2021-2022 UCLA (Geffen)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yes I probably should have but honestly just never crossed my mind. I’ve gotten secondaries from other schools that do a supposed holistic screen (vandy, vcu, rush) but not the UCs. Not sure if it’s like a California law or something especially since it seems like UCLA has some sort of automated process (stats screen)

Members don't see this ad :)
The one exception I suppose is that the Dean of the medical school at my undergraduate school agreed to a meeting with me. I would say it was fairly encouraging (they understood the efforts that I have undertaken to redeem myself) but I’m not sure if that is mainly just public relations and or part of the nature of the job (given the inherent political nature of the job)

The one exception I suppose is that the Dean of the medical school at my undergraduate school agreed to a meeting with me. I would say it was fairly encouraging (they understood the efforts that I have undertaken to redeem myself) but I’m not sure if that is mainly just public relations and or part of the nature of the job (given the inherent political nature of the job)
I really hope you get in

Reactions: 1 users
Do people's references under "Document Status" show up as an empty page even though the Status page shows the LORs are complete?

Reactions: 1 user
Do you know if the screen for secondary applications filters out felony/misdemeanors. 521/3.99 from HYPSM, 1000+ volunteer hours, good clinical experience. Verified 6/30 and no secondary
Idk but I’m also a high stat OOS applicant and was verified 7/1 and received acknowledgment email on 7/7. Still no secondary

Idk but I’m also a high stat OOS applicant and was verified 7/1 and received acknowledgment email on 7/7. Still no secondary
I'm in the exact same boat. At what point do we assume that we aren't getting a secondary?

I'm in the exact same boat. At what point do we assume that we aren't getting a secondary?
Yeah I'm wondering the same. High stat OOS, verified 5/28, got the primary confirmation on 7/7, and still no secondary ://

Hi everyone, I got accepted to Geffen this past cycle and will be starting there in a few short weeks! I won't pretend to be some admissions expert but I can try to answer questions throughout the process (which SUCKS- please take care of yourself!). To give others hope- I got in with a <512 and a 3.4X sGPA (but 4.0 post bac).
CONGRATS!! that is awesome to hear all that you have done!! Just wondering, if you knew what they mainly look for when screening the primary to receive a secondary? Just wondering, cuz I am out of state!! :) thanks!!

Members don't see this ad :)
CONGRATS!! that is awesome to hear all that you have done!! Just wondering, if you knew what they mainly look for when screening the primary to receive a secondary? Just wondering, cuz I am out of state!! :) thanks!!
I’m sorry, I’m not 100% sure but probably some minimum cut off for stats. From what I can see they really value community service, leadership, research, and clinical experience

Is the COVID question required? I feel like I am complaining and the majority of it just includes how hard it was to find a job last year after I graduated in the middle of a pandemic. Do you guys think I should mention it if this prompt is not required?

For those applying PRIME and checking to still be considered for regular MD, how are you approaching the "Describe your most important volunteer work and why it was meaningful" question as part of the regular MD secondary? If our most meaningful volunteer work is within underserved communities and we talk about it in the PRIME supplemental should we still reiterate it here?

International applicant got my secondary at 3AM PST a day after my primary was verified? No screen?

Edit: Verified 7/19. Secondary 7/20 at 3AM PST.

Last edited:
Good! I think UCLA is more holistic than some of the other top schools. I will say that from what I've seen, my classmates have done some really cool things in their lives. Seems to be a good mix of trad and nontrads (this is based off of our GroupMe chat).

For transparency, I did get WLed initially and I feel like I was one of the last people taken off the WL in May. Not sure if that's true or not though.
I echo a lot of what you say. I was also accepted off the WL here last cycle. OOS, ORM, high stats. For reference, I had lots of research experience (several publications, but the latest of which is from a couple of years ago) and considerable longitudinal volunteering. At the end of the day, though, I felt like they do really review you holistically. The wait is brutal, and I 100% would not say that the process is perfect by any means, but they do not seem to take a cookie cutter approach, especially when it came to COVID- induced complications on my end. Best of luck to you all! You got this!! 🙌

Does anyone else's "Document Status" tab still not show their LoRs?

Does anyone else's "Document Status" tab still not show their LoRs?
I have inquired about this directly to UCLA and they said there is nothing to worry. They are aware of the issue. As long as your status page says letters are in, you should be ok.

Finally submitted. Don't really feel like I have a chance to get in this school at all tbh, but I've felt that way with pretty much all of them. Oh well. Here's to hoping.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
For the following question, would the answer be Yes if one of my parents have less than high school, but the other attended college in another country? Or do both parents need high school or less?
Are you a first-generation college graduate? (First generation college is defined as having parents or guardians who have a high school education or less, and extended family, such as aunts and uncles, who do not have a college-going experience.)

For the following question, would the answer be Yes if one of my parents have less than high school, but the other attended college in another country? Or do both parents need high school or less?
Are you a first-generation college graduate? (First generation college is defined as having parents or guardians who have a high school education or less, and extended family, such as aunts and uncles, who do not have a college-going experience.)
Just click yes. They'll never know.

Last edited:
Still no secondary. OOS, have a silly IA from now >3 years ago. I tried emailing them asking for a manual review, and I got what kind of looks like an automated message (but signed by a real person):

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your continued interest in David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. To preserve confidentiality, we do not provide status updates per direct request, by email or phone. If there is a change in your application status, you will be able to view on the change via AMP portal or you will receive an email update from us (rather than a reply). We are unable to open applications upon request. Thank you for your patience.

Feel free to let me know should you have additional questions.

for the first question where it says what have you done towards your mission, did you guys discuss the activities that you wrote about below?

for the first question where it says what have you done towards your mission, did you guys discuss the activities that you wrote about below?
I personally just kinda explained my 'theme' there, but I think you can definitely name-drop them in the first question if you want

Is the font on this secondary a black bolded font for anyone else?

Has anyone else not received a secondary yet? High Stat IS, no IAs, primary email received 7/7 and still no secondary, starting to get a lil worried :/

Has anyone else not received a secondary yet? High Stat IS, no IAs, primary email received 7/7 and still no secondary, starting to get a lil worried :/
OMGG I manifested it into existence, received the secondary just now!! Don't worry y'all they're clearly taking their time this year!

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Has anyone who added UCLA to their AMCAS gotten the secondary the 2nd day. day. Also yall I havent got my MCAT score back so I can still apply and got a secondar???

Also if you apply to UCLA and dont get in will you be seen as a reapplicant next cycle.

or do they care if your a reapplicant or not or it doesnt matter every cycle thats what holding me back from applying to ucla??

Does anyone know if they look at your primary application while reading your secondary? Not sure how much overlap I should have especially for the most meaningful volunteer experience question.

Still no secondary. OOS, have a silly IA from now >3 years ago. I tried emailing them asking for a manual review, and I got what kind of looks like an automated message (but signed by a real person):

Dear XXXXX,

Thank you for your continued interest in David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA. To preserve confidentiality, we do not provide status updates per direct request, by email or phone. If there is a change in your application status, you will be able to view on the change via AMP portal or you will receive an email update from us (rather than a reply). We are unable to open applications upon request. Thank you for your patience.

Feel free to let me know should you have additional questions.
Definitely automated, and not even addressing your request. I'd take them up on their generous offer to let them know if you have any additional questions to point out that you are not asking for a status update, but, rather, are concerned regarding the fact that you have not yet received a secondary and would appreciate being told if it was possible for someone to manually review your primary in light of your [fill in the blank] disclosure which you do not believe should preclude you from being considered for admission.

OTOH, you might want to hold off while others with no IAs are also reporting not yet receiving secondaries, since it might still come, in which case you don't want to draw unnecessary attention to the negative. Although you are understandably anxious, I think you can afford to wait a few more weeks, since you have over another month before Labor Day.

Good luck!!! :)

Just got a secondary - a reapplicant who did not get one last cycle so this made me super happy :)

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
For PRIME applicants, do we first get evaluated for MD and then PRIME, or vice versa? Hesitant to submit to PRIME if it's the latter, unfortunately :/

I don't see any button that allows me to pay my secondary application fee. Is this just me?? I can't submit the application without paying but it won't let me pay...

How does UCLA's deadline work. In the email is states "Your Secondary Application is due on the FIFTEENTH day (15th) from the date and time of this email". So if I recieved the email on July 1st, would it be due on July 15th or July 16th?

How does UCLA's deadline work. In the email is states "Your Secondary Application is due on the FIFTEENTH day (15th) from the date and time of this email". So if I recieved the email on July 1st, would it be due on July 15th or July 16th?

Check out this thread for specifics

in general is it a red flag to write about an activity not in AMCAS? I totally forgot to add one in my activities section

in general is it a red flag to write about an activity not in AMCAS? I totally forgot to add one in my activities section
I don't think so. I've written about things I did in high school for essays every now and then. Unless you forgot one of your main experiences I doubt anyone will notice.

I don't think so. I've written about things I did in high school for essays every now and then. Unless you forgot one of your main experiences I doubt anyone will notice.
It's my volunteer work, not my most meaningful, but it works for the volunteer question. Just don't know if its sus thats its not in my AMCAS

It's my volunteer work, not my most meaningful, but it works for the volunteer question. Just don't know if its us thats its not in my AMCAS
Tbh I doubt anyone will notice. If they do I doubt they'll hold it against you, but they might ask at an interview for a point of contact just in case they want to confirm something. Basically, I think you're good to do it if its the best way to answer a prompt. Just my opinion though

I think I missed the deadline to submit the secondary? It said it was due on the 15th day from receipt of the original email, which I received on 7/12, so I thought today (7/27) would be the 15th day. The portal won't let me type anything in. Is anyone else having this issue?

I think I missed the deadline to submit the secondary? It said it was due on the 15th day from receipt of the original email, which I received on 7/12, so I thought today (7/27) would be the 15th day. The portal won't let me type anything in. Is anyone else having this issue?
Unfortunately I think you're out of luck - look earlier in this thread. Once the system shuts down, it looks like they don't give extensions.

It says fifteenth day from when the email was sent. It’s possible you got yours early morning on the 12th. Sorry :/

• Care
It says fifteenth day from when the email was sent. It’s possible you got yours early morning on the 12th. Sorry :/
RIP! I liked UCLA but that's on me. Good luck to everyone applying this cycle and don't forget to submit on time!

Should I be worried if I am a high stat applicant but without a secondary yet? I'm starting to think there is a red flag on my application