2022-2023 Charles R. Drew University

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
just tried calling admissions to ask about biochem! no one answered..it was an automated message

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea that's what I would guess they were doing, but honestly I think they might end up weeding out essentially everybody lol. The pool of us URM applicants is already pretty small, even less the ones with the stats that they might want, and this requirement on top of it makes it seem like a very small group of individuals they are choosing from.
Unfortunately they will still get multiple times the number of qualified applicants that fit their mission. It is just so insanely competitive; I guess they did not want 5000+ applications this late in the cycle since they have to go through all the apps in a matter of 3-4 months while interviewing PLUS working out all the kinks for their first full class..

Reactions: 1 users
I emailed them about prerequisites and got this reply “The admissions committee welcomes your application and makes decisions on missing prerequisites on case by case basis.”

Reactions: 8 users
Movement finally.

Prompts:
1. The university’s vision statement is “Excellent health and wellness for all in a world without health disparities”. Describe how you envision yourself contributing to the CDU vision statement. (1200 characters)
2. Describe your commitment to transforming the health of diverse and underserved communities. (800 characters)
3. Detail the key motivational factors in your decision to apply to the CDU MD Program. (1200 characters).
4. Have you participated in any CDU programs (pipeline, degree, community, etc.)? Please describe. (Optional and 800 characters)
5. How did you hear about our new MD program? (Optional and unlimited characters)

Reactions: 4 users
Movement finally.

Prompts:
1. The university’s vision statement is “Excellent health and wellness for all in a world without health disparities”. Describe how you envision yourself contributing to the CDU vision statement. (1200 characters)
2. Describe your commitment to transforming the health of diverse and underserved communities. (800 characters)
3. Detail the key motivational factors in your decision to apply to the CDU MD Program. (1200 characters).
4. Have you participated in any CDU programs (pipeline, degree, community, etc.)? Please describe. (Optional and 800 characters)
5. How did you hear about our new MD program? (Optional and unlimited characters)

I could have sworn the website says there’s no required secondary…?

did anyone get receipt from CDU indicating their application was received?
Yes, submitted my primary 11/15, got confirmation of application with secondary prompts 15 minutes ago. They said they would follow-up with the secondary portal in a follow-up email.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I understand calculus 1 and 2 but not TWO semesters of biochem…. Don’t think any established medical school requires 2 semesters of biochem… Not even Harvard strictly requires 2 semesters of biochem.. Wow ... Unfortunately they are potentially weeding out applicants that fit their mission from that. Very interesting for a new school indeed..
Yeah, I thought that was odd as well. Most schools only require one semester. I said I was going to shoot my shot anyways, and see how far I get (with only one sem of BioChem). If I get the A, and they are strict on the BioChem requirement - depending on my other options, may just take a CC or extension school BioChem course in Spring.

I feel like my answer for #1-3 are the same.

Just got mine. Did anyone else get it? I wonder if they are screening or just sending it to everyone?

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
I got a secondary! Took both calc 1 and calc 2 but I have only one semester of biochem. Hopefully a good sign!!

I feel like my answer for #1-3 are the same.
They are subtlety different. 1. How would you contribute to this mission. 2. What have you done for underserved communities. 3. Why us.

There will be overlaps in saying I want to do this cause I’ve done this but should be different answers overall. I agree my answers are gonna be highly tied to 2-3 activities.

They are subtlety different. 1. How would you contribute to this mission. 2. What have you done for underserved communities. 3. Why us.

There will be overlaps in saying I want to do this cause I’ve done this but should be different answers overall. I agree my answers are gonna be highly tied to 2-3 activities.
1) My mission of serving underserved => aligned missions
2) Serve underserved
3) My mission of serving underserved => aligned missions => mission fit

(I know I can do the work to differentiate, but, at first glance, that was my thought process^)

I just got my secondary too! I also wonder if they are screening primaries or just sending them to everyone

i feel like they dont screen as so many people got them! also did anyone get the portal info yet??

Received secondary today as well. I'm a little concerned that sending my application to this program may affect my chances at CDU/UCLA, and vice versa. Anyone else with this concern? Also, should I make my secondary essays different from my CDU/ UCLA app, or can I copy+paste as appropriate?

Received secondary today as well. I'm a little concerned that sending my application to this program may affect my chances at CDU/UCLA, and vice versa. Anyone else with this concern? Also, should I make my secondary essays different from my CDU/ UCLA app, or can I copy+paste as appropriate?
Maybe not. I got rejected from cdu/ucla a few days ago lol.
I think you should make them different somehow instead of copying and pasting

i feel like they dont screen as so many people got them! also did anyone get the portal info yet??
According to their FAQs, they do. Probably more people since there are 60 seats. Plus, from a business aspect, since it's a free secondary, they won't profit sending so many of them.

anyone else receive a secondary email with prompts included but no email for access to the portal?? umm kinda need that especially since they emphasized 2 week deadline

anyone else receive a secondary email with prompts included but no email for access to the portal?? umm kinda need that especially since they emphasized 2 week deadline
Indeed! The email says we'll receive access to the portal soon though :)

yea im just getting a bit worried because its been 3 hours now
I don't think you should worry, they just sent the invite today. If anything, I think they are just trying to get the portal up and running, so they sent everyone the secondary questions to pre-write in advance. So I think for right now, focus your energy on writing or re-purposing what you have to fit the secondary questions. Then over the next few days you will be prepared when the portal link comes through.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I don't think you should worry, they just sent the invite today. If anything, I think they are just trying to get the portal up and running, so they sent everyone the secondary questions to pre-write in advance. So I think for right now, focus your energy on writing or re-purposing what you have to fit the secondary questions. Then over the next few days you will be prepared when the portal link comes through.
thank you for this kind response. portals are usually sent immediately after or are within the secondary invite so i was just a bit worried and wasn't sure if i was the only one

• Care
thank you for this kind response. portals are usually sent immediately after or are within the secondary invite so i was just a bit worried and wasn't sure if i was the only one
just as a heads up, I just got an email with a link to the portal--the email header said UCLA/Drew Medical education program, but when I actually clicked on the portal link it says its for "the new CDU MD program". :)

Reactions: 4 users
just as a heads up, I just got an email with a link to the portal--the email header said UCLA/Drew Medical education program, but when I actually clicked on the portal link it says its for "the new CDU MD program". :)
Same!

One of us should email them and let them know about the typo

Thank you so much for letting me know!! I just got mine too :)

I got this too and was annoyed for a second. I just got pre-secondary rejected from UCLA/Drew on Friday and know the cycle is just about wrapping up for them. Now they want to ask for a secondary and also a secondary from Drew too. I mean I would still fill both out anyways, and would really hope I get an II from either, but I'm gonna complain about it the whole time.

I got this too and was annoyed for a second. I just got pre-secondary rejected from UCLA/Drew on Friday and know the cycle is just about wrapping up for them. Now they want to ask for a secondary and also a secondary from Drew too. I mean I would still fill both out anyways, and would really hope I get an II from either, but I'm gonna complain about it the whole time.
lmao at "I'm gonna complain about it the whole time", I feel that in my soul.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
ok wait i got the same email..are we sure its a typo? why would they send a mass email like that and not check 😭

Looks like they’re just having to use the same secondary portal. If you open the link it’s for this program.

Wait the cycle is wrapping up for them? I completed my secondary for them a few weeks back. I wonder if I’ll get a rejection soon

i also got the ucla/drew secondary email and was rejected by the joint program on friday lol

i highly doubt they are offering the ucla/drew secondary to all of us because we applied for the solo drew program so my guess is that its a typo
Sorry to hear. Was this pre or post interview?

the thing is why wouldn't they check the email subject + the email itself before sending it off?

Wait the cycle is wrapping up for them? I completed my secondary for them a few weeks back. I wonder if I’ll get a rejection soon
Supposedly they wrap up in December. Look on this years and last years threads but they are done doing II by then. Makes sense as they only fill 24 seats. Probably interview 100-150 applicants.

Does anyone know if they take committee letters? The secondary says to “Please make sure to assign 3 to 5
letters of recommendation in your AMCAS application.”

However, on AMCAS under the individual letter heading it says “If you have already included an Individual letter within ether a committee letter or letter packet, you do not need to add a separate entry for the individual letter.”

So what now?