2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Secondary received this morning

Members don't see this ad.

Secondary received this morning as well! Verified 7/1, high stats IS

Secondary received this morning for MSTP. OOS applicant with disgustingly low stats (marginal GPA and low MCAT). Hoping that they focus on my research now that someone already decided to give me a shot despite my sad looking numbers.

Members don't see this ad :)
IS secondary received! Surprised because I realized my MCAT is below the 512 cutoff, so I’m hoping this is a good sign.

If anybody with high stats and an IA receives a secondary, let us know! Hoping that UCLA gives our applications a look, even if it's later in to the cycle.
i have low stats and an IA and I got a secondary

• Hmm
Reactions: 1 users
IS secondary received! Surprised because I realized my MCAT is below the 512 cutoff, so I’m hoping this is a good sign.
I might be mistaken but I don't believe the 512 cutoff exists anymore

Reactions: 2 users
Any IS, high stats, verified early still waiting?

Edit: Received this morning @ 3AM

Verified 6/8, LM: 76

Last edited:
Are they still sending out in waves for OOS? I have no IA and high stats but haven’t heard from UCLA or ucsf yet…

Is the tab "Document Status" showing anybody's letters/are the letters supposed to show up there? Under the "Status" tab it shows my LOR as Completed but nothing under document status

Reactions: 1 user
IS, low stats, received secondary this morning. Verified 7/7

Members don't see this ad :)
Was working on this secondary and came across this question:

Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)

wondering if this school is a no go for me since I have absolutely zero research experience. Any thoughts? The only thing I could possibly write is that I have no such experience lol

Describe your most scholarly project (thesis, research or field of study in basic or clinical science or in the humanities) and provide the total number of hours, dates and advisor. (800 characters)

wondering if this school is a no go for me since I have absolutely zero research experience. Any thoughts? The only thing I could possibly write is that I have no such experience lol

Did you have a senior project or thesis?

Did you have a senior project or thesis?
I guess now that you mention it, I have had a research project in a sociology class I took. It was kind of lame though. I had a project in my biochemistry lab, sequencing an unknown gene using PCR techniques and stuff like that. That is the closest I can get.

and this is supposed to be in relation to this idea of being, "an outstanding physician AND..." I was thinking my premise was going to be something that has to do with kids because a lot of my volunteer work has been with kids and I do have a kind of passion for how kids are raised in our current society and how they need good role models. That is a societal mission I could really see myself being dedicated to, but I have not done any kind of research project that I could relate to that.

Are they still sending out in waves for OOS? I have no IA and high stats but haven’t heard from UCLA or ucsf yet…
I’m in the same boat as you..haven’t heard from either but I was verified 6/11 - wbu?

No senior capstone, designing a new project for volunteering, nothing? A writing assignment that required an original opinion and research?

Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".

How are yall answering this part? Is it fine to approach it as a what I learned from the experiences in each part in relation to part 1?

Respond to the following and indicate how these areas of experience have impacted your progress toward your future career goals in relation to becoming an "Outstanding Physician, AND...".

How are yall answering this part? Is it fine to approach it as a what I learned from the experiences in each part in relation to part 1?

That is what I’m doing. My focus is on health equity and I can’t say I solved healthcare crises, but I did gain skills that would make me equipped to do so in the future. If this is a bad approach someone please correct me lol. Just my $0.02

That is what I’m doing. My focus is on health equity and I can’t say I solved healthcare crises, but I did gain skills that would make me equipped to do so in the future. If this is a bad approach someone please correct me lol. Just my $0.02
That's essentially what Ive been doing. Struggling HARD relating my cancer research to my public health theme tho LOL

That's essentially what Ive been doing. Struggling HARD relating my cancer research to my public health theme tho LOL
"cancer is a disease which can affect anyone through sheer happenstance of mutation or carcinogen exposure. It is estimated that this costs xyz dollars annually, making cancer of the highest of public health crisis. This is why I have researched pancreatic cancer at Winona Ryder's guts'n'stuff clinic for patients who can't somatic-cell good..."

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
"cancer is a disease which can affect anyone through sheer happenstance of mutation or carcinogen exposure. It is estimated that this costs xyz dollars annually, making cancer of the highest of public health crisis. This is why I have researched pancreatic cancer at Winona Ryder's guts'n'stuff clinic for patients who can't somatic-cell good..."
"patients who can't somatic-cell good" had me cracking up

So it is considered a bad sign if we haven't gotten a secondary yet, OOS verified 6/30, got a primary confirmation email 7/7

So it is considered a bad sign if we haven't gotten a secondary yet, OOS verified 6/30, got a primary confirmation email 7/7
I got my confirmation email 7/7 and just received the actual secondary yesterday, so don’t be too worried yet :)

I also just got the secondary this morning and got the primary received 7/7, so I think you’re good!

Is UCLA Canadian friendly? I heard that you need ties to California for Californian schools to consider you. Is this true?

Hi! I want to submit the secondary but I haven't assigned my LORs yet. I'm wondering if someone could clarify, does UCLA only want 1 science instructor, and the other instructor can be anything else? Or do they want/prefer 2 science instructors?

OOS confirmed 6/11, primary received notification on 7/7, and secondary received this morning (7/15)! Just hang tight :)

so basically question one is the overlying theme in our application and parts A B C are support of it?

so basically question one is the overlying theme in our application and parts A B C are support of it?
Question 1 just needs to be answered in broad strokes. “Outstanding physician AND....Advocate.”

then your answers are volunteering (advocacy), leadership in an advocacy group, clinical research which you tie to improving access through the modernization of healthcare.

simple example, but that is the solution - paint the first question in broad strokes

Question 1 just needs to be answered in broad strokes. “Outstanding physician AND....Advocate.”

then your answers are volunteering (advocacy), leadership in an advocacy group, clinical research which you tie to improving access through the modernization of healthcare.

simple example, but that is the solution - paint the first question in broad strokes
Ah thank you!

Hi everyone, I got accepted to Geffen this past cycle and will be starting there in a few short weeks! I won't pretend to be some admissions expert but I can try to answer questions throughout the process (which SUCKS- please take care of yourself!). To give others hope- I got in with a <512 and a 3.4X sGPA (but 4.0 post bac).

Reactions: 4 users
Hi everyone, I got accepted to Geffen this past cycle and will be starting there in a few short weeks! I won't pretend to be some admissions expert but I can try to answer questions throughout the process (which SUCKS- please take care of yourself!). To give others hope- I got in with a <512 and a 3.4X sGPA (but 4.0 post bac).
We’re you in state? How did your research and volunteering look

We’re you in state? How did your research and volunteering look
Yes I am IS. Strong research (several years with including pubs on papers and first-author abstracts accepted at an international conference) and pretty strong volunteering I'd say, but nothing super recent due to moving, MCAT studying, and then COVID. My clinical hours were strong as well (probably close to 10k). I'm a SES disadvantaged nontrad veteran.

Also, my post-bac was DIY at a community college.

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Congrats! You just gave me and others a lot of hope!

Congrats! You just gave me and others a lot of hope!
Good! I think UCLA is more holistic than some of the other top schools. I will say that from what I've seen, my classmates have done some really cool things in their lives. Seems to be a good mix of trad and nontrads (this is based off of our GroupMe chat).

For transparency, I did get WLed initially and I feel like I was one of the last people taken off the WL in May. Not sure if that's true or not though.

Do you know if the screen for secondary applications filters out felony/misdemeanors. 521/3.99 from HYPSM, 1000+ volunteer hours, good clinical experience. Verified 6/30 and no secondary

Good! I think UCLA is more holistic than some of the other top schools. I will say that from what I've seen, my classmates have done some really cool things in their lives. Seems to be a good mix of trad and nontrads (this is based off of our GroupMe chat).

For transparency, I did get WLed initially and I feel like I was one of the last people taken off the WL in May. Not sure if that's true or not though.
You should still be proud! did you have another school you had before you got off the waitlist?

Do you know if the screen for secondary applications filters out felony/misdemeanors. 521/3.99 from HYPSM, 1000+ volunteer hours, good clinical experience. Verified 6/30 and no secondary
I'm sorry, I have no idea how the secondary process works but I'd assume that felony/misdemeanors would go into a separate pile for manual review.