2021-2022 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Accepted student here to Joplin. Does anyone know if you can switch to the Kansas City campus? I have multiple acceptances so I figured it might be worth a shot.

Members don't see this ad.

if you applied for both campuses but now you have a preference can you indicate that at the interview?

Accepted student here to Joplin. Does anyone know if you can switch to the Kansas City campus? I have multiple acceptances so I figured it might be worth a shot.
I want to try this, too. I wish I knew more about Kansas City before I applied.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Once you got accepted, no chance of switching campus choice.

I've never heard of this being successful. But as a Joplin student, it is not a really bad place to study. I wouldn't change anything.

I've never heard of this being successful. But as a Joplin student, it is not a really bad place to study. I wouldn't change anything.
I didn’t think about where my spouse could end up working until after I applied. Womp womp

Accepted to KC campus! omggg im still in disbelief! my first interview and acceptance! i really was trying not to get my hopes up after the interview so this is such a happy shock! i wish everyone here the best of the best! im rooting for you all - please remember guys, all it takes is 1 A and I know it's easier said than done but sometimes life just wants to test us and bring persistence out of us for the heck of it, so hang in there for those of you who are waiting to hear back or haven't heard positive news from schools yet, you all are superstars in your own right and sometimes it takes the world awhile to see how bright stars can shine ;) Sending everyone lots of good wishes! that's enough from me, im gonna shut up and spam my family now :D

Reactions: 9 users
Members don't see this ad :)
@DrCoolWhip or any other Joplin students, I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me.

Where do students go for 3rd and 4th year rotations? It seems many stay in Joplin - is it possible to stay in Joplin and do rotations there for all 4 years?
Do you feel any disadvantages being students at the new campus?
How do Joplin students compare with KC students in terms of board scores and matching?
It seems a majority of Joplin students do not want to specialize/take the STEP, is this accurate?
Are you happy at Joplin or would you have liked to go somewhere else?

Thank you!

How was the interview like? was it more like MMI? and what did you guys do in the group activity?

@DrCoolWhip or any other Joplin students, I was wondering if you could answer some questions for me.

Where do students go for 3rd and 4th year rotations? It seems many stay in Joplin - is it possible to stay in Joplin and do rotations there for all 4 years?
How do Joplin students compare with KC students in terms of board scores and matching?
It seems a majority of Joplin students do not want to specialize/take the STEP, is this accurate?

Thank you!
Hey there, current 4th year at KCU Joplin-- Answered this in the other forum but just wanted to post here too for whoever else.
1. You can find all the possible clerkship sites for 3rd year here Clerkships
2. It is absolutely possible to stay in Joplin and do all rotations there for all 4 years. Joplin has 2 hospitals that students do their rotations at-- Freeman or Mercy. If you go to Freeman, it's very easy to stay in this area because the clinical education people there will basically coordinate your schedule for you for 4th year if you want. I've done all my rotations at Freeman except a couple this year which I coordinated with a hospital back home. I've also felt no disadvantage to going to the new campus.
3. I'm not sure about how Joplin students compare with KC students as far as board scores and matching. For Matching, Joplin had a very solid match list for a DO school. For STEP, I doubt it's very different campus-to-campus because we have all the same lectures for each campus.
4. I can speak to my friend group and our step/specialty choices-- 10 people come to mind- 9 of us have taken both step 1 and 2. 3 of us want to do general surgery, 2 orthopedic surgery, 1 family medicine, 2 OB, 1 IM, and 1 pediatrics.
5. Overall, I'm happy in Joplin! It's really a nice community. We're also an hour north of Northwest Arkansas which is awesome for really anything you want to do (hiking, entertainment, etc). None of my gripes or complaints have anything to do with going to JOPLIN.

Reactions: 2 users

Thank you!
So as a current 4th year, I chose to stay in Joplin. You can also go to other places, but many of us did choose to stay in the area. I did some of this year at other locations for SubI's/Auditions, but otherwise, I have been in Joplin. I do not feel I have been at a disadvantage for my education. I feel like I have been able to do a lot and learn a lot hands on. There are some residents, but not every rotation is with residents, which I like cause then I have been "closer to the patient". As I have not rotated in KC, I cannot say if this is more superior, but I will say it worked well for me and I think that it prepared me well for when I went out to auditions.

Have I felt a disadvantage being at a new campus? Not really. The first class just graduated and have left programs across the country with a great impression of what Joplin can produce. There is a lot of cross-sharing too between Joplin and KC preclinically.

I have not heard the narrative that the majority of Joplin students do not want to specialize or take STEP. I feel it is in the same percentage as the KC campus. I personally took STEP. I know someone who took STEP 1 but not 2 (but based on their STEP 1/LEVEL 1 scores and their personal goals). But otherwise, most I know took both and have ideas to either apply to just as competitive specialties or are going Gen Surg/IM with plans for Fellowship specialization. I mean, we did have a Neurosurg and Vascular matches from the graduates last year.

Overall, I am happy where I am at. I feel that I have been exposed to a lot in terms of education and breadth of cases. I have met a lot of great people and I have been able to study in a great area. It's definitely a small town (but not the smallest I have been in).

How was the interview like? was it more like MMI? and what did you guys do in the group activity?
Interviewers have to sign an NDA so people who have already interviewed will not be able to tell you specifics such as questions asked/ group activity details. I'm interviewing this week and what I was told from the school is that it's three 10 minute interviews in MMI style and a group activity. From people who have already interviewed the general reply has been that it was not a very high-stress interview and most people I talked to felt positive after their interview. Hope this helps.

Reactions: 1 users
Just received a complete and qualified status email, saying I didn't get an Interview invite at this moment but my application will be reviewed periodically. Is this a rejection letter?

Just received a complete and qualified status email, saying I didn't get an Interview invite at this moment but my application will be reviewed periodically. Is this a rejection letter?
i got the same thing awhile back, apparently its not a rejection letter but I'm not too sure lol.

i got the same thing awhile back, apparently its not a rejection letter but I'm not too sure lol.
Hopefully you and I will get an interview invite when the first deadline for accepting offers passes!

Interviewers have to sign an NDA so people who have already interviewed will not be able to tell you specifics such as questions asked/ group activity details. I'm interviewing this week and what I was told from the school is that it's three 10 minute interviews in MMI style and a group activity. From people who have already interviewed the general reply has been that it was not a very high-stress interview and most people I talked to felt positive after their interview. Hope this helps.
Thank you !!

Anyone feel “Meh” about their interview and still get an acceptance?

Whats your stats if you dont mind sharing. Congratulations
Sorry, I haven’t been accepted/rejected yet! Interviewed today and just feel okay about it so I was wondering if people that got accepted generally felt really good post interview or if there were any people in my boat hahah. Hoping we all get an A!

Sorry, I haven’t been accepted/rejected yet! Interviewed today and just feel okay about it so I was wondering if people that got accepted generally felt really good post interview or if there were any people in my boat hahah. Hoping we all get an A!
Haha gotcha. I didnt pay attention. I was texting and driving. Not a good idea fellas 😅

Anyone feel “Meh” about their interview and still get an acceptance?
Me!!! I finished my interview thinking that was mediocre and mostly pissed at myself for forgetting a lot of things i should've said...so imagine my pleasant surprise when 2 weeks later i got an acceptance when the whole time after the interview, i'd spent blocking interview day out of my mind because i was convinced i blew my shot...so hang in there if you felt your interview wasn't the best, they look at a lot of other stuff from your application too! I'm rooting for you!

Me!!! I finished my interview thinking that was mediocre and mostly pissed at myself for forgetting a lot of things i should've said...so imagine my pleasant surprise when 2 weeks later i got an acceptance when the whole time after the interview, i'd spent blocking interview day out of my mind because i was convinced i blew my shot...so hang in there if you felt your interview wasn't the best, they look at a lot of other stuff from your application too! I'm rooting for you!
Thank you so much! And congratulations!

Congrats! Also, did you say you heard 2 weeks after the interview? That's quick 😳

Does anyone know when we will get the email about creating a workday account and taking the survey after the interview? I interviewed December 1st.

Should we be worried if we didn’t get a response from thank you letters

When did you interview?

Has anyone from the qualified list received an II yet?

Waitlisted. I had felt really good about this application cycle and this interview in particular. Congrats to those who got in and good luck to my fellow waitlisters in April/May.

• Care
Congrats! Also, did you say you heard 2 weeks after the interview? That's quick 😳
Yeah I interviewed Oct 27th and heard back like mid-Nov so it was much earlier than I expected since they say 4-6 weeks of a turnaround time

• Wow
When did you interview?
Oct 27th!

Edit: I should probably give you a heads-up though - I'm Canadian so I don't know if that makes a difference or anything in terms of my application being in a separate pile than American applications which may have expedited my decision results or something, im just speculating although my gut instinct says that's probably not the case

Does anyone know when we will get the email about creating a workday account and taking the survey after the interview? I interviewed December 1st.
I interviewed Dec 3 and haven't received that either. I just came on here to check if anyone else had that problem and saw your post 😅
To clarify, I did get the survey email. I just haven't received the Workday one either. There was directions in the survey email about what to do if you didn't get the workday email, and I followed those and still didn't get anything about Workday. So I am just a little bit confused.

I interviewed Dec 3 and haven't received that either. I just came on here to check if anyone else had that problem and saw your post 😅
To clarify, I did get the survey email. I just haven't received the Workday one either. There was directions in the survey email about what to do if you didn't get the workday email, and I followed those and still didn't get anything about Workday. So I am just a little bit confused.
I never received a workday email either but in the survey email they sent the link to the workday page. I ended up creating an account with my email from my app and it loaded my app in workday within 24 hours.

It's funny cause I soon as I made this post the next day I got both the workday email and the survey lol I am sorry you are still having trouble. Maybe do a follow up email to admissions they have been quick to answer lately.

I never received a workday email either but in the survey email they sent the link to the workday page. I ended up creating an account with my email from my app and it loaded my app in workday within 24 hours.
It's funny cause I soon as I made this post the next day I got both the workday email and the survey lol I am sorry you are still having trouble. Maybe do a follow up email to admissions they have been quick to answer lately.
Update: I got the Workday email today and was able to set up my account. Thank you both for responding!

• Love
I got the same email. What do you think it means? I've tried looking at past threads to see if people ended up receiving interviews but couldn't find much. Hopefully it's not a soft R.

What ended up happening? Did you get an invite?

Accepted at Joplin today. II on 11/9, Interviewed on November 12. OOS.

• Love
Accepted at Joplin today. II on 11/9, Interviewed on November 12. OOS.
Congratulations! I have an interview tomorrow... any last-minute tips for me? From what I've seen the interview is pretty conversational and generally laid back. Was this your experience? Thanks! :)

Congratulations! I have an interview tomorrow... any last-minute tips for me? From what I've seen the interview is pretty conversational and generally laid back. Was this your experience? Thanks! :)
True, it is conversational. On the other hand, the interview is an opportunity to show why you want to go to KCU.
Some advice: Keep your stamina up! The interview is preceded by welcome/presentations/student panel, so don't waste energy getting excited beforehand. Also be mindful of general virtual interview etiquette (quiet environment, look at the camera, treat it like an in-person interview). Otherwise, be yourself and remember you're a person talking to a person.

True, it is conversational. On the other hand, the interview is an opportunity to show why you want to go to KCU.
Some advice: Keep your stamina up! The interview is preceded by welcome/presentations/student panel, so don't waste energy getting excited beforehand. Also be mindful of general virtual interview etiquette (quiet environment, look at the camera, treat it like an in-person interview). Otherwise, be yourself and remember you're a person talking to a person.
Thank you! I appreciate the insight. :)