2020-2021 Kansas City University of Medicine and Biosciences (Joplin) KCU-COM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did you get an interview report?
Weird, i just checked and i can’t find it anymore. I downloaded it maybe I wasn’t suppose to see it 😬

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
It was on your Workday? Or?
Yea it was on my workday, when i clicked on the student onboard, if you went all the way down, you should see something called maintain your documents. Clicked on that and thats where i found it. All of the comments and a final score.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yea it was on my workday, when i clicked on the student onboard, if you went all the way down, you should see something called maintain your documents. Clicked on that and thats where i found it. All of the comments and a final score.
How many applied date changes did you see? I interviewed 2/5 and already saw my applied date change to 2/11. Seen a few others mention their applied dates changing and wasn't sure if that means good news coming for me or bad news? Wondering if my applied date will change a few more times before I hear back.

How many applied date changes did you see? I interviewed 2/5 and already saw my applied date change to 2/11. Seen a few others mention their applied dates changing and wasn't sure if that means good news coming for me or bad news? Wondering if my applied date will change a few more times before I hear back.
I think the dates of all folks have changed. I interviewed in the week prior to you. And the people who interviewed the week prior to me also had their date changed to 2/11.

I interviewed on 1/25, when should I expect to hear back? They said it can take up to 6 weeks, but I didn't know if it takes the full 6 weeks. Has anyone heard back yet from that interview date?
I think the average time is about 4 weeks. But some have gotten their decisions in just over 3 weeks if they interviewed later in the week.

I paid my acceptance deposit to the school recently, but did not receive anything other than the workday payment confirmation. Did others who paid their deposit already receive any additional info from the school afterward?

Hey guys, current first year female looking for a roommate for Century Towers, I already have an apartment here as well and will just renew my lease. Message me if you're down for a roomie!

I paid my acceptance deposit to the school recently, but did not receive anything other than the workday payment confirmation. Did others who paid their deposit already receive any additional info from the school afterward?
Yeah I got an email with another workday login/password which gives you access to compete the background check and immunization stuff. I can't remember how soon after I received it but I would just keep an eye out for it today

Can't find it in workday either, but would love to see my report lol

Just got my A today for Joplin!! Any current students- how do you recommend going about finding a place to live and how long before the first “event”/orientation did you move? TIA
current 4th year here. Plenty of apartments down here. The real estate has grown quite abit around the school. The plaza has a pool and a lot of students are there...fun in the summer. But bang for your buck I recommend getting a house.

Hey! Was accepted just before Christmas break! Can anyone (current students or people who know) talk about the apartments/houses or living options in the Kansas City campus? I'm OOS, do you think I will need a car? Any feedback is much appreciated as the deadline for the deposit is coming up!
Current 4th year. Spent a year on KC campus and I recommend living in Century Towers your first year. Plenty of your friends will have vehicles...but it is in a pretty rough area so you dont exactly want to be taking public transit from that area. I do believe its becoming a little more gentrified...and I saw apartments being build last time I was up there.

But I lived in CT for a year if you arent super high maintenance itll be fine. Its a ****ty apartment complex built out of an old hospital...but its convenient.

Members don't see this ad :)
current 4th year here. Plenty of apartments down here. The real estate has grown quite abit around the school. The plaza has a pool and a lot of students are there...fun in the summer. But bang for your buck I recommend getting a house.
Thanks I was looking there! I’m choosing to live alone my first year. I was also looking at a one bedroom at the villas but it is a bit pricier, reviewing the loan info I wasn’t sure if it would be enough to cover. Do you know? Like is what is on the estimated cost page really accurate?

Thanks I was looking there! I’m choosing to live alone my first year. I was also looking at a one bedroom at the villas but it is a bit pricier, reviewing the loan info I wasn’t sure if it would be enough to cover. Do you know? Like is what is on the estimated cost page really accurate?
how much do they say? I can tell you my first year my buddy and I split a house and I paid 450 for rent + 130 a month in utilities

Reactions: 1 users
we do get covered for KC cost of living. Youll be surprised how far your money goes down here.

how much do they say? I can tell you my first year my buddy and I split a house and I paid 450 for rent + 130 a month in utilities
Oh wow that’s super cheap. They’re saying 1125, coming from a big city that sounds like a nice price but yours is much better 😂

Current 4th year. Spent a year on KC campus and I recommend living in Century Towers your first year. Plenty of your friends will have vehicles...but it is in a pretty rough area so you dont exactly want to be taking public transit from that area. I do believe its becoming a little more gentrified...and I saw apartments being build last time I was up there.

But I lived in CT for a year if you arent super high maintenance itll be fine. Its a ****ty apartment complex built out of an old hospital...but its convenient.
I wouldn't recommend living in CT if you want to get away from being around med students. I don't live in CT and I love it. I already talk about medical school too much so i preferred not to also live with a bunch of KCU students talking about medical school.

I wouldn't recommend living in CT if you want to get away from being around med students. I don't live in CT and I love it. I already talk about medical school too much so i preferred not to also live with a bunch of KCU students talking about medical school.

Aren’t CT near the KC campus, or do they have one near the Joplin campus too? I don’t think living in KC will work if you’re attending Joplin though.

Can someone remind me again if the Pass/Fail curriculum is only a temporary thing for COVID or if it’s permanently in place. Thank you!

One thing to be conscious of when trying to budget, the money given to you for living(and the schools budget they give you) is for 10 months and not 12. Plus if you do need to get the medical insurance the school requires, its about 3K and they require you to basically pay it all up front, but it covers the whole year. If you get the whole loan, you get it in two parts(every 6 months) I believe it was $14,665 for the time in July and $12,665 in January.

Hopefully, this helps a little with planning.

Reactions: 5 users
Anyone interview at KCU on Feb 2nd and receive any updates yet?

ACCEPTED ! interviewed 1/22 as well.

so how do we find housing around the campus now?

Reactions: 7 users
Accepted to Joplin Campus! Could current students or people familiar with the area talk about what they think of Joplin? Would love to hear people’s input! I grew up in a suburban area so this would definitely be a change. Thanks!

Could any current students speak to when they received like an academic calendar or anything along those lines from KCU? I know it's a little early, I just committed to KCU a few months ago and haven't heard anything! I'm just trying to plan when I'd be moving down there :) thank you in advance!

Could any current students speak to when they received like an academic calendar or anything along those lines from KCU? I know it's a little early, I just committed to KCU a few months ago and haven't heard anything! I'm just trying to plan when I'd be moving down there :) thank you in advance!
school will most likey be beginning that july 26 (?) date? it's that Monday. but orientation starts 2 weeks before that for incoming 1st years

school will most likey be beginning that july 26 (?) date? it's that Monday. but orientation starts 2 weeks before that for incoming 1st years
I am trying to figure out how much of my budget to allocate for daycare. The kids will be in class from 7:45 am through 3 pm. How many days are we usually required to be on campus before/after this time. Also, any other parents I could reach out to for advice on neighborhoods, babysitting etc. Would be sooo helpful. <3 Obviously talking about M1/2 years.

I am trying to figure out how much of my budget to allocate for daycare. The kids will be in class from 7:45 am through 3 pm. How many days are we usually required to be on campus before/after this time. Also, any other parents I could reach out to for advice on neighborhoods, babysitting etc. Would be sooo helpful. <3 Obviously talking about M1/2 years.
we're on campus 2x per week with other random activities that require us to be on campus throughout the year (patient encounters, simulations). but as of now, only 4 hours per week.

I know many students at the Kansas City campus stay at Century Towers. I was wondering if there was any place like that for the Joplin Campus?

I know many students at the Kansas City campus stay at Century Towers. I was wondering if there was any place like that for the Joplin Campus?
No we have better accommodations than that mold factory called CT.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Really all over Joplin. Some in every apartment complex but some rent houses. It is super double, with or without roommates, to rent a house. There is a lot of houses near school. My apartment is maybe 10 minutes away from school and some consider my place "across town".

the Joplin version of CT would be the senior assisted living facility next door lol

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Did anyone else not get a payment confirmation for their matriculation deposit?

Hi, where in workday do we submit the matriculation deposit? I am having trouble finding it and it’s due Monday

Is it really that bad?
Lol no its not that bad. I lived there for a year. I know theyre redoing it though. Having said that...Its austere for sure but so so so convenient for first year and all the BS stuff you have to do on campus.