2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Verified 3 days ago and received secondary an hour later. 508/3.4, no IA. All LORs were submitted with the primary.

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone else with an IA gotten a secondary yet?
I believe there were some people who did in this thread and in another thread specifically about IA's and UCLA. It might take some searching to find though

Should I be worried if I am a high stat applicant but without a secondary yet? I'm starting to think there is a red flag on my application
UCLA secondary screening trips me out. I legit got a confirmation they got my primary at 2AM PST and got the secondary an hour later. How do they screen??? Was someone working at 2am?

Members don't see this ad :)
The theory is they have an automated screen for new apps at 2 or 3am. If you fail it you go to manual review.
Hmm, this theory makes a lot of sense actually. Maybe a baseline for gpa/mcat/specific EC hours?

i ****ed up a question on the secondary bc i didnt provide my PI and number of research hours. am I screwed? 99% certain this will automatically put my in the reject pile. smh i was so focused on the character count i forgot to completely answer the question

i ****ed up a question on the secondary bc i didnt provide my PI and number of research hours. am I screwed? 99% certain this will automatically put my in the reject pile. smh i was so focused on the character count i forgot to completely answer the question
Probably not the best but I really don't think this is an instant reject. Especially since they could find this info on your primary (I assume).

I just realized I did the same exact thing lmaooo. nothing you can do at this point

So are the A, B, and C prompts basically asking how those mentioned extracurriculars are helping you achieve what's listed in the first prompt?

So are the A, B, and C prompts basically asking how those mentioned extracurriculars are helping you achieve what's listed in the first prompt?
That is how I interpreted it!

Reactions: 1 user
no secondary yet. alcohol-related IA. really hoping i get something soon. UCLA would be my last one.

Reactions: 1 users
If anyone who has an IA gets a secondary, can you please post here? I've heard several people online share their experiences with getting screened out due to having an IA, and I want to see if that's still happening this year.
I have IAs from academic probation and got a secondary, albeit two and a half weeks after submitting the primary.

Was surprised to get a secondary from UCLA since I'm OOS and my stats aren't the greatest (MCAT <512) but now I'm just sitting here manifesting an II :nailbiting:

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone received an II?
UCLA says they'll start coming 8/15/2021 on MSAR. Past dates were: 2018: 8/3 (Fri) 2019: 8/9 (Fri) 2020: 8/6 (Thu), so they like the end of the week.

Reactions: 2 users
Is it unlikely to be receiving a secondary at this point of time as an in-state resident?

IS here, submitted. Wondering if anyone else doesn't have their transcripts marked as received in the portal?

Good luck to everyone, even those without the secondary yet. Stay positive.

IS here, submitted. Wondering if anyone else doesn't have their transcripts marked as received in the portal?

I'm a Canadian applicant and under transcripts it says nothing under date received.

But my app shows complete, I think it's fine?

I'm a Canadian applicant and under transcripts it says nothing under date received.

But my app shows complete, I think it's fine?
Mine is also complete, glad we are in the same boat. Good luck friend!

I may be wrong, but I think those may be for if you are accepted they'd require you to submit transcripts.

A couple questions:
1. What percentage of applicants get a secondary?
2. How late into the season do they send out secondaries?
3. Are they reviewing for secondary consideration prior to receiving MCAT scores? My score will he released 8/17…

Thanks y’all!

A couple questions:
3. Are they reviewing for secondary consideration prior to receiving MCAT scores? My score will he released 8/17…

Thanks y’all!
Looking at last year's thread, people who got verified in June still were getting secondaries in September! Also sounds like they were still reviewing apps into November and as long as you didn't receive an official R from them, you'd still be in the running (source: 2020-2021 UCLA (Geffen))

• Hmm
Anyone got an interview invite from UCLA? If so how long did it take them to send you the invitation after submitting your secondary? Thank you

Per MSAR, I think they are only starting with interview invites on August 15th.

Reactions: 3 users
A couple questions:

Thanks y’all!
for #3 - My AMCAS application was complete in May, but my MCAT score wasn't released until June 18th and I got my UCLA secondary the next morning at 6:00 am. Good luck to you!

This maybe a silly question. But is there any Spanish requirement? I couldn't find any info on their website, but past SDN threads mentioned it.

Does anybody know how difficult it is to get secondaries at UCLA/UCSD vs UCSF. What would cause one get secondary at one but not the others?

I’ve seen as low as 30% of OOS applicants receive a secondary at UCSF, but I’m not sure if there’s any merit to that. Regardless, UCSF seems to be a more holistic and thorough screen than UCLA/UCSD, and they don’t consider MCAT pre II.

I’ve seen as low as 30% of OOS applicants receive a secondary at UCSF, but I’m not sure if there’s any merit to that. Regardless, UCSF seems to be a more holistic and thorough screen than UCLA/UCSD, and they don’t consider MCAT pre II.
Where did you see the 30% stat?

Someone had mentioned that in the UCSF thread this year. I tried to look online, but they don’t publish those statistics I believe.
apparently at the interview days in past years they have said something along the lines of ~7000 apps, ~2500 secondaries, ~500 interviews

Would they see red flag pre secondary or are IA/convictions blurred to screeners

• Haha
Would they see red flag pre secondary or are IA/convictions blurred to screeners
Seriously? No offense, but what do you think they would be screening for, among other things, if not red flags?

To my knowledge, nothing is "blurred" to anyone. Either they have access to your primary or they don't. This is why many schools ask you to repeat information, like prereqs, on their secondaries. That way, people won't need to have access to your primary to see it.

If UCSF is screening without the MCAT, that only means it's not required or looked at. I don't think it can be blurred. Either way, back to your question, what would be the point of "blurring" red flags? If they don't care, then it's not a red flag to them. And if they do, why wouldn't they screen for it?

Last edited:
apparently at the interview days in past years they have said something along the lines of ~7000 apps, ~2500 secondaries, ~500 interviews
Oh this is really interesting, thanks for sharing! Based on those numbers it’s ~35% to get a secondary and it would make sense that the OOS % is lower.

I just don’t see why UCLA/SD would care but UCSF wouldn’t
You don't see why every school does their own review and makes their own determination regarding everything in your application? Do you get why people who receive an II at one school don't receive one at all of their schools? Same thing! :)

Last edited:
I still never got the UCLA secondary (OOS, IA). Got UCSF and all others that pre-screen (Vandy etc.) long ago, and clearly the 3 schools that have sent me IIs didn't see a problem with the IA. Sigh.

To clarify For UCSF, they are in fact removing the MCAT from review. It is not a part of the screen or selection at all until admissions post-interview.
Right -- that means they aren't considering it. It does not necessarily mean it is unavailable for anyone with access to your primary to see (i.e., it is not "blurred.").

I still never got the UCLA secondary (OOS, IA). Got UCSF and all others that pre-screen (Vandy etc.) long ago, and clearly the 3 schools that have sent me IIs didn't see a problem with the IA. Sigh.
They have no idea what they are missing! I don't mean to jinx you or anything, but, at the rate you are going, I don't think you are going to be needing them at all!!

• Haha
@voxveritatisetlucis @star-lily I also haven't received a secondary after... a long time lol.

OOS. Secondaries from UCSF and other pre-screeners. A few II's from T20s so far. Maybe they're just slow.

I also got Vanderbilt and UCSF but not UCLA/UCSD:(
As with most things, why stress over things you can't control? You are extremely well aware of what the issue might be, so you don't have to lose any sleep wondering. Beyond that, why not just move on and allow yourself to be pleasantly surprised if a secondary manages to find its way to your inbox?

I'm pretty sure IA's are one of the main things schools screen for besides GPA and MCAT. It probably depends on the type of IA too, some schools may care about one type but less about another.

As others are saying, I think you should be grateful for the secondaries you did receive with having an IA. I think you have to remember that schools are taking a risk with IA applicants, so the schools that chose to send you a secondary deemed your app to be good enough that they are willing to possibly overlook your IA (again, I have no idea what your IA was, how serious it was, etc.). I wouldn't worry too much about schools who don't send you a secondary, if you have an IA that is probably bound to happen, just be happy about the ones you did get is my advice :)

I'm pretty sure IA's are one of the main things schools screen for besides GPA and MCAT. It probably depends on the type of IA too, some schools may care about one type but less about another.

As others are saying, I think you should be grateful for the secondaries you did receive with having an IA. I think you have to remember that schools are taking a risk with IA applicants, so the schools that chose to send you a secondary deemed your app to be good enough that they are willing to possibly overlook your IA (again, I have no idea what your IA was, how serious it was, etc.). I wouldn't worry too much about schools who don't send you a secondary, if you have an IA that is probably bound to happen, just be happy about the ones you did get is my advice :)

I think someone earlier in this thread said that there are GPA and MCAT cutoffs that automatically trigger a secondary from UCLA, but if you have an IA then it goes to manual review, which doesn't necessarily mean you won't get a secondary, it just might take longer.

okay weird I don't have an IA and still didn't get a secondary, so I am confused as to why I am being manually reviewed.

okay weird I don't have an IA and still didn't get a secondary, so I am confused as to why I am being manually reviewed.
I'm not an adcom, but I think you are misreading what @oldprem3d said. I don't think anyone believes you need an IA to be subject to a manual review.

The rumor (unconfirmed) is that some level of stats results in an auto secondary, subject to a manual review if you have an IA. Otherwise, everyone is reviewed before receiving a secondary.

You can refute this right now if you have sky high stats, no IA, and no secondary. Is that the case? :)