2021-2022 Pennsylvania (Perelman)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I know it's probably moot at this point but I was curious - for anyone who submitted an update letter, on the documents page, do you have a line that says "AD" (additional document)? Mine is there but has no date for "received by admissions office." I was wondering if that meant they never downloaded it - or maybe that's just how the updates look on their portal.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I know it's probably moot at this point but I was curious - for anyone who submitted an update letter, on the documents page, do you have a line that says "AD" (additional document)? Mine is there but has no date for "received by admissions office." I was wondering if that meant they never downloaded it - or maybe that's just how the updates look on their portal.

Thanks!
I submitted a pre-interview letter and it says the type of letter submitted, and then the date it was submitted (but there's nothing that says date received by admissions office). Does it let you click on and view the additional document? I'd think if you can view it, they probably can too. if not, could be worth emailing?

I submitted a pre-interview letter and it says the type of letter submitted, and then the date it was submitted (but there's nothing that says date received by admissions office). Does it let you click on and view the additional document? I'd think if you can view it, they probably can too. if not, could be worth emailing?
Yes! I can - I was kind of confusing but I was talking about under "status" and then "document status" I see my letter packet and a date and then "AD" with no date. I think you're right that if I can see it they can. But I think they're done here so it's not really important anyway! 😭 :rofl: Good luck with your cycle!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes! I can - I was kind of confusing but I was talking about under "status" and then "document status" I see my letter packet and a date and then "AD" with no date. I think you're right that if I can see it they can. But I think they're done here so it's not really important anyway! 😭 :rofl: Good luck with your cycle!!
Ohhh I see. I just checked under document status and it doesn't even list my update letter there lol (no AD, just letter packet). Oh well. Good luck with your cycle too!!

Reactions: 1 user
Do we know when decision calls come out? I saw on previous threads it was the first few days of March but in the email they sent us it says March 15th?
I think they always say by March 15th since per AMCAS rules you need to have given at least the number of acceptances to fill a class but usually it comes out that first day to two In March

Already submitted mine a month ago, I figure it's time to let everyone know where I stand as this cycle winds down.

Reactions: 1 users
Pre-II R complete early July.

it's begun! Pre-II R, complete in July, OOS, LM 81. Good luck to everyone who interviewed and is waiting for a decision!

Pre-II R, it’s time to consider retaking the MCAT…

• Care
Members don't see this ad :)
Pre-II R. I thought the rejection email was particularly nice.

Reactions: 5 users
Pre-II R here as well. Just feels good to be noticed 🤧

Pre-II R and my top choice :(

Hurt but at least the letter was very classy

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
Pre-II R today as well. This was definitely the nicest R email I’ve received, so props to them for that.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
pre-II R, not even mad because this rejection was the best one Ive received yet. kudos to UPenn.

ty very much penn for a lovely rejection email :')

R from Penn but wow that was a super nice rejection letter. It sounded poetic.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
From everything I've heard, both from adcom and students, penn is one of the most willing to match aid from other "similar" institutions. Does anyone know where they draw the line for similar? And do they use US News or some internal list. For example, UCLA last year was #6 this year it's #21, last year they might have matched this year they might not.

From everything I've heard, both from adcom and students, penn is one of the most willing to match aid from other "similar" institutions. Does anyone know where they draw the line for similar? And do they use US News or some internal list. For example, UCLA last year was #6 this year it's #21, last year they might have matched this year they might not.
Do you know if this applies to merit scholarships?

Do you know if this applies to merit scholarships?
Everything! I was specifically asking about merit. I know they give full tuition for anyone accepted to Harvard Stanford and NYU (since NYU gives full tuition). They also match Aid for all peer institutions, which I assume includes at least the entirety of T10s (friend got a match from WashU, which is at the bottom edge of T10, so I'm just assuming it's the same for the rest). For schools in the T20 range I'm unsure.

I personally know someone who is now MS4 who had their aid matched by Penn after being offered full tuition by UCLA

???? kind of an out-there claim without details. there are only ~30 full tuition ones mentioned here: Overview | MD Admissions | Admissions | Perelman School of Medicine at the University of Pennsylvania, which definitely outnumbers mutual acceptances from the above group
yea, I didn't really delve into the specifics of that. They award 30, but obv not everyone they give it to goes to penn. If you tell them "I'd love to go here, but I got into these 3" and you have no scholarship offer, you're at the top of the list to receive an offer once someone else chooses elsewhere. From my contacts in Penn, it has worked out such that everyone at penn that was cross admit that didn't initially receive a scholarship but was cross admit received full tuition soon after disclosing. Of course, it could just be that only those who got the offer chose to go, so they're not aware of those who didn't but my friends on student adcom seem to think it's not that. If you don't believe it, that's completely fine, but if you're cross admit hit up the financial aid committee and let us know how it goes!

I'm also not sure if penn only ends up awarding 30 full tuitions a year, or if that's just the number of Twenty-First Century Scholars. It's possible that given how much matching they do, students are later on given full or near full tuition but idk if "matched" aid puts you in that scholarship program.

I personally know someone who is now MS4 who had their aid matched by Penn after being offered full tuition by UCLA
Perhaps this could answer that question. Is the person you mentioned a Twenty-First Century Scholar after requesting an aid match? Thank You so much for that detail!

yea, I didn't really delve into the specifics of that. They award 30, but obv not everyone they give it to goes to penn. If you tell them "I'd love to go here, but I got into these 3" and you have no scholarship offer, you're at the top of the list to receive an offer once someone else chooses elsewhere. From my contacts in Penn, it has worked out such that everyone at penn that was cross admit that didn't initially receive a scholarship but was cross admit received full tuition soon after disclosing. Of course, it could just be that only those who got the offer chose to go, so they're not aware of those who didn't but my friends on student adcom seem to think it's not that. If you don't believe it, that's completely fine, but if you're cross admit hit up the financial aid committee and let us know how it goes!

I'm also not sure if penn only ends up awarding 30 full tuitions a year, or if that's just the number of Twenty-First Century Scholars. It's possible that given how much matching they do, students are later on given full or near full tuition but idk if "matched" aid puts you in that scholarship program.

Perhaps this could answer that question. Is the person you mentioned a Twenty-First Century Scholar after requesting an aid match? Thank You so much for that detail!
I see no negative on providing this information, if what allseasons saying is false then the acceptee losses nothing, but by he/she giving this information a potential acceptee may get more money and potentially choose Penn over another school.

Side Note: I have heard differing things about the culture at Penn. Could a current student or someone knowledgeable shed some light on AOA and clerkships. I’ve heard that penn does have H/HP/P/F but that upwards of 80% of the class gets H/HP on most rotations, is this true ?

Last edited:
I see no negative on proving this information, if what allseasons saying is false then the acceptee losses nothing, but by he/she giving this information a potential acceptee may get more money and potentially choose Penn over another school.

Side Note: I have heard differing things about the culture at Penn. Could a current student or someone knowledgeable shed some light on AOA and clerkships. I’ve heard that penn does have H/HP/P/F but that upwards of 80% of the class gets H/HP on most rotations, is this true ?
I asked my student interviewer about AOA and they said Penn does it after match day now

I asked my student interviewer about AOA and they said Penn does it after match day now
wait... what is even the point of that.
Like I'm glad... but what possible purpose does AOA even serve at that point LOL

wait... what is even the point of that.
Like I'm glad... but what possible purpose does AOA even serve at that point LOL
Just recondition for some people I guess. I kind of like it—takes pressure off to achieve AOA for apps but let's some people have the feather in their cap still

Is it too late to submit a letter of interest for Penn / schools in general?

probably not at penn, at a lot of schools yes
but idk that a letter of interest is gonna do anything
tbh something I've been wondering about is whether LOIs might make it seem like you're a less competitive candidate and that's the best school you got an II from, whereas not sending an LOI implies you have a lot of options. probably overthinking it, but just something that crossed my mind

did i imagine this or did they say decisions would come out by 3/15?
wondering if they say that every year, but then stuff usually comes out earlier than that day (because it looks like it's usually within the first 10 days of march)

I would say it would be best to wait and see if you get an A/WL at this point, so can save letter if you end up getting waitlisted. I was also thinking about sending a letter of interest now, but they've probably made their decisions at this point so best to wait

did i imagine this or did they say decisions would come out by 3/15?
wondering if they say that every year, but then stuff usually comes out earlier than that day (because it looks like it's usually within the first 10 days of march)
They said that at my interview day back in sept. Pretty sure they say that every year since AAMC requires them to send out # of acceptances to fill class by that date but usually it is released earlier in the first few days of March

If you go on the portal to status > document status - does anyone else have this random entry under type "AD" where every other category is blank. Has it always been there or is it recent? Not sure what it is. I did send an update letter but that of course is documented on the Document Upload tab

If you go on the portal to status > document status - does anyone else have this random entry under type "AD" where every other category is blank. Has it always been there or is it recent? Not sure what it is. I did send an update letter but that of course is documented on the Document Upload tab
Yea, but I think it's probably a clerical error. Or maybe on their side they uploaded the interview notes or something.

Mine says “PK”

I have AD there as well