2022-2023 Charles R. Drew University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if they take committee letters? The secondary says to “Please make sure to assign 3 to 5
letters of recommendation in your AMCAS application.”

However, on AMCAS under the individual letter heading it says “If you have already included an Individual letter within ether a committee letter or letter packet, you do not need to add a separate entry for the individual letter.”

So what now?
i am also wondering this..i sent in my LORs to them when I applied so do I need to resend it for secondary

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
wait another question lol...why would they send a link to the portal to CDU one within the UCLA/DREW email 🧐 ...im really hoping they decided to offer us a chance but i dont want to be too optimistic lol - i mean they added the CDU link but didn't change the email subject/context

Members don't see this ad :)
It was just a mistake. It means nothing to your UCLA/Drew status.

I also got the mistake email and have never applied to UCLA/Drew.

Reactions: 5 users
*update* got an email from them saying they are "working on rectifying this issue"

Reactions: 3 users
Supposedly they wrap up in December. Look on this years and last years threads but they are done doing II by then. Makes sense as they only fill 24 seats. Probably interview 100-150 applicants.
Dang. If that’s the case why are they sending out rejections to some people and stringing along others? Seems unprofessional and cruel

Dang. If that’s the case why are they sending out rejections to some people and stringing along others? Seems unprofessional and cruel
That's always their cycle for UCLA/drew. Pre secondary rejections before December. Last interviews are usually December and they start giving out acceptances in February/March.i think in 2021 they had one interview day in January. They tend not to deviate much from that schedule.

For anyone that submitted their secondary to CDU did you receive submission confirmation? 🥹

Reactions: 1 users
Mine was a pre-secondary R, much different then pre-II R. idk your chances there still but it's a whole lot better then mine. Just let things play out for now.

i am also wondering this..i sent in my LORs to them when I applied so do I need to resend it for secondary
Nah you don't. Some people apply without assigning LORs on AMCAS initially. If you submitted them already, you good

Primary submitted. Guess we'll see if they have some pre-secondary screening process.

Also anyone else curious that Drew is requiring 1 year of Biochemistry as a prereq? (biochem majors rejoice!)
i got a secondary from them and only have one semester

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, I submitted my application a few hours ago. I wonder what the MCAT score screening will be, also if they will take some out of state applicants. Best of Luck everyone !
I got a secondary and im OOS with sub 500

Reactions: 2 users
so for people who submitted their secondary, you submitted it to the link in the UCLA/Drew email? Everything was fine?

so for people who submitted their secondary, you submitted it to the link in the UCLA/Drew email? Everything was fine?

Yes. Submitted to the link portal they sent and I received a ‘secondary app received’ email the next day.

did anyone find extracurriculars on their website other than their HIV testing clinics and pipeline initiatives? I know its a new school but wanted to know if there was anything else I can write about and maybe I'm just not looking in the right place on their website

did anyone find extracurriculars on their website other than their HIV testing clinics and pipeline initiatives? I know its a new school but wanted to know if there was anything else I can write about and maybe I'm just not looking in the right place on their website
Literally had the same problem. I couldn’t find any other opportunities on their website

Hello. I just want to make a quick statement for people because there seems to be a lot of confusion. This school is not the same as the Drew/UCLA Medical Education Program. Charles Drew University is opening their own medical school and this has a different program and admissions committee than the Drew/UCLA program, which is a part of the UCLA class.

If you are updating here for the Drew/UCLA medical education program, then I recommend moving to the Charles Drew @ UCLA thread!

• Hmm
Submitted secondary. 🙏🏽 Do they screen? I never took Calc or Biochem...

Submitted secondary. 🙏🏽 Do they screen? I never took Calc or Biochem...
I believe they are both requirements of the school. If you are offered admission, the offer is contingent of having those requirements completed ☺️

This is only based on their website, I would definitely encourage you to reach out to the school! Best of luck🤞🏽

is there housing offered or affiliated with their MD program ?
According to the website, no. They just have some recommended sites to use to find housing and an off campus portal to help students find a place.

If anyone is wondering, i submitted my secondary and received submission confirmation 3 hours later

Reactions: 5 users
how many people are they interviewing for 60 spots ?
I don't think anyone of us could answer that as it depends on how many applied and passed screening. Logistics and metrics wise, I'd think at least 120. Definitely a question for admissions

I feel there may be less applications to CDU this year since by now a good chunk of people have gotten multiple acceptances from other schools

Just received phone call for II!

• Love
Reactions: 15 users
woahhhhhh!!! complete when? also did you get options to schedule or set date/

also damn I gotta start answering phone calls now (hopefully)

woahhhhhh!!! complete when? also did you get options to schedule or set date/

also damn I gotta start answering phone calls now (hopefully)
I’ll double check in a bit! I got the call as I was getting read to change my gf’s mom’s oil lol. And yes do that! My phone is on silent and I just happened to look at it when a random number from California called and then the name Charles R Drew clicked!!!

I did get the “option” to move it later in the day but I stuck with the date and time they provided.

I’ll double check in a bit! I got the call as I was getting read to change my gf’s mom’s oil lol. And yes do that! My phone is on silent and I just happened to look at it when a random number from California called and then the name Charles R Drew clicked!!!

I did get the “option” to move it later in the day but I stuck with the date and time they provided.
yeah PM me

did they send a voicemail ?

When I saw the "Charles Drew" caller ID I had a huge heart attack. First interview of my cycle holy crap.
URM, OS, completed early LM 65

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 9 users
Congrats to those who received an II! Did you have two semesters of biochem? Just curious to see if they are strict with it haha

I’m so nervous, I’m praying we also get a call for an interview😭

Congrats to those who received an II! Did you have two semesters of biochem? Just curious to see if they are strict with it haha
No I've completed biochem 1 but not 2, I believe they follow the same procedure as most schools where they expect it to be completed upon matriculation, but you'll still get an interview if you haven't done it yet.

Last edited: