respectfully if you can attend an earlier date. People have to cancel and reschedule often times, so there is always the possibility. Keep in mind it is part of a numbers game. for example. if you apply in august, you may receive a secondary in september, and an interview invite in october. AT STILL will usually give you at least 30 days in advance of your date. keep in mind. if you apply then and say you had an interview date in december like i did. 10-20 spots may have already been taken out of the total seats available. Not writing that to discourage any of you, just keep it in consideration. It's only tougher with fewer spots to get accepted. If you do not get invited for an interview. It never hurts to respectfully and humbly ask what could be done to improve and strengthen your package for the next cycle....and just throwing out there, there is also the waitlist. People do get taken off waitlist and accepted. Even a rejection is not necessarily final. So have hope, have faith, keep pressing forward. Best wishes and take care on this exciting journey for you.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Hi everyone. It's tough to think that I was in the same position many of you are in last year with the whole application process. I hope this tidbit helps you guys out as someone once helped me out. I start here at AT STILL July 8th. Have hope and continue to believe in yourself. You did not get to this point by accident.

First my stats:
3.4 GPA overall
20 MCAT score(yes that's right a 20.)

Interviewed: December 8th. 2012
Initial Rejection: December 21st 2012(MCAT score only reason)
Overturned and Acceptance: February 8th 2013(*No I did not retake the MCAT, did not have time with family, military obligations, aworking full time since I graduated last December)

As you endure throughout this whole ordeal from the application to matriculation process. Remember. Keep your head up. You worked hard to get to this point in life. You have struggled, you have studied, you have worked your tail off. You didn't get to this point by accident. It is not a matter of if for you. It is a matter of when. Academics are an important piece for matriculation but not the only piece. Your personal statement is huge, explaining how situations best represent the qualities in you that make an excellent candidate into their program. Your life experience, your LOR's from DO's and MD's who have mentored you, your college faculty LOR's that write eloquently about you. If you make it to the secondary application. It's a great thing. they want to know more about you. Always be honest and upfront. Never lie. Remain humble throughout the process. Do not be boastful and arrogant but be confident. When you make it to the interview stage remember this medical school thinks highly enough of you to invest time into you and really get to know you. Be ready to explain any weaknesses you may have in your package and be confident in your strengths. the academic side is often a formality however it is the interview where you can show them what makes you an excellent fit for their program. Take care. Best wishes. I will be honored to work alongside you someday in the medical field. There's a big world out there to repair. It takes many, not just a few so keep your head up, don't wonder, know, know you will be there, you will go to medical school, and you will be a physician. We need more people who care enough to make a difference.

Oh also, earlier interview dates are better. you can always ask for an earlier date respectfully if you can attend an earlier date. People have to cancel and reschedule often times, so there is always the possibility. Keep in mind it is part of a numbers game. for example. if you apply in august, you may receive a secondary in september, and an interview invite in october. AT STILL will usually give you at least 30 days in advance of your date. keep in mind. if you apply then and say you had an interview date in december like i did. 10-20 spots may have already been taken out of the total seats available. Not writing that to discourage any of you, just keep it in consideration. It's only tougher with fewer spots to get accepted. If you do not get invited for an interview. It never hurts to respectfully and humbly ask what could be done to improve and strengthen your package for the next cycle....and just throwing out there, there is also the waitlist. People do get taken off waitlist and accepted. Even a rejection is not necessarily final. So have hope, have faith, keep pressing forward. Best wishes and take care on this exciting journey for you.

How was your rejection overturned? Just curious. :)

Studyshy. The dean contacted me and spoke with me and reopened my application after things were discussed. We talked more about the details of my life. The orphanage I came from, my first wife that passed away, the time spent under Dr. Richard Jadick when I was with 1st Batallion 8th Marines, my family i have with our 3 beautiful children, the book I wrote and published which is on Amazon and all the royalties going to charity. We talked about how I would manage college debt should worst case scenario of me failing out of school which was a simple explanation of the national Guard will cover the cost of my loans and debt I accrue. he dean recommended the admissions committee to reexamine my application, and decided to accept me. There's a much bigger picture than just stats. :)

elevencents, I knew about a month after I received the official acceptance. At the latest I think I knew in March. I am going to the Washington CHC in Seattle which was my top choice.

Studyshy. The dean contacted me and spoke with me and reopened my application after things were discussed. We talked more about the details of my life. The orphanage I came from, my first wife that passed away, the time spent under Dr. Richard Jadick when I was with 1st Batallion 8th Marines, my family i have with our 3 beautiful children, the book I wrote and published which is on Amazon and all the royalties going to charity. We talked about how I would manage college debt should worst case scenario of me failing out of school which was a simple explanation of the national Guard will cover the cost of my loans and debt I accrue. he dean recommended the admissions committee to reexamine my application, and decided to accept me. There's a much bigger picture than just stats. :)

elevencents, I knew about a month after I received the official acceptance. At the latest I think I knew in March. I am going to the Washington CHC in Seattle which was my top choice.

Congratulations, I am glad to see SOMA really take a step back to try to make the best overall choices, numbers aside. I wish you the best!

Secondary invite just now. Check your inboxes!

For the EC's should we just copy and paste from our AACOMAS application??

For the EC's should we just copy and paste from our AACOMAS application??

I called and asked admissions about this when I applied last year and they said it was fine to just copy and paste from AACOMAS. They accepted me, so it must have been okay.

I called and asked admissions about this when I applied last year and they said it was fine to just copy and paste from AACOMAS. They accepted me, so it must have been okay.

Just going based off of an earlier thread, but are you responding to the question asking for motivation for your activities and how it changed you?

It seems like they are looking for paragraph answers, not just a description? I haven't been verified/released yet, so I'm not entirely sure.

For your third year, does each CHC have a larger hospital that they pair you up with when you do surgery etc. Most of the CHC's only offer basic services so should I expect to be traveling to a larger teaching hospital quite a bit? Are the teaching hospitals close by or will there be periods where I will have to make long daily commutes?

With the question about the prolonged time outside of school, do we simply just state what we did? i.e. MCAT, took another class etc? Did anyone just list?

With the question about the prolonged time outside of school, do we simply just state what we did? i.e. MCAT, took another class etc? Did anyone just list?

I thought it stated "non-academic", so MCAT and classes aren't what they are looking for.

For your third year, does each CHC have a larger hospital that they pair you up with when you do surgery etc. Most of the CHC's only offer basic services so should I expect to be traveling to a larger teaching hospital quite a bit? Are the teaching hospitals close by or will there be periods where I will have to make long daily commutes?

You might be traveling across town to hospitals, just like any other school. But you'll likely be relocating after OMS1 and you'll know where you're moving to immediately; so finding a centrally located place to live shouldn't be too difficult.

Wondering if I am going to get a secondary here. 3.55 cGPA, 3.59 sGPA 29Q. App was released 6/21 and still waiting...

Wondering if I am going to get a secondary here. 3.55 cGPA, 3.59 sGPA 29Q. App was released 6/21 and still waiting...

Your stats are more than adequate (better than mine and I got accepted); I'm sure you'll get a secondary, but make sure you do some research into the program here if you're really interested in this school because GPA and MCAT are only part of your application, especially at this school. Good luck!

lol can't believe i was doing this exactly a year ago.. i start soma july 8.
i submitted in june, interviewed in september and got accepted a few weeks after. goodluck to those who are applying!
do not delay your app! :)

Glad I checked this thread. I received a secondary email from KCOM, but not from SOMA. I manually entered in their secondary web address and logged in to find my secondary waiting for me!

A heads up for anyone who has applied to multiple ATSU campuses.

Question about the second secondary question. It asks for your motivation for participating in a lot of different activities and how they changed you.

Would it be okay to discuss one community service activity and how it changed me, rather than a topical glance at all of my experiences? It would basically be the answer to one of my AMCAS "most meaningful" activities, but it is the strongest response I could give.

Also are there any student run clinics around this campus? I've been searching for at least 30 minutes, but I can't find anything.

Last edited: