2022-2023 Medical College of Wisconsin (MCW)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
It’s not a hold email. They just like to send updates! Last cycle they sent like 3-4 total every few months.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
that email has me feeling a million type of ways JUST LET ME INNNNNNN

• Care
Reactions: 6 users
Just got the cycle update email as well, I thought it was going to be an R since Ive been complete since July. Oh well, at least it wasn't the R.

Reactions: 7 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone want to share what they said on the update email? :oops:

For those curious, it says "MCW: Admissions Cycle Update"

"Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School! We are emailing today with a brief update to kick off the 2023 application cycle.

A couple months ago, we welcomed the incoming class of 2022 to campus, and we are already looking forward to meeting the incoming class of 2023! We have been reviewing this cycle’s applications and have started extending invitations to interview. If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive a communication via email. If you are not selected for an interview, you will receive a notification of that during the cycle. We have already started sending those notifications and will continue to do so until all interview days are complete in mid-March. We do not utilize “silent rejections.” We very much appreciate your patience as we take the time to complete thorough, holistic reviews, and as we continue to adjust to another cycle of virtual interviews. It’s common for the review process to take at least a few months after your application is fully complete. This message can serve as confirmation that you have a complete application. However, we cannot provide any individualized status updates, nor can we elaborate on where exactly your application is within the review process or your likelihood of receiving an interview invitation. Throughout the cycle, you are welcome to upload any updates or additional documents directly to your secondary application portal. This can be done using the “Document Upload” section. Portal uploads will be reviewed with the rest of your application materials when applicable. If at any point in the cycle you are no longer interested in MCW, you may withdraw your application using the “Status” section of your secondary application portal.

Thank you again, and please contact our office with any questions!"

----
Basically, a very nice way for them to say, "hey, we're working on your app; hang in there." I'm unsure if I can read anything else into it. Anyone OOS get one? I was complete on July 15th, 508/3.9/Non-Trad.

Reactions: 11 users

"Thank you for your continued interest in MCW Medical School! We are emailing today with a brief update to kick off the 2023 application cycle.

A couple months ago, we welcomed the incoming class of 2022 to campus, and we are already looking forward to meeting the incoming class of 2023! We have been reviewing this cycle’s applications and have started extending invitations to interview. If you are selected for an interview invitation, you will receive a communication via email. If you are not selected for an interview, you will receive a notification of that during the cycle. We have already started sending those notifications and will continue to do so until all interview days are complete in mid-March. We do not utilize “silent rejections.” We very much appreciate your patience as we take the time to complete thorough, holistic reviews, and as we continue to adjust to another cycle of virtual interviews. It’s common for the review process to take at least a few months after your application is fully complete. This message can serve as confirmation that you have a complete application. However, we cannot provide any individualized status updates, nor can we elaborate on where exactly your application is within the review process or your likelihood of receiving an interview invitation. Throughout the cycle, you are welcome to upload any updates or additional documents directly to your secondary application portal. This can be done using the “Document Upload” section. Portal uploads will be reviewed with the rest of your application materials when applicable. If at any point in the cycle you are no longer interested in MCW, you may withdraw your application using the “Status” section of your secondary application portal.

----
Basically, a very nice way for them to say, "hey, we're working on your app; hang in there." I'm unsure if I can read anything else into it. Anyone OOS get one? I was complete on July 15th, 508/3.9/Non-Trad.
I actually just got one also, I am OOS

Reactions: 2 users

----
I'm OOS, non-trad with lots of clinical experience, low MCAT, avg. GPA

Reactions: 1 user
I'm not reading too much into that email. Maybe I'm overly hopeful, but I see that as them saying, "Hey, we haven't forgotten about you yet. We're reviewing applications. You haven't received an invite, but we're not rejecting you."

Reactions: 10 users
OOS non-trad, did not receive this but also wasn’t marked complete until 8/26, so maybe that factors in too 🤷🏼‍♀️

This is interesting, would you mind sharing complete date and the content of the email? Is it kind of like a hold email?
it just said they are taking time doing holistic reviews and appreciate our patience basically, no status change

Reactions: 1 users
I'm not reading too much into that email. Maybe I'm overly hopeful, but I see that as them saying, "Hey, we haven't forgotten about you yet. We're reviewing applications. You haven't received an invite, but we're not rejecting you."
Surely it's this. Rather nice of them to reach out to us during the quiet of waiting around during the cycle.

Also just got one. OOS, complete late August.
Thank goodness I saw this thread first and was expecting an email from them, otherwise I'd have a heart attack.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS Applicant - got the "cycle update" email just now. I'm torn between being thankful they acknowledged my completed app and heartbroken that it wasn't an interview invite. It sounds like they are just getting started sending out IIs, so hopefully we will see many more soon. Good luck, everybody!
I just got this email as an IS. However, I don’t think you should be heartbroken! MCW sends interviews randomly and you shouldn’t hang your head. I haven’t received one either and I don’t know any other IS who have :).

• Love
This is interesting, would you mind sharing complete date and the content of the email? Is it kind of like a hold email?
I got it too. Early August. And I don't think it's a hold. Just an acknowledgment and update that we're complete and they don't do "silent rejections." So we'll know if we're getting an interview or rejected.

IS Applicant - got the "cycle update" email just now. I'm torn between being thankful they acknowledged my completed app and heartbroken that it wasn't an interview invite. It sounds like they are just getting started sending out IIs, so hopefully we will see many more soon. Good luck, everybody!
+1 Complete on 7/29

OOS applicant, received the same email. I assumed it was because I took casper 2 weeks ago and they got my score.

Better than silence.

I got this email as well. Seems like it's nothing but I almost died lol got really excited thinking it was an interview invite.

I assume this is a typo but I choose to believe you really have a 2.0 and are just the ballsiest premed of all time.
its me the ballsiest premed of all time. didn't get "holistically screened" from receiving a secondary so, you know i got that going for me at least. my friend did get screened though.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Helloooo just your friendly M1 here to talk about the cycle email yall just got. I was complete in July of last year and had radio silence for MONTHS before getting that exact email in early October. Then another late October. Then nothing for a while, and an interview invite in late November. MCW doesn't like doing the radio silence bit that most other schools LOVE, so they try to compensate by sending that email. Its not a hold, just means (from my understanding, not confirmed at all) that they've received your app, looked through it, and it is in consideration. That may sound like a hold, but it's not--your app is in the pile and will be pulled when the stars align. In my mind, what makes up for this long pre-II wait (for most) is that once you get an interview it can be done fairly quickly--I waited maybe a week?--and then you get a decision several weeks after that. Plus, at least for in-state residents, post-II acceptance rates hold steady around 80% from what I've heard.

Also, this will not be the first email like this that you will get, both from MCW or any school. I hope you've got a strong stomach or brought some Dramamine because this emotional rollercoaster is about to get real.

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
Helloooo just your friendly M1 here to talk about the cycle email yall just got. I was complete in July of last year and had radio silence for MONTHS before getting that exact email in early October. Then another late October. Then nothing for a while, and an interview invite in late November. MCW doesn't like doing the radio silence bit that most other schools LOVE, so they try to compensate by sending that email. Its not a hold, just means (from my understanding, not confirmed at all) that they've received your app, looked through it, and it is in consideration. That may sound like a hold, but it's not--your app is in the pile and will be pulled when the stars align. In my mind, what makes up for this long pre-II wait (for most) is that once you get an interview it can be done fairly quickly--I waited maybe a week?--and then you get a decision several weeks after that. Plus, at least for in-state residents, post-II acceptance rates hold steady around 80% from what I've heard.

Also, this will not be the first email like this that you will get, both from MCW or any school. I hope you've got a strong stomach or brought some Dramamine because this emotional rollercoaster is about to get real.
whats your favorite part about MCW a year in?

yeah I (will) have a hard science grad degree. and every activity type aside from military service. talking 1000's of hours of each. very legitamate reason for 2.0 as well (or so i believe/hope).
we've got a lot of military students here, both veterans and current service members--mostly HPSP but others as well. MCW picks applicants based on who they are and what they can bring to the table, not solely off of stats. If they can overlook my lack of research and scrappy volunteer hours (and no traditional clinical experience....also all for very good reasons that are compensated for by other non-trad stuff), you've got a shot. Best of luck!

whats your favorite part about MCW a year in?
more like 8 weeks in, but who's counting?

Definitely the pass/fail curriculum with no hidden rankings. It takes so much pressure off of you, and as long as you pass the exams you're no better or worse than any of your classmates. Plus the nightlife is great--there will always be a party or a group going out on water street each weekend, breweries are a dime a dozen, trivia nights at Hoyt Park are fantastic, and intramurals are always going if people want to get out and get some exercise. Finding friends was incredibly easy, and while we have a few gunners most of the class is very easygoing and ready to help, ask for help, host a game night, or go out and hit downtown on a Friday night.

Also, for academics, each week academic enhancement posts study guides and summaries of the content in each of the 3 classes you take per semester, so even if you get behind (@ myself) its relatively easy to get caught up and grasp the big ideas. The accessibility of all these resources is invaluable in my opinion.

Reactions: 9 users
we've got a lot of military students here, both veterans and current service members--mostly HPSP but others as well. MCW picks applicants based on who they are and what they can bring to the table, not solely off of stats. If they can overlook my lack of research and scrappy volunteer hours (and no traditional clinical experience....also all for very good reasons that are compensated for by other non-trad stuff), you've got a shot. Best of luck!
this is the hopium that will carry me to November, thank you.

• Care
OOS green bay II today! complete 07/15

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Have they sent out Rs yet or do they save those for a later date?
usually they send them at the very end like in march, but this year, i saw some reported already! so maybe this year its throughout the cycle.

Anyone know if MCW is receptive to application updates?

Very receptive! You can submit a PDF in the portal
Would it be worth submitting an update with ~600 more clinical hours and ~30 more shadowing hours? Also if MCW is my top choice would a letter of intent have any sway?

Would it be worth submitting an update with ~600 more clinical hours and ~30 more shadowing hours? Also if MCW is my top choice would a letter of intent have any sway?

Personal opinion but that seems like a substantial amount of hours to update them on! I would go for it

Are these new hours in an activity you did not mention on your primary? Or did you project hours?

Checking in a bit late but just wanted to make others aware. I am an IS applicant who was complete on 7/15. I was offered an interview on 9/28 for 9/30 for the Milwaukee campus so someone must have cancelled. They informed us we would hear by the end of the day on 10/17 about our decision.

Last edited:
  • Love