2022-2023 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Congrats on the II everyone!! 🎊 Were you all marked complete before the II or stuck at some odd %?
I want to know this too. I just got an email that my supplemental was received (submitted 3 days ago) but my acom portal still only says 13%

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I spent some time on them but I also pre wrote a lot of mine. That and my main focus is rural medicine
I spent time writing the first 5-10 secondaries, and since then just recycled the writing since schools have similar prompts. idk, weird feeling knowing I can now complete a secondary in 30 min lol

Reactions: 1 users
did you do snapshot too? I did Casper and duet but I've procrastinated snapshot ughh
I did not do snapshot. Only duet and casper. ACOM only looks at casper no duet or snap

Those that go II did you do Casper already?
yes. Idk my score but it has been distributed to my school list. Your application wont be complete for review until casper is sent.

I submitted my secondary like two weeks ago and my portal still says 13% even though I have everything completed. is this happening to anyone else and does anyone know why?

I submitted my secondary like two weeks ago and my portal still says 13% even though I have everything completed. is this happening to anyone else and does anyone know why?
Yes everybody’s is saying this.

Interview format: 30 minute session with two adcom members (virtual) anywhere from 9-12 on your selected date. Following that there is a meeting discussing the school, clubs, ect. from 1-3 (which is mandatory to attend). This is followed by a Q&A from 4-5 (not mandatory but “highly recommended”)

Members don't see this ad :)
What did you guys do for the professional photo? Did you actually get a professional photo taken? I'm thinking of putting on a dress shirt and tie and taking a picture at home with my brother. I'm hoping that's OK...

What did you guys do for the professional photo? Did you actually get a professional photo taken? I'm thinking of putting on a dress shirt and tie and taking a picture at home with my brother. I'm hoping that's OK...
I had a headshot, but I'm SURE many, many people will be using an at-home version of a headshot, you'll be fine. White/solid color background, high quality, not edited/filtered.

My DO LOR got rejected because I didn't shadow them... but the ACOM LOR requirements page says,

"Applicants must submit a letter of recommendation (LOR) from a physician (DO is preferred). Letters should provide details of the applicant’s exposure to patients and their ability to perform in a medical setting.
It can reflect shadowing, volunteering, or work experience."

It doesn't explicitly say that we have to have shadowed them. Technically this could mean the physician knows you and your clinical volunteering experiences. I'm so bummed what the heck?? Now I'm screwed.. I have to either contact the couple of MD physicians I shadowed pre-covid and ask them if they even remember me and can write a brief letter ASAP to send in, or start cold-calling random DOs in the state I just moved to...

UGH.

Wait what? So the doctor I got my letter from only talked about my work experience there. Does this mean my letter isn't eligible because it doesn't mention shadowing?

My DO LOR got rejected because I didn't shadow them... but the ACOM LOR requirements page says,

"Applicants must submit a letter of recommendation (LOR) from a physician (DO is preferred). Letters should provide details of the applicant’s exposure to patients and their ability to perform in a medical setting.
It can reflect shadowing, volunteering, or work experience."

It doesn't explicitly say that we have to have shadowed them. Technically this could mean the physician knows you and your clinical volunteering experiences. I'm so bummed what the heck?? Now I'm screwed.. I have to either contact the couple of MD physicians I shadowed pre-covid and ask them if they even remember me and can write a brief letter ASAP to send in, or start cold-calling random DOs in the state I just moved to...

UGH.
I wonder why they are so strict with letters.
I had to get some of my letters to get signed and add letterheads.

I... guess????? I don't know. I'm SO upset.... Gonna have to haul ass to figure this out.
That doesn’t make sense. I had an md letter from my work experience and I got an interview.

Food for thought here: Since they screen, what percentage of total applicants do y'all think get secondaries? And then the percentage from secondary to interview, and finally interview to acceptance?

Food for thought here: Since they screen, what percentage of total applicants do y'all think get secondaries? And then the percentage from secondary to interview, and finally interview to acceptance?
There is data on this on there website with exact numbers

Reactions: 3 users
Received the complete email today but still stuck at 25%. I submitted the secondary a week ago.

Last edited:
I wouldn’t worry too much about the percentage complete. I’m in the incoming class & my portal percentage is at like 43% lol

Reactions: 2 users
I see a lot of talk with people of 49X MCAT getting an R from here, I just submitted my primary and have a 49X MCAT but also indicated on my primary I’d be taking the exam again which I did on 6/30/22, should I still expect a soft R or will I be okay?

118/746 = 15.8%

Source: the link posted in this thread of the stats for ACOM

It's gonna be a bit higher than that, since they always accept more than the class size to account for people choosing different schools.

I have read somewhere that DO post-II acceptance rates tend to be higher than the MD counterparts.

Just checked my portal and it says "Interview Waitlist - Hold"
Wonder if that means they are interviewing high-stat applicants first.

I'm also still at 13% but I got an email that my application was completed.
I really dislike their portal. One of the more confusing ones I have had so far.

Just checked my portal and it says "Interview Waitlist - Hold"
Wonder if that means they are interviewing high-stat applicants first.

I'm also still at 13% but I got an email that my application was completed.
I really dislike their portal. One of the more confusing ones I have had so far.
I think they interview 501+ people first. Someone on last year’s thread said this.

has anyone heard the exact times interviews will start? Mine is 7/21 and haven't received an email with more info yet on the agenda :)

has anyone heard the exact times interviews will start? Mine is 7/21 and haven't received an email with more info yet on the agenda :)
They said they will send info out the week of interview.

How long after getting marked complete did y'all get IIs?

I just got the complete email today! After scrambling to get another physician lor... :rolleyes:

How long after getting marked complete did y'all get IIs?

I just got the complete email today! After scrambling to get another physician lor... :rolleyes:
I got the II the same day. They’re super quick with everything. You got this!! 👍🏼

I’ve been snooping on the last couple of cycles’ forums here at this school, and apparently there’s been lots of acceptances from july/aug interviewees just a week or two after interview. I know this is a rolling admissions school, so does getting invited for first wave interviews mean a lot towards an acceptance?! Maybe im getting my hopes up too much lol

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
I’ve been snooping on the last couple of cycles’ forums here at this school, and apparently there’s been lots of acceptances from july/aug interviewees just a week or two after interview. I know this is a rolling admissions school, so does getting invited for first wave interviews mean a lot towards an acceptance?! Maybe im getting my hopes up too much lol

If you nail the interview, you're in. The post-interview acceptance rate is also fairly high for DO schools compared to MD, so prep for that interview like there's no tomorrow.

Reactions: 2 users