2022 Match Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Wow, I'm late to the game and it's just amazing how little these programs care. Current still jobless PGY-5 here from a "top 10" program. There are very few jobs and the competition is high. If my program decided to fill half their class with FMGs instead of decreasing their spots, that's a big slap on the face. Top applicants in the future should avoid places like Stanford until they show that they care about their residents' future and the quality of their program.
Jobless at the end of March your PGY5 is a very dark place to be....

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
The breadlines are here folks. Some might spin this all they want but they here!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Jobless at the end of March your PGY5 is a very dark place to be....
At same time, can kind of be a hot commodity in some regards. The one senior resident last year who waited ended up getting a job in the best location. Sometimes good opportunities arise later in the year. Of course, many of the same job postings are still there on ASTRO (some of which I interviewed for or applied for )

Reactions: 2 users
Wow, I'm late to the game and it's just amazing how little these programs care. Current still jobless PGY-5 here from a "top 10" program. There are very few jobs and the competition is high. If my program decided to fill half their class with FMGs instead of decreasing their spots, that's a big slap on the face. Top applicants in the future should avoid places like Stanford until they show that they care about their residents' future and the quality of their program.

View attachment 352081

I am sorry you're having a tough time finding a job. I hope you find the right fit soon. If I may ask, are you getting interviews? Are you mostly looking at "hot markets"? Or have you searched widely?

Reactions: 1 user
do you have limitations in geography or type of job (physican scientist or the like?)

good luck, hopefully works out

They filled so they won’t close for now at least

I also received confirmation that another hellpit filled spots in SOAP. so much for “market correction”

• Angry
Reactions: 1 user

Everyone has asked the same question - what's the issue? Have to be somewhere specific? Do you know what are you looking for? I have been very sympathetic to the plight of residents (and have gone on quite a limb about these issues). That being said, it is extremely rare to not have a job that pays at or around the average, if a resident casts a wide net, understands limitations of our field and isn't a jerk/has red flags. Let me know if I can help.

Reactions: 2 users
I've thought about this a lot retrospectively, considering if I was to ever have to re-train in another specialty:

1) By far the most protective characteristic: Have a skill that others can not PHYSICALLY perform; even if legislators change the law to allow others to do it. Obviously, this means procedural fields with the surgical ones being at the top. Even if the diagnostic skills of an NP aren't that great... they can still physically do the job of a hospitalist; even if done poorly.

Of course not every one wants to do surgery. I find it incredibly boring. But some other characteristics:

2) Having a specialty that people will pay CASH for is great for security. It divorces you from the insurance companies.

3) A specialty which you can OWN your own practice, even better if you own the facility. Every time there is a patient encounter/procedure done in that facility, the OWNER is getting either a facility fee or technical revenue in their pocket. If you don't own it... someone else is making money off your back without doing a damn thing. This generally means specialties that have outpatient as an option and are not married to a hospital (like emergency or anesthesia).

4) A specialty where you control the flow of patients. If you control the patient.... you control the cash flow. This is especially pertinent for those specialties where there are a large amount of ancillary tests performed downstream which generate revenue (Oncology).

5) Something that has a certain amount of acuity to it... meaning if not done correctly; there are consequences. You can screw up basic primary care for a long time... so people are ok with a nurse doing it. Not many people would be ok with a nurse directing their cancer treatment.

Of the procedural specialties, I think Plastic Surgery is one of the most protected. You can own your own surgery center, people will pay cash for many procedures. Urology is another great one many don't consider. You won't find many NP surgery centers.

The procedural medicine specialties like GI, Cards, Pulm can have a high volume procedural practice that makes bank.

Not everyone wants to do procedures though. Neurology is not a bad choice. There is great need and it is very complex. I'm sure there are niches where you can make cash. That is the reason Psych is hot, but you can find a psych NP on every block in some locales these days. Pain clinics can be profitable with a decent lifestyle (but you have to deal with pain patients).

Diagnostic radiology isn't a bad choice, if you don't want to work with patients. Imaging in cancer management is skyrocketing. You can work remotely. People keep harping on AI doing reads but IMO that is unlikely to replace you, but will just make you more efficient.

I personally can't see myself doing anything else except working with cancer patients, so if I started over I would probably do Med Onc. But if I had to re-train TODAY after already going through Rad Onc residency I would choose Interventional Radiology. Then I could do some of my own biopsies and maybe trailblaze some new HDR approaches... but main reason would be to have an actual procedural skill under my belt that the legislators won't give away. Maybe double boarded in DR so I could read remotely if needed.
I've also thought a lot about this and I think I would re-train in diagnostic rads with a chest or breast fellowship, that way I can do the biopsies. I don't do any procedural work in my job right now and I miss that. The call would suck more, but the ability to work remotely would be very, very nice.

Reactions: 1 users