2028 Rejected

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yeahhh not to throw too much shade at the process and come off bitter but it does feel pretty random for a lot of schools. All I can think of for MN is that there’s potentially a relatively high, undisclosed cutoff, then they value balanced applicants after that? I dunno. It would help if schools posted that kind of thing publicly.
Agreed, it has been a completely random crapshoot for me this cycle. After getting nothing but rejections all my other cycles I can't even gather what might have set me apart so much this cycle to get around certain things. I can only think that it really matters the random person that review your app and scores it basically.

edit: for consistency sake i did get on Iowa's waitlist the last time I applied but I was literally 236/264 so no hope of getting off, i pretty much just viewed it as a rejection

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
My fiance suggested that because I have and IS vet school a lot of schools are denying me by assuming that I have a good chance at my IS...

I understand what he means but at the same time there are many other people with an IS vet school who get multiple offers and I'm thinking that that clearly is not the issue at hand.
Would you be interested in places like UC Davis, Cornell, or Tufts? I believe they all have pretty high GPA cutoffs and only accept GPAs like yours. Those were places I really shouldn't have applied but I was being ridiculous this cycle and throwing out anything I could because I told myself this was the last time and I would give up after this cycle.

Reactions: 1 user
My fiance suggested that because I have and IS vet school a lot of schools are denying me by assuming that I have a good chance at my IS...

I understand what he means but at the same time there are many other people with an IS vet school who get multiple offers and I'm thinking that that clearly is not the issue at hand.
As far as I know unless schools have contracts with other states that don’t have IS schools (which are usually listed as contract seats and not true OOS anyway), all OOS applicants are on an even playing field since they have a certain number of seats allocated

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Would you be interested in places like UC Davis, Cornell, or Tufts? I believe they all have pretty high GPA cutoffs and only accept GPAs like yours. Those were places I really shouldn't have applied but I was being ridiculous this cycle and throwing out anything I could because I told myself this was the last time and I would give up after this cycle.
You see, I was going to apply to schools like that as well, but my fiance is going for his PhD in biochemistry and we chose schools that we both liked and that were financially attainable to the two of us. So far, he's gotten into every program he's applied to, he's only waiting on Wisconsin and Virginia Tech. Wishing I didn't love animals so much rn.

Agreed, it has been a completely random crapshoot for me this cycle. After getting nothing but rejections all my other cycles I can't even gather what might have set me apart so much this cycle to get around certain things. I can only think that it really matters the random person that review your app and scores it basically.
Just because it’s kind of random doesn’t mean you haven’t earned it! Happy that this cycle is going better for you, going through this multiple times in a row sounds rough and is partially why I held off on applying for a few years after my first IS-only cycle

• Care
Just because it’s kind of random doesn’t mean you haven’t earned it! Happy that this cycle is going better for you, going through this multiple times in a row sounds rough and is partially why I held off on applying for a few years after my first IS-only cycle
I am literally rooting for you so hard so if you ever want to have me look at your essays or just chat about things please let me know <3 This cycle could still amount to nothing for me since I haven't been accepted anywhere so I'm trying not to count my chickens before they're hatched but seriously, I am willing to share any piece of my application with anyone if it helps! or just whatever advice I have learned in the past 9+ years of navigating all of this!!!

I believe in you. I am hoping so hard for ISU and LMU to wise up to how valuable you are!!!

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
You see, I was going to apply to schools like that as well, but my fiance is going for his PhD in biochemistry and we chose schools that we both liked and that were financially attainable to the two of us. So far, he's gotten into every program he's applied to, he's only waiting on Wisconsin and Virginia Tech. Wishing I didn't love animals so much rn.
Oh I also meant to ask, did you try for NCSU? They offer instate tuition after the 1st year, they only offer a very small amount of OOS seats but they seem to LOVE GPA. But I get that as well! <3 I think if you up your hours as much as possible if you don't get in this time you will have a very nice shot next time. Please don't feel discouraged! That GPA is very much to be celebrated! :)

I am literally rooting for you so hard so if you ever want to have me look at your essays or just chat about things please let me know <3 This cycle could still amount to nothing for me since I haven't been accepted anywhere so I'm trying not to count my chickens before they're hatched but seriously, I am willing to share any piece of my application with anyone if it helps! or just whatever advice I have learned in the past 9+ years of navigating all of this!!!

I believe in you. I am hoping so hard for ISU and LMU to wise up to how valuable you are!!!
THANK YOU omg you are so sweet, that genuinely made me feel a lil better 💚 And I’ll totally take you up on that if this cycle is a wash! I didn’t really have as many people look over my essays as I should’ve because for some reason the thought of people I knew reading them made me cringe lmao

My fingers are v much crossed for you for those acceptances!!

• Care
Oh I also meant to ask, did you try for NCSU? They offer instate tuition after the 1st year, they only offer a very small amount of OOS seats but they seem to LOVE GPA. But I get that as well! <3 I think if you up your hours as much as possible if you don't get in this time you will have a very nice shot next time. Please don't feel discouraged! That GPA is very much to be celebrated! :)
Thank you! We all know how competitive this is, but knowing that doesn't make the rejections hurt any less. Another issue I've found that I believe is hurting me is that I noted my interest in public health medicine but have no experiences to "back up my claim" so to speak. I found this post from 14 years ago in which a person had a similar problem as me. File Review - Seriously??

Really, really sucks that they turn people down for having an interest in a specific area even if they don't have experience in that field. Most people go into veterinary school wanting to do, say, farm animal but learn that they actually love exotics or something in school. I wish they didn't have such narrow tunnel vision when it comes to what interests students have going in knowing they will most likely have different interests coming out...

THANK YOU omg you are so sweet, that genuinely made me feel a lil better 💚 And I’ll totally take you up on that if this cycle is a wash! I didn’t really have as many people look over my essays as I should’ve because for some reason the thought of people I knew reading them made me cringe lmao

My fingers are v much crossed for you for those acceptances!!
100% here for you!!! I'll be cheering you on and if you need it I'll be a resource!! 💙 I'm in your corner!!!!

• Care
Thank you! We all know how competitive this is, but knowing that doesn't make the rejections hurt any less. Another issue I've found that I believe is hurting me is that I noted my interest in public health medicine but have no experiences to "back up my claim" so to speak. I found this post from 14 years ago in which a person had a similar problem as me. File Review - Seriously??

Really, really sucks that they turn people down for having an interest in a specific area even if they don't have experience in that field. Most people go into veterinary school wanting to do, say, farm animal but learn that they actually love exotics or something in school. I wish they didn't have such narrow tunnel vision when it comes to what interests students have going in knowing they will most likely have different interests coming out...
I do agree with that sentiment, I used to keep writing I wanted to specialize but I didn't have any backing in it and then I worked for NCSU for a few years and got to see the ins and outs of speciality and I think it really changed up my personal statement when I talked about how much seeing all those clinicians and their expertise made me want to be just like them. I completely agree with the frustration that you're just trying to say what you are currently interested in and it sucks when you can't find adequate opportunities around you to experience it. I had the same problem with large animal, I had some experience with equine but everything else was soooooo limited.

If public health is the way you want to go I would see if there's a way to get a public health certificate or 1 year masters to back up how much you want to be in the field. I know not ideal and also costs more money, but might be a suggestion to back up your interests!

It’s my third application cycle- applied to 8 schools, rejected from 5, no interviews. I still have three to hear from but not feeling too optimistic anymore. I have a great leadership job that pays well in vet med and so will probably stay here and keep retaking my prerequisites. The idea of starting this all over seems incredibly daunting. It’s costing me so much money year after year and I’m embarrassed to ask for new rec letters once again.
Updates! I’ve been invited to interview at Michigan State! I am over the moon excited- doesn’t feel real!

• Love
  • Care
I didn't realize there was a forum for those rejected, but anyways hi all. This is my second cycle for vet school apps. Last cycle I was rejected by all but two schools (SDSU waitlist and Dublin - which I ended up rejecting due to change of heart). This cycle I have applied to 11 schools and, while it is going better than last cycle, it is still discouraging. I've received 5 rejections so far (Cornell, WSU, UPEI, OSU, UMN), an interview waitlist (UPenn), an alternate waitlist (CSU), three interviews (VMCVM, tOSU, SDSU), and one I'm still waiting to hear from (ISU). I did my SDSU interview today and felt pretty good about it and have my tOSU interview tomorrow. At this point in the cycle I'm so tired of rejection that I kind of don't care anymore since I've already mentally accepted doing another cycle. How do y'all combat this?

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't realize there was a forum for those rejected, but anyways hi all. This is my second cycle for vet school apps. Last cycle I was rejected by all but two schools (SDSU waitlist and Dublin - which I ended up rejecting due to change of heart). This cycle I have applied to 11 schools and, while it is going better than last cycle, it is still discouraging. I've received 5 rejections so far (Cornell, WSU, UPEI, OSU, UMN), an interview waitlist (UPenn), an alternate waitlist (CSU), three interviews (VMCVM, tOSU, SDSU), and one I'm still waiting to hear from (ISU). I did my SDSU interview today and felt pretty good about it and have my tOSU interview tomorrow. At this point in the cycle I'm so tired of rejection that I kind of don't care anymore since I've already mentally accepted doing another cycle. How do y'all combat this?
How do I combat it? Honestly, by sobbing on my fiance's shoulder and coming onto SDN to rant lmao. The Tl;DR is not well.

Anyway, good luck with your Ohio State interview tomorrow! So far that is the only school I have heard any good news from. I am interviewing on the last day lol (Feb 10). Tell me how it goes afterward! I'm curious to know if you thought it went well or if it was rough. Ohio is my IS so I really, really, truly, with every last once of my heart and soul hope that I get in.

:D

• Care
What are some main reasons or ’s that you won’t consider island schools?

I have been rejected to all 12 schools I applied to except for Ross. I’ve posted before about how hesitant I am and considering to reapply again in 2 years for 2026 cycle (extra time to improve app). I know it’s 2 1/2 years on the island and then back to states; part of my thought process is “oh I could be halfway done instead of reapplying in 2 years”

I almost feel “guilty” for not being as eager to accept my seat at Ross. I want to hear reasons why others DONT apply to island schools even after multiple cycles of rejection? I know that good doctors come out of the island schools and have worked with many but want to hear the other side of why people don’t go to islands.

I have been rejected to all 12 schools I applied to except for Ross. I’ve posted before about how hesitant I am and considering to reapply again in 2 years for 2026 cycle (extra time to improve app). I know it’s 2 1/2 years on the island and then back to states; part of my thought process is “oh I could be halfway done instead of reapplying in 2 years”

I almost feel “guilty” for not being as eager to accept my seat at Ross. I want to hear reasons why others DONT apply to island schools even after multiple cycles of rejection? I know that good doctors come out of the island schools and have worked with many but want to hear the other side of why people don’t go to islands.
This is for Ross in particular. Not too long ago (like right pre-pandemic) I heard they were on probation for having lower NAVLE scores. Also heard they have a high dropout rate compared to other schools. I wouldn't knock it though, if it's really what you want to do don't let anyone shame you into not going. Just be aware of the risks and the higher debt load that comes with island schools

How do I combat it? Honestly, by sobbing on my fiance's shoulder and coming onto SDN to rant lmao. The Tl;DR is not well.

Anyway, good luck with your Ohio State interview tomorrow! So far that is the only school I have heard any good news from. I am interviewing on the last day lol (Feb 10). Tell me how it goes afterward! I'm curious to know if you thought it went well or if it was rough. Ohio is my IS so I really, really, truly, with every last once of my heart and soul hope that I get in.

:D
I will! I heard their interviewers are usually very conversational. In my two interviews with SDSU they're very blunt and quiet :( I also heard tOSU is very LGBT friendly which is my main worry with SDSU, I will stick out like a sore thumb in South Dakota lol. I also really wanna get into tOSU, they're my second top school (CSU #1) and they're close to my state!

I will! I heard their interviewers are usually very conversational. In my two interviews with SDSU they're very blunt and quiet :( I also heard tOSU is very LGBT friendly which is my main worry with SDSU, I will stick out like a sore thumb in South Dakota lol. I also really wanna get into tOSU, they're my second top school (CSU #1) and they're close to my state!
Maybe we'll be classmates! I hope for the best for us :)

This is my 3rd cycle applying to vet school. The last two cycles I only applied to 3 schools and got rejected each year by every school. This year I decided to widen my pool and apply to 16 schools (RIP bank account). I have been rejected by all expect 5 schools, which is honestly a big improvement from the last two cycles.
I have already interviewed with Long Island and Kansas State. I think my interviews went okay but I know okay will not be enough to beat 400 other interviewees so I’m not feeling too great about them. Looking forward to my interviews with tOSU on 1/27, Mississippi State on 1/30! Ugh sometimes I feel like those interviews are just way too short. I’m a talker and I love to make those short stories long 😂 that’s what I’ve currently been practicing on in my mock interviews. Coming up with quick, concise, and genuine answers…it’s rough. The Ohio State University is also my IS. I hope we all get accepted so we can be classmates for the C/O 2028

**Also I’m on UPenn Interview waitlist.

• Care

I’m very visibly gay and have heard not great things about acceptance and even physical safety on the islands.

Also the attrition rate gives me pause.

More personal and less important reason as I know the island schools would still make me a vet, but I want to prove to myself that I can get in stateside as well— but I’d still apply if it was just that.

Last edited:
  • Care
This is my 3rd cycle applying to vet school. The last two cycles I only applied to 3 schools and got rejected each year by every school. This year I decided to widen my pool and apply to 16 schools (RIP bank account). I have been rejected by all expect 5 schools, which is honestly a big improvement from the last two cycles.
I have already interviewed with Long Island and Kansas State. I think my interviews went okay but I know okay will not be enough to beat 400 other interviewees so I’m not feeling too great about them. Looking forward to my interviews with tOSU on 1/27, Mississippi State on 1/30! Ugh sometimes I feel like those interviews are just way too short. I’m a talker and I love to make those short stories long 😂 that’s what I’ve currently been practicing on in my mock interviews. Coming up with quick, concise, and genuine answers…it’s rough. The Ohio State University is also my IS. I hope we all get accepted so we can be classmates for the C/O 2028

**Also I’m on UPenn Interview waitlist.
I keep telling myself it isn’t over till it’s over 😂
Seriously congrats though on all the interviews! I think we’re our own worst critics and I definitely relate on my normal interview feedback being “I’m a talker” so I’ve been trying so hard to “wrap it up” lol.

Wishing you the best of luck!! 💕

Have you considered possibly (if this cycle does not work out for you) moving to wherever your husband goes for his PhD and then establishing residency in that state and applying as an IS applicant for that school? I know it adds extra time and money and effort to going but often applying IS vs OOS for many schools offers you a smaller applicant pool/better chances. I hope it works out for you!!

Have you considered possibly (if this cycle does not work out for you) moving to wherever your husband goes for his PhD and then establishing residency in that state and applying as an IS applicant for that school? I know it adds extra time and money and effort to going but often applying IS vs OOS for many schools offers you a smaller applicant pool/better chances. I hope it works out for you!!

Thank you! We will just go to our in state in that case and I’ll try again.

I never applied to Island schools because I couldn’t take a horse there with me. If not for that I might have considered applying.

My class at ISU has some students who just transferred in from island schools this semester, 2 from Ross and 1 from SGU. I also know the class above me has a Ross transfer student. Something to think about as a possibility.

I’m very visibly gay and have heard not great things about acceptance and even physical safety on the islands.

Also the attrition rate gives me pause.

More personal and less important reason as I know the island schools would still make me a vet, but I want to prove to myself that I can get in stateside as well— but I’d still apply if it was just that.
echoing this - it is not safe for gay or trans people. I have to consider this because of an immediate family member who would need to come with me. thank you for pointing this out- many have been surprised when I've expressed this concern. I applied to one island school this round, not realizing the extent. I also will add that this has impacted where I've applied stateside as well, but I digress.

agreed on the attrition rate, esp due to accelerated program and distance from home and support system... and adding the possibility of additional debt because of a failed attempt at vet school.

that being said, I know many great vets from both of the most discussed island schools, so I think a great education is very possible.

Reactions: 3 users

I didn't apply to island schools because I have a family and it is very very difficult for them to work or do much of anything while you are going to school. I used to think I would apply to St. George's but when I looked into my partner being able to get a work visa the process was incredibly difficult and wouldn't make sense for us. I also saw that the debt load was higher, so it didn't make sense to move somewhere my partner couldn't work and I was taking on more debt to add to our mortgage and other stuff we need to pay off. That just didn't make financial sense to us.
With my child, they will be slightly older so I don't want to completely uproot their education when I go to do mine. Sometimes international credits and stuff don't transfer over to high schools in the US, so I don't want to mess up their future for the sake of my own.

Because it is illegal to be trans the places there are island vet schools so not worth the risk for me.

I am on the same boat, only got acceptance to Ross. I am unsure of what to do because although the school seems great and I know tons of amazing doctors who were previous Rossies, I’m scared of the lowering NAVLE scores.. The next accreditation evaluation is in 2025 and I’m scared of going into a large debt just for the school to lose accreditation. So as of right now I am unsure of what to do.

This cycle was my first. I only applied to 4 schools, but looking back I should have done more and I should have done more research on what the schools accepted in the past. My GPA is good and I have a lot of animal experience, but I think I need to build on my veterinary experience more. I have some stuff lined up and some ideas on where to go from here, but its still frustrating nonetheless to know I have to go through the whole process again. Fingers crossed for getting in next cycle!!🤞🤞

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
And Illinois worded their rejection low-key passive aggressive .

“As a result, we advise that alternate plans be made for the upcoming year.”

Gee, thanks.
Hey I received that email and I was this close to get offended lol You could be nicer...? The overall wording and tone of that rejection letter was hard...

I am on the same boat, only got acceptance to Ross. I am unsure of what to do because although the school seems great and I know tons of amazing doctors who were previous Rossies, I’m scared of the lowering NAVLE scores.. The next accreditation evaluation is in 2025 and I’m scared of going into a large debt just for the school to lose accreditation. So as of right now I am unsure of what to do.
Excuse my snooping in this thread, being chronically online is my stress outlet. But if you are attending a school and they lose accreditation, you still get to finish and graduate with an accredited DVM :) The school is just not allowed to take in MORE students.

I’m doing a file review for Virginia Maryland thus far! They are not in one area of vet med, no.

~200 hours of non-profit farm volunteer experience. This farm also had some wildlife and exotics

~60 hours of hands on equine performing dental flotations, administering medications and vaccine, learning how to do jugular injections, etc

~600 hours of shadowing small animal shelter medicine

~30 hours of hands on beef cattle experience doing pregnancy palpitations, semen collection, vaccine administration, etc

-32 hours of hands on vaccine clinic experience (pre vet society at my school does a vaccine clinic about once a year to help underrepresented community afford vet medicine)

-6 hours of necropsy lab where pre vet society veterinarian advisor walks us through necropsies and allows us to practice spay and neuter

There are other random experiences that I put in VMCAS as well such as the time the pre vet society vet let us perform neuters by ourselves on trap and release spay kittens as well as non vet related volunteer hours.
Hey! I popped in here as a 3rd time applicant with 2/3 rejections so far this cycle (waiting to hear back from IS following interview) and wanted to offer some feedback. Most of your experience isn’t hands-on. The bulk of your in clinic experience was shadowing, which isn’t bad, but isn’t on par with working or volunteering hands-on. I would suggest getting a job either in a clinic or research lab, working under a vet, since that’s where your interests lie.

Also, I am pretty sure it’s illegal for someone without a veterinary degree to perform a surgery, especially alone, so I would recommend you leave that out of your application. I had a similar experience, albeit only a small portion of the surgery and under doctor supervision, and my pre-vet advisor said definitely don’t mention that in applications.

Do you have any non-animal work and/or leadership experience?

Overall, with some more hands-on clinical experience, I think you have an excellent shot next cycle if you don’t get into any of your remaining schools. Good luck!

Also, I am pretty sure it’s illegal for someone without a veterinary degree to perform a surgery, especially alone, so I would recommend you leave that out of your application. I had a similar experience, albeit only a small portion of the surgery and under doctor supervision, and my pre-vet advisor said definitely don’t mention that in applications.
Lol I met another pre-vet student through volunteering and she mentioned how her clinic let her assist on or even perform surgeries (she was my age and had no qualifications). I remember complaining to one of the vets I worked with about feeling super behind in experience because my clinic didn’t let me do anything like that. The vet made a weird face and said “uhhh…I think that’s illegal.”

Hey! I popped in here as a 3rd time applicant with 2/3 rejections so far this cycle (waiting to hear back from IS following interview) and wanted to offer some feedback. Most of your experience isn’t hands-on. The bulk of your in clinic experience was shadowing, which isn’t bad, but isn’t on par with working or volunteering hands-on. I would suggest getting a job either in a clinic or research lab, working under a vet, since that’s where your interests lie.

Do you have any non-animal work and/or leadership experience?

Overall, with some more hands-on clinical experience, I think you have an excellent shot next cycle if you don’t get into any of your remaining schools. Good luck!

Most of my experience is shadowing, but all of my large animal experience is hands on, and I forgot to mention the small animal hands on experience I have as well as my leadership experience (pre vet society presidents, phi kappa phi vice president. I also forgot to mention here my job as a teaching assistant for a biology class taught by a veterinarian, all of the volunteering that I did. As for the neuter thing, one of the vets I do most of my stuff with is on Ohio’s interview/application committee and she highly recommended I put that. Lmao idek at this point tbh.

Lol I met another pre-vet student through volunteering and she mentioned how her clinic let her assist on or even perform surgeries (she was my age and had no qualifications). I remember complaining to one of the vets I worked with about feeling super behind in experience because my clinic didn’t let me do anything like that. The vet made a weird face and said “uhhh…I think that’s illegal.”

Like I’m just going off what experiences my vet gave me and what she told me to say here. Vet schools be like, “We want you to be very hands on, but not tooooo hands on, you know? You’ve got to find that Goldilocks zone sweet spot.”

Most of my experience is shadowing, but all of my large animal experience is hands on, and I forgot to mention the small animal hands on experience I have as well as my leadership experience (pre vet society presidents, phi kappa phi vice president. I also forgot to mention here my job as a teaching assistant for a biology class taught by a veterinarian, all of the volunteering that I did. As for the neuter thing, one of the vets I do most of my stuff with is on Ohio’s interview/application committee and she highly recommended I put that. Lmao idek at this point tbh.
If you guys did spay and neuter practice on a dead animal during a necropsy, that is probably not illegal. I reread your post and that is what it sounds like you did. Also if you work in research, you can perform A LOT more surgeries and other procedures without a DVM or a CVT license because you are performing it on animals the place you work for owns. So like I work at a primate center and we are able to be trained to do way more than the average worker. I know how to do dental prophies, surgery monitoring, bandage changes and wound evals, IV fluid set up and admin, amongst other things. And our CVTs perform basic amputations and lots and lots of wound closures. In my state those things are generally only done by Vets due to the liability issues with doing those things to a clients pet.

Like I’m just going off what experiences my vet gave me and what she told me to say here. Vet schools be like, “We want you to be very hands on, but not tooooo hands on, you know? You’ve got to find that Goldilocks zone sweet spot.”
I’m just popping in to say that I was rejected 3 cycles in a row, but got in this 4th cycle. Honestly, the biggest difference between those three application cycles and the current one was a significant amount of hours working as a vet assistant.

I thought my shadowing hours were rather hands-on (restraining, occasionally allowed to take TPRs during appointments, drawing up vaccines). But then I got a job as a vet assistant (in surgery) and it’s a world of difference. It really boosted my confidence, my knowledge of the field and my hands-on skills. I was also able to get two glowing LORs from two vets I work with there.

I highly, highly, highly recommend you look into getting a job as a vet assistant. If you up those hands-on hours in a clinic setting, I’m sure you’ll have a much more competitive application.

If you guys did spay and neuter practice on a dead animal during a necropsy, that is probably not illegal. I reread your post and that is what it sounds like you did. Also if you work in research, you can perform A LOT more surgeries and other procedures without a DVM or a CVT license because you are performing it on animals the place you work for owns. So like I work at a primate center and we are able to be trained to do way more than the average worker. I know how to do dental prophies, surgery monitoring, bandage changes and wound evals, IV fluid set up and admin, amongst other things. And our CVTs perform basic amputations and lots and lots of wound closures. In my state those things are generally only done by Vets due to the liability issues with doing those things to a clients pet.

We did practice spay and neuter during necropsy labs, but we also performed neuter on live animals. They were strays that we were doing a trap and release program on, and the surgeries were performed at the vet’s house (she runs a small clinic out of her home. She essentially built her basement into a little clinic).

I’m just popping in to say that I was rejected 3 cycles in a row, but got in this 4th cycle. Honestly, the biggest difference between those three application cycles and the current one was a significant amount of hours working as a vet assistant.

I thought my shadowing hours were rather hands-on (restraining, occasionally allowed to take TPRs during appointments, drawing up vaccines). But then I got a job as a vet assistant (in surgery) and it’s a world of difference. It really boosted my confidence, my knowledge of the field and my hands-on skills. I was also able to get two glowing LORs from two vets I work with there.

I highly, highly, highly recommend you look into getting a job as a vet assistant. If you up those hands-on hours in a clinic setting, I’m sure you’ll have a much more competitive application.

No I agree my experiences are what need the most work. I just wish going into this I knew that vet schools care more about being a full time vet assistant and less about being a full time student. 🥲

No I agree my experiences are what need the most work. I just wish going into this I knew that vet schools care more about being a full time vet assistant and less about being a full time student. 🥲
I disagree with a blanket statement that shadowing hours are less important than vet assistant or tech hours. Both are valuable You learn a lot from directly shadowing a vet. You are seeing exactly what being a vet entails. That’s not to say that being an assistant is not also a valuable experience It’s just different.

I realize that this application cycle has been disappointing to date for you. I’d try as hard as you can to let the rejections go and not obsess on what if’s at this point. Put yourself in a positive frame of mind for your Ohio State interview. Talk with your mentors for advice on Ohio State’s interview process.

Worst case scenario and you need to reapply next cycle, do application reviews with all of the schools that offer them Since you recognize you want to broaden your experience hours, look for positions in the area of vet med that most interest you or that you feel lacking in for the summer.

Best of luck

I disagree with a blanket statement that shadowing hours are less important than vet assistant or tech hours. Both are valuable You learn a lot from directly shadowing a vet. You are seeing exactly what being a vet entails. That’s not to say that being an assistant is not also a valuable experience It’s just different.

I realize that this application cycle has been disappointing to date for you. I’d try as hard as you can to let the rejections go and not obsess on what if’s at this point. Put yourself in a positive frame of mind for your Ohio State interview. Talk with your mentors for advice on Ohio State’s interview process.

Worst case scenario and you need to reapply next cycle, do application reviews with all of the schools that offer them Since you recognize you want to broaden your experience hours, look for positions in the area of vet med that most interest you or that you feel lacking in for the summer.

Best of luck

Thank you! People around me keep reminding me that I cannot change the past and the “what if I did…” statements I keep making are getting me nowhere. They also keep reminding me that I do have an interview at Ohio and that if I keep up with this mindset I will get rejected because I’ll be so nervous and negative during the interview that I’ll falter (and they’re completely right). I do have an application review with VMCVM in February and I’ll take what they have to say to heart if this cycle I don’t get in. Thanks for all the advice everyone! I’ll try my hardest to stop fretting and do my best on interview day

• Care
I was very naive when I first applied to vet school thinking 250 shadowed hours was enough, so I understand the feeling. I had no clue that my peers already had hundreds, maybe even over a thousand, hours when they applied. Even in these two years after undergrad, I’ve caught myself thinking “if only I did xyz in undergrad then maybe I would have gotten in already.”

Easy to think about what you would have changed with the knowledge you have now. Keep your chin up, you’ve got this!

I was very naive when I first applied to vet school thinking 250 shadowed hours was enough, so I understand the feeling. I had no clue that my peers already had hundreds, maybe even over a thousand, hours when they applied. Even in these two years after undergrad, I’ve caught myself thinking “if only I did xyz in undergrad then maybe I would have gotten in already.”

Easy to think about what you would have changed with the knowledge you have now. Keep your chin up, you’ve got this!
I really feel this. I applied this year with 270 hours shadowing as my only vet experience and it’s been rough… I didn’t know until the middle of my second year of undergrad that I needed any experience at all and I’ve been struggling to make up for it while also trying to keep up with classes. Planning to get more hours this summer and reapply even though it’s daunting! Can’t focus on what ifs and should’ves

Don’t beat yourself up too much! I have the opposite issue - 3.54 cGPA but 7000+ clinical veterinary experience hours alone and I’m on my third application cycle! I’ve made it on a waitlist each year but not accepted, yet. There’s so many of us who are going through what you are and know how you’re feeling. You still have a shot at Ohio and even if you have to reapply, with some extra experience under your belt, I think you will get in somewhere.

I received another rejection today. Starting to feel like this is not for me. We all have competitive applications....yet there are so few seats and perhaps an applicant backup from the pandemic, and people applying at age 30+. What decision components are you all using to continue and apply yet another cycle? This year would be my third cycle - why on earth would I do this beyond 3 cycles? Why should I do it a 3rd cycle? Where are the statistics that say 3rd time is the charm?

Last edited:
  • Care
I received another rejection today. Starting to feel like this is not for me. We all have competitive applications....yet there are so few seats and perhaps an applicant backup from the pandemic, and people applying at age 30+. What decision components are you all using to continue and apply yet another cycle? This year would be my third cycle - why on earth would I do this beyond 3 cycles? Why should I do it a 3rd cycle? Where are the statistics that say 3rd time is the charm?
Honestly, this could have been me writing this 2 years ago during my 3rd time applying. During that cycle I kept saying I was done, it was rejection after rejection and it was looking hopeless once again. I really went through a reality and life crisis. I asked myself multiple times how could this be worth it....when would it be my turn?? WHY! And randomly I just happened to get on the waitlist for Iowa. I ended up being superrrr low (like 236/265) so almost .00000001% chance of getting off but it lit a fire in me again. I actually spoke to someone at ISU and they recommended their comparative biomedical sciences masters to me but I couldn't move to Iowa just to put all my eggs in that one basket. I ended up finding an almost identical masters through my in-state and chose to do that instead and try to kill it.

I did a lot of soul searching from that last cycle and picked out the pieces of my application I felt I could try and improve on and worked from there:
- GPA
- Essays

I already have a ton of experience, I've worked at a variety of hospitals and my GPA has certainly been what has held me back this whole time (I wish I could slap undergrad me upside the head) but I think the soul-searching helped me come to terms with this. I told myself I was going to do this last masters program and put my all into my last application cycle (this current one) and make sure everything was top notch, essays, timeline, interviews, etc.

I managed to pull my GPA up with my masters a fair bit which shocked me, and with the extra time and effort I spent on my application, this cycle is a complete turn around from all my others. I went from getting pretty much rejected EVERYWHERE, IMMEDIATELY, to getting 5 interviews this cycle, currently on 1 waitlist for a program, and still waiting to hear back from 3 schools who don't interview. While I know nothing is certain and it still could very much not work out this cycle, I think the success I have seen so far has already re-energized me if I need to apply again.

I definitely don't think it's ideal and I totally understand how much emotional/mental energy that goes into applying but I can wholeheartedly say that the perseverance I see pre-vet students display is an amazing strength!! At the end of the day only you can determine when enough is enough. Don't feel pressured to apply again if you'd rather do anything else but fill out VMCAS apps. That cycle break I took was a HUGE difference in my mindset. I was so much more organized this time, I have a whole spreadsheet that tracked my apps, passwords, etc. I promise you that there was a year where I feel like the admissions committee probably read how frustrated and tired I was in my essays...I felt like I had been pressured by friends and family to apply that year and it was only to my detriment. Ultimately there is unfortunately no official stats on re-applicants, so we'll never be able to see what modicum of success people might have in reapplying.

Overall, I am so proud of you and I know you have put in a ton of work. ♥️ I am so sorry you received another rejection. If you ever want to chat more personally my inbox is open!! I'm happy to share all the feelings I went through with applying so many times.

• Care
Reactions: 11 users
Honestly, this could have been me writing this 2 years ago during my 3rd time applying. During that cycle I kept saying I was done, it was rejection after rejection and it was looking hopeless once again. I really went through a reality and life crisis. I asked myself multiple times how could this be worth it....when would it be my turn?? WHY! And randomly I just happened to get on the waitlist for Iowa. I ended up being superrrr low (like 236/265) so almost .00000001% chance of getting off but it lit a fire in me again. I actually spoke to someone at ISU and they recommended their comparative biomedical sciences masters to me but I couldn't move to Iowa just to put all my eggs in that one basket. I ended up finding an almost identical masters through my in-state and chose to do that instead and try to kill it.

I did a lot of soul searching from that last cycle and picked out the pieces of my application I felt I could try and improve on and worked from there:
- GPA
- Essays

I already have a ton of experience, I've worked at a variety of hospitals and my GPA has certainly been what has held me back this whole time (I wish I could slap undergrad me upside the head) but I think the soul-searching helped me come to terms with this. I told myself I was going to do this last masters program and put my all into my last application cycle (this current one) and make sure everything was top notch, essays, timeline, interviews, etc.

I managed to pull my GPA up with my masters a fair bit which shocked me, and with the extra time and effort I spent on my application, this cycle is a complete turn around from all my others. I went from getting pretty much rejected EVERYWHERE, IMMEDIATELY, to getting 5 interviews this cycle, currently on 1 waitlist for a program, and still waiting to hear back from 3 schools who don't interview. While I know nothing is certain and it still could very much not work out this cycle, I think the success I have seen so far has already re-energized me if I need to apply again.

I definitely don't think it's ideal and I totally understand how much emotional/mental energy that goes into applying but I can wholeheartedly say that the perseverance I see pre-vet students display is an amazing strength!! At the end of the day only you can determine when enough is enough. Don't feel pressured to apply again if you'd rather do anything else but fill out VMCAS apps. That cycle break I took was a HUGE difference in my mindset. I was so much more organized this time, I have a whole spreadsheet that tracked my apps, passwords, etc. I promise you that there was a year where I feel like the admissions committee probably read how frustrated and tired I was in my essays...I felt like I had been pressured by friends and family to apply that year and it was only to my detriment. Ultimately there is unfortunately no official stats on re-applicants, so we'll never be able to see what modicum of success people might have in reapplying.

Overall, I am so proud of you and I know you have put in a ton of work. ♥️ I am so sorry you received another rejection. If you ever want to chat more personally my inbox is open!! I'm happy to share all the feelings I went through with applying so many times.
I need to sit with this grief and see if I can do this again. How can we read about the lack of veterinarians at the same time watching vet schools send out rejections because each school has an incoming class of 120ish students? This is a "system problem" that is impacting me and my mental health. If they didn't like me twice I'm having a really hard time believing they'll like me the third time. I REALLY appreciate you taking time out of your day to write me a reply, it means A LOT.

• Care
I need to sit with this grief and see if I can do this again. How can we read about the lack of veterinarians at the same time watching vet schools send out rejections because each school has an incoming class of 120ish students? This is a "system problem" that is impacting me and my mental health. If they didn't like me twice I'm having a really hard time believing they'll like me the third time. I REALLY appreciate you taking time out of your day to write me a reply, it means A LOT.
At the end of the day I want you to know it's not about YOU. That was a hard truth I had to come to terms with. It is easy to see who we are as people, to know all the experiences and things we have been through and just not understand how we are having such a hard time getting in etc. But ultimately I had to come to terms with the reality that it's not about us personally. This doesn't detract from who we are and how much we belong in the field or how great of an applicant we are. I've seen people I would consider perfect applicants get denied, etc.

There is overall a large systemic issue in vet med across a variety of things, shortage of support staff or lack of livable wages for support staff being the biggest piece because vets cannot vet without support staff. It doesn't matter if we need more vets when we cannot support the staff required to bring on an additional vet. Amongst the debt crisis, mental health crisis and other very large prevalent veterinary issues, it is not an easy path to walk. ♥️ There are unfortunately no easy answers to this problem. What helped me a bit was knowing that my application probably wasn't landing on the same person's desk every time I applied. Especially this year I have met some incredibly interviewers that completely understood where I was coming from because they walked the same path as me and then I also met some interviewers who I didn't vibe with because maybe they don't see my story the same way I do.

If you do ever want to chat about your application specifics and pick my brain on the schools I applied to and which I regret feel free! I really spent a lot of time trying to tailor my application this year. And finally, if you do choose to not apply again, please don't feel bad about it!! Going through multiple application cycles is a testament to how dedicated you are, how strong you are to do it!!! I believe in you and where ever your path leads you!

I understand your frustration completely. It’s taken me 4 tries to get it, and this year I only bothered applying to one school because I was tired of forking out hundreds of dollars to be rejected. I’m sending you some good vibes.

The only reason why I’ve kept going and applying every year is because when I was either a sophomore or junior in undergrad (nearly 4 or 5 years ago!) a veterinarian gave a lecture during a pre-vet club meeting about starting her own clinic and her journey to vet school. She said this so nonchalantly, but I’ll never forget her response to interviewers asking her what she would do if she didn’t get in: “Apply again and you’ll see me next year, and the next year, and the next until I get in.” I took these words to heart and decided that I would keep going until I get in. I’ve been frustrated, I’ve cried, I’ve vented to friends and family (and even the vets I work with).

There’s nothing wrong with taking a year off to just not deal with the stress of applications, there’s nothing wrong with being frustrated, and there’s nothing wrong with picking yourself up and trying again until you get in. Good luck in your future endeavors!

• Care