2021-2022 Michigan State University College of Osteopathic Medicine (MSUCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
MSU DO interview today at 2:15!!! 😅😅😅 please send good vibes
MSU does a nice job paring you with someone you have something in common with (I got an MSU alum who lived in Mi all their life). Relax and have fun with it!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
MSU does a nice job paring you with someone you have something in common with (I got an MSU alum who lived in Mi all their life). Relax and have fun with it!
Phew. Done. I thought it went ok. I always get a wave of “I could have said… I should have said” anxiety after interviews.
My interviewer said one of my comments was “very very insightful, thank you”
So hopefully that makes me memorable 😅

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
T1 Waitlist just now. 2/16 interview - hopeful for waitlist movement soon!

Reactions: 1 user
T1 WL as well. Makes sense given what we know about their class status.

@Legaldruggist1 @b00nder @psych.pineapple @telalala

So I know it kind of of sucks now but T1 WL is not that bad, they seem to have a good amount of movement with some years everyone who is on it will get an offer. There is a reason a T2 and T3 WL exist. Even in years where they did not get everyone off their T1 WL my understanding is they still pulled a majority off it. I also know that MSU's WL moves faster than other school b/c they start so early so we should will start hearing back from them as soon as II are done!

+1 T1 waitlist. Interviewed 2/18. Any idea how many people are for T1 waitlist and how much movement there is typically?

Anybody from 2/22 onward hear back?

Also did anybody get an acceptance today?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'd like to know how they differentiate amongst T1 WL. Do they have it fully ranked (like John Smith is 1st, Peter Parker is 2nd, etc) or is is first come first serve amongst the T1's?

I'd like to know how they differentiate amongst T1 WL. Do they have it fully ranked (like John Smith is 1st, Peter Parker is 2nd, etc) or is is first come first serve amongst the T1's?
Same! However I would assume that if you got put on the T1 WL first you would be taken off it first and if people drop from it you can move up on the list. I’m not 100% that’s how it works because I haven’t been able to find any info like that on the website or anything but I think thats how a traditional WL would be.

Did anyone get accepted without sending thank you letters? I know it says it’s not expected I just want to make sure

I have a question for current med students or anyone that knows.....What are some good places to live/rent for med students away from all the undergrad. noise/parties and where other students live.

also if those are a little expensive, I don't mind commuting a little either as long as the spot is safe. I don't know much about the area and what spots are safer.

I have a question for current med students or anyone that knows.....What are some good places to live/rent for med students away from all the undergrad. noise/parties and where other students live.

also if those are a little expensive, I don't mind commuting a little either as long as the spot is safe. I don't know much about the area and what spots are safer.
I know EL well, I was born there! It will be very difficult to find any housing away from undergrads. MSU is huge! There are students everywhere. If you want a more residential area, Holt is an excellent little town, and only a skip from campus.

A lot of grad students live in the southeast part of campus, like in Berrytree Apartments or near there.

A lot of grad students live in the southeast part of campus, like in Berrytree Apartments or near there.
Went to MSU for undergrad, highly recommend Glenwood apartments (part of the berry tree community) it is within 10/15 minutes walking of Fee hall, away from majority of “party apartments”, and pretty affordable compared to other EL apartments. Don’t recommend the lodges- I lived there for a year and it’s way overpriced/poor maintenance/very loud. A lot of med students live at Hannah Lofts as well which is super nice but on the more expensive side

Went to MSU for undergrad, highly recommend Glenwood apartments (part of the berry tree community) it is within 10/15 minutes walking of Fee hall, away from majority of “party apartments”, and pretty affordable compared to other EL apartments. Don’t recommend the lodges- I lived there for a year and it’s way overpriced/poor maintenance/very loud. A lot of med students live at Hannah Lofts as well which is super nice but on the more expensive side
I know EL well, I was born there! It will be very difficult to find any housing away from undergrads. MSU is huge! There are students everywhere. If you want a more residential area, Holt is an excellent little town, and only a skip from campus.
How bad is the noise? I like the college environment but I NEED quite when I sleep. As time goes on I am kind a starting to inch closer to Macomb from EL.

How bad is the noise? I like the college environment but I NEED quite when I sleep. As time goes on I am kind a starting to inch closer to Macomb from EL.
Macomb would definitely be more chill. Game time is always quite the event, haha

The people noise will be quieter over there, but there is a train that goes through at night around 2 times that would probably wake you up if you are not used to it. It took me like a month to get used to it in Undergrad.

Does anyone else just overthink everything they said in their interview???! I’m agonizing over it 😤

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone else just overthink everything they said in their interview???! I’m agonizing over it 😤
You only remember the bad I’m sure it went great. I’m just kinda butt hurt that I feel like I’m waiting for an inevitable waitlist.

Reactions: 3 users
So is it safe to assume that April is when the WL movement starts?

You only remember the bad I’m sure it went great. I’m just kinda butt hurt that I feel like I’m waiting for an inevitable waitlist.
T1 WL is not that bad, it means you are a smidgen away from being A and got a rare II sent to only about 450 / 8000 applicants. If you strengthen you application for next cycle + come across as determined in your secondaries I think you are in a good spot next cycle.

So is it safe to assume that April is when the WL movement starts?
Last year was around the end of April… which is sooo far away!!
The earliest I have seen it is late March and the latest is late April/early May. I know that they tend to be done by the end of May (they have to be since they start in early June).

T1 WL is not that bad, it means you are a smidgen away from being A and got a rare II sent to only about 450 / 8000 applicants. If you strengthen you application for next cycle + come across as determined in your secondaries I think you are in a good spot next cycle.
I got in somewhere so I shouldn’t be whining too much, but I want to stay close to my family.

I’m already like “when will I hear back!” and I literally interviewed on Wednesday.

• Haha
Has anyone gotten in without ties to Michigan? I’m from the Midwest and would definitely consider doing residency in Michigan and eventually practicing there, but I don’t have any specific ties. Do you think I should send a letter of intent before or after my decision/getting waitlisted? (Interviewed 3/23)

Got a T2 waitlist email and interviewed 2/23. Is it game over for me?
Game over is T3, but I will be honest the prognosis on T2 is not that good. MSUCOM is arguably the best DO school in the USA, I imagine the only WL movement we will see is either people who have been accepted to MD programs, or people who have been offered significant financial aid elsewhere.

If you have no other A's I would definitely prepare for reapplication. Heck I am a T1 and am preparing regardless.

Hey all, I have been just following this thread for a while but never posted. I interviewed 3/2 and was just accepted this morning. There is still hope if you're waiting. Good luck to everyone!

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Hey all, I have been just following this thread for a while but never posted. I interviewed 3/2 and was just accepted this morning. There is still hope if you're waiting. Good luck to everyone!
Oh wow, congratulations!!!!

Does this mean WL movement will start early this year given that they had room to give out A's?

Congratulations! Mind sharing stats? I always expected them to call on Thursday or Friday. Now I’m going to be on alert 24/7

Congratulations! Did they call you? Or was it just an email?

Does anybody know if they're still interviewing people or sending out II's?

Does anybody know if they're still interviewing people or sending out II's?
I don’t think they are sending more II. Interviews should be ending soon too like end of March early April