2021-2022 University of South Florida

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
My faculty interviewer also said he was "playing devil's advocate" and proceeded to refute one of my responses I gave to his questions. The whole interview left a bad taste in my mouth afterwards

However, I also had a student interviewer, and that one was much better than the faculty one!
That’s good you had two! It sucks I only had one and it was him. Honestly makes the process so unfair how most people get 2 interviewers yet I somehow only get 1.

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Also had to mention that my interview here was awful (with one of my interviewers). They were pretty sexist and condescending, to the point where I just started answering with a few words because I was so uncomfortable. So I’m not surprised.
Please report this. If you are scared of it impacting your outcome, please do it once decisions have been finalized.

Considering a few of us seem to be complaining about a male interviewer with similar issues, I wonder if it's possible we just all had the same guy..?

Members don't see this ad :)
Considering a few of us seem to be complaining about a male interviewer with similar issues, I wonder if it's possible we just all had the same guy..?
Both my interviewers were female and I had a positive experience, so this is possible

Mine was 2 students and I had a great interview here.

I also had one interviewer who was quite rude, confrontational, and insulted my research. Basically the same stuff others are saying although I didn’t really notice sexist remarks. The other interviewer was very nice, probably one of the friendliest I had all cycle. Both men.

I’ve heard that Some schools intentionally do a good cop bad cop approach

Reactions: 1 user
Mine was literally the same. Every single comment about this male interviewer is exactly how one of my interviewers was, and he was a male. He played devil's advocate with me (he literally said he was doing that) and seemed uninsterested some of the time. Half the time he was not making eye contact with me and was typing on his second monitor. I tried my best and I got him to smile a couple times, but still, I certainly was not expecting it. I'm wondering if he was trying to play bad cop maybe? I know my friend says she knows someone at the school that said they had a guy that would do this on purpose to see how people act under stress. Maybe it's him? Who knows at this point.
This is my only interview of the cycle so I'm really hoping I still get in.

It's really disappointing to hear about these bad interview experiences. I encourage you to report it to the admissions office, like ChocolateChipCookiez said. If you don't feel comfortable doing that you can message me and I will do it for you.

For what it's worth, I have not interacted with any administrators or faculty members with such a negative personality during my time at MCOM. So whoever this interviewer is doesn't reflect the general atmosphere of the school.

I had a very positive experience with both my interviews. I did not feel like they were trying to trip me up at all, both very friendly and both interviews had a very amicable tone. One male one female, both faculty. First interview went the full hour, the second about 40 min.

Does anyone know when the virtual look is? I still haven't gotten the link

4/7, then 4/14 for the luncheon
I think we’re talking about the presentations we are supposed to attend post interview that we’re supposed to get the links and date for at some point

Members don't see this ad :)
I think we’re talking about the presentations we are supposed to attend post interview that we’re supposed to get the links and date for at some point
Oh my bad. “Virtual 2nd look” is what they’re calling the thing we’re doing in April so I assumed this was about that.

Oh my bad. “Virtual 2nd look” is what they’re calling the thing we’re doing in April so I assumed this was about that.
You’re good! Can we go to second look if we haven’t gotten an acceptance by then?

I doubt it but you could always ask.
Will there be a different time in which applicants that were waitlisted at that time can go to a future virtual look so they can also see the school before starting

Will there be a different time in which applicants that were waitlisted at that time can go to a future virtual look so they can also see the school before starting
Typically, no. Second looks are to woo people who have been accepted.

Schools do not have the capacity, or, quite frankly, the interest, in selling to people on the WL. If you need to be wooed to come off the WL, schools are usually just as happy moving on to the next person, since there are literally a bunch of people on every WL in the country begging for the call, without needing a virtual or in-person look.

It sucks, but it's one of the charms of being in purgatory as the cycle winds down in April.

So does anyone know how far after the interview will they send that highly recommended presentation or something?

So does anyone know how far after the interview will they send that highly recommended presentation or something?
when I interviewed it took a few weeks but they didn't give much notice (less than a weekish). The presentations are usually at the beginning of every month I think

Does anyone know how many Virtual Presentations there have been for SELECT students so far this year? I see that there are 43 invitees in the SELECT admissions presentation, so I am trying to estimate how many students they’ve invited to interview for SELECT this year. Sorry in advance for being neurotic lol I’m still hoping for my first A and trying to manage my expectations at this point in the cycle.
There is one set of presentations per month. There were many more people invited to my session in October. As well, they have already sent out the invitation for second look which seemed to have 200-300 accepted already, but I didn’t count

Was your session for SELECT? Because I have an invite for a general MCOM Q&A that’s around 130 people, but the SELECT Q&A invite is much smaller with 43 people. I ask because SELECT has a much higher post II A rate than CORE based on last years data.
Yep! Just checked the email for you and my SELECT q&a was around 90 people.

Just interviewed for Select, went well I think. Should I bother emailing about being considered for Core? I did not want to say anything before as to not hurt my Select chances, but I would really prefer Core over select (I'm an IS student). Should I wait until after my decision comes out? (obviously not if they tell me no though)

Is anyone else still hoping for an II? 😅🙃

Reactions: 6 users
Wow that’s crazy. 90 people * 6 sessions + 43 people in the March invite = about 583 SELECT interviewees. Seems like that 66% oos post II A rate from last year will drop significantly this cycle given most SELECT candidates are oos :/
Seems quite high, not sure if that makes sense. Going from 233 OOS to 583 seems like a big jump. Select only has around 50 spots as well. Perhaps not every month had 90.

Anyone received an acceptance who interviewed in Jan-Feb? Starting to lose hope..

II just now! very surprised. complete in july

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
I received an interview today. In state, completed end of August.

Hello future Bulls!

My name is Dave and I am a USF MCOM SELECT '19 grad. Every couple of months in this thread I stick my nose in to see if I can help anyone with questions about Tampa, Allentown, the curriculum, and all things SoFlo!

Good luck everyone!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor - Med School Tutors

• Love
Hello future Bulls!

My name is Dave and I am a USF MCOM SELECT '19 grad. Every couple of months in this thread I stick my nose in to see if I can help anyone with questions about Tampa, Allentown, the curriculum, and all things SoFlo!

Good luck everyone!

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor - Med School Tutors
What are your thoughts on the pros/cons of SELECT. I love the idea behind it, but does it follow through in practice? Were you sad to leave Tampa?

Is there an accepted students Facebook group for this school? I haven’t seen one but wanted to check

Not yet, but might be nice given that we’ll start meeting each other in person next month… Lookin’ at you Fatema. 😂

Has anyone gotten their ID or been able to set up their NetID? Wondering if I need to reach out to admissions for that...

Is there anything you have to do to accept a waitlist?

What are your thoughts on the pros/cons of SELECT. I love the idea behind it, but does it follow through in practice? Were you sad to leave Tampa?

The pros are that the professional training is very helpful if you can apply it well. It prepares you well for a role as a physician in the clinic and in management. LVHN is also a great place to train as a student. The admin is also very good at what they do.

The cons are some don't use various parts of SELECT more than others. I do ER so a lot of that motivational interviewing stuff is nice, but I don't have time for it like family med would.

I was sad to leave Tampa because our classmates were so awesome. The weather was better too haha but many SELECT students are originally from the northeast so it was an easier transition for them.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors

interviewed for SELECT yesterday, thought it was a very positive experience and enjoyed it! Have some interest in this school so it would be cool to go!

interviewed for SELECT yesterday, thought it was a very positive experience and enjoyed it! Have some interest in this school so it would be cool to go!
Really? A lot of people with other attractive options aren't too excited about having to move to Allentown, at their own expense, for the final two years of school, and you seem to have another very attractive option! :)

Can I ask why you might want to do this over other similarly ranked options, where you wouldn't have to pick up and move after two years?

• Okay...
Really? A lot of people with other attractive options aren't too excited about having to move to Allentown, at their own expense, for the final two years of school, and you seem to have another very attractive option! :)

Can I ask why you might want to do this over other similarly ranked options, where you wouldn't have to pick up and move after two years?
honestly just because I think it would be kind of interesting to be able to live in multiple different places, the students from the school had a lot of nice things to say about the program but i will most likely stick with my other option lol

honestly just because I think it would be kind of interesting to be able to live in multiple different places, the students from the school had a lot of nice things to say about the program but i will most likely stick with my other option lol
I figured as much. I know a few people at the school, both CORE and SELECT. No one liked leaving Tampa. It might sound interesting as a concept, but it's disruptive to leave your friends, and such a nice place and beautiful facility, to go to Allentown, PA, at your own expense, smack in the middle of the 4 years.

I guess it might be great for someone from the Lehigh Valley who wants to experience Florida for a few years and then return home to practice. Other than that niche group, and, of course, people with no other options who would love the chance to go to a very decent mid-tier MD program, ANYWHERE, most people aren't aching to leave beautiful Tampa Florida to go to the Lehigh Valley, even though I'm sure the training is great.

• Okay...
Anyone interview >12 weeks ago and not receive any decision yet?

• Hmm
Looks like USF had a very successful Match Day today!

• Hmm
Read on the 2019-2020 thread that interviews past November are usually auto-waitlists

• Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
The pros are that the professional training is very helpful if you can apply it well. It prepares you well for a role as a physician in the clinic and in management. LVHN is also a great place to train as a student. The admin is also very good at what they do.

The cons are some don't use various parts of SELECT more than others. I do ER so a lot of that motivational interviewing stuff is nice, but I don't have time for it like family med would.

I was sad to leave Tampa because our classmates were so awesome. The weather was better too haha but many SELECT students are originally from the northeast so it was an easier transition for them.

David D, MD - USMLE and MCAT Tutor
Med School Tutors
Do you think that SELECT is competitive for residencies epspecially given the transition of STEP 1 to P/F? Additionally, how do you think you were prepared for ER residency? I'm veyr interested in ER, especially pediatric ER, so I love how LVHN has a dedicated children's hospital, and I'm really looking for strong ER training/exposure

• Hmm
For those accepted so far this cycle (congrats btw!!) did it take the full 6 weeks to get the call? My 6 week mark is this week and I’m trying to figure out if I should just prepare for the WL letter to come in a few weeks instead

• Care
For those accepted so far this cycle (congrats btw!!) did it take the full 6 weeks to get the call? My 6 week mark is this week and I’m trying to figure out if I should just prepare for the WL letter to come in a few weeks instead
Whatever the timing, you'll see people report As on SDN when they go out. The pattern seems to be if people report As from around the time you interviewed and you don't receive a call, then, yes, you'll get a letter a few weeks later. No need to stress about the timing, since that will vary based on when they meet and whether your interview date was discussed at the meeting. The pattern has held through the entire cycle so far, so no reason to think it will change now. Good luck!!!

Last edited: