2021-2022 Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine (RowanSOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
When did you guys submit primary applications?
OOS received my secondary this morning! Submitted primary 07/08

Members don't see this ad.

Hi. Does anyone have trouble logging in? Is the username the email or our AACOMAS ID? Thanks for any help!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
1. How are you guys answering the question in the additional information section-- "Please identify your area of professional interest below (i.e. Family Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc.)?" Are you just listing specialties or writing an essay with the 500-word count limit?

2. How about the other essays? What limit would you recommend?

When did you guys submit primary applications?
I submitted my primary through AACOMAS for this school on July 24th( I was already verified. I just decided to add this school). I got an email from Roawn on July 26th acknowleding receipt and that the secondary would be sent soon, and then received the secondary this morning

Got the secondary just now, OOS, submitted 1° 7/8/21

Are there any current students on here who can talk about the differences between the two curriculum options? Or anyone have a preference or opinion?

Really not sure. Last year they were 1,000 words. This time it doesn’t show word count, looks like they removed this limit. Just answer the question without adding fluff. From what I’ve seen even prior years people wrote up to 300-400 words and were admitted.
Maybe controversial but I much prefer when schools trust us to just answer questions freely without a strict word/character limits - this creates an artificial pressure to write to the limit rather to the topic.

How is everyone answering this question?
Please identify your area of professional interest below (Family medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc)” ? Do you just mention the specialty or elaborated why this specialty?
I am thinking to just say (Pediatrics). Thoughts?
I personally just listed the specialties that I'm interested in (Family Medicine, Neurology, Infectious Disease) and left it at that.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Please identify your area of professional interest below (Family medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc)” ? Do you just mention the specialty or elaborated why this specialty?
I listed what I am interested in and explained in 2-3 sentences how that interest started (previous experiences, shadowing, etc).

Anyone else see that it says

Doctor of Osteopathic Supplemental Application - 2022 - 2023​

LMAO like wha?? 2022-2023

1) Depending on which curriculum you pick, either 1a) Please prepare an essay that explains why you want to participate in the Problem Based Learning Curriculum (PBLC) and why you are a good fit for this curriculum or 1b) Please prepare an essay that explains why you want to participate in the Synergistic Guided Learning Curriculum and why you are a good fit for this curriculum.

2) Please identify your area of professional interest below (i.e. Family Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics, etc.)

3) How did you learn about osteopathic medicine and why is it a good fit for you?

4) Explain why you are interested in attending Rowan University School of Osteopathic Medicine:

5) Optional Essay
Please describe any significant barriers or challenges you may have overcome in the pursuit of your personal/professional goals:
This is strange, but I do not see that number one anywhere! I just listed "interested" for PBL and "highly interested" for SGL. I am looking everywhere for that question but don't see anywhere to further write about curriculum choice...

edit: I think the elaboration may only be if you choose "highly interested" for PBL, that's the only time another box pops up for me

Last edited:
I think if they wanted us to elaborate, they would say "and tell us why" or something. I think I am just going to list or pick one even though it's hard. I don't wanna be annoying, this is like my top choice school

Yes thats what it think too
this is true. if you mark interested for both you won't get an additional prompt, and if you mark interested in PBL and highly interested in SGL, you won't get a prompt. while i def don't think you should click interested (not highly) in both just to avoid another essay, i legit was equally interested in both, but didn't feel I could put highly interested in PBL because I genuinely am not sure that I would benefit most from that learning program. also, one of the student testimonials about PBL on their website talked about how she'd recommend shadowing a PBL student before choosing PBL, and I would want to do that (hopefully at interview) before saying I was highly interested. just some thoughts in case anyone else is wondering how others are handling that question!

this is true. if you mark interested for both you won't get an additional prompt, and if you mark interested in PBL and highly interested in SGL, you won't get a prompt. while i def don't think you should click interested (not highly) in both just to avoid another essay, i legit was equally interested in both, but didn't feel I could put highly interested in PBL because I genuinely am not sure that I would benefit most from that learning program. also, one of the student testimonials about PBL on their website talked about how she'd recommend shadowing a PBL student before choosing PBL, and I would want to do that (hopefully at interview) before saying I was highly interested. just some thoughts in case anyone else is wondering how others are handling that question!
Thanks for this response!! I know for sure that I do not want to do PBL, and I accidentally applied to an only PBL school and realized afterwards and was sad lmao. I def would do SGL at Rowan SOM. I need lectures and more guidance in my classes! that's just me tho :) shadowing a PBL student is a good idea!

Username is your AACOMAS ID. Did you create the account with the link?
Yes! Thank you! I figured it out. I think the system was too crowded on that day. I got in a few hours later.

Just got an email from Rowan saying that they expanded on Questions 5-7 on their secondary since it only took Spring 2020 into account. I misread it at first and thought I had done something wrong with those questions. Nearly gave myself a heart attack lol

I think it'll have to be resubmitted (no fee) whether you make changes or not.

just got an email saying they added more q's? I don't quite know, but here's what it says:

"We recently updated the secondary application questions (see below). We found Questions 5-7 did not cover the entire pandemic period and as such reopened the secondary application and granted you an extension until 08/09/2021.
Our Admissions Committee wants to know of any challenges the pandemic has caused you as part of their holistic review process. Please feel free to make any corrections using the username and password you created. If you are satisfied with your original response, kindly go onto to the submission page and resubmit your secondary application."

just got an email saying they added more q's? I don't quite know, but here's what it says:

"We recently updated the secondary application questions (see below). We found Questions 5-7 did not cover the entire pandemic period and as such reopened the secondary application and granted you an extension until 08/09/2021.
Our Admissions Committee wants to know of any challenges the pandemic has caused you as part of their holistic review process. Please feel free to make any corrections using the username and password you created. If you are satisfied with your original response, kindly go onto to the psubmission page and resubmit your secondary application.

Our Admissions Committee wants to know of any challenges the pandemic has caused you as part of their holistic review process. Please feel free to make any corrections using the username and password you created. If you are satisfied with your original response, kindly go onto to the submission page and resubmit your secondary application."
got the same.. we didn’t like miss these questions right? they just added them? glad i’m not the only one who ran to sdn after that email!!

got the same.. we didn’t like miss these questions right? they just added them? glad i’m not the only one who ran to sdn after that email!!
i think they just added them! although i signed into my secondary and it wont let me resubmit or change anything :unsure:

I had a save button below that page of the app. Then I went to the "Submission" page from the menu on the left. The checkbox for certification was already selected but there was a "Save and submit" button like I never sent the app before.

I think it's good that they actually revised these questions to say "Spring 2020-present" instead of "Spring 2020" as it was weird to only include one semester of 2-3 (+ summer) depending on a school.

Anyone else have their MCAT scores and Letters of Rec not received by Rowan yet even though all the other schools already have that information from your AACOMAS?

I can’t make any adjustments on my end and no “Save and Submit “ button
When did you guys submit your secondary? Maybe you did this after they revised these questions and they only oppened it for people who didn't have the revised version? The only difference was the timeline for online classes.

Anyone else have their MCAT scores and Letters of Rec not received by Rowan yet even though all the other schools already have that information from your AACOMAS?
As for the documents I also have them listed as missing:
1627925003137.png

But I wouldn't worry about this - many schools have a partially manual process of marking these as complete (and "not received" often means "we didn't approved them yet").

Does anyone else not have the new questions on their application?? I submitted my secondary 2 days ago, and I tried to go back and answer the new questions. The "save" buttons are there for me to save new responses, however there are no new questions.

Does anyone else not have the new questions on their application?? I submitted my secondary 2 days ago, and I tried to go back and answer the new questions. The "save" buttons are there for me to save new responses, however there are no new questions.
Oh wait I think they just edited the Qs that were already there NVM

How long is everyone's responses? I tried to keep mine within 1000-1500 characters, is that little?

How long is everyone's responses? I tried to keep mine within 1000-1500 characters, is that little?
Length doesn't really matter, tell your story. When you worry about length when there's no limit you leave stuff on the table.

Yeah, I think it just takes a bit to update for some schools. Same thing over here

"How did you learn about osteopathic medicine and why is it a good fit for you?"

If I applied last year, do you think it's okay to re-use the "how did I learn about osteo" but change why its a good fit for me?

For the additional info section. The prompt:

Have you participated in significant research projects that have led to publication?

Does anyone know if this means personal publication or research team publication? I worked in a research lab as an assistant but my name is not on any of the publications that my professor led.

For the additional info section. The prompt:

Have you participated in significant research projects that have led to publication?

Does anyone know if this means personal publication or research team publication? I worked in a research lab as an assistant but my name is not on any of the publications that my professor led.
If your name is not on the publication you shouldn't list it as a publication there IMHO. If you click "Yes" it opens many new fields with one of them being a link to the publication and DOI (presumably so they can confirm you're listed).

Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone else's portal say their file is complete, but the official MCAT score is labeled as not received? Everything else besides the score is in for me, and it says that my MCAT score was received by AACOMAS..

Does anyone else's portal say their file is complete, but the official MCAT score is labeled as not received? Everything else besides the score is in for me, and it says that my MCAT score was received by AACOMAS..
same here

Another school told me "yes" in such case, as if AACOMAS got the OFFICIAL score it should be transmitted along the application. Alternatively you can resubmit the app as update in AACOMAS - that way it forces schools' systems to update.