2021 MHA: Applied, Interviewed, Rejected, Attending

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How was your interview with Iowa?
Congratulations on Hopkins!
Thanks! I actually declined all the other interviews, so unfortunately I cannot speak to Iowa's process.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For those who applied to Seton Hall, I submitted my application through HAMPCAS on 10/30 and received an acceptance call today, if that helps give you some kind of indicator of time, for those interested.

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed with Hopkins on Thursday. The interview was very straightforward. It was just a time to meet and get to know me. They told me I can safely assume that I was accepted and that I will receive a formal offer within the week!

Reactions: 2 users
I interviewed with Hopkins on Thursday. The interview was very straightforward. It was just a time to meet and get to know me. They told me I can safely assume that I was accepted and that I will receive a formal offer within the week!

Congrats on Hopkins!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Just interviewed with GW and the person who interviewed me was super nice and very friendly! To those of you who are interviewing this week don’t be nervous :)

Just got my JHU acceptance!

Reactions: 4 users
Just interviewed with GW and the person who interviewed me was super nice and very friendly! To those of you who are interviewing this week don’t be nervous :)
Hey, when did you apply to GW?

Started hearing back from schools, so I thought I'd share my application details for everyone and future people to see haha.
School: UC San Diego
Major: B.S Public Health
Minor: Business
GPA: 3.33
GRE: V-159 (82nd percentile); Q-161 (75th percentile); W-4.5 (80th percentile)
Experience: Health policy research intern, TA for health policy undergrad class, research assistant for two digital health research positions, intern at a pharmaceutical company, 1.5 years as a full time study coordinator for health disparities research.

Applied: Columbia University, John Hopkins, George Washington University, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, University of Washington
(Applied to all on 11/27)
Interview: Minnesota (declined), Michigan (12/21), Johns Hopkins (12/14), George Washington University, Columbia, University of Washington
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (12/14), George Washington University, Michigan, Columbia
Attending:

Interview with Hopkins went well! They offered me a spot at the end of the interview.
I think there's a 70% chance I go to Hopkins. The location is nice, it's near DC if i want to pursue more policy related work in the future, and the second year being a full time residency sounds appealing.
I'll still interview at other places, but Hopkins is lookin pretty good.

Last edited:
Congratulations! When did you apply?
Thanks! I applied on 10/19 and I was verified on HAMPCAS 10/21. They told me my app was in review on 11/4.

The interview was very chill as someone else mentioned. I was asked a few classic behavioral questions (name a time you had a conflict, name a time you had to motivate someone to do something), and then the usual why MHA and why GW.

Had my interview with University of Pittsburgh today. DM me if you have questions.

Applied to New Haven, Suffolk, and George Mason.
New Haven: Accepted on 11/24 (applied 11/20): no interview conducted, awarded 50% dean's scholarship
Suffolk: Applied on 12/09, received a voicemail from the program director stating their strong endorsement of me to the committee on 12/15
George Mason: Accepted on 12/17, applied on 11/08, interviewed on 11/19

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know when we’ll hear back from GW about an admission decision? I interviewed with them on 12/15

Has anyone else been accepted to Yale’s MPH in HCM program? Please reach out to me if you have, I would love to discuss choices with you!

Has anyone else been accepted to Yale’s MPH in HCM program? Please reach out to me if you have, I would love to discuss choices with you!
Additionally, is anyone else interviewing with Columbia soon?

Just got my acceptance from University of Pittsburgh!

Got an acceptance email from Ohio State and Michigan earlier today!

Im leaning towards going to Ohio State and I was just wondering if anyone else is considering Ohio State as well. It would Just be nice to talk about comparisons with other programs.

Applied to New Haven, Suffolk, and George Mason.
New Haven: Accepted on 11/24 (applied 11/20): no interview conducted, awarded 50% dean's scholarship
Suffolk: Accepted on 12/18 Applied on 12/09: no interview conducted, but an informal zoom meeting with the program director for Q&A.
George Mason: Accepted on 12/17, applied on 11/08, interviewed on 11/19

Has anyone had any experiences or know anyone who attended any of these programs? I am leaning towards New Haven.

Last edited:
Just got an interview invite from UNC & Columbia

Started hearing back from schools, so I thought I'd share my application details for everyone and future people to see haha.
School: UC San Diego
Major: B.S Public Health
GPA: 3.33
GRE: V-159 (82nd percentile); Q-161 (75th percentile); W-4.5 (80th percentile)
Experience: Health policy research intern, TA for health policy undergrad class, research assistant for two digital health research positions, intern at a pharmaceutical company, 1.5 years as a full time study coordinator for health disparities research.

Applied: Columbia University, John Hopkins, George Washington University, University of Michigan, University of Minnesota, University of Washington
(Applied to all on 11/27)
Interview: Minnesota (January), Michigan (12/21), Johns Hopkins (12/14)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (12/14)
Attending:

Interview with Hopkins went well! They offered me a spot at the end of the interview.
I think there's a 70% chance I go to Hopkins. The location is nice, it's near DC if i want to pursue more policy related work in the future, and the second year being a full time residency sounds appealing.
I'll still interview at other places, but Hopkins is lookin pretty good.
We are about the same credentials and I also interviewed and got accepted to Hopkins. Have you not hear back from Columbia or Washington either?

This platform somewhat encouraged me to apply to graduate school so I figured I would return the favor by posting my stats. I wish everyone the best :)
School: University of Utah
Major: Health, Society, Policy
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.86
GRE: 160V/157Q
Experience: 2 years customer service, 2 years EMS Agency start-up, 6 months policy research
Special Factors: I am applying out of undergrad

Applied: Johns Hopkins, University of Utah, University of Washington, MUSC, University of South Carolina, University of Michigan, Columbia University, Yale
Interview: Johns Hopkins, University of Michigan, University of Utah, MUSC, University of South Carolina, Columbia University
Waitlist: Yale
Rejected:
Accepted: Johns Hopkins, University of Utah, MUSC, University of South Carolina, University of Michigan, Columbia University
Attending:

Last edited:
We are about the same in credentials and I also was accepted to Hopkins. Have you also not received decisions from Michigan, Washington, and Columbia?
Haven't received anything from Washington and columbia yet. I have an interview with Michigan coming up next week

Im leaning towards going to Ohio State and I was just wondering if anyone else is considering Ohio State as well. It would Just be nice to talk about comparisons with other programs.
I'm still waiting to hear back about scholarship/financial aid from other programs but I am leaning towards OSU if you wanna PM me

Last edited:
Just wondering how many interview sessions does UNC conduct each year? Has anyone heard back from interviews on Dec. 11th?

Why is Hopkins your top choice?
It really came down to the accelerated format and 1-year residency for me. I love the quick format and ill leave with a year of work under my belt as well. The brand name also came into consideration, overall the ROI from attending Hopkins is worth it. Plus alumni helped me make my decision as well, they were straight forward and I liked what they had to say about the program. I also couldn't see myself doing 3 years of school with a residency, my other choices were Xavier and VCU. I was considering OSU, UMN, and a few other 2 year schools, but it didn't sit well that I would essentially have to find a competitive fellowship after. Only a small pool of applicants get those positions, and there are only so many hospitals in the country as well. So the residency guarantees me exactly what a fellowship would, but without the competitvness.

It really came down to the accelerated format and 1-year residency for me. I love the quick format and ill leave with a year of work under my belt as well. The brand name also came into consideration, overall the ROI from attending Hopkins is worth it. Plus alumni helped me make my decision as well, they were straight forward and I liked what they had to say about the program. I also couldn't see myself doing 3 years of school with a residency, my other choices were Xavier and VCU. I was considering OSU, UMN, and a few other 2 year schools, but it didn't sit well that I would essentially have to find a competitive fellowship after. Only a small pool of applicants get those positions, and there are only so many hospitals in the country as well. So the residency guarantees me exactly what a fellowship would, but without the competitvness.
I feel similarly so far about Hopkins. Having the second year be full time work where i'll get a full time salary is huge. Feels like I won't be in crippling debt through Hopkins haha. And the fact that you have a good chance of getting your top choice out of the 35 different residencies they offer is big.
I am a little worried that since Hopkins is basically an accelerated one year program, I won't have the luxury of taking my time to explore different paths and I might not learn the same amount as I would from another program, so these are some things that I'll need to ask alumni.

Hi y'all. Glad to see that I have friends on the same grad school journey. From the NOVA area, so if anybody wants to connect, reach out!

School: Vanderbilt
Major: Medicine, Health, & Society
Minor: Korean Language and Culture
GPA: Cumulative 3.689
GRE: 155V (67%), 166Q (87%), 5.0 (92%)

Experience: (Applying straight from undergrad)
- Lab Manager for a Health Policy Lab
- Health Policy Teaching Assistant
- Data Entry/Office Assistant for Vanderbilt Center for Research on Men's Health
- ROTC
- Summer Congressional Fellow

Applied: Johns Hopkins (11/29), GW (11/29), VCU (11/29), Cornell (12/01), Columbia (12/01 - Cancelled my interview with them)), UMINN (12/01) UNC-CH (12/15)
Interview: Johns Hopkins (12/18), GW (1/12)
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted: Johns Hopkins (12/22), GW (1/12)
Attending: Not sure.

Last edited:
I feel similarly so far about Hopkins. Having the second year be full time work where i'll get a full time salary is huge. Feels like I won't be in crippling debt through Hopkins haha. And the fact that you have a good chance of getting your top choice out of the 35 different residencies they offer is big.
I am a little worried that since Hopkins is basically an accelerated one year program, I won't have the luxury of taking my time to explore different paths and I might not learn the same amount as I would from another program, so these are some things that I'll need to ask alumni.

I agree with you as well with regards to learning, but honestly what better learning experience than a residency where you gain real-world experience. Plus in terms of paths, you can tailor the residency to your interests, checkout consulting or hospital admin, etc. I think its overall a good option, I'm coming into the program with a bachelors in healthcare admin, so some of the material will be repeated with exception of a few classes.

Does anyone know the salary range for the residency program? Is it comparable to the salary of a fellowship?

Does anyone know the salary range for the residency program? Is it comparable to the salary of a fellowship?
Having spoken to several alumni, it seems the range is around 40-80K.
Hospital oriented residencies are typically 40-50K
Consulting residencies are 70K+

I wouldn’t worry too much about getting the higher salary residency or aiming for consulting cause it pays more. Won’t matter a few years down the line. ^ from an Alumni.

Last edited:

I wouldn’t worry too much about getting the higher salary residency or aiming for consulting cause it pays more. Won’t matter a few years down the line. ^ from an Alumni.
Im not concerned about salary for the residency. But does anyone know about starting salary range for graduates of the Hopkins MHA program?

:) Just re-emphasizing this as an alumni from the program. Please don't pick a residency or be drawn to it due to income. That one year of extra income won't do you any substantial favors but picking a residency you are interested in definitely will.

Hi everyone, been following this thread for a while, so thought I'd join in!

School: UCLA
Major: Molecular Biology
GPA: Cumulative and Major 3.4
GRE: N/A
Experience: 3 years healthcare consulting, Summer Biotech internship, 1 year medical device startup, 1 year research

Applied: Johns Hopkins, University of Michigan, Columbia, VCU, USC, Harvard (MPH)
Interview: Johns Hopkins, Columbia
Waitlist:
Rejected:
Accepted:

I have a question. I have applied to several schools, as most of us have, some being Columbia, GWU, NYU (the new exec program), Stony Brook (local state school, pending CAHME certification early next year), and have been accepted to Seton Hall. I'm considering applying to Georgetown and George Mason as well. Does anyone have either experience with or information regarding George Mason's program at all? I'm not into a flashy name, but instead interested in the type of program and the type of fit it is for me and me for it. George Mason does seem to have a more affordable tuition than some other schools though, so I'm trying to find out more if I can. Thanks in advance.

Im not concerned about salary for the residency. But does anyone know about starting salary range for graduates of the Hopkins MHA program?
I would reach out to the program directors and see if they know

I have a question. I have applied to several schools, as most of us have, some being Columbia, GWU, NYU (the new exec program), Stony Brook (local state school, pending CAHME certification early next year), and have been accepted to Seton Hall. I'm considering applying to Georgetown and George Mason as well. Does anyone have either experience with or information regarding George Mason's program at all? I'm not into a flashy name, but instead interested in the type of program and the type of fit it is for me and me for it. George Mason does seem to have a more affordable tuition than some other schools though, so I'm trying to find out more if I can. Thanks in advance.
DM me for additional information. I applied to George Mason. GMU and VCU are the cheapest options in the DMV area. The process is about four weeks to get an admissions decision after the interview, they do rolling admissions. I am thinking of declining their acceptance. It is a good program if you want do slightly above part time but below full time (technically full time though for financial aid/tax reasons) if you are working or juggling other things. Their program completion time is 32 months almost three years, must be completed within six years. Longer than a traditional two year program. Most programs are around 1.5 to 2 years. I asked the admissions coordinator if there was a way to take on more classes to complete quicker to at least mimic the traditional two-year programs elsewhere but they said you can decrease courseload but not increase it.

School: Ivy
Major: History
Minor: N/A
GPA: 3.5
GRE: 163 (V), 164 (Q), 4.5 (AWA)
Experience: Research assistant (3 years), tutoring (2 years), 300+ hospital volunteer hours, vice president of service healthcare club at college

Applied: Yale, Columbia University, Cornell, John Hopkins, GWU, USC (all applied around 11/17)
Interview: Columbia (12/21), GWU (12/21), Cornell (1/14)
Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU, Cornell
Accepted: GWU (1/4) +20k, Yale (1/14) +20k, USC (2/22) +50%
Attending:

It's been really helpful throughout the application process reading the posts in this thread. I wish you all good luck during this stressful time! I was wondering, does anyone know around when Yale, USC, and Cornell will get back about admission decisions? Also, has anyone heard back from any of these schools about scholarships? Most of these programs are pretty expensive and I was wondering how much aid they offer.

Last edited:
School: Private university in CA '20
Major: Global Health
GRE: 155V, 161Q, 4.5AWA
Experience: Research assistant at my undergrad university; leadership positions in few student organizations; community service during undergrad; tutoring
Other Factors: Low-income family

Applied: Cornell (11/16), Columbia, Yale, GWU, UCLA, USC (12/1)
Interview: GWU (12/30), Columbia (1/2)
Waitlist:
Rejected: UCLA (1/22), Cornell (1/27)
Accepted: GWU (1/4), Yale (1/13), Columbia (1/21)
Attending:

I've been lurking for a long time, so I wanted to post and hopefully be of help to future MHA prospectives. I will try to update throughout the process. I hope everyone is doing well and staying safe. Wishing you all happy holidays!

Last edited:
Experience: Research assistant (3 years), tutoring (2 years), 300+ hospital volunteer hours, vice president of service healthcare club at college

Applied: Yale, Columbia University, Cornell, John Hopkins, GWU, USC (all applied around 11/17)
Interview: Columbia (12/21), GWU (12/21)
Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU
Accepted:
Attending:

It's been really helpful throughout the application process reading the posts in this thread. I wish you all good luck during this stressful time! I was wondering, does anyone know around when Yale, USC, and Cornell will get back about admission decisions? Also, has anyone heard back from any of these schools about scholarships? Most of these programs are pretty expensive and I was wondering how much aid they offer.
Cornell said late January if you interviewed in the 1st round! Im not sure the time period for the second round

Does Yale conduct interviews during their application process?

Cornell said late January if you interviewed in the 1st round! Im not sure the time period for the second round

Interview: Columbia (12/21), GWU (12/21)
Waitlist:
Rejected: JHU
Accepted:
Attending:

What was the Columbia Interview like? Was it informal and did they ask basic/general questions about your personal background and why you want to join the program?

Just got an interview date for the University of Minnesota (1/22). Applied 12/8. Anyone else?

What was the Columbia Interview like? Was it informal and did they ask basic/general questions about your personal background and why you want to join the program?
They may have changed it from when I did mine 2 years ago but it was informal. You interview with a second year student. No faculty. It's 30 minutes long and they basically talk to you about why their program, what interests you, why healthcare, etc. I'd do some research on the school, their program, etc.

School: Ohio State
Major: B.S Psychology and Neuroscience
GPA: Cumulative 3.59, Majors 3.67/3.62
GRE: N/A
Experience 1.5 years full-time Alzheimer’s research, 3 years undergrad research, multiple clinical experiences

Applied: JHU, OSU, GWU, USC, Rush
Interview: JHU (12/28), OSU (1/8), GWU (12/30), Rush (1/29)
Accepted: JHU (12/28), GWU $$ (1/4), OSU $$ (1/15), Rush (2/1), USC $$ (2/22)
Attending: Ohio State

Last edited: