2023-2024 William Carey University College of Osteopathic Medicine (WCUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I am very interested in many students clubs, what's the recommended number of clubs we can join and do we have to wait after our orientation to become a member?
you can't joint clubs at Carey until after you pass the first round of exams in the fall. you can't run for an executive board of a club generally until OMS2! if there is like a national organization that has a student membership, you can join that after you matriculate!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Did anyone else have an interview today? Are the interviews currently for the waitlist, it's very late in the cycle

Did anyone else have an interview today? Are the interviews currently for the waitlist, it's very late in the cycle
I had an interview today! One of my interviewers said that the class was full but also was saying that there is alot of movement so not to worry. Basically made it sound like spots can open up before they even make decisions and if not it will soon

Members don't see this ad :)
I had an interview today! One of my interviewers said that the class was full but also was saying that there is alot of movement so not to worry. Basically made it sound like spots can open up before they even make decisions and if not it will soon
Oh really that is good to know! I just thought because the final payment deadline was May 9th, we would not see much movement! Hope your interview went well! Best of luck!

any thoughts on ivy row apartments? is it geared more towards USM undergrad students? do a lot of the med students live there? and if so, how is it?

Also if anyone is still looking for housing I def recommend the met! I was able to visit a few apartments recently and the met was def the nicest imo! I think it’s slightly more expensive than the rest but it seemed worth it with how peaceful and nice it was!

Also if anyone is still looking for housing I def recommend the met! I was able to visit a few apartments recently and the met was def the nicest imo! I think it’s slightly more expensive than the rest but it seemed worth it with how peaceful and nice it was!
Currently looking at The Met

Breckenridge is also super nice! Very cheap!

Members don't see this ad :)
How forgiving is the school during fall semester of OMS 1?
Are there retake?
Does the school try to help you with academic advice?

How forgiving is the school during fall semester of OMS 1?
Are there retake?
Does the school try to help you with academic advice?
Forgiving, you can retake exams the first two blocks, for example if you retake block 1 you cannot retake block 2 for the same class, and yes we have counselors if need be

Park West, reserve and met ..seem to be nice. The good thing I liked about met is that it has elevator in every building ( 4 floors) and close to to the shopping ..

Do you know why the attrition rates are high? Or is that normal?
That’s normal for all med schools
if you google, "med school attrition rates," the second search result down is data from AAMC on 4 year graduation rates across MD programs. which ranges between 16-19%. i've dropped the link here for your convenience! https://www.aamc.org/media/48526/download

if you google "DO school attrition rates," the fourth search result down is data from AACOMAS on attrition rates across de-identified DO schools, which is a little bit more dense to sort through, but reflects the nuance of attrition as I mention below. i've dropped that link here for your convenience as well! https://www.aacom.org/docs/default-...rition-report-2019-2022.pdf?sfvrsn=f4717145_3

i would also mentioned "attrition" is a word that gets loosely thrown around a lot by people that don't really understand what they are speaking about, because it is definable in multiple different ways, and that definition gets lost in the conversation 99% of the time. for example do you define attrition as "who starts medical school and doesn't finish?" or "who starts medical school and doesn't finish in 4 years?" thats why AAMC reports 4 year, 5 year, and 6 year graduation rates, and why the AACOMAS data reflects numerous scenarios in which students don't finish medical school in the standard timeline.

so in full transparency, while carey (and most medical schools) would say their attrition is <10%, they are not including in that 10% students that drop to the next class, take an LOA, etc, or anything that would cause the student to still graduate, but not on the 4 year timeline.

as an anecdotal note, my class started with 207 students in August 2022, and we currently have 180 students in our class that finished this semester. so that would be 180/207 x 100 = 86% or 14%ish who will not graduate with Class of 2026, which lines up pretty well with the AAMC data. (still slightly inaccurate because Class of 2026 has a handful of people who were supposed to graduate with class of 2025). however, i would say 80% of those 14% either took an LOA, dropped to Class of 2027, which means their data would not be included in "attrition" because they will still graduate, just not on the 4 year timeline.

to confuse matters more, my class's 4 year graduation rate will also be confabulated by the fact we have 4 students who are doing the OPP scholars program for a year (kind of like a research year but for specific focus in OMM training) as well as a couple students who are interested in neurosurgery that will be doing 3rd year research years. so that will make our 4 year graduation rate look worse than it actually is too haha

all that to say asking about "attrition" is a pretty ambiguous question that requires a bit more conversation than we usually give it!

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Just curious what the summer research opportunities at WCUCOM are. I see they have a list of programs, mostly out-of-state, but are there any opportunities to stay in Hattiesburg for research for the summer after OMS-1?

Just curious what the summer research opportunities at WCUCOM are. I see they have a list of programs, mostly out-of-state, but are there any opportunities to stay in Hattiesburg for research for the summer after OMS-1?
Following. Are there opportunities for research at carey? How likely do students participate in research and when do most people start working on a research project? i.e for someone wanting to watch into competitive specialty (derm, ophthalmology, ent, etc.) how soon should they start research and does the school help with finding a research placement for students in the summer (in state or out of state) or is that something that we handle on our own?

Following. Are there opportunities for research at carey? How likely do students participate in research and when do most people start working on a research project? i.e for someone wanting to watch into competitive specialty (derm, ophthalmology, ent, etc.) how soon should they start research and does the school help with finding a research placement for students in the summer (in state or out of state) or is that something that we handle on our own?
Definitely methods of getting research, professors have some you apply for, if you find an anomaly in your cadaver (we did!) you get to write a poster on it. My CV I made for a class got me two summer research opportunities back home in a big city, it will fall on you to seek out opportunities and they are there

Reactions: 1 users
Has anyone heard back from the interviews conducted on Monday? They said we would be informed by Wednesday.

Has anyone heard back from the interviews conducted on Monday? They said we would be informed by Wednesday.
Is probably tomorrow since today is when they have their meeting

Last edited:
I haven’t received an email yet. Has anyone else?

I had my interview on Monday...does this mean I didn't make it if they have already moved onto Tuesday people

Do we get an email if we get on the alternate list? I am assuming either way they would have told us about our status, right?

Not sure if anyone answered this already but is there a specific color scrub we need for lab? Thanks!

Received status through email that I am on the alternate list , international