2021 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
School: Ohio State
Major: B.S Psychology and Neuroscience
GPA: Cumulative 3.59, Majors 3.67/3.62
GRE: N/A
Experience 1.5 years full-time Alzheimer’s research, 3 years undergrad research, multiple clinical experiences

Applied: JHU, OSU, GWU, USC
Interview: JHU (12/28), OSU (1/22)
Accepted: JHU (12/28)
Attending:
Hope you join the linkedin group we made!

Members don't see this ad.

Could anyone who has had an interview with GWU tell me what the interview was like?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone, been following this thread for a while, so thought I'd join in!

School: UCLA
Major: Molecular Biology
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.4
Experience: 3 years healthcare consulting, Summer Biotech internship, 1 year medical device startup, 1 year research

Applied: Johns Hopkins, University of Michigan, Columbia, VCU, USC, Harvard (MPH)
Interview: Johns Hopkins, Columbia
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
I'm from UCLA too and applied to similar schools, PM me if you wanna be stressed out together haha

Could anyone who has had an interview with GWU tell me what the interview was like?
Mine lasted around an hour, although it was supposed to be 45 minutes. The interviewer basically asked the common questions like why GWU, why the MHA program, what are your strengths/weaknesses, and how you deal with conflict. Then, for the rest of the time, they allowed me to ask any questions I had about the program. We also discussed my specific interests in healthcare, which they read on my personal statement. The interviewer was really nice and was open to any questions!
What was the Columbia Interview like? Was it informal and did they ask basic/general questions about your personal background and why you want to join the program?
Like other answers, it was conducted by a second-year MHA student at Columbia, and it lasted around 30 minutes. They asked why Mailman and why MHA. Then, it was pretty free to just ask questions and learn more about the MHA program at Columbia.

Reactions: 1 user
Is it too late to apply now for the 2021 fall cycle?

Not necessarily, Some schools have deadlines in January and even later. However, admission is on a rolling basis, so it may or may not impact your admission chances applying in later cycles.

Not necessarily, Some schools have deadlines in January and even later. However, admission is on a rolling basis, so it may or may not impact your admission chances applying in later cycles.
Thanks for your reply!
Do you know the acceptance rate, number of applicants vs number of admitted students etc for an MHA program?

Is it too late to apply now for the 2021 fall cycle?
I know some schools have a deadline for 1/15/2021. I know specifically that Texas A&M has its last deadline in May of 2021.

Mine lasted around an hour, although it was supposed to be 45 minutes. The interviewer basically asked the common questions like why GWU, why the MHA program, what are your strengths/weaknesses, and how you deal with conflict. Then, for the rest of the time, they allowed me to ask any questions I had about the program. We also discussed my specific interests in healthcare, which they read on my personal statement. The interviewer was really nice and was open to any questions!

Like other answers, it was conducted by a second-year MHA student at Columbia, and it lasted around 30 minutes. They asked why Mailman and why MHA. Then, it was pretty free to just ask questions and learn more about the MHA program at Columbia.
Does Columbia offer these interviews with current students to everyone? Or just selected students?

School: Medium-sized State School
GPA: 3.78
GRE: Did not submit.
Major: B.A. Political Science with minors in Psychology, Business Administration
Experience:
  • 1.5 years as a Community Benefit Intern @ Local Health System
  • 4 years in Student Government, currently Student Body President
  • 4 years in a molecular physics research group (unrelated to public health)
Special Factors:
  • Lean Six Sigma Yellow Belt

Applied: OSU (9/27), Minnesota (9/27), GW (10/1), JHU (11/3), (11/15)- Cornell (Withdrew 12/2), Michigan, UNC, Columbia
Interview: JHU (11/16), OSU (11/20), Minnesota (12/4), Michigan (12/14), GW (12/15), UNC (1/15)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (11/17), OSU (12/2), Minnesota (12/8), GW (12/17), Michigan (12/18)
Attending:
I am applying to relatively similar schools. . . can you please share how the interviews were for UMN and UMich? Any advice?

School: Foreign school
Major: Dentistry
Minor: -
GPA: Cumulative 3.89 (SOPHAS)
Experience: Dental Intern - 1 year, Process analyst - 1 year, student body representative - 4 years, volunteer experience with rural populations - 1 year, tobacco counselling, emergency medicine intern - 1 month
Special Factors: International student, did basic microeconomics and statistic courses (prerequisites)

Applied: UNC, Columbia, Cornell, Ohio State, Michigan, Minnesota, PennState, University of Washington
Interview: Cornell (11/17), Minnesota (11/20), PennState (12/7), UNC (12/11)
Waitlist:
Rejected: OSU (12/7)
Accepted: PennState(12/8), Minnesota (12/8), UNC (12/21)
Attending:
Can you please share any advice you have for the interviews? I am preparing for interviews I have scheduled in the next couple of weeks.

Does Columbia offer these interviews with current students to everyone? Or just selected students?
Interviews happen if they looked at your application and moved you forward to the interview round, so it isn't with every applicant but those chosen.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else had an interview that you didn't feel as confident about? I think I got so nervous that the interaction felt awkward and now I'm cringing at how I might have come across to the interviewer. You live and you learn!

Reactions: 1 users
Just received an email to interview with Columbia U (MHA). Interviewing tomorrow!

For anyone who has interviewed with either Michigan or Columbia, do you know when we are expected to hear back about a final decision? It has been 2 weeks since my Michigan interview, but I'd imagine the holidays slowed things down.

Would anyone who has already interviewed with Ohio State be willing to share their experience?

Hi everyone! Thought it was time post here though I’ve been following for a while!

School: Loyola Marymount University
Major: B.S. Biology
Minor: n/a
GPA: 3.52

Experiences: Division 1 swimmer for 4 years, 250 clinical hours as nursing assistant, summer volunteer for a hospital’s contracts and compliance department (100 hours), Direct of Social Events for Tri Delta, member of Tri Beta honors society, Deans list every semester but two, lifeguard and swim instructor, volunteer for a clothesline and local food bank

Applied: University of Illinois Chicago (12/1), UAB (12/1), University of Memphis (12/1), UNC Chapel Hill (12/3), University of Southern California (12/15), University of Washington (1/15), GWU (1/15), Tulane (1/15)
Interview: UAB (1/13), UM (1/15), UNC (1/22), Tulane (2/3), (GWU 2/12), UW (3/1)
Waitlist:
Rejected: UAB (2/23)
Accepted: U Memphis (1/20), UNC (2/1), UIC (2/20), USC plus 25% tuition (2/22), GWU (2/23), Tulane (2/25), University of Washington (3/12)
Attending:

Last edited:
For anyone who has interviewed with either Michigan or Columbia, do you know when we are expected to hear back about a final decision? It has been 2 weeks since my Michigan interview, but I'd imagine the holidays slowed things down.
Haven't heard anything from Michigan either. My interview went well and the interviewer told me that she would recommend me to the admissions committee, so I think I got in haha. I think the holidays are slowing things down and we'll probably receive more news in the coming days

Can you please share any advice you have for the interviews? I am preparing for interviews I have scheduled in the next couple of weeks.
Most of the interviews I've attended are pretty straightforward. Why the University, Why the MHA, career goals and your professional interests. Behaviour questions evaluating your critical thinking and your experiences are also common. My advice would be to just be yourself, be prepared with your story and have a conversation with the interviewer. I'm sure you'll do awesome.

All the best for your interview!

I had my interview with Columbia about two weeks ago. Does anyone know when we'll hear back?

School: UCLA
Major: B.S Anthropology
Minor: Gerontology / Global Health
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.55 / 3.98
Experience: Healthcare Consulting, Work at Health Policy Research Center, Gerontology Research, Nursing Volunteer at Local Hospital, Global Health Volunteer Work (India), Access to Higher Education Work (student ambassador, tour guide, financial supports commission)
Special Factors: First Generation, Interest in Older Adults

Applied: USC (12/14), JHU (12/16), Columbia (12/30 ~ pretty late), UNC (still deciding)
Interview: JHU (1/6) Columbia (request 1/26)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: JHU (1/7)
Attending:

*I've spent way too much time on these forums the past few months, thanks for all of the support*

Last edited:
I interviewed with Michigan on a Monday and found out on Friday! Mine was also before the holiday break though so I wouldn't stress

Would anyone who has already interviewed with Ohio State be willing to share their experience?
The zoom event was great and pretty seamless, just a bit long. The student interviews were extremely casual--just me asking most of the questions. The faculty interviews were more of your standard behavioral and they want to know about your unique healthcare interests. Just know your story, your resume, and your reasons for pursuing the degree, and you'll be good to go. Plenty of time for questions though, so make sure you have a mental list you can pull from!

Has anyone interviewed with VCU or have experience with the school?

Do I have a realistic shot at getting into University of Washington? I feel like I lack healthcare experience and am just finishing up my application now.

Undergrad: CSM A.A in Kinesiology and transferred to UCLA, B.A in Sociology
GPA: 3.5 last 90, 3.6 cumulative
Healthcare Experience: 100 hospital volunteer hours and been working as an EMT the past few months.
Other: Spent 4 years in the Navy. Resident assistant during undergrad. Tutored at local CC. First generation student and American. Low-income family.

Maybe I'll look into more programs with later deadlines if I don't get in. Appreciate the help!

Has anyone heard from Cornell recently (especially regarding interviews)? I haven't received any word from them since submitting my application on 11/16.

Has anyone heard from Cornell recently (especially regarding interviews)? I haven't received any word from them since submitting my application on 11/16.
I was accepted a couple of days ago and I interviewed with them on 11/18. I'm guessing that they're probably starting to get back to doing admissions stuff now that most schools are starting their semesters this week.

I heard from them about a week ago to schedule an interview with a program director and student. I submitted my application around the same time.

I was accepted a couple of days ago and I interviewed with them on 11/18. I'm guessing that they're probably starting to get back to doing admissions stuff now that most schools are starting their semesters this week.
Congratulations!!!
I heard from them about a week ago to schedule an interview with a program director and student. I submitted my application around the same time.
Ok, thank you. Good luck on your interview!

What us the deal with these MHA programs at this time? Can they be done online?

I applied kinda late, and here are the results so far.

School: Tulane
Major: Finance, Management, Public Health
Minor: N/A
GPA: Cumulative 3.93/4
GRE: V 155 Q 170
Experience: Hospital administrative internships for the past two summers (Documentation Excellence & Financial Operations), Data Management Intern at a local nonprofit organization, equity analyst for a regional investment conference, president of two student orgs at Tulane
Special Factors: First Generation Immigrant, English second language

Applied: Cornell(11/30), Ohio State (11/30), UMich (11/30), Yale (12/14), Emory (12/21), JHU (1/12), Tulane (1/15)
Interview: UMich (12/17), Ohio State (1/8), Cornell (1/13), Tulane (2/3)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: UMich (1/6), Ohio State (1/11), Cornell (1/14), Emory (1/25), Yale (2/24)
Attending:

Last edited:
Does anyone know when Columbia sends out decisions?
Looking at the last MHA Forum is looks like most admission decisions came in very late January & early February.

I feel like I've been looking into these programs and now I'm like "how do I even pay for this?". Anyone else super concerned about finances??

Reactions: 5 users
I feel like I've been looking into these programs and now I'm like "how do I even pay for this?". Anyone else super concerned about finances??
You may want to look into Xavier University. A very affordable and well respected program that has regularly been highly ranked.

In at Yale! Application was sent for review on 12/20. :)

In at Yale! Application was sent for review on 12/20. :)
I also got into Yale! I was curious if anyone knows how Yale's program is. Do they give good financial aid? Is it easy to find a fellowship/job after graduating from Yale given that it isn't CAHME accredited?

• Love
Has anyone heard back from UIC or Rush recently (regarding interviews)?

I'm from UCLA too and applied to similar schools, PM me if you wanna be stressed out together haha
Hello,

I am applying to UCLA MPH...please PM me if you have any pointers with applying!

Hi everyone! I am joining this forum pretty late, but wanted to hop in as I have been watching it for a while now.

School: University of Wisconsin-Madison
Major: Neurobiology
Minors (15-credit Certificates): Disability Rights and Services, Health and the Humanities
GPA: Cumulative 3.43/4 (very sharp upward trend during last 3 semesters)
Relevant Experience: I've been working for 4 months as a Health Unit Coordinator on the Heart and Vascular Progressive Care Unit at the top hospital in Wisconsin. During undergrad I worked in a diabetes research lab 10 hours/week for 3 semesters and a neurology research lab for 5 hours/week for 1 semester. I have extensive experience with individuals with disabilities, including many volunteer hours with special education programs and Special Olympics. I also worked as a Behavioral Treatment Technician for the Wisconsin Early Autism Project for 5 months in 2019. Unfortunately, I missed out on an internship opportunity with the Wisconsin Department of Health Services for the Summer of 2020 because resources were allocated to the COVID-19 response.

I applied in January because I waited to get healthcare experience and I had personal issues that set me back. I'm waiting on responses for almost every school because I am still submitting applications.

Applied: JHU (1/15), Xavier (1/18), Minnesota (1/26)
Interview: Xavier, Minnesota (declined)
Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU
Accepted: Xavier with 30% scholarship
Attending: Xavier!!!

Last edited:
Hi everyone! I am joining this forum pretty late, but wanted to hop in as I have been watching it for a while now.

School: University of Wisconsin-Madison
Major: Neurobiology
Minors (15-credit Certificates): Disability Rights and Services, Health and the Humanities
GPA: Cumulative 3.43/4 (very sharp upward trend during last 3 semesters)
Relevant Experience: I've been working for 4 months as a Health Unit Coordinator on the Heart and Vascular Progressive Care Unit at the top hospital in Wisconsin. During undergrad I worked in a diabetes research lab 10 hours/week for 3 semesters and a neurology research lab for 5 hours/week for 1 semester. I have extensive experience with individuals with disabilities, including many volunteer hours with special education programs and Special Olympics. I also worked as a Behavioral Treatment Technician for the Wisconsin Early Autism Project for 5 months in 2019. Unfortunately, I missed out on an internship opportunity with the Wisconsin Department of Health Services for the Summer of 2020 because resources were allocated to the COVID-19 response.

I applied in January because I waited to get healthcare experience and I had personal issues that set me back. I'm waiting on responses for almost every school because I am still submitting applications.

Applied: JHU (1/15), Xavier (1/18), Minnesota, UI-Ch
Interview: Xavier
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:
Attending:

Also, if anyone has advice for interviewing with Xavier I'd love to hear it! Thanks!

Hey! Xavier is a really solid school, I really enjoyed interviewing there and they have a strong alumni base. Tuition is phenomenal (35K for 3 years!) plus the residency experience. I got in but chose Hopkins for a variety of reasons. I heard mixed things about UIC, heard it isn't a good program and my experience with SLU was terrible. They never replied to my emails, canceled the interview last minute. Just a terrible process honestly. Says a lot about the school, xavier was extremely good with communication and hopkins too. good luck!