2021-2022 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if the prematriculation requirements have a strict deadline of 30 days? As in do we lose our spot if we don’t get everything in exactly 30 days after we submitted our deposit?
I think the deadline after deposit is april 1st

Members don't see this ad.

I toured the East Lansing campus today and realized they didn’t show us a simulation lab. is there not a Sim lab at the EL campus ?
I'm a current OMS-I at the EL campus. The Learning and Assessment Center is on the 6th floor of Fee Hall - that's where the Sim Lab is and where we have our OSCEs.

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone who interviewed late Feb-March hear anything back yet?
II on the 18th and it has been silent since. One of my friends who II on the 16th got a T1 WL...

I suspect that we are in a weird limbo of "we like some of these candidates but we are full" which tends to mean WL.

For any current students, the week in between the summer and fall semesters. Are there any requirements that week or would it be safe to schedule a trip in that time off?

For any current students, the week in between the summer and fall semesters. Are there any requirements that week or would it be safe to schedule a trip in that time off?
No, not as an OMS-I, to my knowledge. I enjoyed that week off by doing nothing and it was grand.

Reactions: 1 user
Ok, real quick poll b/c this is giving me insomnia. Has anyone been accepted AFTER Feb. 10th?

Hey y'all, I'm going to be applying to MSUCOM this upcoming cycle as a non-URM OOS w/o ties. This is one of my first-choice DO schools, so I was wondering what my prospective chances are (or how I can improve my chances). Stats are 3.73c/509 (Low CARS).

Any particulars MSUCOM looks for in its apps?

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
is there a current OMS that can let us know if there is a computer lab within Fee Hall that med students can go study in? I am just trying to see if I should invest into a desktop

is there a current OMS that can let us know if there is a computer lab within Fee Hall that med students can go study in? I am just trying to see if I should invest into a desktop
My advice is to invest into portable forms of devices (laptop, tablet, etc). There will be in-person exams / OSCE where you need your own devices to take the exam or to write up documentation for the patient interaction. Take the money you would spend into a desktop and invest it into a good laptop. Me personally, I wanted something light and durable that will last me during residency.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hey y'all, I'm going to be applying to MSUCOM this upcoming cycle as a non-URM OOS w/o ties. This is one of my first-choice DO schools, so I was wondering what my prospective chances are (or how I can improve my chances). Stats are 3.73c/509 (Low CARS).

MSUCOM is really into IS applicants and those with strong ties to Michigan. It's still possible to matriculate here as an OOS without ties, but it's a low chance. Your best bet is to be able to articulate exactly why MSUCOM is the right place for you and you are the right match for them. Best of luck to you!!

Hello! I was about the same with my stats. I am Filipino and OOS w/o ties. Science GPA 3.6. Cumulative GPA 3.73. MCAT 506 > 509 with really low cars score. I got an interview invite in February! But also please take this as n=1. I think I probably got an interview due to my international extra-curriculars. I still do not know the results of my interview as I just interviewed 2 weeks ago (almost), but I'll let you know!

• Love
So info session today, I look forward to getting an update on how full the classes are!

I attended the info session. Basically mentioned how they haven't stopped giving out acceptances to people on waitlist and people who interviewed. I'm keeping my hopes up.

Reactions: 5 users
I attended the info session. Basically mentioned how they haven't stopped giving out acceptances to people on waitlist and people who interviewed. I'm keeping my hopes up.
Who was doing the presentation? Was it Lyman or someone else?

I can second this. I also attended. They said they will be giving out As for the rest of this month and some of next month as well

Reactions: 3 users
I can second this. I also attended. They said they will be giving out As for the rest of this month and some of next month as well
So far it seems that none of the post Feb 10 people have received an A yet, but it seems they do have more batches of A's coming then. I am glad to be wrong in this instance.

Good luck to everyone moving forward.

does anyone know why some people get waitlisted and some get accepted? is it because they accept who they deem is most fit first? because I know people with high GPAs and MCATs get waitlisted or not offered a II at all, I'm just wondering how this process works

does anyone know why some people get waitlisted and some get accepted? is it because they accept who they deem is most fit first? because I know people with high GPAs and MCATs get waitlisted or not offered a II at all, I'm just wondering how this process works
They look at everything, GPA and MCAT isn't everything

Not too important imo, after all they II you without knowing your CASPER score. Even on their website it is not important enough to be mentioned in what they look at:

That being said, before I get your hopes up, you should know that if you interviewed after Feb. 10 MSUCOM is currently full with "more A's than seats". This doesn't mean you won't get in, but that they are likely looking to fill out their WL.
Thank you so much! I get it a 100% and can only hope for the best at this point. Regardless I believe we will all make into the places we are supposed to!!!

Nope. I interviewed 3/7 though and was told it’ll probably take 3 weeks

Did they tell you at the interview?
Last night at the info session he said that it should take 4 weeks and to reach out if you haven't heard back by then.

Did they tell you at the interview?
I went to the admissions committee meeting 2 days after my interview. I asked when it would be possible to hear back by. The person asked me when my day was. They then said "ok so that was 2 days ago. they'll probably discuss you this thursday or the next (3/16). so it should be about 3 weeks." I do understand that is probably not a conservative timespan so I was thinking 4-6 is more probable!

I sent an email to ask about my status and they said that they're trying their best to get all interviewed applicants to the committee so it doesn't sound like I have been reviewed yet and I interviewed about a month ago.

I sent an email to ask about my status and they said that they're trying their best to get all interviewed applicants to the committee so it doesn't sound like I have been reviewed yet and I interviewed about a month ago.
The 18th? I am in a similar boat and plan to email them.

If I had to guess, they're waiting for acceptances to go down so they can give out more.

If I had to guess, they're waiting for acceptances to go down so they can give out more.
Not true. They said they will be giving out As all month and some of next month. They said it at the seminar on Wednesday

Not true. They said they will be giving out As all month and some of next month. They said it at the seminar on Wednesday
I just meant that given they do have more acceptances than seats, perhaps they're seeing how many drop to have an idea of how many to give out. I didn't mean they're not giving out acceptances anymore

So I have been following the MSUCOM application cycle since it started and the pattern I noticed for "phase 2" (Post January II) is 1-2 weeks after your interview you would (if admitted) get the call on Thursday. It be a phone call followed by an email. However, post Feb. 10 this seems to change. The last group on A were given out and I have only seen WL and R since then (@Lolala coming to mind who II on the 16th and got a T1 WL last week).

I am not sure they are waiting for A as the only seats that would open up for a school like MSUCOM would be students who get into MD programs (MSUCOM is arguable the best DO school in the USA) and that is likely to happen in April/ May, meaning something else is slowing them down (assuming what the March info session folks were told is true and that A are coming out in March). Besides, if they are waiting for people to decline A's then the would just send WL.
My guess is that in March the late Feb people will hear back and in May (the last month of A's) the March people will hear back.

Last edited:
am not sure they are waiting for A as the only seats that would open up for a school like MSUCOM would be students who get into MD programs (MSUCOM is arguable the best DO school in the USA) and that is likely to happen in April/ May,
I agree that MSUCOM is one of the best DO schools in the country, but I think people might still drop acceptance before MD WL movement for location and financial aid reasons.

I agree that MSUCOM is one of the best DO schools in the country, but I think people might still drop acceptance before MD WL movement for location and financial aid reasons.
I agree.. trust me people want to go to med school in other places other than Michigan

FA is a good one, I completely forgot about that. 65K is a tad expensive for OOS people too. Good point!

MSU DO interview today at 2:15!!! 😅😅😅 please send good vibes

Reactions: 8 users