2022-2023 Virginia Tech (Carilion)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i think this school is the only school I applied to that still require application fee (although reduced) from those who have waivers. Makes me feel :/ about this school.
Fees not withstanding, it's a great school. Best of luck!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
II received via email at 11:21 EST today!!! OOS with no ties. Complete 7/9. Stats in signature.

• Love
Members don't see this ad :)
II received 8/18 <3. Complete 7/19/22 & LM: 69 but w lots of research. I am a reapplicant who got no interviews last cycle if that gives anyone stalking this thread some hope lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Just got my II. LM 79 with tons of research. Good luck folks!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats on the IIs!!

Current m1 happy to try and answer any questions you have!

Reactions: 3 users
Hi guys how long did it take to receive a secondary here?

Does anyone know for the MMI if it will be explicit on the prompt that it's an acting scenario vs an interview scenario (like talking through the logic for the prompt)? Or do we have to just go off context? I've been looking at examples from other schools but I'm still kinda confused on this lol. Thanks in advance!

Does anyone know for the MMI if it will be explicit on the prompt that it's an acting scenario vs an interview scenario (like talking through the logic for the prompt)? Or do we have to just go off context? I've been looking at examples from other schools but I'm still kinda confused on this lol. Thanks in advance!
I assume it'll be explicit. Usually at the end of the example prompts I've seen, there is something like "The patient is in the room." if it's an acting scenario. I guess if they don't make it explicit on the prompt, it'll become obvious fairly quickly when we walk into the room LOL

@Lord_Have_MRSA any insight?

Last edited:
I assume it'll be explicit. Usually at the end of the example prompts I've seen, there is something like "The patient is in the room." if it's an acting scenario. I guess if they don't make it explicit on the prompt, it'll become obvious fairly quickly when we walk into the room LOL

That makes the most sense, I'm just curious so I avoid any awkward situations like coming in thinking I'm an actor and the whole time it's an interview hahaha

• Haha

The instructions are pretty clear in the prompt before you start talking through a scenario/situation so don't worry about that so much!

Members don't see this ad :)
What the heck are these secondary questions, literally some of the hardest I have seen, especially with that 600 word limit. How many words are you guys writing for each them? Trying to write as much as possible, but I'm at the limit of ability to expand stuff.

What the heck are these secondary questions, literally some of the hardest I have seen, especially with that 600 word limit. How many words are you guys writing for each them? Trying to write as much as possible, but I'm at the limit of ability to expand stuff.
I agree the word limit is challenging but I tried to include a story about myself in each prompt or relate it to my life in some way. Once I told my story I found the word limits weren’t too hard!

Suggestion: Read the question, get in the mood with some good music or tea, and just do stream of consciousness. With questions like these they are easier to handle if you just type first thing that comes to your mind

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
II today at around 1:30! Submitted my secondary on 8/10 and I am an OOS applicant :)

Anyone know if they still have/send interviews in six batches? I remember that being the case two years ago, but wasn't sure if that's still how they do it.

Anyone know if they still have/send interviews in six batches? I remember that being the case two years ago, but wasn't sure if that's still how they do it.
I don't know about the interview invites themselves (and so far, they seem to come randomly in small batches), but they said they have 6 interview dates scheduled in the fall and winter.

I don't know about the interview invites themselves (and so far, they seem to come randomly in small batches), but they said they have 6 interview dates scheduled in the fall and winter.
That's probably what I was thinking of. Thank you!

@Lord_Have_MRSA One more question for you: do you remember the dress code for the social event on Friday night? Were people professionally dressed in interview attire again or more casual? Thanks so much for being helpful!!

@Lord_Have_MRSA One more question for you: do you remember the dress code for the social event on Friday night? Were people professionally dressed in interview attire again or more casual? Thanks so much for being helpful!!
Our social night was on Zoom so, I am unsure for in person! I would ask admissions.

Under the "Important Info" tab in the interview portal it says "Business casual attire is appropriate. "

For those with II, is Vtech virtual or in-person interviews? Do they offer both options?

For those with II, is Vtech virtual or in-person interviews? Do they offer both options?
In person only. They also tell you which date they've signed you up for, you don't get to choose (I'm pretty sure they only do 1 interview day per month). However, they did work with me when I told them I had a pre-existing conflict w the date they originally gave me and they offered me a different one which worked a lot better

In person only. They also tell you which date they've signed you up for, you don't get to choose (I'm pretty sure they only do 1 interview day per month). However, they did work with me when I told them I had a pre-existing conflict w the date they originally gave me and they offered me a different one which worked a lot better
I do remember them saying that they have 2 virtual days available and 4 in person days. I think they only offer you an in person day if something about your app indicates that you could possibly make it there...

I do remember them saying that they have 2 virtual days available and 4 in person days. I think they only offer you an in person day if something about your app indicates that you could possibly make it there...
could be! I was only told they were doing in-person, I was never given a virtual option but I do live in DC so that may be why

could be! I was only told they were doing in-person, I was never given a virtual option but I do live in DC so that may be why
Yeah!! To be fair I am a VA resident and they only offered me in person as well. I think I read it on their website maybe?

II received today! Complete on 7/4. The interview is on 10/15. No other dates were available.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I just got their open house email and almost had a heart attack lol

Does anyone have insight on how tough the interview is?
I believe it's a combination of a short 1-on-1 with a faculty member and also a more fast-paced MMI interview. I've heard the 1-on-1's tend to be pretty chill and short. MMI is, well, it's MMI;)

Just got II, but the cost to fly out is way too high! 508 for flight then 300 for hotel!

Just got II, but the cost to fly out is way too high! 508 for flight then 300 for hotel!
They have rooms reserved for $135 a night. Not sure if you planned to stay more than a night though.

They have rooms reserved for $135 a night. Not sure if you planned to stay more than a night though.
If I was to go I would stay Friday and Saturday night so around 270! Unless if there are any females on here willing to share a room!

oh yeah
If I was to go I would stay Friday and Saturday night so around 270! Unless if there are any females on here willing to share a room!
oh yeah, it's pricey. I was surprised that it was in person.

Has anyone gotten an II with a little/moderate amount of research?

Complete 7/14 and haven't heard anything yet. Lots of research and close ties to the state. *Sighs in neuroticism*

• Care
Complete 7/26. Haven't heard anything back yet

II today morning! Complete 9/7. Just realized the interview is in-person and I live on the other side of the country, is there an option to switch to an online interview?

Did they give you a date in the same month or the next month. I have a conflict and I want to change my date but if it's going to be a month off, then I'd rather not change it.

II today morning! Complete 9/7. Just realized the interview is in-person and I live on the other side of the country, is there an option to switch to an online interview?
Congratulations! What were your stats / LM score, if you don't mind me asking? I was complete on 9/8, so similar completion date

Did they give you a date in the same month or the next month. I have a conflict and I want to change my date but if it's going to be a month off, then I'd rather not change it.
I'm pretty sure they only do one interview day each month, so mine was switched to 10/15 instead of 9/17. If you cant make the date they offered you theyll probably just switch you to the one the following month

For those that interviewed 10/15, how did it go? Any tips or advice you can give? Thanks!