2021-2022 UC Irvine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was complete mid August and still haven't gotten a secondary. Is this normal for UCI? UCLA, UCR, and UCSD sent me secondaries in July. Hoping to at least get a secondary from UCI.

Members don't see this ad.

I was complete mid August and still haven't gotten a secondary. Is this normal for UCI? UCLA, UCR, and UCSD sent me secondaries in July. Hoping to at least get a secondary from UCI.
All of the UCs screen very heavily before sending out secondaries.

Okay everyone...I'm so sorry. I don't know if this may be because I literally emailed them but I just got the call with the A!!!

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the acceptance notification by call and email!!! The staying in California dream is real :”)

Interviewed early September.

• Love
Reactions: 6 users
Does this mean they're gonna start sending out II's now?

Has anyone who already interviewed not received word back on their application?

Reactions: 1 users
Straight rejection, interviewed mid September. I’ve been getting a lot of these :/

• Care
  • Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Received the A today around 4:30pm PST via phone call and email! Feeling so relieved and excited. Interviewed early September.

Alternate list :confused: does anyone know how much WL movement there typically is?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Just got an II now at around 11PM! So excited this was definitely unexpected

Alternate list :/ feeling bummed. I applied PRIME-LC and felt really excited about the program and UCI at large. Does anyone know how special programs figure into the alternate list equation? UCI continues to be my top choice.

• Care
Oh man I missed the call and got a voicemail 💀 but just got the A! Interviewed September

Got the A this morning! Super grateful. Interviewed PRIME-LC mid-Sept

Just got the A! OOS + interviewed in mid-september as well

• Love
All of the UCs screen very heavily before sending out secondaries.
I got a secondary from UCI two days after my primary was verified. I was honestly a little confused about this. I didn't pre-write because I wanted to wait and see if I would even get a secondary so it threw me off haha.

Just got the call and email!!! Gaaahhhhh!!!! I should leave work lmao

• Love
Does anyone know how the waitlist will move this year? They've sent post-II A, W, and R pretty late compared to previous years so I am just wondering if that plays any factor.

Received an II last night! BUT when I logged into the applicant portal, there were no interview dates available and the entire calendar is gray? Is this happening to anyone else? Kinda spooked.

Received an II last night! BUT when I logged into the applicant portal, there were no interview dates available and the entire calendar is gray? Is this happening to anyone else? Kinda spooked.
Congratulations!! When were you complete?!

Got the A call this morning! IS Interviewed LEAD-ABC 11/15

• Love
A this morning; LizzyM 79.5, WARS 103; interviewed in early Sept

• Love
Post II- Alternate list :/// interviewed mid october

• Care
Is there an MMI part to the UC Irvine interview? Or is it only comprised of traditional interviews?

Is there an MMI part to the UC Irvine interview? Or is it only comprised of traditional interviews?
No MMI on the actual interview day, but there is a Kira Talent Assessment you need to take, which is MMI-esque in my opinion. It is a short, recorded interview tool similar to AAMC's VITA from last cycle and CASPER Snapshot.

Does anyone know how far out interview spots are being sent out for?

Did this get resolved?

Current student, feel free to DM with any questions, especially admitted students! Congrats!

• Love
  • Care
You're not out of the running until you get the R! UCI sends IIs out as late as late March. I personally know 2 people who received March IIs, and one of them is a student there now. Hoping for the best for you!

My secondary app is complete, but I haven't yet received any response. I want to update UCI that our lab has submitted several papers for publication that I am first author on. The papers are NOT YET published, and won't be for another few months.
I don't know much about the publication process (my PI did most of it), but I'm assuming there are no citations yet. Can I update UCI about my soon-to-be-publications or not?

My secondary app is complete, but I haven't yet received any response. I want to update UCI that our lab has submitted several papers for publication that I am first author on. The papers are NOT YET published, and won't be for another few months.
I don't know much about the publication process (my PI did most of it), but I'm assuming there are no citations yet. Can I update UCI about my soon-to-be-publications or not?
General consensus is no, refrain from update unless it is already in print. Do you have anything else you could update them about? Maybe a poster/abstract from said publications?

General consensus is no, refrain from update unless it is already in print. Do you have anything else you could update them about? Maybe a poster/abstract from said publications?
Yes, there is a poster, but how would I proceed with this?

Yes, there is a poster, but how would I proceed with this?
Wording can be slightly different depending on if you were the presenting author or simply contributed to the poster (make sure that you're listed as one of the authors!), but below is an example found from SDN. No need to upload your poster or abstract.

"I was co-author, along with several others, of the following posters"

Author(s) of abstract/poster (use first author, then et al). Title of abstract/poster [poster]. In: Name of conference or title of publication.; conference dates; place of conference. (optional on space Place of publication: publisher; date of publication. Abstract/poster number.)

Wording can be slightly different depending on if you were the presenting author or simply contributed to the poster (make sure that you're listed as one of the authors!), but below is an example found from SDN. No need to upload your poster or abstract.

"I was co-author, along with several others, of the following posters"

Author(s) of abstract/poster (use first author, then et al). Title of abstract/poster [poster]. In: Name of conference or title of publication.; conference dates; place of conference. (optional on space Place of publication: publisher; date of publication. Abstract/poster number.)
Ah, I understand. I was under the impression that I couldn't cite the poster if it was not presented at a conference or published in print.

Ah, I understand. I was under the impression that I couldn't cite the poster if it was not presented at a conference or published in print.
Is the abstract itself accepted yet? Or still at the submission stage? If it's submitted but not accepted, then I would not update about that!

omg I just got the call from Dr. Osborn! I got my first A! interviewed on 11/15 :)

• Love
  • Care
Is the abstract itself accepted yet? Or still at the submission stage? If it's submitted but not accepted, then I would not update about that!
According to my PI, the review process is really lax. We only received a confirmation email and receipt. As far as I know, submissions are not accepted until mid-February. I guess I would not update about that. Thank you for the advice!

Is UCI almost done sending out IIs? I know their website says they interview until April but the last II reported on here was 12/2 and there weren't any reported before that for nearly a month. It seems strange to send out so few invites if there really are still 4 months in their interview season
I got an II 12/10 after being complete mid July, so maybe they are slowly trickling out new invites. Interviews seem to be scheduling for early February.