2022-2023 Pennsylvania State

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Is tomorrow the day we think interviews will go out?
Based off the time when IIs were given out last cycle (mid-August), it seems like there’s a chance that they could start being given out tomorrow or sometime this week

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Yeah I feel the same with my college. I think Pen State is kinda mean for this. I still submitted mine with just the original LORs. So be it!
Agreed, this is the most Non-Trad unfriendly secondary I've seen. Has anyone verified that they just want kids straight out of undergrad ? Don't want to waste any time that I don't have to. I'm kind of IS so am familiar and have friends in the area so was hoping to apply , but not sure if it's worth getting 3 more LOR's for this app only when I have a bunch more to work on.

Reactions: 1 user
OOS non trad in similar situation. Where did it say it has to be undergrad? I have a committee letter from my post bac.

Edit: Found it. I sent an email as well. Will post what they say after I find out. Damn might not be applying here as well
Sorry, I know this post is a little old now - but I thought based on their website that if you have a committee letter then you don't need additional letters from undergrad? graduated in 2015 so i'm a nontrad as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry, I know this post is a little old now - but I thought based on their website that if you have a committee letter then you don't need additional letters from undergrad? graduated in 2015 so i'm a nontrad as well.
Says you need a letter from all institutions you got a degree at. Doesn’t list any exceptions as far as I know. I ended up just not doing the secondary as I felt it would be a waste

I’ve been working for the past year, and I got a letter from the physician I work with (although not my supervisor). Do you think this is permissible?

I’ve been working for the past year, and I got a letter from the physician I work with (although not my supervisor). Do you think this is permissible?
I was wondering this as well. I just went for it. I did call admissions and whoever I talked to made it seem like they were pretty lax about it

Members don't see this ad :)
Pretty sure CASPER wasn't required when I submitted my app, but I just checked my portal and saw that my application is marked incomplete bc they need my casper score - so in case I'm not the only one that missed this, they apparently require casper this year!!

EDIT: I just double checked and I did get an "application complete" email from them when I submitted so idk what's going on with them

Pretty sure CASPER wasn't required when I submitted my app, but I just checked my portal and saw that my application is marked incomplete bc they need my casper score - so in case I'm not the only one that missed this, they apparently require casper this year!!

EDIT: I just double checked and I did get an "application complete" email from them when I submitted so idk what's going on with them
makes you go crazy!

II!!! OOS Complete July 12th, RD, got an email about an hour ago, good luck everyone :)

Reactions: 4 users
Hi, I received this email when I submitted to PSUCOM. I haven’t received a complete email though… does this mean my application isn’t ready? Thanks

Your application has been confirmed as received. Thank you for applying to Penn State College of Medicine. This message is NOT meant to indicate that your application to the College of Medicine is complete. You will receive another email, several weeks from today, informing you that your application is complete and is being submitted to the Admissions Committee for review. You will now be able to re-enter the Secondary Application system to view your application status

Hi, I received this email when I submitted to PSUCOM. I haven’t received a complete email though… does this mean my application isn’t ready? Thanks

Your application has been confirmed as received. Thank you for applying to Penn State College of Medicine. This message is NOT meant to indicate that your application to the College of Medicine is complete. You will receive another email, several weeks from today, informing you that your application is complete and is being submitted to the Admissions Committee for review. You will now be able to re-enter the Secondary Application system to view your application status
you will get a complete email soon!

Complete on 07/11 and interviewed late March at PSU in 2021 cycle and was waitlisted :( Does anyone know if PSU reviews reapps differently?

OOS, RD, 4.0 GPA, and 507 MCAT - submitted secondary/complete on 7/11 and haven't gotten any updates

OOS II received! 71 LM, ORM, and complete on 7/15/22. Good luck to the other applicants!

Reactions: 6 users
Complete on 07/11 and interviewed late March at PSU in 2021 cycle and was waitlisted :( Does anyone know if PSU reviews reapps differently?
A current student here, I applied in 2020, got put on hold, and then was rejected. Applied in 2021, put on hold again in March (super late in the game), then 3 weeks later got an interview (end of March), then 4 weeks later was accepted. You truly never know! All my holds in 2020 turned out to be rejections. So, in 2021 I just assumed that my 2021 hold was a soft rejection too.
OOS

• Care
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users
II at 1:22 pm EST!!! Stats in signature, OOS but went to undergrad in PA!

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
Just had to withdraw my application because admissions refused to grant a waiver for the non-science LOR. Im a non trad more than 5 years out of college. Just completed my Masters in Biomedical Sciences which was all science courses. I literally don’t know how to have gotten a non science letter. Super bummed out. Good luck to all of you applying!

• Care
Reactions: 8 users
II just now! OOS, ORM, reapplicant who interviewed two cycles ago :')

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
II just now! OOS, ORM, reapplicant who interviewed two cycles ago :')

Oh hi twin! Same exact sitch here
Congratulations to both of you!! What changed between your applications last time to now that you believe helped you to get an interview again? Or any advice for others regarding what you did differently this time around!

Congratulations to both of you!! What changed between your applications last time to now that you believe helped you to get an interview again? Or any advice for others regarding what you did differently this time around!
Also when we’re y’all complete? 😊

More clinical and non-clinical volunteering hours but I also did a masters in biophysics and physiology to make up for a not-so-great undergrad sGPA! But I also think my essays were a lot better this year, with a stronger overall theme to my application. That, and last year I applied and was complete in September but this year I made sure to apply the first day lol

Also when we’re y’all complete? 😊

I believe 7/13!

Reactions: 3 users
Also for available dates, literally could not see any except one in October which I thought was weird - even when I fast-forwarded all the way to April. Gonna call them for clarification and let y'all know!

I gained exponential clinical, research, and nonclinical volunteer hours. No change to my GPA or MCAT.

I was complete 7/19 this cycle and probably late September last time I applied.

Update regarding avaialble dates: it might not show on the calendar, but just call them and they physically open up dates for you!

Quick question guys on the prereqs section on the secondary - for those who satisfied all the competencies through coursework, did you also check off "other experiences/activities" when it was also applicable? I checked off "courses listed on transcripts" for all of the competencies, but am trying to see if I should also check off other experiences/activities when applicable. I am wondering on how concise I should be with the descriptions.

Quick question guys on the prereqs section on the secondary - for those who satisfied all the competencies through coursework, did you also check off "other experiences/activities" when it was also applicable? I checked off "courses listed on transcripts" for all of the competencies, but am trying to see if I should also check off other experiences/activities when applicable. I am wondering on how concise I should be with the descriptions.
if my courses satisfied the prereq, I didn't add more info! I think Penn State is just making sure we satisfy whatever they need us to have, so additional experience/activities wouldn't really matter (imo).