2022 Match Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jondunn

Membership Revoked
Removed
Reaction score
how many spots will go unfilled? what programs?

make your guess here! we find out next friday

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Resident: Please, please, let me match into IM or Rads, don't let me fall down the rank list too far - I don't want to match to Rad Onc!

There are ways to game the system: Press Your Luck

But in rad onc right now you win by not playing.

Members don't see this ad :)
how many spots will go unfilled? what programs?

make your guess here! we find out next friday
Ear to ground tells me rad onc is developing a

How dare you attack these high quality human beings who SOAP into rad onc.. they are kind and handsome and everything we love in America!

opinion.

Every spot will fill, but maybe not Friday.

Reactions: 6 users
Refer to my hellpit list to answer your own questiion. Usual suspects every year. Hellpits will hellpit folks!

Reactions: 2 users
Programs and applicants found out if they matched/filled or not this morning. Anybody heard how many programs are looking to SOAP this year?

I heard 30+ Unfilled positions. Working on documentation

Reactions: 3 users
I’m surprised people weren’t playing the game better to ensure matches

In PP, but a buddy of mine working at a malignant Midwest program more community -ish told me they didn’t have to soap, but they interviewed people including those that may not even be able to get licensed. Our field has the worst bunch out of any speciality. They’re throwing a parade and the attendings that can’t work without residents are ecstatic .

Needs to be serious reform, clearly soap shaming wasn’t enough they found a work around

• Angry
  • Sad
Reactions: 7 users
I'm going to guess 22 SOAP positions as programs are lowering their standards for interviews and rank list. After running the numbers not all programs are filling every available spot no mater what. There are a total of 815 potential training spots of which 771 have residents enrolled as of 1/12/2022. So about 5% of approved training spots are remaining empty.

Edit: Got my guess in too late!

Members don't see this ad :)
Our mid-tier program matched all of our spots. We will contribute to the growing labor shortage the old fashion way. No SOAPing here :p

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Official NRMP document.

185 spots
36 unfilled

I am afraid to post the document.

• Wow
According to the Reddit spreadsheet:

U of Alabama- 1
Mayo Az- 1
Arkansas-1
Kaiser LA-2
UC Irvine-1
Georgetown-1
Henry Ford-2
U Minn-1
Dartmouth-1
Rutgers-1
SUNY brooklyn-2
SUNY upstate-1
Stony Brook-1
U Rochestor-2
Northwell LIJ-1
Allegheny-1
Thomas Jefferson-1
MUSC-2
Baylor-2
UTSanAntonio-2
UTexas Galveston-1
West Virginia-1
Most if not all of this on my hellpit list

U of Alabama- 1
Mayo Az- 1
Arkansas-1
Kaiser LA-2
UC Irvine-1
Georgetown-1
Henry Ford-2
U Minn-1
Dartmouth-1
Rutgers-1
SUNY brooklyn-2
SUNY upstate-1
Stony Brook-1
U Rochestor-2
Northwell LIJ-1
Allegheny-1
Thomas Jefferson-1
MUSC-2
Baylor-2
UTSanAntonio-2
UTexas Galveston-1
West Virginia-1
This looks like the hellpit list carbon has been asking for. Though Alabama seems a bit of a surprise.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users

U of Alabama- 1
Mayo Az- 1
Arkansas-1
Kaiser LA-2
UC Irvine-1
Georgetown-1
Henry Ford-2
U Minn-1
Dartmouth-1
Rutgers-1
SUNY brooklyn-2
SUNY upstate-1
Stony Brook-1
U Rochestor-2
Northwell LIJ-1
Allegheny-1
Thomas Jefferson-1
MUSC-2
Baylor-2
UTSanAntonio-2
UTexas Galveston-1
West Virginia-1
Only surprise on the list is UAB. But maybe they've changed for the worse?

Anticipate a lot of unsuspecting individuals will be in for a surprise at these hell pits

Last edited:
36 in SOAP maybe the all time record? I recall other recent years were in the low 30's?

Reactions: 1 users
This looks like the hellpit list carbon has been asking for. Though Alabama seems a bit of a surprise.
Maybe they actually cared not to rank anyone with a pulse unlike the hellpits who slipped through and matched ANYONE

Hellpits will hellpit! Nothing to see here folks!

If there is a spot, it will be filled. Its as true here as it is in the seedy corners of the internet.

Reactions: 4 users
22 of 90 programs or 24% in the SOAP. Almost all the above programs could be closed and the specialty would be stronger for it.

Reactions: 10 users
So Brooklyn and Columbia filled their expanded spots ?
Of course they did. They are in NYC. We have established what lengths some people will go to for this geographical area many, many times before.

Of course they did. They are in NYC. We have established what lengths some people will go to for this geographical area many, many times before.
I understand, but so many other programs in nyc that are half way decent that any us md would match into- nyu, mt sinai, einstein,even Rutgers which is in the soap.

Last edited:
Hi everyone, I'm in the situation of having to soap this year, and wanted your guy's input on radonc. I was originally applying derm, but was only able to match into a one year IM prelim. I'm thinking whether its even worth applying to radonc, or just trying to reapply next year to IM PGY2 spots if available.

Hi everyone, I'm in the situation of having to soap this year, and wanted your guy's input on radonc. I was originally applying derm, but was only able to match into a one year IM prelim. I'm thinking whether its even worth applying to radonc, or just trying to reapply next year to IM PGY2 spots if available.

Medicine - your options are basically endless.
Radonc - you will be geographically and modality restricted. You have to love treating cancer patients.

Reactions: 5 users
Medicine - your options are basically endless.
Radonc - you will be geographically and modality restricted. You have to love treating cancer patients.
This is pretty accurate.

If you love treating cancer patients and being home for dinner, rad onc can work very well. Assuming... you are geographically flexible and understand that reimbursement/volume per doc are dropping (and have been for past 2ish decades).

Would recommend looking into all the concerns of the field before making a decision. Good life style and interesting work, possible over supply in the future with programs refusing to close up shop.

I would go for medicine and see if you can work in some derm related research during your residency and possibly reapply after medicine if you wanted

derm and rad onc are very different.

Reactions: 5 users
You can SOAP into a program you'll hate in a specialty that doesn't really interest you.
1647281016980.png

thanks all, will probably reapply next year and forego soap this year

thanks all, will probably reapply next year and forego soap this year

I think that is wise. Do what you love. I don't see any programs on the list above that would be value SOAP positions. The future of rad onc is tough enough, don't handicap yourself.

yeah, maybe if it was an out of match spot at a top program (though that's not really common or expected these days anyways) but other than like UAB, the programs above are not really that great, for one reason or another.

Worse comes to worse, can always reapply to a PGY2 rad onc position next year. I'm sure you'd be a take for someone.

Program did not fill. Program has signed no SOAP pledge and is not participating in SOAP. The program finds it too stressful to pick someone up on SOAP. They also want to look good to the rad onc community.

All non-matching positions will still fill. Any positions that do not fill here are offered to FMGs known to department or anyone else who contacts us outside of match.

• Sad
I understand, but so many other programs in nyc that are half way decent that any us md would match into- nyu, mt sinai, einstein,even Rutgers which is in the soap.
Oh, I didn't look at the list that closely. To me, the only thing surprising would be that any NYC spot went unfilled, not the other way around.

Program did not fill. Program has signed no SOAP pledge and is not participating in SOAP. The program finds it too stressful to pick someone up on SOAP. They also want to look good to the rad onc community.

All non-matching positions will still fill. Any positions that do not fill here are offered to FMGs known to department or anyone else who contacts us outside of match.

Signed No SOAP pledge but still filling non-matching positions? That is sleazy

Last edited:
  • Haha