2023-2024 Baptist University College of Osteopathic Medicine (BUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I interviewed October 26 and they said that they would start making phone calls starting November 1. Has anyone heard anything or any changes from that those who interviewed later?

Members don't see this ad.

Yup it should start coming out by this Friday

I know the heavy screen beforehand is true. Just not 100% about secondary = II

As of 11/1, there were about 1600 applicants and 160 interviews.
Where can I find these numbers?

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone who had the interview already know if they mentioned if they're going to give materials for boards exams (or anything really about boards prep), if classes are P/F or graded, and whether it seemed as if staff were supportive of students especially since it is a new school. Thank you again!

Oh they mentioned a few times 150 maybe things have changed, ok thx!
I think per COCA class size requirements I think it would have to be less than 150. They gradually increase their class size every year for a new school

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone who had the interview already know if they mentioned if they're going to give materials for boards exams (or anything really about boards prep), if classes are P/F or graded, and whether it seemed as if staff were supportive of students especially since it is a new school. Thank you again!
They explained that they're going to help us with board exams and give us preparation time. They decided that classes should be graded to give student an opportunity to stand out since the steps are P/F. Staff seemed very supportive of students and excited to start working with them.

Yes the program for COMLEX is going to be included in tuition. (Forgot which system) Classes are not P/F because they wanted something to set students apart from others since COMLEX will be P/F. They seem like they will provide a lot of support. There will be resources for mental health, parents, academics etc..

They explained that they're going to help us with board exams and give us preparation time. They decided that classes should be graded to give student an opportunity to stand out since the steps are P/F. Staff seemed very supportive of students and excited to start working with them.
Yes the program for COMLEX is going to be included in tuition. (Forgot which system) Classes are not P/F because they wanted something to set students apart from others since COMLEX will be P/F. They seem like they will provide a lot of support. There will be resources for mental health, parents, academics etc..
Thank you guys for the information. I appreciate it!

Yup it should start coming out by this Friday

I know the heavy screen beforehand is true. Just not 100% about secondary = II

As of 11/1, there were about 1600 applicants and 160 interviews.
Yeah, that ratio sounds par for the course for a DO school. I got a pamphlet from Marian and their CO26 stats were 4890 apps to 505 interviews.

But only 1600 apps??? I get that it's a brand new school, but that number seems quite low by comparison.

Yeah, that ratio sounds par for the course for a DO school. I got a pamphlet from Marian and their CO26 stats were 4890 apps to 505 interviews.

But only 1600 apps??? I get that it's a brand new school, but that number seems quite low by comparison.

Yeah I was super surprised when I heard the numbers too

Members don't see this ad :)
For those that have interviews coming up, could you ask these following questions to the deans for me?

1) What is the relationship between BUCOM and Baptist Memorial Health?
-Will BUCOM graduates be favored for a residency spot at any of their hospitals with a residency program?
-I guess what I want to know is... are they actually pretty tight? or is bucom just trying to make the relationship seem more close than it really is to use it as a selling point

2) How is the inaugral class eligible for a federal loan?
-Everywhere I've looked, it says that the school needs to be fully accredited for its student to get the federal loan. I'm sorta wondering if there is a catch that they are not telling us about

3) How is 1st and 2nd year courses scheduled?
-Is it block schedule? (I really hope its block schedule bc I would hate to have a cumulative final at the end of each semester)
-How many exams per week? (I wondering if they are going to do many tests that are worth little or few tests that are worth alot)
-Will we be given some time during the 2nd year dedicated for boards studying?

If you could ask these questions in this order (bc you speak to the dean of clinical affairs, financial aid officer and dean of academic affairs in that order), I'd be sooooooooo grateful! I honestly should have asked these question on my interview day but I was so nervous I just forgot lol.

THank you in advance!
1: The relationship is very good. I believe they said we are given priority within the baptist memorial health system for residency. It really does seem that they are tight with baptist health. However, this was them speaking to us and not baptist memorial speaking to us so if it is just a selling point lie, it would be impossible to know. Seems legit though.

2: I wasn't really paying attention to this part because it doesn't apply to me, but I believe they said they are expecting to get the ability to be approved for federal loans by around January or so. Take this with a grain of salt because I was distracted.

3: There will be frequent tests. I believe they said weekly or every other week. The tests will cover one section of material, and the next test will cover the rest. I also believe it will be one test per week. They go over the course schedule in depth during the interview day so you will get a presentation on it. The classes are heavier monday-wednesday with a lighter load on thursday and friday with the intention of giving extra time for studying. I believe they said there would be time dedicated to studying for the board second year, however, I could be misremembering. They did say there is a study prep service they are aligned with to help prepare us for it.

Can anyone tell me how the interview was here? Are there only in-person interviews, or will there be virtual options? How was the facility?

Can anyone tell me how the interview was here? Are there only in-person interviews, or will there be virtual options? How was the facility?
My interview is soon, but there are not any virtual options, I asked.

There aren’t any virtual options. The faculty was actually very nice and friendly

Those of you who said we would hear back this week, do you know if we are getting word “on Friday” or “by Friday” lol because there is a difference and I’ve been on edge all week.

Those of you who said we would hear back this week, do you know if we are getting word “on Friday” or “by Friday” lol because there is a difference and I’ve been on edge all week.

By Friday! As long as you interviewed prior to this week. Im on edge too

Reactions: 1 users
For us they said "next week" so I guess that could mean by Friday. However, Saturday is veterans day and I know many places are observing the holiday on Friday and are not working that day.

Every time I get a notification that I receive an email I am paranoid it is from them, meaning it's a rejection.

For us they said "next week" so I guess that could mean by Friday. However, Saturday is veterans day and I know many places are observing the holiday on Friday and are not working that day.

Every time I get a notification that I receive an email I am paranoid it is from them, meaning it's a rejection.

I’m the exact same way, constantly refreshing my email or hoping for a call from a 901 number

Hope you guys hear good news soon!

How long after the secondary would I hear back for an II?

At this point they should have just said on Friday😂 I’m going crazy waiting..

At this point they should have just said on Friday😂 I’m going crazy waiting..
Right at my interview they said starting 11/01 so I’ve been on edge since then 😅 they would have been better off not telling me a date

We made it this far yall, TOMORROW IS THE DAY

• Wow
Is anyone afraid or getting more information about the fact that only private loans are available versus federal loans? Please share more on your thoughts for this…

Is anyone afraid or getting more information about the fact that only private loans are available versus federal loans? Please share more on your thoughts for this…
I thought they said they are expecting to get federal loans approval in time for the first class?

so i submitted my primary early in sept, send updates after cause i did a few things after submission and just got a secondary today? is it worth submitting?

so i submitted my primary early in sept, send updates after cause i did a few things after submission and just got a secondary today? is it worth submitting?
yes they got back to me very quick with an II

• Care
The way my heart just stopped from that email 😨 I thought that was it 💀💀

Reactions: 2 users