2022 Match Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Not one Harvard Med Grad!

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Not one Harvard Med Grad!

I'm sure this is a really good group. American University Beirut is globally known as an excellent place.

But......I remember interviewing 6 Harvard Med Grads (like 15% if interviewees) for my non-Harvard program during peak radonc.

Speaks more to how stupid it was back then.

Reactions: 7 users
Its crazy how things have changed so rapidly. A few years ago I heard from someone they did not rank a totally qualified applicant because they had a skin condition untreated and chair and a few terrible faculty found it “gross”. Ive seen people get picked apart by what they wore and said, people with great resumes. Now are the times of the warm body and anything with a pulse. Whatever it takes to fill i guess.

Reactions: 1 user
No

Where have all the phds gone?
1647626332121.png

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
So almost all of the spots from that list must have filled, because 8 spots weren't included in the soap from programs likely opting not to participate. Or maybe GynGyn means of the programs that were participating.

Reactions: 1 users
So almost all of the spots from that list must have filled, because 8 spots weren't included in the soap from programs likely opting not to participate. Or maybe GynGyn means of the programs that were participating.
These were participating programs.

Reactions: 2 users
Imagine being unable to fill in soap. This is king of hellpit levels. Would love to know who
Could also be that they didn't actually interview/rank people or only ranked those with RadOnc experience.

On the bright side, might only be 160 PGY2s for 2023.

Dude it’s a fake
They won’t soap now
They will do it under the cover of darkness this summer

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 8 users
Sloan has no Harvard Med students matched. Harvard too. Curious about Anderson.

Is this the true canary?

• Wow
Members don't see this ad :)
Heard from a friend of friend that spratt already fired the people they matched.

Ketchup users, sad to say

• Haha
many people ask me why i am so good at matching my hellpit, let me explain!

Hey, sorry she didn't match and understandably it is a stressful time. There is a current oversupply of residency spots in the US for RadOnc and a lot of people are actively pushing to curb further continued over supply and correct spots. Can't say for sure why she didn't get interviews, but there is also a movement to prevent further oversupply by not interviewing those without experience in the field. Hope things work out for her and judging from her accomplishments, they will.
Words from a med student:

She didn’t edit her personal statements enough to tailor her wants and needs into rad onc. The rad oncs got pickier this year. But I still have a hard time fathoming it.

I'm hoping someone here can answer a question I have regarding this year's SOAP.
I have a student who didn't match in plastics. She had a strong application, a year of productive research and Step scores in excess of 260.
She decided to change her focus and noticed a boatload of open positions at well-recognized universities in your specialty.
She didn't get a single interview in radiation oncology in this year's SOAP.
Can someone explain this to me?

this didnt get enough attention. this is very very very interesting.

sorry for your student, but this should make us somewhat optimistic. im pleasantly surprised

• Hmm
P

sorry for your student, but this should make us somewhat optimistic. im pleasantly surprised
VERY interesting. Like rate of heads inside rectums is on the downswing. Dare I say.

I think this is in line with previous explanations: places in the soap know to only take people who's only other options are prison or car sales.

• Wow
  • Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Stanford matched TWO FMGs. Guess it’s not a top tier program anymore if US grads don’t want to go there

• Haha
I think this is in line with previous explanations: places in the soap know to only take people who's only other options are prison or car sales.
Next year, I plan to tell any high stats SOAPers not to waste one of their 45 choices on rad onc. Am I wrong?

• Care
It’s funny we argue about how our leadership has made the field what it is today. Yet we complain about trying to match candidates with the same criteria year after year?

Next year, I plan to tell any high stats SOAPers not to waste one of their 45 choices on rad onc. Am I wrong?
I would agree with this. There's the inherent uncertainty with the job market, but even worse, they'd be spending their time at a place with a terrible rep and training, with one or two exceptions here or there.

Not at all.... Rad Onc leadership is reaping what they've sowed
They are. My sample is mid to low tier programs, and there are indeed new problems with residents not showing up and quitting

i am a bit confused on why people from Mayo Clinic, Stanford, Yale etc. are trying to enter what many on here seem to call a “dying speciality.” Surely these people could have had their picks?

Maybe they're being gaslit by their mentors, most places counsel in avoiding SDN/Twitter claims. I will say at least in the short term I think the job crisis in the very immediate future (1-3 years) is a bit overblown but there will be a tipping point directly after.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
i am a bit confused on why people from Mayo Clinic, Stanford, Yale etc. are trying to enter what many on here seem to call a “dying speciality.” Surely these people could have had their picks?
You cannot underestimate the weight of institutional culture in those environments.

Medical school being a "meritocracy" is a myth. Yes, some people are there based only on intelligence and work ethic. A lot of people are there because they know the right people and/or they know how to play the game (more likely: they were born 2 steps ahead in the game).

The influence of real-life academic "mentors" in these institutions is often overwhelmingly strong. If you're a 20-something year old kid, who went straight to medical school from undergrad, and the Endowed Professor of Tom Tomington tells you RadOnc is amazing and SDN is full of misanthropic trolls...well, most people aren't ready to buck a system which has rewarded them for respecting the hierarchy their whole life in favor of a message board.

To get into medical school, graduate, get into residency, graduate, and practice specialty medicine in America - that requires an intense mix of focus, dedication, and subservience. The nail that sticks out gets hammered down.

I wouldn't form an opinion on any medical specialty based on the pedigree of the kids matching into it.

• Love
Maybe they're being gaslit by their mentors, most places counsel in avoiding SDN/Twitter claims. I will say at least in the short term I think the job crisis in the very immediate future (1-3 years) is a bit overblown but there will be a tipping point directly after.
It is already here if you are looking in larger FL tx metros or certain parts of Cali. Incredibly tight markets with people mentioning difficulties even this year. Very wide open in Midwest/flyover country

Last edited:
Can anybody pull up the match from say 2013? Little compare and contrast? How many are PhDs?

how many times can this exact post be made? we all know this.

it's supply and demand. any field will be more selective when they have more applicants.

An FMG may be a Luka Doncic and a MD PHD may be a Greg Oden. Please let’s not shame fmgs dos and people note with 300s on step 1
I am not shaming them at all. Just reposting Stanfords tweet. I agree that there are many excellent fmgs. Many come from

Last edited:
An FMG may be a Luka Doncic and a MD PHD may be a Greg Oden. Please let’s not shame fmgs dos and people note with 300s on step 1

I think some of these FMGs who are capitalizing may end up looking quite smart - of course academically but I mean some may be taking the 'buy low' approach, especially if they are willing to work anywhere to maximize income potential.

time will tell

I am not shaming them at all. Just reposting Stanfords tweet.
Sorry didn’t intend to mean you as an individual but sometimes that’s a general sentiment echoed here.

An FMG may be a Luka Doncic and a MD PHD may be a Greg Oden. Please let’s not shame fmgs dos and people not with 300s on step 1
There are two types of IMG/FMG.... Many that are getting into RO now I've seen lately are coming from the Caribbean, not as physicians who did well in their own country or people that went to AIMS in India or something. There is a huge difference and it's disingenuous to suggest otherwise.

Last edited:
  • Love