2022 Match Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
36 in SOAP maybe the all time record? I recall other recent years were in the low 30's?
I think it was 29, 30 something and now 36

Members don't see this ad.

thanks all, will probably reapply next year and forego soap this year
Agree that is the best choice.

Just out of curiousity... have you ever talked to a radiation oncologist or seen a linear accelerator? Its not something you usually come across unless you go out of your way.

If not... I'm not giving you a hard time. I'm honestly curious. I find it intriguing that medical students are actually considering a specialty they know nothing about and will have to practice it for the rest of their life. We know the program directors are happy to accept.

Reactions: 2 users
back in the competitive days, it was not uncommon to meet people considering derm or rad onc. It was pretty weird as fields are vastly different but clearly reflected the kind of people who matched back then with high scores wanting high pay in a large metro area with a cush life. The field is now paying for this sin. You are years late buddy. Derm is not in our level anymore. The truth is these people we matched back then don’t want to live in a rural underserved area. Maybe the criteria should change and its sad it took this for the field to realize this.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
folks - do NOT be alarmed when you see that programs like Baylor (Houston), LIJ, Kaiser all fill. These places are NOT your friends, they LOVE SOAP.

I wouldn't let some of these programs radiate or even match my left nut!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Med students are just not as dumb as the #radoncisgreat crowd would like to believe. I remember in med school when med students wanted to do surgery, the general thought was "only go into it if you absolutely can't see yourself doing anything else." I feel the same way about our field. I have a great job in a great city and I get paid a lot of money to do something that I love.

However, med students just need to search "radiation oncologist jobs" or to take one look at the ASTRO job board (if they have access to it now that it's private) and it's pretty clear why the interest is gone. It's a whose who of places I've never heard of and places I'd never want to be. Every few years, the same hell hole in Iowa or Dakota or wherever that I didn't know existed pops up again. Relatively speaking, I have a dream job, but I wouldn't do it over. I worked too long and too hard to wind up rolling the dice and winding up in Minot or Sioux City.

Search for jobs in any big city in any other field in medicine and you'll at least find SOMETHING advertised. That doesn't mean you'll get that job, it may even be a ****ty job, but at least a job exists. For us, it's "oh there are jobs, they're just not posted so it's super duper important to network." Stop pretending the job market doesn't suck. Just acknowledge it and try to fix it.

Reactions: 8 users
The truth is these people we matched back then don’t want to live in a rural underserved area. Maybe the criteria should change and its sad it took this for the field to realize this.

well said. and I'm guilty of this as I'm sure many of us are who matched in the 'glory days'. we are a particular phenotype. a phenotype which i think is GOOD for rad onc in public facing domains (how many of us have been told wow you're pretty personable for a rad onc!) but we aren't wanting to go to these small towns that do need rad oncs.

it was a catch 22.

Reactions: 1 user

Attachments

• MatchInfograpghicUpdateV2_720.jpg
    MatchInfograpghicUpdateV2_720.jpg
    226.1 KB · Views: 207
  • Wow
Damn, definitely not the same field I remember when I was applying.

When did RadOnc officially "jump the shark"?

Video below for non-boomers...yeah I know...boomers

• Haha
Not even a dead cat bounce. Specialty is laying at the bottom like a rotten rhino corpse

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
Similar story here in a large Midwest city: I think our program may have matched 2 spots, but based on Twitter, neither will have matched a prelim year (a bit like last year)

I’ll find out Friday

Radonc is officially less competitive than a surgical prelim year

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Similar story here in a large Midwest city: I think our program may have matched 2 spots, but based on Twitter, neither will have matched a prelim year (a bit like last year)

I’ll find out Friday

Radonc is officially less competitive than a surgical prelim year
Your program is going to have to beg the IM PD to open up two spots to people they might not touch themselves with a ten foot pole. This is the way.

When did RadOnc officially "jump the shark"?

Video below for non-boomers...yeah I know...boomers

That’s easy, with the Ben Smith paper declaring there was a looming shortage of rad onc docs based off of a bunch of guesses and fancy math.

Things are a bit more laid back in the Caribbean. No rules mon.
I think it's so that they can potentially choose a prelim year based on where they will be doing categorical.

T’was the week of the match. Some clumsy people dropped the soap. Beware of the ides of march folks! May the odds be in your favour, hellpits!

What is incredibly frustrating is that behind closed doors they are literally blaming "SDN", me, sock puppets, COVID, Putin, the Trucker Convoy - everyone - instead of being introspective and trying to fix the problems the field faces.

• Sad
  • Angry
Reactions: 16 users
What is incredibly frustrating is that behind closed doors they are literally blaming "SDN", me, sock puppets, COVID, Putin, the Trucker Convoy - everyone - instead of being introspective and trying to fix the problems the field faces.
You know it. People want the heads of many on this forum, but they need to look in mirror and fix their issues rather than blaming other people for their own s$$$

Reactions: 5 users
These guys don’t blame you

1647357961545.jpeg

• Haha
Behind closed doors?

Bro I'm pretty sure they hired Dog the Bounty Hunter to find you. I'm excited to see the episode!!

1647359751430.png

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Can confirm.

Reactions: 4 users
It's so simple. Just match fewer people. You temporarily created demand by creating supply and now its time to contract. Biggly.

Nearly all med students are smart, but we cull essentially no one once admission occurs. No field or job ever should be matching 99+% of applicants even from US med schools. At least 3% of med studs should probably not be doing clinical medicine for one reason or another.

I don't care about competitiveness by the way. It would be fine if stellar med students rarely went into radonc and mostly average applicants interested in high touch oncology applied....and we took only 100-120 of them. Would be great actually.

Reactions: 9 users

There's only one truth. As a med student, all you can do is hear both sides of the argument and go with whichever side makes a more convincing case. Below are the job postings on the ASTRO site from the last month. If anyone wants to convince me that we have a strong job market then they'd better start working on their sales pitch for the state of Kentucky.

Lexington, KY, United States
Louisville, KY, United States
Jackson, MS, United States
Lakewood, CO, United States
Denver, CO, United States
Sayre, PA, United States
New York, NY, United States [academic, Cornell]
Sioux City, IA, United States
Cleveland, OH, United States
Bardstown, KY, United States
Cooperstown, NY, United States
Dothan, AL, United States
Indianapolis, IN, United States
Richmond, VA, United States
Tucson, AZ, United States
Albuquerque, NM, United States
Jackson, TN, United States

I've heard the argument that "there are jobs they're just not posted" and that "you need to network, like you do in any field." These are symptoms of a bad job market folks! The reason that good jobs don't get advertised is because they don't need to. The reason they don't need to is because we have an oversupply of radiation oncologists and an undersupply of good jobs.

Reactions: 8 users
There's only one truth. As a med student, all you can do is hear both sides of the argument and go with whichever side makes a more convincing case. Below are the job postings on the ASTRO site from the last month. If anyone wants to convince me that we have a strong job market then they'd better start working on their sales pitch for the state of Kentucky.

Sayre, PA, United States

I've heard the argument that "there are jobs they're just not posted" and that "you need to network, like you do in any field." These are symptoms of a bad job market folks! The reason that good jobs don't get advertised is because they don't need to. The reason they don't need to is because we have an oversupply of radiation oncologists and an undersupply of good jobs.
The 2021-22 time frame has been and will be a brief respite from badness. The rate of complaints and horror stories dipped down a little methinks. The 2023-26 time frame is going to be rougher for new grads and all job searchers. The rate of old rad oncs retiring really shot up the last couple of years. The rad onc job market dodged a potentially lethal bullet in APM; that it's gone will have a positive effect on the job market. An increasing reliance on technology in academic centers, and trying to increase indications by irradiating ever more metastatic disease, will also be positive on the job market. Other than these three things, I don't foresee any other upward helpful pressures on the job market however.

Sayre, PA, United States

“ Kentucky is a BEAUTIFUL state. Our senators are a turtle and a guy who cannot get BC and started his own sham board. As a rad onc here we dont care about BC. The ABR may not even let you be BC anyways so don’t fight it. Jump on that horse. The burbon is good. The hemp is good. Life will be good

Ps. We fought for the union so we have been the good guys for a while. Minorities welcomed!”

• Haha
“ Kentucky is a BEAUTIFUL state. Our senators are a turtle and a guy who cannot get BC and started his own sham board. As a rad onc here we dont care about BC. The ABR may not even let you be BC anyways so don’t fight it. Jump on that horse. The burbon is good. The hemp is good. Life will be good

Ps. We fought for the union so we have been the good guys for a while. Minorities welcomed!”
Turtle. 😂

Curious; did he fail the ABO exam? In any case starting your own sham board is baller.

Last edited:

Found this about Rand Paul. He let his BC in ophthalmology lapse in 2005. He started his own board in part as an effort "to have all ophthalmologists re-certify, regardless of age (sounds familiar).” He still has a license to practice in Kentucky and does free surgeries at home on those without insurance and abroad.

Found this about Rand Paul. He let his BC in ophthalmology lapse in 2005. He started his own board in part as an effort "to have all ophthalmologists re-certify, regardless of age (sounds familiar).” He still has a license to practice in Kentucky and does free surgeries at home on those without insurance and abroad.

I hate the guy’s ever shifting politics and spineless way that he behaved after the 2016 election, but i have always had respect for what he tried to attempt with the alternate board certification. He was ahead of his time. I bet if he did it now, would have critical mass, as everyone now understands what trash most of the boards are.

According to the Reddit spreadsheet:

U of Alabama- 1
Mayo Az- 1
Arkansas-1
Kaiser LA-2
UC Irvine-1
Georgetown-1
Henry Ford-2
U Minn-1
Dartmouth-1
Rutgers-1
SUNY brooklyn-2
SUNY upstate-1
Stony Brook-1
U Rochestor-2
Northwell LIJ-1
Allegheny-1
Thomas Jefferson-1
MUSC-2
Baylor-2
UTSanAntonio-2
UTexas Galveston-1
West Virginia-1
In an attempt to try to be helpful to those souls set on soaping into our field, i would focus on

Mayo arizona
UAB
Rochester (only heard good things, hurt by location just like Buffalo)
Kaiser (they get cali jobs)
Henry ford (chair has good reputation)
Dartmouth (as much as i hate it is new, CT is a known good guy)
Rutgers (big maybe)

Ones below Rutgers are total garbage (excluding rochester).

In other news i received a PM regarding a very well known hellpit essentially confirming spots will be soaped which is what we already knew. Most if not all of above will fill

Last edited:
In an attempt to try to be helpful to those souls set on soaping into our field, i would focus on

Mayo arizona
UAB
Rutgers (big maybe)

In other news i received a PM regarding a very well known hellpit essentially confirming spots will be soaped which is what we already knew. Most if not all of above will fill

agree!

Mayo arizona
UAB
Rutgers (big maybe)

At this point any of those programs outside of perhaps UAB are going to be trash for finding a job in 2026+. Let's be honest to any US medical student looking to soap.

At this point any of those programs outside of perhaps UAB are going to be trash for finding a job in 2026+. Let's be honest to any US medical student looking to soap.
There are very few jobs in California and Kaiser grad would still have to compete with Stanford, ucsf ucsd etc. no way most the Kaiser residents get a job in ca.

Has West Virginia ever matched in its entire existence?
They matched once or maybe twice. Their match results since the first class are buried somewhere on here.

There is actually enough program specific data that’s been published on here over the past several years that with an hour or two worth of effort a list can be made of the programs that have been filling unmatched spots in and outside of the SOAP.

There are very few jobs in California and Kaiser grad would still have to compete with Stanford, ucsf ucsd etc. no way most the Kaiser residents get a job in ca.
Simply not true. I’ve interviewed with SoCal Kaiser. They have an extremely strong preference for their own. Look at the people there and where they trained. They work in a unique way and it’s not for everyone. They know the KP residents “get it” so that’s who they tend to hire.

Simply not true. I’ve interviewed with SoCal Kaiser. They have an extremely strong preference for their own. Look at the people there and where they trained. They work in a unique way and it’s not for everyone. They know the KP residents “get it” so that’s who they tend to hire.
I wonder if the converse is also true...
Kaiser grads less likely to get drafted to one of the other cali academic places or PP....

I am sure they hire their own, but will they always have openings?

what is the Kaiser way? idk much about it/them

SDN is the highlight of my career - hopefully helped medstudents from making a disastrous choice. Someday "RickyScott" will be on my resume list of aliases the attorneys have included in the legal brief when the DOJ names me in an antitrust lawsuit.
Fixed it.

Just wanted to drop in and say UAB was a strong program this year, I ranked it pretty highly. Very suprised they are soaping but felt I could be happy and get great training there.