2021-2022 New York Institute of Technology College of Osteopathic Medicine (NYITCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
complete end of June and still no news yet /:

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 4 users
No worries guys! Last year, they didn't start review until after Labor Day. Expect that to be the case this year too.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I never received a complete email but if I go onto the portal it says application complete, did this happen to anyone else? I submitted my secondary over a month ago.

Reactions: 1 users
do i have to submit a picture? how did you guys even take a passport picture and make sure its 2x2in
I went to CVS and took a passport picture, scanned it on the photo scanner on my phone, and emailed myself.

IS II as of 8/19! Application complete 7/26. Stats: MCAT 508, GPA: 3.75, SGPA: 3.59

Reactions: 3 users
I never received a complete email but if I go onto the portal it says application complete, did this happen to anyone else? I submitted my secondary over a month ago.
this happened to me too. I emailed the school just now about it to make sure everything is okay with my app

Reactions: 1 user
No II yet for the OW campus :( probably because of my mcat score. My secondary was confirmed to have been received 7/28 I'll keep you all updated. It'd be a dream come true if I attend this school so hopefully I hear back
MCAT: 503
Cumulative GPA: 3.91
OOS

Last edited:
  • Sad
Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)
3rd year student here on my month long break from rotations. Able to answer questions if you guys have them!

Just wanted to put my 2 cents out there about the school, take it with a grain of salt, YMMV. I agree with Kazill, there isn't an overriding identity or culture at the school. The class size is massive so you never really get a singular message on what the vibe with everyone is. The class size provides the benefit of diversity in people (although most I've met are from LI or the boroughs of NYC anyway) but you get to meet many different people and have a higher chance of connecting with someone compared to a class size of like 50. The downside of that is I never really felt like we were a cohesive class, never really connected to a larger whole that had a common shared experience. Everyone I have met though is super nice and willing to share materials or help study etc.

I will disagree on the faculty though. I think the lectures are par to subpar and would say the school has a maybe 6 decent lecturers, but you get exposed to like 50 lecturers. Like any medical school you end up just learning on your own and studying for COMLEX and Step using 3rd party materials, but I always felt the lectures weren't that good. Maybe that has all changed since my first two years since they continuously change the curriculum, like big changes all the time, but idk. You'll see you don't really learn how to be a doctor from lectures, that is all just a hurdle to jump over to get to going through actual clinical medicine. I have also really struggled to find a mentor at the school. Maybe what I have searched for is too niche, but I have been ghosted by my assigned faculty mentor and another clinical one who gave us lectures, a third was unemployed for the whole time I was emailing him and so couldn't really do anything for me and another was our small group leader but that changed during COVID and haven't heard from him since. There seems to be a decent turnover of admin here and turnover of the curriculum, which to me signals they don't have their stuff together. A lot of the faculty are graduates from the school, to me that means they can't attract anyone from anywhere else. Maybe a bad sign?
From what I have heard and my limited experience I would say we are somewhat prepared for rotations. Maybe it is just negative views carry easier, but I have heard a lot of stories of attendings saying we are dumb and don't know anything or how DO students are subpar, but I felt I could interview patients and know what was going on most of the time so far. Rotated with some students from Downstate who knew more than me though and definitely seemed to be more on top of it.

Lastly, if you go here be prepared to not be treated like an adult. Like I feel like I am still in undergrad going here where the faculty just treats you as a child they have to carry for 4 years. Examples of child like BS: rotations were having me write the time I came in the door everyday, we have to log EVERY SINGLE PATIENT encounter during 3rd year, you can't have any alcohol at school related events, admin sends threatening emails about stupid paperwork stuff that is 6 weeks in advance and then ghost you when you try and email them, got chewed out for 5 mins for being late by 5 mins to a meeting where I proceeded to wait 20 mins to be able fitted for a mask, you have to take tests proctored on your iPad in a big lecture hall, they then have to watch you while you review your tests and you can't even write notes down during it cause they think you'll cheat, no true clinical experience before 3rd year. I think just feeling like a child and not really being given any responsibility towards my education is what has been the thing that has bothered me a lot here. The admin demands respect, accountability and flexibility from the students, but I never feel like I get that back.
IDK every school is gonna have its issues but from the people close to my circle most of us are not fans of NYCOM. But that is just a personal opinion and experience, I encourage you to apply and make your own opinion! Let me know if anyone has questions I can try and help with, I have a lot of time on my hands.

Edit: added more BS I thought of

Last edited:
Reactions: 9 users
IDK every school is gonna have its issues but from the people close to my circle most of us are not fans of NYCOM. But that is just a personal opinion and experience, I encourage you to apply and make your own opinion! Let me know if anyone has questions I can try and help with, I have a lot of time on my hands.
Could you please shed some light on the specialized/competitive residencies that NYCOM alumni have made it to in 2021 and the last couple of years ?
Thanks for your insight !

Could you please shed some light on the specialized/competitive residencies that NYCOM alumni have made it to in 2021 and the last couple of years ?
Thanks for your insight !
Here is the match data that was emailed to us from this year. They unfortunately did not provide us a list connecting the two data points (Internal Medicine at XYZ Hospital) and have instead kept it separate. The school has also chosen to lump people who didn't match into "Transitional Year" which includes people who are actually taking a transitional year and we were told we would not be provided this data because people were SOAPing at the time of us asking :rolleyes:
Class of 2021 Match Hospitals.jpg
Class of 2021 Speciality Match_2.jpg

As for past years, this seems pretty consistent. People mostly match into a community based residency located in NE with some universities sprinkled throughout. I've seen some list in the past when I was applying and I will try and find it but this is what I had currently. I had heard that the previous year no one matched into ortho and there was only 1 derm match, but those were not confirmed with any data. My interactions with older alumni has mostly been through faculty, who are 90% FM, so I can't really say much on previous year's/historically matching results.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Here is the match data that was emailed to us from this year. They unfortunately did not provide us a list connecting the two data points (Internal Medicine at XYZ Hospital) and have instead kept it separate. The school has also chosen to lump people who didn't match into "Transitional Year" which includes people who are actually taking a transitional year and we were told we would not be provided this data because people were SOAPing at the time of us asking :rolleyes:View attachment 342624View attachment 342625

As for past years, this seems pretty consistent. People mostly match into a community based residency located in NE with some universities sprinkled throughout. I've seen some list in the past when I was applying and I will try and find it but this is what I had currently. I had heard that the previous year no one matched into ortho and there was only 1 derm match, but those were not confirmed with any data. My interactions with older alumni has mostly been through faculty, who are 90% FM, so I can't really say much on previous year's/historically matching results.
Thanks for sharing !
This is very impressive !

Thanks for sharing !
This is very impressive !
I also found the pdfs for 2017, 2018 and 2020. Let me know if you can't see them.

If you want to compare, here is the url for PCOM and Tuoro-NY. Similarly comparable schools based on region, maybe not reputation.

I also found the pdfs for 2017, 2018 and 2020. Let me know if you can't see them.

If you want to compare, here is the url for PCOM and Tuoro-NY. Similarly comparable schools based on region, maybe not reputation.

In your opinion which school has the better reputation. And what is the reputation each school has. NYIT vs Touro

Thanks @bashful-llama ! This is pretty comprehensive !

Did anyone else not send the secondary within 10 days? My laptop was being replaced.

In your opinion which school has the better reputation. And what is the reputation each school has. NYIT vs Touro
That is a tough question. I mean my view is going to be different than a residency director, but in my eyes Tuoro Harlem isn’t as good of a school. You get some benefits of being in the Tuoro system, but they seem to have even less resources than NYIT (which already feels low). I’ve heard the physical school is janky whereas NYIT is a full campus. That said, I’ve seen residents from both schools at the same programs so it might not really matter 🤷‍♂️

Anyone know if they want a full answer for their "where did you hear of us" question? Or is just saying something like, "the AACOMAS website" enough?

Anyone know if they want a full answer for their "where did you hear of us" question? Or is just saying something like, "the AACOMAS website" enough?
I think I had said that as well as learned about them from the Choose DO Virtual Expo. I even mentioned how I was able to hear from admissions and current students about their experiences at the school.

do y'all think they'll send out more II's today? i got excited seeing everyone say their II's invites yesterday so i ran to my email only to have my heart drop seeing them send out an email about their podcast :/

do y'all think they'll send out more II's today? i got excited seeing everyone say their II's invites yesterday so i ran to my email only to have my heart drop seeing them send out an email about their podcast :/
AFAIK, no one received II's since the first round few weeks ago. Everyone only got the podcast email few days ago- no one got IIs.

looks like jonesboro people got IIs yesterday. last II wave jonesboro got them first day and then OW IIs were sent second day. id assume we get some OW IIs today based on that

II OOS yesterday (8/30) scheduled for first available 9/20. Completed secondary app 8/23. First II very excited.

Stats: 496 MCAT, 3.44 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA

*Jonesboro

Last edited:
II OOS yesterday (8/30) scheduled for first available 9/20. Completed secondary app 8/23. First II very excited.

Stats: 496 MCAT, 3.44 cGPA, 3.7 sGPA
Hey, just to confirm, this is for the Jonesboro campus is that correct? A lot of us here are looking only for the OW campus information.

Hey, just to confirm, this is for the Jonesboro campus is that correct? A lot of us here are looking only for the OW campus information.
Yeah my bad that is Jonesboro

Last edited:
I think in a lot of the schools we should see a lot more movement since Labor Day has passed!
Also last year they sent out the second batch of interviews 3 weeks after the first batch, for this year that would be tomorrow!

Reactions: 5 users
II this morning!! Over the moon.

Reactions: 8 users
3rd year student here on my month long break from rotations. Able to answer questions if you guys have them!

Just wanted to put my 2 cents out there about the school, take it with a grain of salt, YMMV. I agree with Kazill, there isn't an overriding identity or culture at the school. The class size is massive so you never really get a singular message on what the vibe with everyone is. The class size provides the benefit of diversity in people (although most I've met are from LI or the boroughs of NYC anyway) but you get to meet many different people and have a higher chance of connecting with someone compared to a class size of like 50. The downside of that is I never really felt like we were a cohesive class, never really connected to a larger whole that had a common shared experience. Everyone I have met though is super nice and willing to share materials or help study etc.

I will disagree on the faculty though. I think the lectures are par to subpar and would say the school has a maybe 6 decent lecturers, but you get exposed to like 50 lecturers. Like any medical school you end up just learning on your own and studying for COMLEX and Step using 3rd party materials, but I always felt the lectures weren't that good. Maybe that has all changed since my first two years since they continuously change the curriculum, like big changes all the time, but idk. You'll see you don't really learn how to be a doctor from lectures, that is all just a hurdle to jump over to get to going through actual clinical medicine. I have also really struggled to find a mentor at the school. Maybe what I have searched for is too niche, but I have been ghosted by my assigned faculty mentor and another clinical one who gave us lectures, a third was unemployed for the whole time I was emailing him and so couldn't really do anything for me and another was our small group leader but that changed during COVID and haven't heard from him since. There seems to be a decent turnover of admin here and turnover of the curriculum, which to me signals they don't have their stuff together. A lot of the faculty are graduates from the school, to me that means they can't attract anyone from anywhere else. Maybe a bad sign?
From what I have heard and my limited experience I would say we are somewhat prepared for rotations. Maybe it is just negative views carry easier, but I have heard a lot of stories of attendings saying we are dumb and don't know anything or how DO students are subpar, but I felt I could interview patients and know what was going on most of the time so far. Rotated with some students from Downstate who knew more than me though and definitely seemed to be more on top of it.

Lastly, if you go here be prepared to not be treated like an adult. Like I feel like I am still in undergrad going here where the faculty just treats you as a child they have to carry for 4 years. Examples of child like BS: rotations were having me write the time I came in the door everyday, we have to log EVERY SINGLE PATIENT encounter during 3rd year, you can't have any alcohol at school related events, admin sends threatening emails about stupid paperwork stuff that is 6 weeks in advance and then ghost you when you try and email them, got chewed out for 5 mins for being late by 5 mins to a meeting where I proceeded to wait 20 mins to be able fitted for a mask, you have to take tests proctored on your iPad in a big lecture hall, they then have to watch you while you review your tests and you can't even write notes down during it cause they think you'll cheat, no true clinical experience before 3rd year. I think just feeling like a child and not really being given any responsibility towards my education is what has been the thing that has bothered me a lot here. The admin demands respect, accountability and flexibility from the students, but I never feel like I get that back.

Edit: added more BS I thought of
Just alot better places to go. This NYIT-JB story gets repeated over and over again.

Yes, it's for the Old Westbury location. LM 63 and complete 7/3.

Reactions: 4 users
Is there any available data on II -> A rates/percentages for the OW Campus?

I know its still early and this may be a silly question, but I was never taken off the waitlist last cycle. How high are my chances that I'll receive another II from this school? TIA!

I know its still early and this may be a silly question, but I was never taken off the waitlist last cycle. How high are my chances that I'll receive another II from this school? TIA!
Are you IS or OOS -- when did you reapply this cycle ?

Anyone now how long it usually takes to hear back after the interview?