2022-2023 Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine (ACOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
lol 505 but no secondary or rejection

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
What in the world...the email I got said I didn't have a 501 and that's why I'm rejected. Can you explain how you managed to get accepted, let alone a secondary? I don't get where I went wrong
Maybe 501 is ORM cut off.

Reactions: 1 user
ACOM grad here, good luck everyone!

I remember being annoyed about admin things when I went to ACOM but after talking to some co-residents I see now that ACOM actually did a lot to support us and provided us with a lot of resources compared to some other DO schools. If you get accepted here and matriculate, you will be in good hands.

Reactions: 4 users
is anyone else having trouble answering secondary questions 2 and 3?
2. The Alabama College of Osteopathic Medicine promotes values and equity from various cultural, social, and economic backgrounds. Discuss the role that diversity played in your decision to become an osteopathic medical school applicant. (250 words
3. What are your personal attributes that demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy? (500 words or less)

any tips would be very helpful TIA!!

Just received confirmation that they received my secondary (I submitted the secondary the first day they fixed the application portal).

Members don't see this ad :)
Update: Mine is working now. First school to also ask for my drivers license and birth certificate in a secondary

This is probably a dumb question but did you upload both the front and back of your drivers license or just the front? I assume it’s just the front but this entire app process makes me second guess myself

This is probably a dumb question but did you upload both the front and back of your drivers license or just the front? I assume it’s just the front but this entire app process makes me second guess myself
I believe just the front.

I just did the front

[mention]thebizniskitty [/mention] [mention]EArlyBirdGetsTheWorm [/mention] thank you!

Reactions: 1 users
I uploaded both just to be safe

Just got an email from them that some of my letters dont qualify because they are missing a letterhead.
The people that I asked for letters specifically the ones that did not send letter heads are not the most tech savvy.
Kind of thinking of just giving up on this school. Out of all of the schools that I have sent secondaries so far, this is the only one that has had issues with it.

Just got an email from them that some of my letters dont qualify because they are missing a letterhead.
The people that I asked for letters specifically the ones that did not send letter heads are not the most tech savvy.
Kind of thinking of just giving up on this school. Out of all of the schools that I have sent secondaries so far, this is the only one that has had issues with it.
I received the same email from them. I have also been marked complete everywhere else.

What are you planning to do?
If im being honest ACOM is on the bottom of my school list, but I am also scared that I dont get in anywhere else and regret it because I didnt try to get the letters fixed. Im worried that its going to take a few weeks to get the letters fixed and by then it will be too late.
I only had one letter that needs a letterhead, so I forwarded my letter writer the email from ACOM and she is going to resubmit today with a letterhead to ACOM’s email. I feel the same way lol but I am hoping they’ll mark my file complete soon

What are you planning to do?
If im being honest ACOM is on the bottom of my school list, but I am also scared that I dont get in anywhere else and regret it because I didnt try to get the letters fixed. Im worried that its going to take a few weeks to get the letters fixed and by then it will be too late.
A few weeks' delay will not be the end of the world. As someone who sits on an admissions committee, a letter of recommendation without letterhead and/or a signature lends itself to suspicion when the fix is fairly simple and straightforward.

A few weeks' delay will not be the end of the world. As someone who sits on an admissions committee, a letter of recommendation without letterhead and/or a signature lends itself to suspicion when the fix is fairly simple and straightforward.
Thanks for your advice. I just emailed my writers. Even if the letters dont get fixed, at least I tried. Plus I already paid the secondary fee.

I got a rejection email on Tuesday (3.86, 514), was pretty disappointed.
Woke up this morning to a secondary invite.

Really confused. Both emails are directly addressed to me, but maybe they accidently sent me a secondary? Did anyone else get the same emails?

Last edited:
I got a rejection email on Tuesday (3.86, 514), was pretty disappointed.
Woke up this morning to a secondary invite.

Really confused. Both emails are directly addressed to me, but maybe they accidently sent me a secondary? Did anyone else get the same emails?
Same happened to me ,I submitted and says I’m under review

I'm so confused about word count - the email says all are 250 words, but then the last prompt (about osteopathic attributes) says 500.. so are the first two 250 and the last one 500? The whole "You must complete the supplemental application once you begin. There is no option to save information and return later." Is making me scared to open the portal before I finish my essays..

I'm so confused about word count - the email says all are 250 words, but then the last prompt (about osteopathic attributes) says 500.. so are the first two 250 and the last one 500? The whole "You must complete the supplemental application once you begin. There is no option to save information and return later." Is making me scared to open the portal before I finish my essays..
I opened it even before I had any of the prompts finished. They want you to type everything out in a word doc or something so you have the prompts saved on your end. They don’t want you start answering them there and then. It lets you save the basic info but not the essay prompts.

Do we have a definitive answer of the word count for the last question to know if it's 250 or 500 words?

Do we have a definitive answer of the word count for the last question to know if it's 250 or 500 words?
Just submitted yesterday, it's definitely 500! :)

What are your personal attributes that demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy? 500 words

Can someone please explain what this prompt is supposed to mean? Like how does having integrity mean I follow a medical philosophy? Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but this seems like a weird connection to make for me.

What are your personal attributes that demonstrate the osteopathic philosophy? 500 words

Can someone please explain what this prompt is supposed to mean? Like how does having integrity mean I follow a medical philosophy? Maybe I'm overanalyzing, but this seems like a weird connection to make for me.
Do some googling on what the osteopathic philosophy is.

In short - mind, body, spirit | holistic approach| taking into account people's backgrounds

what personal attributes do you have that align with that thinking?

Holy cow that's fast!! Congrats! e-mail? When did you submit your secondary?

It was sent by email. I submitted my secondary on 6/27 (the first day they got their portal fixed) but I received the secondary on 6/22

I thought II come in August lol....
It's different for each school. (Check out last years threads) Last year ACOM gave out IIs middle of July, so this is on track.

Congrats on the II everyone!! 🎊 Were you all marked complete before the II or stuck at some odd %?

Wondering for those that got invited. Did y'all spend significant time on secondaries, or just answered and moved on? I'm starting to feel that secondaries are the tiebreaker because it's specific to that school and shows who really cares about that school.

Wondering for those that got invited. Did y'all spend significant time on secondaries, or just answered and moved on? I'm starting to feel that secondaries are the tiebreaker because it's specific to that school and shows who really cares about that school.

I spent some time on them but I also pre wrote a lot of mine. That and my main focus is rural medicine

Those that go II did you do Casper already?