2022 Match Game

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
To be fair. Greg oden was number one draft pick with excellent credentials. Just ended up with bad knees. This would be like getting a stellar applicant who ended up with traumatic brain injury or early onset dementia after matching

The Greg Odens aren’t doing radonc anymore

I have no conflict of interest to report and didn’t attend OSU
Then again brain damage is a prerequisite

Members don't see this ad.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
An FMG may be a Luka Doncic and a MD PHD may be a Greg Oden. Please let’s not shame fmgs dos and people not with 300s on step 1

I am not shaming FMGs. Before rad oncs fall from grace, we wanted our program to take amazing FMGs. But I am strongly opposed to opening the floodgates to FMGs just to fill spots becauee of what it will do to our field in terms of future job prospects. Purely from a supply/demand perspective. I don't blame the applicants at all. They're just looking for a better future. Making 200k in the middle of nowhere is better than not matching at all. I exclusively blame our leadership for completely destroying our field

Reactions: 3 users
It’s a clean FMG sweep this year, even in more competitive fields like psych (at Harvard)

Times are changing!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
It’s a clean FMG sweep this year, even in more competitive fields like psych (at Harvard)

Times are changing!

How? Is this like an Oxford tier foreign school? Seemed like most mgh matches came from Harvard and other T20s

no one wants white males

Last edited:

Times are changing!

Guessing percentage wise, prob more FMGs in rad Onc this year than psych. They've essentially switched places in competitiveness. PR probably doesn't count though as they are a US territory

Last edited:
Guessing percentage wise, prob more FMGs in rad Onc this year than psych. They've essentially switched places in competitiveness
About the same.

Psych has been increasing spots in the match about as fast as EM. Psych spots - 1556 in 2018 up to 2047 in 2022.

RadOnc trending down 207 in 2019, 176 in 2022. Looking forward to Shah's data on how many we need, anyone know when that is supposed to be done?

We are the only specialty in the match with positions decreasing. Even EM went up almost 100 spots this year from last year with a projected oversupply of 9000 physicians in 10 years. :(

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
About the same.

Psych has been increasing spots in the match about as fast as EM. Psych spots - 1556 in 2018 up to 2047 in 2022.

RadOnc trending down 207 in 2019, 176 in 2022. Looking forward to Shah's data on how many we need, anyone know when that is supposed to be done?
Psych has real demand.... Their median salaries have actually been going up and geographically the market is wide open.

EM in the same boat as rad Onc, but i believe many of their residency slots came from greedy hospital chains like HCA rather than the Potters and Hallahans of their specialty

About the same.

We are the only specialty in the match with positions decreasing. Even EM went up almost 100 spots this year from last year with a projected oversupply of 9000 physicians in 10 years. :(
These numbers are concerning.

Looks like the “physician shortage” crowd is winning. There is a shortage in rural areas but the last thing that cities like SF, Boston, NYC, Chicago etc need is more doctors! Fortunately, I plan to move from the northeast to the south or Midwest after med school.

What are some good specialties to match given these numbers? A contrarian play like neurology? Not very competitive, seems less susceptible to scope creep and AI

Psych has real demand.... Their median salaries have actually been going up and geographically the market is wide open.

EM in the same boat as rad Onc, but i believe many of their residency slots came from greedy hospital chains like HCA rather than the Potters and Hallahans of their specialty
Agree that at this time psych is a great choice.

I like to think that there are enough good people in this specialty that it will get back on track.

Looks like the “physician shortage” crowd is winning. There is a shortage in rural areas but the last thing that cities like SF, Boston, NYC, Chicago etc need is more doctors! Fortunately, I plan to move from the northeast to the south or Midwest after med school.

What are some good specialties to match given these numbers? A contrarian play like neurology? Not very competitive, seems less susceptible to scope creep and AI
I think most surgical subspecialties, neuro, radiology, psych, PM&R, anesthesiology and Derm are all pretty good right now. May be a little more challenging to get good jobs in the most desirable places right away, but that's every specialty I think.

Ah!

The age old question.

I asked myself the same thing when I started med school *checks calendar* an incredibly disturbing long time ago (we're talking "what's an iPhone" days):

How do I future-proof myself?

You might get answers to this question, you might not. If I could go back in time and talk to every Radiation Oncologist in America when I was starting med school, I would be shocked if anyone was even close to right about where we are now. While IMRT was relatively widespread, VMAT wasn't a thing. Hypofrac certainly was not in common use. The CMS backlash to IMRT was still years away. Database studies still had impact. The foundation for today was well laid technology-wise, but I don't think anyone could have said for certain what was going to happen.

Similarly, I don't know what will happen to us 5 or 10 years from now. I can guess if literally nothing changes - but that never happens. Something is coming (or has already arrived) that is going to change things unexpectedly in the next 10 years. I obviously don't know what it is yet.

I think most surgical subspecialties, neuro, radiology, psych, PM&R, anesthesiology and Derm are all pretty good right now. May be a little more challenging to get good jobs in the most desirable places right away, but that's every specialty I think.
This is as good a guess as any.

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again - I would just do straight Internal Medicine. Maybe I would do a fellowship, but definitely get board certified in IM. Why? Because it keeps the most doors open. Basically the Swiss Army Knife of medicine.

Now, I say that because I find everything interesting. I know there are some folks who HATE Internal Medicine and that road is not for them. But to me, the most "future proof" path is always the broadest, regardless of field.

Reactions: 8 users
Surgery. It is self selecting, it is hard, and their idea of a robot is not the general populace's idea of a robot. We need more good, young surgeons across the board. Because of the demands of the job, it selects for a certain personality type, and if you aren't that personality type, you may find it off-putting. (I personally know some wonderful surgeons BTW).

IM is the backbone of medicine. Agree with above, never a bad play. But Surgeons by far have and will have the most ability to leverage their services against the medical administrative state.

If I were a med school admissions dean, I'd be selecting for self-important, highly competitive and hardworking applicants who want to be surgeons. I'd even preferentially give admissions to family members of surgeons. I'd be doing good for society by having the most dingus-ish med school class in the country. I'd eliminate any reflective, intellectually curious, have-some-chill brainiacs. They can (and should) all do PhD programs or any other job where hard thinking is presumably what you get paid for.

Compared to the average person, being a doc will remain awesome in most fields. Relatively high pay with very little difficulty getting out of bed to go to work because you are performing a service.

In terms of opportunity cost for the very bright person, being a doc will continue to look worse and worse for nearly all fields with less money and less autonomy. It beggars the question, "what should we encourage our "presumably bright" children to go into?

Reactions: 5 users
Compared to the average person, being a doc will remain awesome in most fields. Relatively high pay with very little difficulty getting out of bed to go to work because you are performing a service.
Very underrated opinion.

As bleak as things get, at the end of the day, I KNOW the world is a better place because of my actions.

Of the billions of people currently alive - very few of us get to say that.

(it's also why I don't care about how competitive RadOnc is/is not - the patients don't know or care, the service component remains intact)

Reactions: 8 users
Members don't see this ad :)
As bleak as things get, at the end of the day, I KNOW the world is a better place because of my actions.

that's still the satisfaction I get from rad onc that I wouldn't if I say went to med school and became a hospitalist to maximize geographic opportunities. It's a give and take. of course there are many fields for many people that would give both, but it's a personal thing.

FWIW medical schools in Puerto Rico are not considered foreign medical schools.

Last edited:
  • Sad
Imagine how the Goldman Sachs vampire squid I-bankers feel on their deathbed....

Knowing how these people operate, my guess is they’ve already justified their actions well before death in their heads. The ones the carry more “guilt” or a truly twisted sense of self importance you can run for governor. I believe two of them ran NJ for many years and many more will take up govt posts…not in the trenches of course but respectable back room positions. It’s their way of “giving back” hahahah

oh they only matched one? good for them. and a US MD? man I guess Lisa K is killing it.

Imagine how the Goldman Sachs vampire squid I-bankers feel on their deathbed....
Mattresses stuffed with gold bars and 100 dollar bills. Quite firm, but supposedly good to alleviate lower back pain.

• Haha
Mattresses stuffed with gold bars and 100 dollar bills. Quite firm, but supposedly good to alleviate lower back pain.
I wouldn’t be so quick to condemn them. Contributing to economic growth and jobs may do a lot more good than a price gouging parasite at mdacc charging 300k for proton breast. Maybe because of the actions of Ben Smith, some company can’t afford to hire some workers, and a family suffers in poverty? Anybody see a family destroyed by job loss or unemployment?

Last edited:
I wouldn’t be so quick to condemn them. Contributing to economic growth and jobs may do a lot more good than price gouging parasite at mdacc charging 300k for proton breast. Anybody see a family destroyed by job loss or unemployment?
You're missing the forest for the trees ... Think the pps exempt center of the biggest financial system in the world.

Again comes down to hating the game rather the players though...

Med school not listed? Lisa will happily fill that other slot outside the match, don't you worry

they weren't in the SOAP so maybe they only meant to take 1? but Lisa K will Lisa K.

they weren't in the SOAP so maybe they only meant to take 1? but Lisa K will Lisa K.
As medgator pointed out, many of these programs that "aren't soaping" will fill outside the match. That's what several of these programs have done over the past two years. They know it's bad PR to soap right now, so they avoid soap, but still fill the spots after people have stopped paying attention

Reactions: 4 users

I've thought about this a lot retrospectively, considering if I was to ever have to re-train in another specialty:

1) By far the most protective characteristic: Have a skill that others can not PHYSICALLY perform; even if legislators change the law to allow others to do it. Obviously, this means procedural fields with the surgical ones being at the top. Even if the diagnostic skills of an NP aren't that great... they can still physically do the job of a hospitalist; even if done poorly.

Of course not every one wants to do surgery. I find it incredibly boring. But some other characteristics:

2) Having a specialty that people will pay CASH for is great for security. It divorces you from the insurance companies.

3) A specialty which you can OWN your own practice, even better if you own the facility. Every time there is a patient encounter/procedure done in that facility, the OWNER is getting either a facility fee or technical revenue in their pocket. If you don't own it... someone else is making money off your back without doing a damn thing. This generally means specialties that have outpatient as an option and are not married to a hospital (like emergency or anesthesia).

4) A specialty where you control the flow of patients. If you control the patient.... you control the cash flow. This is especially pertinent for those specialties where there are a large amount of ancillary tests performed downstream which generate revenue (Oncology).

5) Something that has a certain amount of acuity to it... meaning if not done correctly; there are consequences. You can screw up basic primary care for a long time... so people are ok with a nurse doing it. Not many people would be ok with a nurse directing their cancer treatment.

Of the procedural specialties, I think Plastic Surgery is one of the most protected. You can own your own surgery center, people will pay cash for many procedures. Urology is another great one many don't consider. You won't find many NP surgery centers.

The procedural medicine specialties like GI, Cards, Pulm can have a high volume procedural practice that makes bank.

Not everyone wants to do procedures though. Neurology is not a bad choice. There is great need and it is very complex. I'm sure there are niches where you can make cash. That is the reason Psych is hot, but you can find a psych NP on every block in some locales these days. Pain clinics can be profitable with a decent lifestyle (but you have to deal with pain patients).

Diagnostic radiology isn't a bad choice, if you don't want to work with patients. Imaging in cancer management is skyrocketing. You can work remotely. People keep harping on AI doing reads but IMO that is unlikely to replace you, but will just make you more efficient.

I personally can't see myself doing anything else except working with cancer patients, so if I started over I would probably do Med Onc. But if I had to re-train TODAY after already going through Rad Onc residency I would choose Interventional Radiology. Then I could do some of my own biopsies and maybe trailblaze some new HDR approaches... but main reason would be to have an actual procedural skill under my belt that the legislators won't give away. Maybe double boarded in DR so I could read remotely if needed.

Reactions: 4 users
I've thought about this a lot retrospectively, considering if I was to ever have to re-train in another specialty:

1) By far the most protective characteristic: Have a skill that others can not PHYSICALLY perform; even if legislators change the law to allow others to do it. Obviously, this means procedural fields with the surgical ones being at the top. Even if the diagnostic skills of an NP aren't that great... they can still physically do the job of a hospitalist; even if done poorly.

Of course not every one wants to do surgery. I find it incredibly boring. But some other characteristics:

2) Having a specialty that people will pay CASH for is great for security. It divorces you from the insurance companies.

3) A specialty which you can OWN your own practice, even better if you own the facility. Every time there is a patient encounter/procedure done in that facility, the OWNER is getting either a facility fee or technical revenue in their pocket. If you don't own it... someone else is making money off your back without doing a damn thing. This generally means specialties that have outpatient as an option and are not married to a hospital (like emergency or anesthesia).

4) A specialty where you control the flow of patients. If you control the patient.... you control the cash flow. This is especially pertinent for those specialties where there are a large amount of ancillary tests performed downstream which generate revenue (Oncology).

5) Something that has a certain amount of acuity to it... meaning if not done correctly; there are consequences. You can screw up basic primary care for a long time... so people are ok with a nurse doing it. Not many people would be ok with a nurse directing their cancer treatment.

Of the procedural specialties, I think Plastic Surgery is one of the most protected. You can own your own surgery center, people will pay cash for many procedures. Urology is another great one many don't consider. You won't find many NP surgery centers.

The procedural medicine specialties like GI, Cards, Pulm can have a high volume procedural practice that makes bank.

Not everyone wants to do procedures though. Neurology is not a bad choice. There is great need and it is very complex. I'm sure there are niches where you can make cash. That is the reason Psych is hot, but you can find a psych NP on every block in some locales these days. Pain clinics can be profitable with a decent lifestyle (but you have to deal with pain patients).

Diagnostic radiology isn't a bad choice, if you don't want to work with patients. Imaging in cancer management is skyrocketing. You can work remotely. People keep harping on AI doing reads but IMO that is unlikely to replace you, but will just make you more efficient.

I personally can't see myself doing anything else except working with cancer patients, so if I started over I would probably do Med Onc. But if I had to re-train TODAY after already going through Rad Onc residency I would choose Interventional Radiology. Then I could do some of my own biopsies and maybe trailblaze some new HDR approaches... but main reason would be to have an actual procedural skill under my belt that the legislators won't give away. Maybe double boarded in DR so I could read remotely if needed.
I think rad onc has that level of protection, if we could just get supply under control. No one wants an np as an oncologist or planning their radiation

As medgator pointed out, many of these programs that "aren't soaping" will fill outside the match. That's what several of these programs have done over the past two years. They know it's bad PR to soap right now, so they avoid soap, but still fill the spots after people have stopped paying attention

I'm right there with you. But at this stage in my life, I would have to either win the lottery or be paid my current salary to retrain. None of those things will happen.

I have done the math several times. I would basically deplete 60-85% of my current savings assuming I did a 5 year residency. Maybe 50-75% if I can convince my wife to work. Also means no saving for my kids education as well. I don't have wealthy relatives who would be willing to help either and they probably would delight in my troubles!

So assuming I complete the program and spend all this money and have to deal with the stress of kids and money and my wife's BS, I now have more geographic flexibility and probably the same income potential (although this point is debatable).

I wish I could leave but I'm kind of handcuffed to the titanic. The problem is if you want to leave you should leave now. If you wait till the ship sinks you waited too long.

DR - 5 years basically - maybe the most realistic - have to leave onc space with patient contact though
Med Onc- 5 years (I hated IM mostly because the people suck) - can stay in the cancer space at least. May also be realistic
Ortho - 5 years + 1 yr fellowship (pretty much mandatory) - not attainable
Opthalmology - 4 years (everyone does a fellowship) - not attainable
Dermatology - 3-4 years can do mohs. - meh attainable its not as competitive as in years past but still competitive.
Anesthesia - 3-4 years but have to deal with CRNAs - I hate MLPs. used to have one in my clinic
IM - 2-3 years - Less costly and probably represents a huge pay cut on top of it - hard pass
IR - 5 years? - basically work surgeon hours - hard pass

‘Maybe 50-75% if I can convince my wife to work.’

Good luck! I’ve tried and failed

• Haha
Wow, I'm late to the game and it's just amazing how little these programs care. Current still jobless PGY-5 here from a "top 10" program. There are very few jobs and the competition is high. If my program decided to fill half their class with FMGs instead of decreasing their spots, that's a big slap on the face. Top applicants in the future should avoid places like Stanford until they show that they care about their residents' future and the quality of their program.

1647797923078.png

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 9 users
I'm right there with you. But at this stage in my life, I would have to either win the lottery or be paid my current salary to retrain. None of those things will happen.

I have done the math several times. I would basically deplete 60-85% of my current savings assuming I did a 5 year residency. Maybe 50-75% if I can convince my wife to work. Also means no saving for my kids education as well. I don't have wealthy relatives who would be willing to help either and they probably would delight in my troubles!

So assuming I complete the program and spend all this money and have to deal with the stress of kids and money and my wife's BS, I now have more geographic flexibility and probably the same income potential (although this point is debatable).

I wish I could leave but I'm kind of handcuffed to the titanic. The problem is if you want to leave you should leave now. If you wait till the ship sinks you waited too long.

DR - 5 years basically - maybe the most realistic - have to leave onc space with patient contact though
Med Onc- 5 years (I hated IM mostly because the people suck) - can stay in the cancer space at least. May also be realistic
Ortho - 5 years + 1 yr fellowship (pretty much mandatory) - not attainable
Opthalmology - 4 years (everyone does a fellowship) - not attainable
Dermatology - 3-4 years can do mohs. - meh attainable its not as competitive as in years past but still competitive.
Anesthesia - 3-4 years but have to deal with CRNAs - I hate MLPs. used to have one in my clinic
IM - 2-3 years - Less costly and probably represents a huge pay cut on top of it - hard pass
IR - 5 years? - basically work surgeon hours - hard pass
Sounds like u got 99 problems and your wife is many of them! Good luck with that brotha. Sounds ROUGH!

Wow, I'm late to the game and it's just amazing how little these programs care. Current still jobless PGY-5 here from a "top 10" program. There are very few jobs and the competition is high. If my program decided to fill half their class with FMGs instead of decreasing their spots, that's a big slap on the face. Top applicants in the future should avoid places like Stanford until they show that they care about their residents' future and the quality of their program.

View attachment 352081

It just goes to show you how farcical the idea of prestige is.
I mean one decade your laughing at people for not having enough publications or a PhD and the next minute you being hypofrac'd and I/O's into oblivion taking anybody you can get. I really hope those women have rich husbands and that the guys have trust funds.

• Haha
It just goes to show you how farcical the idea of prestige is.
I mean one decade your laughing at people for not having enough publications or a PhD and the next minute you being hypofrac'd and I/O's into oblivion taking anybody you can get. I really hope those women have rich husbands and that the guys have trust funds.
Rich husbands may not want to live in bfe?

Rich husbands may not want to live in bfe?

There used to be a med student whose hubby would helicopter her into class limo
Picked her up and drove her back to the airport too.

As for rich husband, as they say fridays are for the wives but Saturday’s are for the girlfriends

• Haha
There used to be a med student whose hubby would helicopter her into class limo
Picked her up and drove her back to the airport too.

As for rich husband, as they say fridays are for the wives but Saturday’s are for the girlfriends
If someone had the means and desire to helicopter me for a daily commute, I would 100% put a ring on it, regardless of sex/gender/anything else. I would marry one of the trans-dimensional aliens who engineered the Kaiju from Pacific Rim if I could get a helicopter.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
If someone had the means and desire to helicopter me for a daily commute, I would 100% put a ring on it, regardless of sex/gender/anything else. I would marry one of the trans-dimensional aliens who engineered the Kaiju from Pacific Rim if I could get a helicopter.
I’ll come scoop you up in about an hr!

• Love

View attachment 352081
This is a really sad story. Everyone in my class got their job on their own. It did help to have some faculty vouch as references, but we each had to the leg work and hustle. The crazy thing is like many have posted the current PGY-5 class (and recent grads) are probably some of the most accomplished residents, at least on paper.

WAIT.

DID WE GLOSS OVER THIS.

I didn't, I sent them a job opportunity by PM.

Tell that to Buckaroo Banzai

The Tow Mater also has an MD and a PhD.

• Love

Med students follow the money. Always have and always will. ER spent a few years being hot **** due to high salary, a strong job market, and shift work which is more compatible with millenial lifestyles. Then hospitals expanded residency slots by the hundreds, tanked the job market, dropped salaries, and now people aren't interested.

Reactions: 10 users
Med students follow the money. Always have and always will. ER spent a few years being hot **** due to high salary, a strong job market, and shift work which is more compatible with millenial lifestyles. Then hospitals expanded residency slots by the hundreds, tanked the job market, dropped salaries, and now people aren't interested.
Yup.

There are some that self select to something like specialty surgery, but for the most part, it's the money:lifestyle quotient that drives med student interest.