2021-2022 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dang.. I have my interview in 45 minutes. I guess I'm going for the waitlist now.
In mid Feb I was told by Lyman Mower that they were only about 2/3 full. Aim for that A, we all still have a shot!

Members don't see this ad.

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Just got the WL email 🙃. It says it's first tier WL, can someone explain to me what that means? And how likely is it to get pulled from the WL? And long do they usually take to make a final decision?

+1 on that first tier WL!

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I just finished my interview! I think it went well for the most part. It felt very informal but I enjoyed the conversation we had. I think I could have answered 1-2 of the questions much better than I actually did, but it's okay. Nothing I can do about it now. Fingers crossed! I also just registered to go to the admissions orientation meeting to see how long I can expect the decision to take.

• Love
I just finished my interview! I think it went well for the most part. It felt very informal but I enjoyed the conversation we had. I think I could have answered 1-2 of the questions much better than I actually did, but it's okay. Nothing I can do about it now. Fingers crossed! I also just registered to go to the admissions orientation meeting to see how long I can expect the decision to take.
Please let us know what they tell you lol

Guys I have not heard anything back from this university. Is it safe to say that I'm not getting an interview invite? :'(

Is it true MSUCOM only makes Acceptance phone calls on Thursday? I thought I read that somewhere but am unsure if it is confirmed.

Is it true MSUCOM only makes Acceptance phone calls on Thursday? I thought I read that somewhere but am unsure if it is confirmed.
I was accepted back in October and I got a call from the East Lansing area code on Thursday before I got the email on Friday.

Anyone know how we can see which scholarships we are eligible for after acceptance?

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats! This gives me hope that there still might be a chance. Do you mind sharing stats?
I have only a 501 McAT. 3.89 post bacc gpa. 9000 clinical hours, 1000 hours of shadowing, 7 years research, 900 hours of volunteering. Nontrad

Reactions: 1 users
URM 506 MCAT, 2.63 undergrad gpa no post-bacc. >15000 clinical hours, hundreds of shadowing hours 2 years of parenting hours. According to AAMC stats I have 24% chance of acceptance for the 2.6-2.79/506-509 MCAT category

Last edited:
  • Care
URM 506 MCAT, 2.63 undergrad gpa no post-bacc. >15000 clinical hours, hundreds of shadowing hours 2 years of parenting hours. According to AAMC stats I have 24% change of acceptance for the 2.6-2.79/506-509 MCAT category
According to the AAMC I had a 70% chance and have not had a single MD interview (I applied to both MD/ DO programs). Point is, you are more than your stats. Your MCAT is solid for DO schools, I would maybe consider a post-bacc if things don't go well. Also you are a URM and a lot of schools will appreciate that!

Hold you head high, I have faith that you will get in. It just may be a bit later than you anticipated.

According to the AAMC I had a 70% chance and have not had a single MD interview (I applied to both MD/ DO programs). Point is, you are more than your stats. Your MCAT is solid for DO schools, I would maybe consider a post-bacc if things don't go well. Also you are a URM and a lot of schools will appreciate that!

Hold you head high, I have faith that you will get in. It just may be a bit later than you anticipated.
Thanks. With those miserable stats, I still got at interview at MSU CHM MD but was rejected. Probably ultimate because of the stats... What are you stats?

Thanks. With those miserable stats, I still got at interview at MSU CHM MD but was rejected. Probably ultimate because of the stats... What are you stats?
510/3.9 ORM. You did better than I did, I got no II from CHM XD

510/3.9 ORM. You did better than I did, I got no II from CHM XD
Great stats lol... I only got interview because of my excellent fit on paper. Apparently I was one of the worst in the MMI. Yikes. And the med student interviewer said I didn't talk about medicine enough even though there was only ONE question relating to medicine. And zero community service.

• Care
Great stats lol... I only got interview because of my excellent fit on paper. Apparently I was one of the worst in the MMI. Yikes. And the med student interviewer said I didn't talk about medicine enough even though there was only ONE question relating to medicine. And zero community service.
How did you find this out?

Did anyone here get a WL then an A? I'm just curious to know how long they usually take to make decisions for the WL people

Did anyone here get a WL then an A? I'm just curious to know how long they usually take to make decisions for the WL people
My best guess is mid May - June, this is b/c the last day they offer A's are in May. I know other school start to offer WL in April but MSUCOM seems to be a bit slower with II, A, and WL movement.

My best guess is mid May - June, this is b/c the last day they offer A's are in May. I know other school start to offer WL in April but MSUCOM seems to be a bit slower with II, A, and WL movement.
Gotcha.. I thought the last date for offering an A was early May cus don't we have to report to AACOMAS the school we're attending? Or is that just an MD thing?

Gotcha.. I thought the last date for offering an A was early May cus don't we have to report to AACOMAS the school we're attending? Or is that just an MD thing?
My understanding is that the DO folks have slightly different procedures than the MD folks (AACOMAS Traffic Guidelines). I know for DO WL you can get offers up until the classes start (LECOM for example), unsure about MD.
Are interviews this late for waitlist spots? Or are they always interviewing for open seats
That was my worry when I got my interview in mid Feb. At the info session the director of admissions said that they were about 2/3 of the way through and that they don't interview applicants that don't have a reasonable chance of being admitted. Assuming I didn't mishear anything (feel free to correct me if I did) I think late Interviewees still have good shots at getting an A.

Reactions: 3 users
Has anyone been able to set up their MSU NetID? I can't find my PIN PAN anywhere

What do they cover in the admissions info session? I am registered and don’t really know what to expect. Should I dress business casual?

What do they cover in the admissions info session? I am registered and don’t really know what to expect. Should I dress business casual?
A lot of neat topics including when you can expect to hear back from MSUCOM, how far they are in the application cycle, schools outcomes (match list, % unmatched, etc.)

I would wear something nice as you meet the director of admissions, but it is casual and has no bearing on your admission prospects and you can keep your webcam off.

A lot of neat topics including when you can expect to hear back from MSUCOM, how far they are in the application cycle, schools outcomes (match list, % unmatched, etc.)

I would wear something nice as you meet the director of admissions, but it is casual and has no bearing on your admission prospects and you can keep your webcam off.
Oh perfect! Thank you very much! I will dress up a bit then just in case I need to show my face at any point😅

How did you guys register for the admissions section? I just got an II yesterday and I can’t figure out where to register

Do you guys think that people who II in the week of Feb 14-18 will start getting A's tomorrow? I know some 2/16 people have heard back and that they give out A on Thursday so maybe we will hear back?

Do you guys think that people who II in the week of Feb 14-18 will start getting A's tomorrow? I know some 2/16 people have heard back and that they give out A on Thursday so maybe we will hear back?
I certainly hope so 🤞

how does the acceptance process work? my interview went very well today, how likely are they to offer me an acceptance given that a march interview is really late in the cycle?

This is not true. Source: I was a tier one waitlist who did not get in.
It does vary year to year but my guess is that you are talking about last year with the whole "22% increase in medical school applicants" MSUCOM itself had a 22% increase in the 2020-2021 year (Facts and Figures | MSU Osteopathic Medicine) so I would figure that would be one of the slow years where not all the tier 1 WL folks will get in, given there are likely more of them.

How did you guys register for the admissions section? I just got an II yesterday and I can’t figure out where to register
It's on your application portal.. under interview click on additional details and you should see some links to the admissions committee one and the student Q&A.

A little sad now. I was at the admissions webinar today and they noted that they currently have their classes filled with more acceptances out than seats. They said that this changes per day. So I‘m just expecting the waitlist notification at this point :/