2021-2022 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hey y'all! Former USF Bull here, SELECT Grad '19 here to answer any questions if you guys have any. Loved the place, the people, the program, very happy two years later. Good luck everyone!

David D MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
For the secondary, they removed the prompt from last year about which practice scenario do you imagine for your future medical career?
I don't believe so? It shows up under General Questions in my secondary application portal. As with last year, the question is the following;

What do you see as the most likely practice scenario for your future medical career? Private Practice, Academic Medicine, Public Health, Health Care Administration, Health Policy, or Other. Describe the knowledge, skills, and attributes you have developed in preparation for the career path you have chosen in the previous question. (1,500 characters)

@PapaGuava, you might want to add this to the list of secondary questions! It shows up between the COVID question and the Scholarly Concentrations question.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
(PC user) How can you edit the pdf without converting it to acrobat reader? That's what I usually use but it says not to on the instructions. Are we supposed to print it out?

Members don't see this ad :)
M2 at USF here. No need to take a conservative approach, the school is very LGTBQ+ friendly. There are many members of my class that are part of that community and I'm not aware of any negative experiences. I'm not sure why they didn't include that as an example in the question, but it's probably just an oversight and I wouldn't interpret it as signal of anything.

I'm happy to answer questions from anyone about anything regarding USF, so feel free to message in this thread or privately. Good luck to everyone with your application cycle!
Will I get stuck in the scholarly pathway that I choose to write about in my secondary?

Will I get stuck in the scholarly pathway that I choose to write about in my secondary?

No. If you're doing CORE you're required to do either a scholarly concentration or something equivalent and every year they have a scholarly concentration fair for the freshman students. Whatever you write about doesn't lock you into that pathway.

Med School Tutors

• Love
M2 in CORE and happy to answer any questions as well. MCOM is a great school with a ton of opportunities in research, volunteering, leadership, involvement, etc. Great people and very high achieving. The students they've been recruiting are truly excellent. Tampa is also a great city to live.

M2 in CORE and happy to answer any questions as well. MCOM is a great school with a ton of opportunities in research, volunteering, leadership, involvement, etc. Great people and very high achieving. The students they've been recruiting are truly excellent. Tampa is also a great city to live.
This is seriously so true. Besides the bureaucratic silliness that follows medical education in general, so many people will go out of their way to help you succeed. And now that the campus is on the waterfront... so jealous of you guys!

Med School Tutors

Does anyone know when they start sending out II?

Does anyone know when they start sending out II?
According to MSAR, August 1st, but this could be absolutely meaningless as some schools who have said that have already sent out II's (WVU), while others that have said that they would start before today (Keck and UVA) haven't sent out a single one yet.

Can any current USF students give me more information on the Nutrition Research and Health scholarly concentration as well as the research concentration? What makes them unique and are there any key features?

Hi could you tell me a bit more about the Nutrition Research and Health scholarly concentration as well as the research concentration? I am very interested in both and wanted to learn more.

Hi could you tell me a bit more about the Nutrition Research and Health scholarly concentration as well as the research concentration? I am very interested in both and wanted to learn more.
I was really interested in that as well! First school I’ve seen to have something like that!

Members don't see this ad :)
What are the benefits of the SELECT program over the CORE program alone?

One of the things I like about Select is that your third year is with a smaller cohort but still in a large hospital. There's only ~50 of us up here at an enormous hospital, so there's ample opportunity to get experiences without having to trip over other medical and health professional students. So far the majority of the attendings love to teach and have been excellent so far, I like that I have connections down in Florida and in the Northeast. A lot of the docs are very well connected and trained at very good programs, two of the doctors I am going to be doing projects with were fellows at Fox Chase and Moffitt.

Select curriculum teaches about values based patient centered care quite a bit which has been useful in conversations with patients. Additionally, we learn about health systems, quality improvement, and hospital administration so it is useful if you want to go into healthcare or just want to be better informed about the non-medical side of what we do. Upperclassmen and previous Select graduates have told me that the curriculum frequently came up during residency interviews since it's not a common thing to see.

Things I don't like about Select: leaving friends in Florida, $$$$ tuition. You can pretty much guarantee if you're OOS you will be in Select, only a handful of OOS people are in Core. If you're a Florida resident, you can bet on being in Core. There are no Florida residents in Select.

Trace your lineage back to when your first family member moved to Florida, then put the date that they got their first utility bill. Also you’ll need to scan and send a copy of that bill as proof.
Not sure about this information, but I believe if you went to HS there your transcript will be where the bulk of their decision comes from--never heard of anyone who needs their family's first utility bill. If you have lived on your own...earned a living outside of the state...you are unfortunately considered OOS. If you have lived in Florida, paid property taxes, or worked and supported yourself...then that is proof of residency.

Did you guys receive an email saying your application was complete?

I submitted my secondary and the residency form a couple of weeks ago, but am just now realizing I never got an update email on my application status like most other schools send saying the file is complete.

Did you guys receive an email saying your application was complete?

I submitted my secondary and the residency form a couple of weeks ago, but am just now realizing I never got an update email on my application status like most other schools send saying the file is complete.
USF mentions on their secondary that we won't get any confirmation email

Anyone else unable to submit their secondary due to their payment not being able to be processed?

Accidentally uploaded my signed residency form as a jpg instead of a pdf and now won't let me change it..

Do I just email the admissions with the correct file format or what?

Mac is dum

I can actually take a little bit of this one as it's fairly personal to me. My friend Hillary and I co-founded the nutrition concentration at the end of our first year and helped write the curriculum and present it to the administration and recruited its original faculty preceptors Dr. Jacovino and Dr. Barber.

As designed (and obviously it's been a few years so things may have changed) the idea was to write a curriculum that broke down nutrition into the different micro nutrients and then explore each of those, talk about a lot of the science behind old disproven theories of nutrition and newer evidenced based theories of nutrition. Everything would then be applied towards understanding different disease processes and health and nutrition at the macro level. For the CORE students (I was in SELECT and therefore left after year two to go to Pennsylvania) that ends up becoming a project that you attempt to publish.

You can find a little bit more about it here:

Med School Tutors

Reactions: 2 users
I can actually take a little bit of this one as it's fairly personal to me. My friend Hillary and I co-founded the nutrition concentration at the end of our first year and helped write the curriculum and present it to the administration and recruited its original faculty preceptors Dr. Jacovino and Dr. Barber.

As designed (and obviously it's been a few years so things may have changed) the idea was to write a curriculum that broke down nutrition into the different micro nutrients and then explore each of those, talk about a lot of the science behind old disproven theories of nutrition and newer evidenced based theories of nutrition. Everything would then be applied towards understanding different disease processes and health and nutrition at the macro level. For the CORE students (I was in SELECT and therefore left after year two to go to Pennsylvania) that ends up becoming a project that you attempt to publish.

You can find a little bit more about it here:

Med School Tutors
Thank you so much!

Looks like for 2020-2021 cycle, majority of IIs started coming out on 09/09. For 2019-2020 cycle, they trickled out around mid-August.

Is it easier to get an interview if you apply to Select over Core?
Don't know if it's easier, but it seems like most OOS students get placed into the SELECT program

Don't know if it's easier, but it seems like most OOS students get placed into the SELECT program
Yeah, the large majority of core students are in state as core is a standard public medical school program and as such has certain requirements because it receives public funding. Select on the other hand is a private program so it functions like a private school hanging out on a public campus. It has predominantly out of state students because the price is the same for select students in state and out of state so there's very little reason for in-state select students when they could just be core and save a buttload of money. In fact, many of the select in-state students complained about that problem.

Med School Tutors

II this morning! IS, LM 76.2

• Love
II just now! Right now it only has one available interview date for literally next week? Will more be added or did they all just disappear super fast?

• Love
II just now! Right now it only has one available interview date for literally next week? Will more be added or did they all just disappear super fast?
The dates it showed me were next week Monday through Thursday. I was signing up like 9:45 EST so they seem to be going fast.

The dates it showed me were next week Monday through Thursday. I was signing up like 9:45 EST so they seem to be going fast.
oh jeez...the one date left is literally impossible for me schedule wise...what do you think I should do?

Any OOS invites today, or are they starting with IS first?

OOS interview this morning!! The interview availability is literally only for next week yikes

• Love
Was anyone not able to sign up for a timeslot? There were none available when I tried to schedule mine

Congratulations! Can you please share your stats? also, when did you submit your application?